Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by gumby »

Yeah, the committee chair basically confirmed geography emphasis today. Money (attendance ) trumps all. I'm for old school, too. So much so, I'd dump the conference tourney. But Murray State runs the table, and is out. Why? Money.
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Machina wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I don't get why Kansas just loses and loses but is still considered by some a 2 seed. Remember when we lost 6 regular season games two years ago and we're made a 6 seed?
Kansas has the #1 SOS. It should go for something. Not that a 2 is right for them
SOS should matter, but as others have said, you've got to freaking win some of them, right?! I don't think it's right to award simply on the basis of scheduling.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

The geography placement is a yearly advantage for Arizona, not sure why some of ya'll want a straight S curve. It does mean Arizona should stop scheduling SDSU, no reason why we have to beat the Aztecs and Zags 2x a year. I'd actually like to see Boise in the 10 slot as opposed to SDSU in the 7.

Arizona needs to the Zags to win the WCC to make it hard on the committee, could easily see them being given a 3 seed in the West even though they are a 2 on the S curve.

Arizona could have to get through SDSU, Gonzaga before beating a east/midwest school for a trip to the Final Four. Again.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

so boring.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Wow...Has 5 PAC schools, including Stanford slipping in before the door closes.

Funny, this bracket has more enticing 3s than 4s. Usually, the 4s are a solid step down from the 3s, making that #1 worth so much. Even last week, the 4s were all mid major or flawed major types. Now, the 3 line looks less stable.

You look for little paths to exploit and hope you get that path. But nothing will be certain until those brackets go up as to whether the 1s get a break with crappy 4s, or even an individual 1s 4-seed, and then a 13 might wipe them out (Cleveland State, Harvard, etc) and change the entire structure of the bracket.

But, yeah...still want that #1 - West. Bracket Matrix starting to show cracks in the dam...Arizona getting a handful of 1s. No strong change overall...Virginia's loss only dropped them in the list of 1s. But someone from the ACC 1 seeds is losing...which one is vulnerable enough to get below us if we win out. I thought it was Duke, but with Virginia's loss this week, another loss in the ACC, preferably not to Duke in a classic final, could be what we need to hop them.

http://bracketmatrix.com/

I am nervous that Wisconsin comes blowing by us. They are also winning impressively, beat us last year, and have a high profile POY candidate...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:

I am nervous that Wisconsin comes blowing by us. They are also winning impressively, beat us last year, and have a high profile POY candidate...
We're better this year, so the prospect of a rematch with Wisconsin in the regional final doesn't sound too ominous. But yeah. Kaminsky is a beast. He can carry that team back to the FF, and the supporting cast has been terrific. I'd be stoked if UK has Wisconsin as their #2 seed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
EVCat wrote:

We're better this year, so the prospect of a rematch with Wisconsin in the regional final doesn't sound too ominous. But yeah. Kaminsky is a beast. He can carry that team back to the FF, and the supporting cast has been terrific. I'd be stoked if UK has Wisconsin as their #2 seed.
Need Wisconsin to lose before reaching the B1G final to have that be possible. At least that is how I see it currently.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Need Wisconsin to lose before reaching the B1G final to have that be possible. At least that is how I see it currently.
They're not losing this week. B1G is WEAK!
ChattyPaddy

Post by ChattyPaddy »

With the geographical emphasis being important to the committee unless there is a collapse by the current projected 1 seeds I can easily see them placing Wisconsin with UK.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3 of the 83 Bracketmatrix brackets have us as a 1. I'm beginning to think we are locked into the West 2 seed.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Outside of 2 of Villanova, duke or Wisconsin losing in their semi-finals or earlier we're the 2.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote:3 of the 83 Bracketmatrix brackets have us as a 1. I'm beginning to think we are locked into the West 2 seed.

This is a big week, and nothing ever plays out as it appears intitally.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Virginia doesn't make the ACC Final, they have to be a 2 seed. Their offense has been el stinko and they'd have finished the season losing 2 out of their last 3. Plus, who knows when Justin Anderson will return from his appendectomy (I'm guessing he definitely won't play this week, and maybe not next either).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

There is no way that a 31-3, Pac12 Regular Season/Tournament champion Arizona with 3 wins vs Utah and 1 vs Zaga and 11 wins to end the season isn't the 1 seed West.

No matter what happens anywhere else.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:I don't care how good your SOS is if you lose to half or more of those good teams. Gotta beat some of them. Ku is 4 seed in my mind.
They're 7-4 agains the RPI top 25. We're 3-0. I agree you've gotta win your games, but playing 11 games against the top teams in the country is pretty ridiculous. The RPI simulators have them sitting at #2. While there's no way they get a #1 seed, I don't think they fall below a #3 unless they flame out early in the tournament. #2 if they win it.

They're 8-4 in their last 12, though, so chances of another Self-inflicted choke job are feeling high.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Kansas isn't getting past the Sweet-16.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:3 of the 83 Bracketmatrix brackets have us as a 1. I'm beginning to think we are locked into the West 2 seed.
That isn't a bad thing. West will probably get the weakest #1, so all that likely changes is our jersey color in a regional final (assuming).
loomer

Post by loomer »

I like our chances of a #1 if we win the tournament. I'm confident that one of Duke/Virginia gets knocked out early in the ACC tournament
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My assumption is based on no one losing ahead of us with both ACC teams reaching their tourney final.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

The fact the SEC may get 5 teams is ludicrous. LSU and Ole miss are terrible
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just heard the selection committee is letting the coaches of the Pac-12 determine the seedings this year.

Word on the street is that we are on the bubble.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:I just heard the selection committee is letting the coaches of the Pac-12 determine the seedings this year.

First 4 out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I just heard the selection committee is letting the coaches of the Pac-12 determine the seedings this year.

First 4 out.
Look, if Arizona didn't have the COY, POY or DPOY, do they really deserve to dance?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Frybry02 wrote:The fact the SEC may get 5 teams is ludicrous. LSU and Ole miss are terrible
Rpi wise the sec and Pac 12 have the exact same rpi. Sec looks like a 3 bid league to me

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We'd rock the NIT.

maybe.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

loomer wrote:I like our chances of a #1 if we win the tournament. I'm confident that one of Duke/Virginia gets knocked out early in the ACC tournament
If this team wins three games this week and does not earn a #1 seed, they may go down as the best AZ team in school history *not* to get a top seed.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Going to be the best Virginia or Wisconsin or Duke or Villanova team to not get a 1 seed, too.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

gumby wrote:Going to be the best Virginia or Wisconsin or Duke or Villanova team to not get a 1 seed, too.
Facetious or straight with this post, gumby?

K and Jay have both had better teams in the past five years.

If Notre Dame makes a run in the conference tourney and Kansas does not win theirs, I could see the Irish jumping the Jayhawks for that final 2 seed.

Arizona can only take care of its own business. And we will.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Cal is campaigning hard right now, and rightfully so, that the top 8 teams should be placed on a strict S curve, not placed geographically. I.e. it is ridiculous that Wisconsin would be placed in Kentucky's region as the #2. I totally agree with him on this. There are 7 teams that are deserving consideration for a #1 seed right now. Kentucky has certainly earned the right to be playing whoever that #8 team is.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Alieberman wrote:Cal is campaigning hard right now, and rightfully so, that the top 8 teams should be placed on a strict S curve, not placed geographically. I.e. it is ridiculous that Wisconsin would be placed in Kentucky's region as the #2. I totally agree with him on this. There are 7 teams that are deserving consideration for a #1 seed right now. Kentucky has certainly earned the right to be playing whoever that #8 team is.
Yes, I agree with this.

Even though as the likely "last" 1 or "first" 2 - this would not be the best case scenario for Arizona.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:
gumby wrote:Going to be the best Virginia or Wisconsin or Duke or Villanova team to not get a 1 seed, too.
Facetious or straight with this post, gumby?

K and Jay have both had better teams in the past five years.

If Notre Dame makes a run in the conference tourney and Kansas does not win theirs, I could see the Irish jumping the Jayhawks for that final 2 seed.

Arizona can only take care of its own business. And we will.
What were the seeds of those teams? All I'm saying is that there are more than four teams deserving of 1 seeds, and in any other year, they'd get one. Arizona is not alone in this regard.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Cal is campaigning hard right now, and rightfully so, that the top 8 teams should be placed on a strict S curve, not placed geographically. I.e. it is ridiculous that Wisconsin would be placed in Kentucky's region as the #2. I totally agree with him on this. There are 7 teams that are deserving consideration for a #1 seed right now. Kentucky has certainly earned the right to be playing whoever that #8 team is.
I agree. Give him Kansas.

The geographic emphasis is a huge benefit for Arizona, but it really doesn't make sense in producing the best tourney. Thing is, I doubt it matters for UK, but if they catch a #2 who is better than #8 overall, that team gets hosed.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I like things the way they are, though I will agree a lot of that is for selfish reasons. Also, the west coast gets shitted on for the most part anyhow, with east coast bias, people in those other time zones not getting to see many of our games, etc, so I think the minor handicap may be warranted.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Imagine how it was when UCLA was making its runs under Wooden. All the Western teams (had to win conference) in one region with no hope of a Final Four.

One year, USC, with Westphal, was 25-2 and didn't dance. Might've been the second best team in the nation.

So the West hasn't always benefited.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Please give UK either Wisconsin or Virginia as a 2. I expect UVA to fall this week, either to Duke or someone else, and end up a 2. And unless Kansas wins the Big 12 tourney, they *have* to be a 3, don't they??
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Please give UK either Wisconsin or Virginia as a 2. I expect UVA to fall this week, either to Duke or someone else, and end up a 2. And unless Kansas wins the Big 12 tourney, they *have* to be a 3, don't they??
They'll get rewarded for their fake RPI.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Please give UK either Wisconsin or Virginia as a 2. I expect UVA to fall this week, either to Duke or someone else, and end up a 2. And unless Kansas wins the Big 12 tourney, they *have* to be a 3, don't they??
UCLA lost a bunch of games to good teams, too, so don't they deserve like at least a 5 seed?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
UCLA lost a bunch of games to good teams, too, so don't they deserve like at least a 5 seed?
That's different. Fuegs isn't a fan of FUCLA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How can Kansas be anything less than a 1 seed?? Aren't they technically undefeated since every loss was on a terrible call to a team that would win the Pac12?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:How can Kansas be anything less than a 1 seed?? Aren't they technically undefeated since every loss was on a terrible call to a team that would win the Pac12?
Clearly a .5 seed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Jay Williams said during the to zagS game last night that with a zags win they are #2 in the west and arizona is a 2 elsewhere. Stated the no offense meme and 3 bad losses as reasons.

Rubbish.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Right at this moment he might be right but after the conference tourney is over we should compare resumes.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CalStateTempe wrote:Jay Williams said during the to zagS game last night that with a zags win they are #2 in the west and arizona is a 2 elsewhere. Stated the no offense meme and 3 bad losses as reasons.

Rubbish.
I'm confused. A few weeks back before we swept the mountain schools and completely embarrassed Stanford and Cal, he was swinging from our nuts and inferring we were going to be national champions. The resumes aren't even close as is.
'ZONA97

Post by 'ZONA97 »

So, let me get this straight: The WCC regular season and tourney champs get to stay in the West, but the Pac-12 regular season and tourney champs get shipped out?

When the Pac-12 regular season and tourney champs beat the WCC regular season and tourney champs head to head?

LMFAO. That's not happening.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

'ZONA97 wrote:So, let me get this straight: The WCC regular season and tourney champs get to stay in the West, but the Pac-12 regular season and tourney champs get shipped out?

When the Pac-12 regular season and tourney champs beat the WCC regular season and tourney champs head to head?

LMFAO. That's not happening.

I don't care if AZ loses in the pac12 tournament, there's no freakin way zags deserve a 2 in the west with us getting shipped out.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

We left our #1 NCAA seed somewhere in Las Vegas last December. Now we are back there looking for it.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I think the Cats have to win the Pac-12 tournament to get the #2 seed in the West
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I think you are wrong.

But we will never know.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What basis is there for gonzaga to get the 2 ahead of us? They are 1 behind us in the rpi, have a much weaker sos, have lost more recently and....we beat them.