Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by Newportcat »

Shocking but Alonzo declared

Will be surprised if he makes the league
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

PHXCATS wrote:Rawle and Trier should come back. For the benefit of their futures in and outside of basketball. But if they leave then so be it. Wont ever care about them again and I am sure they wont ever care about me again. And that goes for every guy after they leave UA. If they arent on the Suns I dont care. It is what it is. Dont wish them harm or bad luck, hope they all do well in life and in basketball, but I wont be following them or care to.
Damn, you sound like such a dick. You won't root for TJ? For AG? For Lauri?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Rawle and Trier should come back. For the benefit of their futures in and outside of basketball. But if they leave then so be it. Wont ever care about them again and I am sure they wont ever care about me again. And that goes for every guy after they leave UA. If they arent on the Suns I dont care. It is what it is. Dont wish them harm or bad luck, hope they all do well in life and in basketball, but I wont be following them or care to.
Does sound terrible

I personally love seeing highlights of TJ and guys like Lauri. I loved watching AG in the dunk contest

I will love seeing Deandre progress in the NBA.

I don’t understand this logic at all
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

dcZONAfan wrote:
I hope they do well but I won't be paying attention to them.

Like I said, don't wish any harm or bad luck on them. Hope all of them do well on and off the court. But I won't be paying attention and I won't worry about it at all
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

Like I said, don't wish any harm or bad luck on them. Hope all of them do well on and off the court. But I won't be paying attention and I won't worry about it at all
It's very strange to me that an Arizona fan would not really care about Arizona players in the pros or want to follow them.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

It's very strange to me that an Arizona fan would not really care about Arizona players in the pros or want to follow them.
I just really don't like the NBA so that might have something to do with it.

But I just realise the players don't care about me so I am not gonna go out of my way to care about them. Hope they are successful and happy in life and ball but not gonna watch or follow unless they are on my team (Suns)
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

Going to the NBA is like moving to Mars.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

I detest the NBA. Literally can't watch a game without annoyance, which could be the reason why I don't really care all that much after the draft. I get excited for a player to get in the league, or to get a payday etc, but I don't follow the NBA nor do I care about it in the slightest.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

There is a direct relation between our players in the NBA, their performance, and our future players decision to come to Arizona...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

EVCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

There is a direct relation between our players in the NBA, their performance, and our future players decision to come to Arizona...
Agree, the more people we get to the association the better and the better those people do in the association the better. But how does me, a diehard UA fan and booster, not caring about their NBA careers unless they are on the Suns hurt that?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
EVCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

Agree, the more people we get to the association the better and the better those people do in the association the better. But how does me, a diehard UA fan and booster, not caring about their NBA careers unless they are on the Suns hurt that?
None. It just seems odd that you wouldn't care at all about a factor that impacts our recruiting. If you follow some, why wouldn't you at least check their stats, or maybe at the very least say "I don't watch...but I sure hope they kill it up there so the success impacts our recruiting?"

Not caring at all implies you don't care if they succeed or fail...no animus, but no care. Yet these players doing well directly benefits our program.

Doesn't mean you need to watch, or even follow. But saying you don't care if they succeed or fail seems to be hyperbole if you care about the program. hoping they do well but not caring seem to be comments at odds with each other
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If it helps recruiting, great.

If Trier & Ayton don't get an NBA opportunity, it tells me Arizona overachieved this season. It also tells me the people who do these NBA draft projections are off quite often. And actually, they do more harm by raising expectations on players that shouldn't really be high at all.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

zonagrad wrote: If Trier & Ayton don't get an NBA opportunity
Ayton most definitely will!

Did you mean Alkins?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:
zonagrad wrote: If Trier & Ayton don't get an NBA opportunity
Ayton most definitely will!

Did you mean Alkins?
Ha ha. Yes, that Ayton guy might get a look.

Yes, I meant Alkins. Don't see him in the NBA at all.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Will trier be Europe or China? Rawle?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Will trier be Europe or China? Rawle?
At least they will have college degrees after basketball is over.....................
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Just, please, Gods of basketball...let the Suns get Ayton and be lucky once? Please?

Penance for the Lew Alcindor coin flip, the Robert Horry body slam and stupid "by the book" decisioning of David Stern, Mario Elle, Danny Manning's knee, etc, etc, etc...
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Will trier be Europe or China? Rawle?
At least they will have college degrees after basketball is over.....................

I've read a couple of articles about players leaving college early and playing overseas, but none of them have offered much detail regarding how many years the player played overseas, how much they made and what their work opportunities were when they came back to the states after their career ends. Does anyone have any good articles? Thanks
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Really surprised at the level of hate for the NBA on this board. Its clear people love basketball and to me the NBA is 1 Million times a better game. College game can be really awful to watch at times.

Ayton in the NBA is going to be awesome to watch. Will love seeing him play in an up and down system and grow his abilities.

Doubtful Trier ever makes it there unfortuantely
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have not watched an NBA games in about 5 years. In fact I watch very few professional games anymore. The level of play is outstanding but I guess their is just so much movement withe free agents and roster turnover.

Try to keep up with the cats in the league but do it mostly through the comments on this board
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:I have not watched an NBA games in about 5 years. In fact I watch very few professional games anymore. The level of play is outstanding but I guess their is just so much movement withe free agents and roster turnover.

Try to keep up with the cats in the league but do it mostly through the comments on this board
Same here. Used to be a big Detroit Tigers and Lions fan, even the Red Wings when Gordie Howe played for them.

I can still probably name the starting lineups of the 1968 Tigers that won the World Series. Big star pitcher Denny McClain only won game in the series, fatboy Mickey Lolich won 3! Beat the mighty Bob Gibson and a tough St Louis team. Tigers had a weak hitting shortstop, so the manager Mayo Smith moved center fielder Mickey Stanley to shortstop.

Right fielder Al Kaline finished and ended his career with the Tigers, all 22 years. First basemen Norm Cash played all 15 years with the Tigers.

Do people do that any more in pro sports? Yes, I do realize that was all before free agency and bidding wars.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

For me, it isn't NBA hatred. It is time. I can't follow 82 games a year while watching the Cats play 35.

Life comes too fast. And it doesn't help that the Suns suck. I watch the NBA like I do baseball...catch a game here and there, depend on highlights and box score/standings checks to keep me in touch, then watch the end of the season and playoffs of teams I care about.

I cannot devote the same time I used to devote to sports. I have to pick and choose.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EVCat wrote: I cannot devote the same time I used to devote to sports. I have to pick and choose.
Same here. Actually it's nice to have my Thursday and Saturdays back without having to watch UA sports! It's good to take a break.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Merkin wrote:
EVCat wrote: I cannot devote the same time I used to devote to sports. I have to pick and choose.
Same here. Actually it's nice to have my Thursday and Saturdays back without having to watch UA sports! It's good to take a break.
Summers are very productive...
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I have not watched an NBA games in about 5 years. In fact I watch very few professional games anymore. The level of play is outstanding but I guess their is just so much movement withe free agents and roster turnover.

Same here. Used to be a big Detroit Tigers and Lions fan, even the Red Wings when Gordie Howe played for them.

I can still probably name the starting lineups of the 1968 Tigers that won the World Series. Big star pitcher Denny McClain only won game in the series, fatboy Mickey Lolich won 3! Beat the mighty Bob Gibson and a tough St Louis team. Tigers had a weak hitting shortstop, so the manager Mayo Smith moved center fielder Mickey Stanley to shortstop.

Right fielder Al Kaline finished and ended his career with the Tigers, all 22 years. First basemen Norm Cash played all 15 years with the Tigers.

Do people do that any more in pro sports? Yes, I do realize that was all before free agency and bidding wars.
I won $20 from one of my high school teachers for that series. McClain won 30 games in the regular season. Lolich got pitched to death - his arm turned to rubber after the next season.

Man, I wanted the Tiges to win that series so badly for "Number Six" that it hurt. I'm pretty sure that his house in Southfield was was on land that my dad sold to a developer. Dad bought "Fruit Ridge Farm" in the late 40's or early 50's, kept 3 acres, and sold off the rest. I was told that was where Kaline and several other Tigers lived.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichardCranium wrote: I won $20 from one of my high school teachers for that series. McClain won 30 games in the regular season. Lolich got pitched to death - his arm turned to rubber after the next season.
One of the best trades the Tigers ever made was trading Lolich for Rusty Staub. By then the DH started, and Kaline finished out his career at it making it to 3K hits he might not have made otherwise.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:

Big D, I am a St Louis cardinal fan and I can name the starting line up for the birds as well LOL. I cried when we blew that 3 games to 1 lead. Great series though.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Big D, I am a St Louis cardinal fan and I can name the starting line up for the birds as well LOL. I cried when we blew that 3 games to 1 lead. Great series though.
Wow J! Cards must have been the favorite with 2 of the best and most popular players at the time, Bob Gibson and Lou Brock.

Looking at the stats, Lolich had more hits than Bill Freehan, the catcher: https://www.baseball-reference.com/post ... 8_WS.shtml" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:If it helps recruiting, great.

If Trier & Ayton don't get an NBA opportunity, it tells me Arizona overachieved this season. It also tells me the people who do these NBA draft projections are off quite often. And actually, they do more harm by raising expectations on players that shouldn't really be high at all.
Recruiting is the selfish motive to care even if you don't really care about how it shakes out for a player. Having Arizona players making it big on the next level is a huge recruiting selling point. Being the school that produces lottery picks yearly is something we hold over other west coast programs. We've had a lottery pick in 4 of the last 5 drafts. UCLA, Oregon, Gonzaga, etc can't sell the chance to be the guy who continues that run.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Recruiting is the selfish motive to care even if you don't really care about how it shakes out for a player. Having Arizona players making it big on the next level is a huge recruiting selling point. Being the school that produces lottery picks yearly is something we hold over other west coast programs. We've had a lottery pick in 4 of the last 5 drafts. UCLA, Oregon, Gonzaga, etc can't sell the chance to be the guy who continues that run.
I get it in a way, but honestly, were any of our recent one and done lottery picks not going to be lottery picks if they didn't come to Arizona? Sure Miller might of made them better but I see it as Arizona is where better players go instead of they come here to become lottery picks. Unless I'm forgetting someone, DWill is the only lottery pick in the Miller era that played more than one year of college.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I get it in a way, but honestly, were any of our recent one and done lottery picks not going to be lottery picks if they didn't come to Arizona? Sure Miller might of made them better but I see it as Arizona is where better players go instead of they come here to become lottery picks. Unless I'm forgetting someone, DWill is the only lottery pick in the Miller era that played more than one year of college.
As if there is a plethora of lottery picks that stay more than one year of college elsewhere?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

As if there is a plethora of lottery picks that stay more than one year of college elsewhere?
Thats my point... A lot of lottery picks tend to be projected as lottery picks before the go to a school.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

THIS IS NOT SAYING MILLER IS A BAD COACH OR BAD DEVELOPER OF TALENT.

But I think this is another way to look at what you are saying DR. The only players that Miller recruited at UA who were drafted higher than their class ranking was Hill, Williams and Lauri. Again that is a completely imperfect way to look at it especially with how the game is, needs of NBA teams, imperfection in recruiting rankings, international players etc and that doesnt mean in any way Miller isnt a good coach. It is just something I have noticed that goes along with what you are saying and I believe it is something that could be used against UA in recruiting.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I could make the argument that Miller has several dudes that have been in the NBA that nobody, including posters here, thought was possible.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Olsondogg wrote:I could make the argument that Miller has several dudes that have been in the NBA that nobody, including posters here, thought was possible.
Absolutely true
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Who besides TJ?

Not arguing, just wondering.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote:Who besides TJ?

Kadeem Allen and Solomon Hill.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Wasnt Solomon hill supposed to be a one or two year college player?

I'll be first to admit that I didn't think he would make it in NBA.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Olsondogg wrote:I could make the argument that Miller has several dudes that have been in the NBA that nobody, including posters here, thought was possible.
This seems more valuable in recruiting to me.

My original comment was just related to Spiff saying we could claim we've had lottery picks recently. Basically, I was saying 3 of our 4 recent lottery picks probably would have still been lottery picks if they went elsewhere. Maybe I'm just thinking too much about what would sell me on a program.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think it's more important to get guys like Kadeem or TJ into the league, or to a lesser extent guys like Fogg into a long career, than getting Ayton-types into lottery.

But turning DWill into a lottery pick is a nice feather in the hat.

Make guys better.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You could also make the argument nobody believed Kobi would be on a roster last year at this time.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Olsondogg wrote:

You could also make the argument nobody believed Kobi would be on a roster last year at this time.

But that is in spite of Miller, not because of him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Maybe. There are a lot of guys who play themselves out of the lottery (Cliff Alexander, Harry Giles, etc.) in a year. Having kids hit their potential is underrated.
elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

Postmaster wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

It was kind of bs that Miller benched Kobi going into the final stretch of the season. The kid was very good and productive, having a bench can make a huge difference in the post season.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

elriop20 wrote:
Postmaster wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

It was kind of bs that Miller benched Kobi going into the final stretch of the season. The kid was very good and productive, having a bench can make a huge difference in the post season.
He didn't bench him. His minutes were reduced because of Trier's return. Simmons isn't a productive player. His shooting percentage is low. Miller had to space minutes between Trier, Alkins, Allen, Simmons and PJC. None of them were effective point guards. It's amazing we went 16-2 & won the conference tourney.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

elriop20 wrote:
Postmaster wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

In spite lol. Sure.

Comments like these two are idiotic. Find me the post where you lobbied for Kobi to start over Trier when he came back...hint--there isn't one.

Kobi had issues with the team concept while at Arizona.

Glad he made the NBA, and attribute that to the spite of Miller if you need to.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Olsondogg wrote:

well he did help his team lose by 61 points the other day, so it's not really a NBA roster lol.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Merkin wrote:
azcat49 wrote: Big D, I am a St Louis cardinal fan and I can name the starting line up for the birds as well LOL. I cried when we blew that 3 games to 1 lead. Great series though.
Wow J! Cards must have been the favorite with 2 of the best and most popular players at the time, Bob Gibson and Lou Brock.

Looking at the stats, Lolich had more hits than Bill Freehan, the catcher: https://www.baseball-reference.com/post ... 8_WS.shtml" target="_blank
OMG, I think they were prohibitive favorites. Gibson had a microscopic 1.12 ERA that year. He was unhittable with the mound at the level it was back then. They had McCarver, Cepeda, Javier Shannon and maxville on the infield and Brock Flood and Maris in the outfield. Maris was the oldest of the starters in his early 30's and they were the defending champs.

They had a rotation of Gibson, Briles, Washnburn and Steve Carlton and none of them had an ERA over 2.99. Not sure hwo they lost but they did Still pains me to this day
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Postmaster wrote:Wasnt Solomon hill supposed to be a one or two year college player?

I'll be first to admit that I didn't think he would make it in NBA.
No, he wasn't
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:

You remember Jason "Rooftop" Thompson? He was my dad's best friend growing up. Another one of my father's friends, Dan Gonzales, had a cup of coffee with the Tigers as well. You likely won't recall him, but he came up through the minors with many of the studs from that 84 title team (Morris, Parrish, Brookens, Gibson, etc.)