The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by Longhorned »

U of A still plans on August move-in day in the dorms and in-person, on-campus classes in the fall. But administrators are asking faculty if they can teach online instead.

The difficulty is that President Robbins unilaterally shut down tuition revenue streams to try to game the formulas for the bullshit rankings, so there was already a self-inflicted financial crisis even before the pandemic hit.

The undergraduate students and athletics will be fine, but the university needs to deflate its bloated administration, which is also a Robbins problem. If he isn’t forced to resign for his mismanagement and the lack of confidence in his leadership, the administration will instead come after staff, temp teaching budgets, and graduate programs. Faculty and staff furloughs are certain either way.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Good to hear Choo. Wonder if the potential new assistant may have some sway with Terrell Brown from USeattle as well. Seems like he would be a solid GT add (although we’ve certainly gone down that road before and been disappointed).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

From that list I'd only pay attention to Ziaire, Kerwin, Juzang, and Terrell Brown.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:U of A still plans on August move-in day in the dorms and in-person, on-campus classes in the fall. But administrators are asking faculty if they can teach online instead.

The difficulty is that President Robbins unilaterally shut down tuition revenue streams to try to game the formulas for the bullshit rankings, so there was already a self-inflicted financial crisis even before the pandemic hit.

The undergraduate students and athletics will be fine, but the university needs to deflate its bloated administration, which is also a Robbins problem. If he isn’t forced to resign for his mismanagement and the lack of confidence in his leadership, the administration will instead come after staff, temp teaching budgets, and graduate programs. Faculty and staff furloughs are certain either way.
One career track professor has already been told they won’t be retained next year in our department. A new hire has had their offer rescinded. Tenured and tenure track professors will be asked to increase their teaching loads. And we’ve all been warned to prepare for remote teaching. I’m sure it’s a fluid situation, but it’s not looking great right now. I also have no idea if my offer will be honored or rescinded. Fortunately I won’t suffer greatly if it is rescinded. But I feel for the others being impacted.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

goslingswagg wrote:Good to hear Choo. Wonder if the potential new assistant may have some sway with Terrell Brown from USeattle as well. Seems like he would be a solid GT add (although we’ve certainly gone down that road before and been disappointed).
Looking over his stats and having never seen him play:

Small guard, high usage and low efficiency. Rebounds well for his size, doesn't get to the line enough.

He likes to penetrate and get to the rim. The game above against GCU provides some reference on how bad some of the PNR defense is hes playing against.

Even so, 40% of his FGA last year were at the rim (he shot a lot) and he only converted 49.5%. The year prior 47% of his FGA were at the rim, converting only 53%.

For reference, last season Nico converted 54% of his attempts at the rim, Pritchard finished 60%, Remy Martin 61%, Ethan Thompson 56%, CJ Elleby 58%.
Last edited by TucsonClip on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:And we’ve all been warned to prepare for remote teaching.
You are not remote teaching now? Cal Poly starts back tomorrow after an extended spring break and 99% of classes are being taught remotely. Don't know which ones are still being taught on campus, but just guessing Animal Science and/or Crop Science. I cannot set foot on campus without permission from my director.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Merkin wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:And we’ve all been warned to prepare for remote teaching.
You are not remote teaching now? Cal Poly starts back tomorrow after an extended spring break and 99% of classes are being taught remotely. Don't know which ones are still being taught on campus, but just guessing Animal Science and/or Crop Science. I cannot set foot on campus without permission from my director.
Yes we are remote teaching now. But we’ve been told to prepare to continue into the fall. Possibly all classes within the college, but definitely incoming freshmen.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Good to hear Choo. Wonder if the potential new assistant may have some sway with Terrell Brown from USeattle as well. Seems like he would be a solid GT add (although we’ve certainly gone down that road before and been disappointed).

Small guard, high usage and low efficiency. Rebounds well for his size, doesn't get to the line enough.

He likes to penetrate and get to the rim. The game above against GCU provides some reference on how bad some of the PNR defense is hes playing against.

Even so, 40% of his FGA last year were at the rim (he shot a lot) and he only converted 49.5%. The year prior 47% of his FGA were at the rim, converting only 53%.

For reference, last season Nico converted 54% of his attempts at the rim, Pritchard finished 60%, Remy Martin 61%, Ethan Thompson 56%, CJ Elleby 58%.
Yup, he'd fit right in wouldn't he?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Sounds like a smaller version of Dylan Smith. Pass.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:Yup, he'd fit right in wouldn't he?
Yeah, I just don't get what Miller is looking for, outside of small transfer PGs who aren't very good.

-Shane Battier
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

zonagrad wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Sounds like a smaller version of Dylan Smith. Pass.
Pass for what??? We have a Swiss-Cheese roster at the moment. Miller has to take what he can get.

Beggars can't be choosers.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

TucsonClip wrote:
Yeah, I just don't get what Miller is looking for, outside of small transfer PGs who aren't very good.
:lol:

Yeah...
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

TucsonClip wrote:
Don’t want to be a Miller defender here but to be fair, he’s not the most efficient player but he averaged 21, 6, and 5 and was a first team all WAC player this year. At the very least, he’s an improvement on the grad transfers we’ve gotten in the recent past and could be a pretty quality backup PG (although I’m sure we’re selling him as a starter in a two PG system).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
Based on what else I think is going to happen with the roster he doesn't make any sense outside of I guess maybe Akinjo first semester insurance?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

goslingswagg wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Don’t want to be a Miller defender here but to be fair, he’s not the most efficient player but he averaged 21, 6, and 5 and was a first team all WAC player this year. At the very least, he’s an improvement on the grad transfers we’ve gotten in the recent past and could be a pretty quality backup PG (although I’m sure we’re selling him as a starter in a two PG system).
I know his usage isn't going to stay the same, but consider this: Brown would have led UA in usage by 10 percentage points and finished with the worst eFG% on the team by 5 points.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Based on what else I think is going to happen with the roster he doesn't make any sense outside of I guess maybe Akinjo first semester insurance?
That's the only thing that would make sense, as I don't really see a path to wanting them both to share the floor much, as they are both high usage, low efficiency guards. I guess you can make the case that they will be able to create offense for the other guys on the floor.

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Longhorned wrote:U of A still plans on August move-in day in the dorms and in-person, on-campus classes in the fall. But administrators are asking faculty if they can teach online instead.

One career track professor has already been told they won’t be retained next year in our department. A new hire has had their offer rescinded. Tenured and tenure track professors will be asked to increase their teaching loads. And we’ve all been warned to prepare for remote teaching. I’m sure it’s a fluid situation, but it’s not looking great right now. I also have no idea if my offer will be honored or rescinded. Fortunately I won’t suffer greatly if it is rescinded. But I feel for the others being impacted.
How can they increase teaching loads in a world without day care? How can anyone teach and grade with screaming children hanging on them?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: How can they increase teaching loads in a world without day care? How can anyone teach and grade with screaming children hanging on them?
My wife has a very good friend who is a pre-school teacher at the local JC (Alan Hancock) who is starting work Monday when the semester starts. I asked my wife: "who are the clients?" All students are taught remotely, so no one is on campus.

Maybe they are providing care for the instructor's children?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote: How can they increase teaching loads in a world without day care? How can anyone teach and grade with screaming children hanging on them?
My wife has a very good friend who is a pre-school teacher at the local JC (Alan Hancock) who is starting work Monday when the semester starts. I asked my wife: "who are the clients?" All students are taught remotely, so no one is on campus.

Maybe but that would be new at U of A. It seems like it would create the same infection problems as any day care, though.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Maybe but that would be new at U of A. It seems like it would create the same infection problems as any day care, though.
According to my wife's friend, they are not allowed to come in if they have the sniffles.

Looking it up, at least if you can trust Chinese studies, children may tend to be less asymptomatic than adults.

https://www.aappublications.org/news/20 ... irus031620" target="_blank

About 4% of children were asymptomatic, 51% had mild illness and 39% had moderate illness. About 6% had severe or critical illness, compared to 18.5% of adults.

But there is no way I would go to work there under any circumstances.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:How are we doing with Ivan Rabb? Thought we were leading for him.
Seems like it's also past time for 97Cats to update us on Ray Bolger's status.
Also Brian Bowen. We still leading?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

So you would think Tyrell Terry declaring for draft helps our chances with Zaire?!?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dude led all of Division 1 in 2 point FG attempts as a 6'1 guard.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Dude led all of Division 1 in 2 point FG attempts as a 6'1 guard.
There is a term for that in Spanish " No Bueno"
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Going after the 7'3" Purdue transfer.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Going after the 7'3" Purdue transfer.
Haarms would be a solid addition
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo, with the guys we have in the fold and if things go as we hope with other recruits what's your gut feeling lineup for next season?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Whose our next assistant coach?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Choo, with the guys we have in the fold and if things go as we hope with other recruits what's your gut feeling lineup for next season?
Even after all the dust settles I have no idea who our starters would be. Lot of things to be settled like Akinjo's first semester status and if we land Juzang, whether he gets immediate eligibility or not, plus who knows what Ziaire is thinking right now. Too many unknowns still. Jordan Brown is probably the only written in stone for sure starter on day 1.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lando05 wrote:Whose our next assistant coach?
Someone you know.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone you know.

Damon? I imagine an assistant at Arizona pays more than a HC at Pacific. Besides, Stockton v. Tucson and a straight path the Miller's job?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone you know.

Damon? I imagine an assistant at Arizona pays more than a HC at Pacific. Besides, Stockton v. Tucson and a straight path the Miller's job?
lol no.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone you know.
Simon......no, Jefferson......no, Dusan!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone you know.
Mom???
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe Jason Gardner?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Maybe Jason Gardner?
Good call J, last I heard he was out of work since his DUI.

I was think JeT, now retired, but he doesn't need to work all that hard now.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Merkin wrote:
Good call J, last I heard he was out of work since his DUI.

I was think JeT, now retired, but he doesn't need to work all that hard now.
I have no idea if it is JT, but I do know he wants to coach and was actively looking and reaching out before he got the GM job. Not sure why he did not land somewhere. Maybe choosy or wanted only HC job.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Trying to think who we might have either in the NW or aligned with that one recruits travel ball team. Thinking that is why he added us so late
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

No.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone you know.
Ndudi Ebi?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Someone you know.
:D
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Brandon Roy?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

and where's Ray Bolger?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Shay Binion?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Jet?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Lando05 wrote:Brandon Roy?
That was going to be my guess. Not much better NW connection with coaching experience (He is coaching at Garfield HS) out there. I would be very excited if that was the hire, although his Washington teams are right at the top of my list of teams I hated the most.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Lando05 wrote:Brandon Roy?
That was going to be my guess. Not much better NW connection with coaching experience (He is coaching at Garfield HS) out there. I would be very excited if that was the hire, although his Washington teams are right at the top of my list of teams I hated the most.
Gotta be JET or Roy I would think.
ralmom22

Post by ralmom22 »

I think it’s Jet. And that’s with no inside knowledge at all... haha. Today is the first day in what feels like forever I woke up thinking about Az basketball (in a hopeful manner no less!) before the daunting world issues came into my brain... this is great to have a glimmer of hope/excitement again !