Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by Longhorned »

It’s no consolation that Trier will somehow be inspired by this. He simply got screwed. No silver lining.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

azgreg wrote:Seems a bit vain no?
Will Sonnet says, "It ain't bragging if it's true." :x
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:It’s no consolation that Trier will somehow be inspired by this. He simply got screwed. No silver lining.
Fully agree. I know some fans are licking their chops like "this will fuel him" but the dude fuels himself, has all season. All this means is that Trier isn't getting what he earned, and neither is Arizona.

They can act like he doesn't exist but Trier was one of the most efficient high usage players in the country.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

National awards have become a popularity contest. If we forget the stats, is it that big of a surprise he was left off? I say no. I think it hurts him that he is on a team with Ayton. Ayton grabs all the headlines and is who the media focuses on. That hurts come awards time IMO. Also, we are on the west coast so headlines are all that matter because no one watches the games.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Trier is also being punished because this team has disappointed. Pre-season #2 with first place votes to a 3 or 4 seed in March.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Some big Trier news:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/world/ ... 731677.php" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Some big Trier news:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/world/ ... 731677.php" target="_blank
whenever I search "Trier" on Twitter
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

DrWildcat wrote:National awards have become a popularity contest. If we forget the stats, is it that big of a surprise he was left off? I say no. I think it hurts him that he is on a team with Ayton. Ayton grabs all the headlines and is who the media focuses on. That hurts come awards time IMO. Also, we are on the west coast so headlines are all that matter because no one watches the games.
Rebuttal to "hurts him that he's on the team with Ayton"... Grayson Allen is getting national awards over Trier. Now I suppose Allen is a household name but he's also got a checkered past (for habitual ON COURT bad acts) and he plays next to a NPOY candidate.

Trier was on all the pre-finalist lists... and then dropped entirely from all of them. Have to assume it's for the PED mini-scandal and wonder if voting took place while he was still being held out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:National awards have become a popularity contest. If we forget the stats, is it that big of a surprise he was left off? I say no. I think it hurts him that he is on a team with Ayton. Ayton grabs all the headlines and is who the media focuses on. That hurts come awards time IMO. Also, we are on the west coast so headlines are all that matter because no one watches the games.
Rebuttal to "hurts him that he's on the team with Ayton"... Grayson Allen is getting national awards over Trier. Now I suppose Allen is a household name but he's also got a checkered past (for habitual ON COURT bad acts) and he plays next to a NPOY candidate.

Trier was on all the pre-finalist lists... and then dropped entirely from all of them. Have to assume it's for the PED mini-scandal and wonder if voting took place while he was still being held out.
Yeah, but Allen plays for Duke, so that tripping stuff gets brushed under the rug.

Edit: ESPN's interview of Allen post UNC/Duke was vomit inducing. It was about him capping a career with ups and downs. They sort of skated on how the downs were all self inflicted incidents where he leg whipped other players.

I get that I'm just salty at ESPN for their treatment of us, but I was pissed watching them rail us and then excuse Grayson's BS.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TatetheGreat wrote:Trier is also being punished because this team has disappointed. Pre-season #2 with first place votes to a 3 or 4 seed in March.
Lightly under-performed. Not without reason (Rawle was out for three of our seven losses and Trier was out for a fourth).

Duke again is a fair counter argument. They may be a top ten team currently, but they're only one loss better than Arizona in record and they lost their conference by four games.

Maybe it's as simple as "Duke popular, Arizona not."
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Lightly under-performed. Not without reason (Rawle was out for three of our seven losses and Trier was out for a fourth).
Ehhh. I mean, the Bahamas happened, we stumbled at home to a bad UCLA team, and lost 3 of 9 on the road in a pretty pedestrian conference.

I agree that we got better virtually every month, which is a testament to Miller, given the distractions. But we were seen as a preseason 1 or 2. Randolph was the best player in Europe, blah, blah. Randolph and Akot would easily fill in for Rawle, and so on. And we fell out of the poll.

I would say this team has massively underperformed from pre-season expectations and has maddeningly underperformed all season in never putting a full game together, and showing flashes of D without committing to 40, or even 30 minutes of D.

Trier has not been one of the issues, though. At all. I know we all love Deandre, and he has been dominant, but he has not done a consistent job of showing for the ball. Defending, I will give him as a kid with 5 years moving up a level, and he has improved. But first half Oregon should be him all the time. He should want to tear the rim down on every possession, but he still gets too many of his points on put backs and broken plays. A lot of people blame the rest of the team for "not getting (Deandre) the ball", but he doesn't show on the block strong near enough. Even against a zone, he can pin someone. And he has been great...not good, great. But he could be better.

And the bench has been woeful at times.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Trier is right - he ought to be the favorite to win that award for best SG in the NCAA.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

YoDeFoe wrote:Trier is right - he ought to be the favorite to win that award for best SG in the NCAA.
Do you or anyone have The finalist's #s compared to Trier's?

Just trying to see if there is ANY metric that could justify his not being on that list.
prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
When you put it like that, it's so obvious Grayson Allen shouldn't be on that list.
SO FUCKING OBVIOUS
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Yeah I'm not gonna get over this.

My hope is that Trier balls out and makes this as glaringly obvious as possible. Like, it should be a meme.

"That guy isn't getting his due!"

"Oh like Allonzo Trier back in 2018?"

"LOL just like that!"
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote: So basically the old school people who don't know/care about advanced metrics...
If people aren't aware of "shooting percentage" then I don't know what to do.

Trier is having a historically efficient shooting season and no one seems to know about it.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

So looking over the numbers... let's do a little process of elimination.

Toss Grayson Allen for being no where close on scoring.

Toss Kendrick Nunn for beating his girlfriend... oh and playing in a dogshit conference and being a chucker.

...and we're down to Edwards, Foster and Robinson (and Trier).

All within a point or two of scoring average... All with about three or four assists and three or four rebounds a game. Ok so what sets them apart? Efficiency, for sure.

Foster and Robinson are using four additional shots a game to get one or two more points than Trier. Edwards is using two more shots a game to get LESS points than Trier.

I mean... 67% true shooting is honestly absurd from a guard. It shouldn't be possible, it's certainly not fair to the competition. But thems the facts.

Trier is scoring 19 points a game on only 11 FGAs and that should make everyone stop and say "WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK."
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

YoDeFoe wrote:
prh wrote: So basically the old school people who don't know/care about advanced metrics...

Trier is having a historically efficient shooting season and no one seems to know about it.
Is that True Shooting percentage?

I mean, I agree with you, he should be the front runner, and being left off the finalist list is atrocious. Maybe more so than when Kadeem Carey was left off the Doak Walker finalist list when he led the country in rushing.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Is that True Shooting percentage?

I mean, I agree with you, he should be the front runner, and being left off the finalist list is atrocious. Maybe more so than when Kadeem Carey was left off the Doak Walker finalist list when he led the country in rushing.
Yeah, True Shooting %... it's definitely an advanced stat but also... he's the only guy shooting better than 50 / 40 / 85 so it doesn't take advanced stat knowledge to see what he's doing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
When you put it like that, it's so obvious Grayson Allen shouldn't be on that list.
SO FUCKING OBVIOUS
I could stomach the others, but Allen just sticks out like a sore thumb. He has a name, plays for Duke, but the play does not put him on that list.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SO FUCKING OBVIOUS
I could stomach the others, but Allen just sticks out like a sore thumb. He has a name, plays for Duke, but the play does not put him on that list.
Plus he's a twatpickle.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azgreg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SO FUCKING OBVIOUS
Plus he's a twatpickle.
Which is actually a useful thing in defense of including Trier. Are voters excluding him bc of some alleged off court action?

Well Grayson Allen has ON COURT issues and Kendrick Nunn has a criminal record for hitting a woman. Are we really going to sideline Trier for a PED case that he already was punished for last year?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

YoDeFoe wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
SO FUCKING OBVIOUS
Plus he's a twatpickle.
Which is actually a useful thing in defense of including Trier. Are voters excluding him bc of some alleged off court action?

Well Grayson Allen has ON COURT issues and Kendrick Nunn has a criminal record for hitting a woman. Are we really going to sideline Trier for a PED case that he already was punished for last year?
There is no explanation for Trier's omissions from the Jerry West finalists or 2nd or 3rd team All American lists, other than it was an intentional snub for a particular reason.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I bought a Synergy subscription just to be sure I'm not missing something in the data.

AMA
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Look at this shit.

Trier on offense...

Trier on defense...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

You dropped 6500 just to confirm how good Trier is?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

How'd you get access? They don't allow access to even a lot of media people the one time I looked into it, and they stopped selling a fan package years ago.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:You dropped 6500 just to confirm how good Trier is?
Yes
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

JK fan access is $20/m.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:You dropped 6500 just to confirm how good Trier is?
I think I know who to start sucking up to when I'm old and destitute.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:JK fan access is $20/m.
Well damn they announced 4-5 years ago they were getting rid of the consumer product. I guess not. Since it's too late into the season, guess I'll subscribe when the Cats are good again. Years ago I tried buying a Synergy subscription, thank God they said no.

Have been using Kenpom subscription

Also

https://hoop-math.com" target="_blank

And

http://barttorvik.com" target="_blank

Obviously not as good
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:JK fan access is $20/m.
Well damn they announced 4-5 years ago they were getting rid of the consumer product. I guess not. Since it's too late into the season, guess I'll subscribe when the Cats are good again. Years ago I tried buying a Synergy subscription, thank God they said no.

Have been using Kenpom subscription

Also

https://hoop-math.com" target="_blank

And

http://barttorvik.com" target="_blank

Obviously not as good
Once I found Hoop-Math I freaked the fuck out - great source of stats, and largely free. But scratching that itch only led me to wanting the full package (Synergy). I didn't know about barttorvik until this season and I'm super impressed. Them/kenpom + hoop-math + sportsreference SHOULD be good enough for the anyone who isn't a full blown stat freak.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

what a douche
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Nightmare game for Trier, and Arizona still survived.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Merkin wrote:
I'd say he's improved, if you lift the leg, the refs catch that and you get the trip right away, might have gotten away with the butt hutt if they hadn't looked at the replay.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Glad coach k is teaching him some valuable lessons.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Somewhere at the next level that guy is going to get his ass kicked something fierce.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We certainly didn't need any more video to prove what area Grayson is clearly better than Trier at.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What was up with Trier? Seriously? 2-13? I mean...
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Allen is a finalist for the Jerry West award, though. I think in the fine print it says a Duke player must be considered.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote:What was up with Trier? Seriously? 2-13? I mean...
Too many 3's tonight
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

84Cat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:What was up with Trier? Seriously? 2-13? I mean...
Too many 3's tonight
2 of 10 from there if i'm remembering correctly.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Dude seriously presses in the form of ballhogging at the worst possible times.

Rawle wasn't much better tonight under pressure, but seriously: Neither of our starting wings have exactly stepped up and shown leadership in the clutch this season.

And that's dangerous, especially if their petty little infighting gets personal and they stop feeding Ayton.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Trier will revert to the mean tomorrow night. I expect a great game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

catgrad97 wrote:Dude seriously presses in the form of ballhogging at the worst possible times.

Rawle wasn't much better tonight under pressure, but seriously: Neither of our starting wings have exactly stepped up and shown leadership in the clutch this season.

And that's dangerous, especially if their petty little infighting gets personal and they stop feeding Ayton.
Man, Trier has been clutch all year for us. Big shots, gets to the foul line in the clutch, makes his foul shot in the clutch. He may be the best closer in college basketball. And even in an off night, how many free throws does he get his teammates when the fouls he picks up helps push us in the bonus and double bonus that much quicker. Teams have to know where Trier is at all times too, just like an Ayton. Thats a constant stress on a defense.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:Man, Trier has been clutch all year for us. Big shots, gets to the foul line in the clutch, makes his foul shot in the clutch. He may be the best closer in college basketball. And even in an off night, how many free throws does he get his teammates when the fouls he picks up helps push us in the bonus and double bonus that much quicker. Teams have to know where Trier is at all times too, just like an Ayton. Thats a constant stress on a defense.
I don't disagree. But jeez, when he's cold, it's bad. Two straight airballs? It's perplexing how a guy can be so hot and then so cold. I'm guessing it's in his head since he's physically healthy, right?

If you'd told me before the game that Trier would go 2-13, I'd say there's no way we win. Thank God Ayton had a career night.