The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by pc in NM »

Catintheheat wrote:I have come to the conclusion the Cats don't have what it takes to win close games. We don't have a leader, like Pritchard, who can make good things happen at the end of a game with the ball in his hands. For some reason Mannion becomes timid and lacks confidence when it is time to take over. I predict the Cats won't move past the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.
Mannion made a great play to get the three-shot foul on Pritchard...

... then missed 2 of 3 FT's!!

Walton talked over it; Pasch was shocked!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:I have come to the conclusion the Cats don't have what it takes to win close games. We don't have a leader, like Pritchard, who can make good things happen at the end of a game with the ball in his hands. For some reason Mannion becomes timid and lacks confidence when it is time to take over. I predict the Cats won't move past the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.
Mannion made a great play to get the three-shot foul on Pritchard...

... then missed 2 of 3 FT's!!

Walton talked over it; Pasch was shocked!!!
That was pretty funny when Walton was too distracted to notice,
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

That last second play to Koloko only works with Koloko. Anyone smaller with a shorter reach and the ball gets knocked away.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I don't believe Josh Green is ready for the NBA and don't believe he will be a first round pick. For one he can't shoot and for another he makes bad decisions on the court. Much of this is due to lack of skill and inexperience. He does have hustle and grit but is short for college ball. He needs to work on his shooting and decision-making.

Mannion may be good in time, but right now he is a little above average as a college player. He needs to work on high percentage plays. Why shoot a floater when a shot off the backboard is a higher percentage? He does not seem to want the ball with the game on the line. To top it off he doesn't have good time management, crucial for a PG. He waits too long to set up plays. And the more I see him I don't believe his court vision is where it needs to be. He might go first round based on potential. Yet, if I was a scout I would be skeptical of choosing him until he proves himself. He is not ready for the NBA.

NNaji is ready. Although I am not sure what position he can play. He is already a very good college player and IMO he is the best player on UA. I don't know if his draft status will be better than now. He just doesn't seem big enough to thrive in the NBA.

I want to see a lot more Koloko. His potential is off the charts. I believe he will improve much more if he says major PT before the tourney.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:We had TWO chances to win at the line and we choke.

And some of you wonder why we're so negative?!
Is this one Miller’s fault too?
How about the slow down offense, which led to zero points in the last 3 minutes?

His guys missed those free throws yes, but the point is Arizona shouldn't have needed to be in position to make those free throws to win or tie the god damn game.
I’m not saying Miller is blameless. We shouldn’t have taken our foot off the pedal. But my point was specifically, was it Miller’s fault that we went 1 for our last 7 free throws?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:We really have zero good wins this year, fellas. Say what you want about Colorado, USC, and ASU, but you know and I know that none of those teams is winning the league.

Miller’s teams always struggle to win close games. Always.
Yup he kills the fun.

No confidence.

East coast tough guy prick.

Fuck Miller.
This is why I avoid this board like the plague after a loss.

All you mean girls enjoying filling in the Burn Book? Fucking calm down Regina...
This x 1000
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:

How about the slow down offense, which led to zero points in the last 3 minutes?

His guys missed those free throws yes, but the point is Arizona shouldn't have needed to be in position to make those free throws to win or tie the god damn game.
I’m not saying Miller is blameless. We shouldn’t have taken our foot off the pedal. But my point was specifically, was it Miller’s fault that we went 1 for our last 7 free throws?
No idea how much time they spend practicing FTs. I do know Oregon was much steadier from the line yesterday.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:

It was Miller's fault Koloko was out there instead of Nnaji, so it is partly his fault.

He also probably should've pulled Green after that fall, but I understand letting him shoot there.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I don’t mean to pick on the kid, but the loss is on Josh Green. He’s got to make one of those free throws. For whatever reason this team as a whole does not shoot pressure free throws well. I don’t think there is anything Miller can do about that. I think it’s simply mental makeup. We have a skilled group of players but they don’t seem to be mentally tough.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

AZCatGirl wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:

It was Miller's fault Koloko was out there instead of Nnaji, so it is partly his fault.

He also probably should've pulled Green after that fall, but I understand letting him shoot there.
Koloko was in for defense - good move; Miller tried to sub, but wasn’t allowed....

If Green couldn’t shoot the FT’s , Altman would have been given the choice of who would shoot them - that’s the rule!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
If Green couldn’t shoot the FT’s , Altman would have been given the choice of who would shoot them - that’s the rule!
Of the 4 other guys currently on the court, which were the other 4 normal starters I believe.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RaisingArizona wrote:I don’t mean to pick on the kid, but the loss is on Josh Green. He’s got to make one of those free throws. For whatever reason this team as a whole does not shoot pressure free throws well. I don’t think there is anything Miller can do about that. I think it’s simply mental makeup. We have a skilled group of players but they don’t seem to be mentally tough.

Disagree completely.

How about Nico going 1 for 3 after being fouled by Pritchard?

How about Koloko bricking 2 at the end??

How about the entire team being outrebounded 8-1 in OT???

One just can't look at one play (or FT) in an entire game and blame the loss on that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RaisingArizona wrote:I don’t mean to pick on the kid, but the loss is on Josh Green. He’s got to make one of those free throws. For whatever reason this team as a whole does not shoot pressure free throws well. I don’t think there is anything Miller can do about that. I think it’s simply mental makeup. We have a skilled group of players but they don’t seem to be mentally tough.
Josh Green looked like he had a catastrophic brain injury. Maybe cut him the tiniest bit of slack? Or perhaps we should all bounce our heads off a basketball court and then sink two free throws to show him what a wimp he is?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Of the 4 other guys currently on the court, which were the other 4 normal starters I believe.
wasn’t Koloko in at the time? I’ve tried to recall, but can’t.

In any case, I think the entire U of Zero team expected to lose....

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
wasn’t Koloko in at the time? I’ve tried to recall, but can’t.

In any case, I think the entire U of Zero team expected to lose....
Nope, it was the 5 starters on the court at that time.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Catastrophic brain injury? Was he concussed? I hadn’t heard that. I don’t think I’m being overly hard on the kid. Good player and A+ human being from all reports. I think he’d be the first to admit that he has to get one of those to do down.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

dmjcat wrote:

Disagree completely.

One just can't look at one play (or FT) in an entire game and blame the loss on that.
Sure, there were plenty of other opportunities. I guess this is the question I would ask you then. If Josh Green gets one of those free throws to go down do
we win that game?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:

No idea how much time they spend practicing FTs. I do know Oregon was much steadier from the line yesterday.
U of A was 74.1% going into last night, 2nd best in conference. This was tough luck not a lack of skill or coaching
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RaisingArizona wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Disagree completely.

Sure, there were plenty of other opportunities. I guess this is the question I would ask you then. If Josh Green gets one of those free throws to go down do
we win that game?
Ummm yeah.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RaisingArizona wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Disagree completely.

we win that game?
Yes, and if anyone else had hit one if the 11 FT's we missed we win or if we had grabbed even 1 more rebound in OT.......etc, etc. etc. we would have won.

Again, its ridiculous to look at any one play in a college BBall game and say that determined the outcome. The outcome of the game was determined by the cumulative effect of EVERY missed free throw/shot/rebound/blown defensive assignment/assist in the game.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I love the passion of our posters and most Arizona fans. It is what makes us all fanatics.
I also appreciate Ira’s not so subtle reminder that this is a game and they are kids. I hate social media. It has the power to do so much good but is used so negatively.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Outside of one schmuck here I haven't seen any one blame Josh or Christian for a damn thing.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Outside of one schmuck here I haven't seen any one blame Josh or Christian for a damn thing.
Not saying it is anyone here. Definitely enough blame to go around. Always some bad apples that go too far.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m still trying to figure out why Nico didn’t lob to Koloko at end of regulation.
He got to the rim but it seemed like the play was for him to clear out so Zeke could go to the rim.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

dmjcat wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Disagree completely.

we win that game?
Yes, and if anyone else had hit one if the 11 FT's we missed we win or if we had grabbed even 1 more rebound in OT.......etc, etc. etc. we would have won.

Again, its ridiculous to look at any one play in a college BBall game and say that determined the outcome. The outcome of the game was determined by the cumulative effect of EVERY missed free throw/shot/rebound/blown defensive assignment/assist in the game.
For an 80% shooter to miss both free throws when one wins the game is damn near the equivalent of a kicker missing a PAT to tie the game with no time left. In both situations there were plenty of other ways the game could’ve been won. But it’s rare when one particular play in of itself could’ve locked up the game and I believe that to be the case with Josh’s free throws.

Obviously I touched a nerve with a few on here. That was hardly my intent. I was just, as I see it, calling a spade a spade. If others disagree that’s fine. I wasn’t suggesting that Josh Green was a bad player or that he’s a perpetual choke artist. I just feel that you’re a 79% free throw shooter and you see your that level of player you have to find a way to make one.

Oh well, plenty of time left in the season for Josh to get some sweet redemption.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

RaisingArizona wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Disagree completely.

we win that game?

For an 80% shooter to miss both free throws when one wins the game is damn near the equivalent of a kicker missing a PAT to tie the game with no time left. In both situations there were plenty of other ways the game could’ve been won. But it’s rare when one particular play in of itself could’ve locked up the game and I believe that to be the case with Josh’s free throws.

Obviously I touched a nerve with a few on here. That was hardly my intent. I was just, as I see it, calling a spade a spade. If others disagree that’s fine. I wasn’t suggesting that Josh Green was a bad player or that he’s a perpetual choke artist. I just feel that you’re a 79% free throw shooter and you see your that level of player you have to find a way to make one.

Oh well, plenty of time left in the season for Josh to get some sweet redemption.
So, there was a late February game, in a universe far away and long ago, when a All-American made a late game shot (he had missed 15 of his first 20 shots!!) to give his team the lead, and then the freshman star of the opponent missed the front-end of a one-and-one that could have tied/won the game... The winners were #1 in the next poll!!

The hero (6/21) was Sean Elliot

the “goat” was Christian Laetner (he later did, in fact, redeem himself, BTW)

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Has anyone heard if Josh is actually OK?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
prh

Post by prh »

In both regulation and OT, our timeouts lasted longer than Oregon.

Watching that play right in front of me, Josh did not look right before those FTs. He's gotta pull himself. Sorry, we've all been athletes and we get it, but you HAVE to know better.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Maybe someone from the coaching/training staff should have checked him out.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Postmaster wrote:Maybe someone from the coaching/training staff should have checked him out.
If you do that, then Green has to be removed. You don’t get to “check someone out” and not exit the game. And at that point, Altman then decides who shoots the FT.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Maybe someone from the coaching/training staff should have checked him out.
If you do that, then Green has to be removed. You don’t get to “check someone out” and not exit the game. And at that point, Altman then decides who shoots the FT.
He would've decided between Nico, Dylan, Stone, or Zeke. Dylan would've probably been the choice, but I think the guy could've hit at least 1.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Happy Monday, guys!

Another week, another 2 games we need to win to lock up a halfway decent seed. Anyone wanna go on record that we’ll win both this week? Going once! Do I hear 1-1? Anyone??

No idea if Josh will even play this week.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:Happy Monday, guys!

Another week, another 2 games we need to win to lock up a halfway decent seed. Anyone wanna go on record that we’ll win both this week? Going once! Do I hear 1-1? Anyone??

Why would he not? Do you have references to where he might not?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Concussions are a bitch.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

The loss definitely sucks...but just in response to what many are saying:
- I actually think Green is a GREAT player. He isn't a top scorer but he does all the little things and is extremely athletic. He could do the best in the NBA out of all 3 freshman. Im going to cut him some slack on the missed free throws considering he got hammered right before them and looked like he didnt even know where he was. That's hard to get up from and make two key free throws.
- Can't blame the loss on Koloko in over Nnaji. It speaks to Koloko's length and athleticism, but I really don't believe Nnaji reaches out to catch that pass and makes the play Koloko did at the end. So I don't believe NNaji is even at the line if he's in there. Koloko is developing extremely well. Again, hard free throws to make. Im sure he's disappointed he didnt knock them down.
- We were just one small thing away from winning which is why it's so frustrating. ONE FT from Green or Koloko. ONE secured board at the end. If we play Oregon 10 times I think we win at least 4...and they are very good.
- Blame goes all around in this one. Cant just focus on Green and Koloko. Mannion missed some key FTs. Baker took some poor shots, we took a while to even come close to stopping Pritchett. The offense has to be better. Someone has to step up in some of these games and carry us. I did get the feeling for a bit that hazzard was going to have one of those great games and carry this team. But he was on the bench way too often for Baker. I like Baker but he wasnt that spectacular in this one.
- Who is our playmaker? Who will carry us to a win when the rest of the team isnt on or someone on the opposing team is destroying us. If it's Zeke than why aren't we getting him the ball more? If it's Nico why isn't he being more aggressive? It's February and the team is still lacking an identity. Thats probably whats most concerning to me.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Happy Monday, guys!

Im confident saying 1-1. Depending how we do in the PAC tournament Im still hopeful for a 5-6 seed.
eoe

Post by eoe »

billk78 wrote:The loss definitely sucks...but just in response to what many are saying:
- I actually think Green is a GREAT player. He isn't a top scorer but he does all the little things and is extremely athletic. He could do the best in the NBA out of all 3 freshman. Im going to cut him some slack on the missed free throws considering he got hammered right before them and looked like he didnt even know where he was. That's hard to get up from and make two key free throws.
- Can't blame the loss on Koloko in over Nnaji. It speaks to Koloko's length and athleticism, but I really don't believe Nnaji reaches out to catch that pass and makes the play Koloko did at the end. So I don't believe NNaji is even at the line if he's in there. Koloko is developing extremely well. Again, hard free throws to make. Im sure he's disappointed he didnt knock them down.
- We were just one small thing away from winning which is why it's so frustrating. ONE FT from Green or Koloko. ONE secured board at the end. If we play Oregon 10 times I think we win at least 4...and they are very good.
- Blame goes all around in this one. Cant just focus on Green and Koloko. Mannion missed some key FTs. Baker took some poor shots, we took a while to even come close to stopping Pritchett. The offense has to be better. Someone has to step up in some of these games and carry us. I did get the feeling for a bit that hazzard was going to have one of those great games and carry this team. But he was on the bench way too often for Baker. I like Baker but he wasnt that spectacular in this one.
- Who is our playmaker? Who will carry us to a win when the rest of the team isnt on or someone on the opposing team is destroying us. If it's Zeke than why aren't we getting him the ball more? If it's Nico why isn't he being more aggressive? It's February and the team is still lacking an identity. Thats probably whats most concerning to me.
Great post...

Split this week is nice, sweep would be great.

Zero concern with UW and Wazzou at home the last week. This week is for it all, truly. Hoping ASU actually garners a team's full attention for once.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Man that loss was just brutal. I’m still pretty pissed off. This is a HUGE week for the Cats, and Im really curious how they respond to that loss on a tough road trip. I still have hope that these guys can put it together.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Concussions are a bitch.
Please link something that says he has a concussion and is questionable for Thursday
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:
Please link something that says he has a concussion and is questionable for Thursday
You do know that CST is a medical doctor don't you? Not that he examined Green.
Note too that there are FERPA and HIPAA issues with student athletes.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

All conjecture Phx, But with the force involved prior to his free throws from what I saw and what merkin posted, you have to check on him. To ask the athlete to take themselves out is a bit rich. Pac12 rules are bullshit if they prevent coach from looking after the health and safety of his players (Altman would choose the RT shooter?!?)

On one hand we say they are kids to excuse away losses, but in this situation the player has to “man up” and shoot free throws?

Sorry doesn’t fly with me.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
You do know that CST is a medical doctor don't you? Not that he examined Green.
Note too that there are FERPA and HIPAA issues with student athletes.
I know that but there has not been a single thing by any beat writer or Miller or Schheer that he is questionable. If he has a concussion that isnt a surprise but we would have seen something by now from someone that he was questionable
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:All conjecture Phx, But with the force involved prior to his free throws from what I saw and what merkin posted, you have to check on him. To ask the athlete to take themselves out is a bit rich. Pac12 rules are bullshit if they prevent coach from looking after the health and safety of his players (Altman would choose the RT shooter?!?)

On one hand we say they are kids to excuse away losses, but in this situation the player has to “man up” and shoot free throws?

I agree, he needed to be checked out and that likely cost the game. If Green was okay getting a little bit of time would have helped. And I trust any of Smith Nnaji Manion or Gettings hits one if Green comes out
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:All conjecture Phx, But with the force involved prior to his free throws from what I saw and what merkin posted, you have to check on him. To ask the athlete to take themselves out is a bit rich. Pac12 rules are bullshit if they prevent coach from looking after the health and safety of his players (Altman would choose the RT shooter?!?)

I agree, he needed to be checked out and that likely cost the game. If Green was okay getting a little bit of time would have helped. And I trust any of Smith Nnaji Manion or Gettings hits one if Green comes out
You trust Dylan Smith? Really? Because I don't. Not for a second. Do I think he could make just one FT out of two with the game on the line? Yes. But he's the last person I want in that position. The only guys I'd prefer Smith over would be Ira Lee or Koloko.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

You trust Dylan Smith? Really? Because I don't. Not for a second. Do I think he could make just one FT out of two with the game on the line? Yes. But he's the last person I want in that position. The only guys I'd prefer Smith over would be Ira Lee or Koloko.
We only needed one of the two to fall at the time. I trust him to make one. He had the biggest balls down the stretch until the final play
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

zonagrad wrote:
At that point, watching him roll around for that long, I felt it was more important to have him checked out than to let him stay in to shoot.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Postmaster wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
At that point, watching him roll around for that long, I felt it was more important to have him checked out than to let him stay in to shoot.
I agree. Also, if you watch the tv broadcast while he is rolling around Dylan Smith (I think thats who it was) was yelling at him to hurry up and get up because he won't be able to take his FTs if he stays down.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

billk78 wrote:
Postmaster wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
I agree. Also, if you watch the tv broadcast while he is rolling around Dylan Smith (I think thats who it was) was yelling at him to hurry up and get up because he won't be able to take his FTs if he stays down.
I saw & heard that, too.... Seemed a bit cold!

― Kinky Friedman
eoe

Post by eoe »

pc in NM wrote:
billk78 wrote:
Postmaster wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
I saw & heard that, too.... Seemed a bit cold!
Young men and competitive sports... :)

They knew what was on the line, but it was the wrong choice. Coaches "expect" players to tell them when they need out and players feel pressure to keep moving along lest they be labeled "soft", "weak", or "unreliable"
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If we finish the regular season behind both ASU and UCLA, I'm not sure how someone can honestly say this year wasn't a failure.

The talent on our roster compared to those 2 aren't even close.