Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

baycat93

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by baycat93 »

just want to jump in with some mutual admiration. Really enjoying him.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

PennZona20 wrote:First team AA and final four MOP. Mark it down.

Also this is happening.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

scumdevils86 wrote:we haven't won anything yet...

We will. Trier is going to be a first team AA , likely POY, and Final Four most outstanding player. I said it from the moment he declared his intentions to return and nothing I have seen has changed my mind.

His jersey will be in the rafters by the time it’s all said and done.
gumby

Post by gumby »

He looks so comfortable. As for defense, all of the guards will have to bring it against Villanova and ASU (which suddenly has bigs who aren't afterthoughts).
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gumby wrote:
Trier is at the top of the early KenPom POY rankings as well.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Strange Sexton isn't there
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Zo's back baby! They let the Monstar out the cage!
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

He is so lost on defense when his man doesn’t have the ball. He is a Competent on-ball defender...totally lost on defense otherwise. He is trying to jump passing lanes instead of keeping his man in front of him. He gets beat a lot by losing track of his man.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

He needs to stop dribbling the air out of the ball.
In that regard, so far the 2 Battle 4 Atlantis games remind me a lot of the Xavier game from last years NCAA.
When he decides to dribble for 15 seconds straight our already poor off ball movement gets even worse. The other players just stand and watch the Trier dribbling exhibition.
It would be easy to look at his scoring totals and say he is one of the bright spots for us. I do not agree with that. He is hurting more than he is helping when he over dribbles.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beefcurtainsandwich wrote:He needs to stop dribbling the air out of the ball.
In that regard, so far the 2 Battle 4 Atlantis games remind me a lot of the Xavier game from last years NCAA.
When he decides to dribble for 15 seconds straight our already poor off ball movement gets even worse. The other players just stand and watch the Trier dribbling exhibition.
It would be easy to look at his scoring totals and say he is one of the bright spots for us. I do not agree with that. He is hurting more than he is helping when he over dribbles.
I hate to read this - I had exactly this judgment of his performance against Xavier, and had hoped he would have learned from that....

I haven't seen these games because of the TV blackout (IMNSHO - WTF!!!), so could not judge for myself.

If the above observations are accurate (and I believe they probably are), I'd have to say that unless he changes significantly, he will never lead a team to where we all hope to go....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

pc in NM wrote:
I haven't seen these games because of the TV blackout (IMNSHO - WTF!!!), so could not judge for myself.
pc in NM,

Do you have high speed internet? If so, you just need to get a Roku, Fire Stick, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc.

Then no TV blackout. It's 2017 - this is the new model for a lot of sports.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

UAEebs86 wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
pc in NM,

Do you have high speed internet? If so, you just need to get a Roku, Fire Stick, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc.

Then no TV blackout. It's 2017 - this is the new model for a lot of sports.
When Duke, KU, UNC and MSU fans had to, I probably would....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Waiting for him to tweet something lame like "first they love you then they hate you" like he did after his Xavier audition.

Wish he went pro last year.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

um, put the monstar back in the cage and pass to Ayton?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He's in jerryd Bayless territory for me, but bayless gets the pass cause those teams were bad.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Trier giveth, trier taketh away.

My motto from last season.

I swear when he goes ISO and bricks a shot within 10seconds of the shot clock, without a look or pass to a teammate, it just makes me go insane.

He had it going on against scrub teams but reverted once we faced actual competition.

Sad. I had high hopes for him and his maturity going into this season.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Only competes when he has the ball. Bad example. His teammates know they aren't getting the ball back and they aren't going to get defensive help from him. That has to be fixed. He's been scouted and figured out. Now he needs to trust his teammates.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

these last few days I've been asking myself, how is Trier any better or different than York? Maybe York even better. He definitely was from 3.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bordercat wrote:these last few days I've been asking myself, how is Trier any better or different than York? Maybe York even better. He definitely was from 3.
Trier reminded me so much of York during the SMU game when he was bringing the ball down for the last shot and completely lost the ball. Something York did 3 times in one season, just dribbled the ball off his foot.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:
Bordercat wrote:these last few days I've been asking myself, how is Trier any better or different than York? Maybe York even better. He definitely was from 3.
Trier reminded me so much of York during the SMU game when he was bringing the ball down for the last shot and completely lost the ball. Something York did 3 times in one season, just dribbled the ball off his foot.
But I don't necessarily remember York winning the Bryce Alford Memorial Award (going to the player that plays over 30 minutes in a game without picking up a single personal foul) very often.

I mean, winning the Bryce is a special level of avoiding/refusing to play defense.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol. Yeah
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Trier's combo of strengths and liabities reminds me of Mark Lyons more than York...

... as does Miller's seeming failure to manage/discipline the liabilities.

I believe Lute would have both used some pine-time lectures, and post-game commentary to deliver clear and strong expectations....

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’m gonna have to go back and watch last season’s Pac tourney, but I seem to recall Trier playing very, very well, and not just from an individual standpoint. He seemed to gel with his teammates. Everything was clicking. And that was only 8 months ago.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good point PC, Lute was never afraid to call out players publicly.

Can't recall anyone being more Kobe like in not sharing the rock like Trier though. You know if you pass Trier the ball you won't get it back.

I recall one year Lute had a minimum 3 passes before shooting rule.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Waiting for him to tweet something lame like "first they love you then they hate you" like he did after his Xavier audition.

Wish he went pro last year.
He did just tweet and snap something yesterday about the winner of the race is the one that endures the most...or some BS like that.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Trier was brutal these last few games - selfish, inefficient, slow defensively, everything that frustrates you about him.

I especially liked the shot off the side of the backboard that was a fade away attempt with 3 defenders around him.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

It's kind of a chicken or the egg thing - is he trying to take over because no one besides Ayton (and Randolph in game 3) is able to do anything, or are they not able to do anything because he is trying to take over the game himself? He didn't try to take over the games before Atlantis when other players were able to score due to the level of competition being so much lower.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:He didn't try to take over the games before Atlantis when other players were able to score due to the level of competition being so much lower.
Not this season of course, but this season reminds so much of the Xavier game last year when Trier went hero ball. Gave him a pass though, since Markkanen completely disappeared the last 8 minutes and wanted nothing to do with the ball.

Now, Trier going 1 on 3 or 1 on 4 is just crazy.

I would have pulled him. Nothing like pine time to teach a lesson.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:Good point PC, Lute was never afraid to call out players publicly.

Can't recall anyone being more Kobe like in not sharing the rock like Trier though. You know if you pass Trier the ball you won't get it back.

Marcus Williams, except trier is a better athlete.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Merkin wrote:Good point PC, Lute was never afraid to call out players publicly.

Marcus Williams, except trier is a better athlete.
DING DING DING.... we have a winner.

Great call, CST.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Called out by Miller for defense. Will he respond?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Worked for Lute, for the most part. Never afraid to call out players by name.

gumby

Post by gumby »

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Sounds like hes trying to get Trier to be the vocal leader, but expecting that to come via his defense, and it to be better than average, is a bit... optimistic.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sounds like we are up shit creek...remains to be seen if we have a paddle at the moment in time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:Sounds like hes trying to get Trier to be the vocal leader, but expecting that to come via his defense, and it to be better than average, is a bit... optimistic.
Zo has tools to be good on D. If Zo wants to be really good, he has to be more than just a scorer.

We need a leader who can carry it through on the court. That isn't PJC or Dusan. Trier and Rawle are our best options there. Miller called out Zo last year to good effect. I hope this is the same.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Sounds like hes trying to get Trier to be the vocal leader, but expecting that to come via his defense, and it to be better than average, is a bit... optimistic.
Zo has tools to be good on D. If Zo wants to be really good, he has to be more than just a scorer.
I would disagree. I think he can be fine on defense, but ive yet to see the consistent intensity, focus, determination to be more than average. Weve seen him be pretty good for short stints last season, usually with the game on the line or during a big run of his, and on the ball. However, he doesnt have the length or lateral quickness to help him when he isnt 100% locked in.

If Miller was expecting him to be the team's best defender, which really isnt saying much this season - and I find hard to believe, then Miller already knows we are going to struggle defensively. Thats his fault for the guys he has on the roster.

I mean, I spoke about it after last season, and before Akot reclassified. Who the hell was going to defend the perimeter this season? We are seeing that play out.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
gumby

Post by gumby »

Don't know that he expected him to be the best, but certainly better. We have no shortage of bodies at the 2 and 3 slots. Fierce competition for playing time. Miller can't be any clearer on what guys have to do to win that competition. D-up.

Tony Bennett has had success with packline at Wazzu and Virginia, without having amazing athletes. It's about positioning, execution and working in concert. Can't have guys checking out at that end or it falls apart rapidly, as we've just witnessed.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Trier has been awful on defense, like the worst on the team. His body language is also the worst, along with his recent shot selections and decisions on offense.

Defense is about effort, not talent. You have to have the desire to play good defense. Trier has talent, but I wonder about the desire.

This team will go as he goes. If he pulls it together, they'll be fine. If he continues what he showed last week this season will not be what it could be.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Hater!

j/k
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I would disagree. I think he can be fine on defense, but ive yet to see the consistent intensity, focus, determination to be more than average. Weve seen him be pretty good for short stints last season, usually with the game on the line or during a big run of his, and on the ball. However, he doesnt have the length or lateral quickness to help him when he isnt 100% locked in.

If Miller was expecting him to be the team's best defender, which really isnt saying much this season - and I find hard to believe, then Miller already knows we are going to struggle defensively. Thats his fault for the guys he has on the roster.

I mean, I spoke about it after last season, and before Akot reclassified. Who the hell was going to defend the perimeter this season? We are seeing that play out.
I think that's the point of Miller being direct about what Trier needs to do. He can be good and the current level of his inconsistency is getting us bad results. If Trier wants to be a leader or enhance his NBA future, that inconsistency needs to bleed itself out.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

All the time in the gym do you think Trier is running drills on D?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:All the time in the gym do you think Trier is running drills on D?
Nah he's working on his step back jumper for end of game tweets like the one he just posted. Cause you know, unranked teams aren't on sports center. :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Build your brand, Zo.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Was that Sportscenter, filling up the stat page bit from Miller last night a message for a certain someone....?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

All I want is a mix of Allonzo Trier and Nick Johnson is that so hard goddamn it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:All I want is a mix of Allonzo Trier and Nick Johnson is that so hard goddamn it.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:All I want is a mix of Allonzo Trier and Nick Johnson is that so hard goddamn it.
Thank you Spiff!! That's what I'm talking about - I want a murderer for-hire-out there.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

You mean you don't think Allonzo Trier could have done this with his own DNA?

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law