lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: lets talk '16

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Puerco wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
HiCat wrote:Re post from a few weeks ago.

Predictions: 50%
http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Jackson-21374
I give much more weight to 97Cats' input. I think 247 predictions had Fultz coming to UA, and had Rabb coming here for most of his recruitment.
No, pretty sure we weren't jn the kead on the Fultz crystal ball. Was Louisville or Maryland - can't remember which. We were in 2nd, I think, and only one dude predicted Udub.
In July the 247 'experts' were split 50/50 between AZ and Louisville. In August, Kentucky surged to the lead in the predictions poll, with us hanging in 2nd... UW was not even really in play.

http://247sports.com/Player/Markelle-Fultz-75821
It's amazing how UK making an offer causes so much turmoil in the recruiting prediction world. Fultz never even visited UK, but based on an offer they immediately jump to the favorite? That's power.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

deleted
Last edited by HiCat on Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Texas prospect visiting UA this weekend

September 03, 2015 3:57 pm • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

The Arizona Wildcats' late recruiting push for Andrew Jones has resulted in a second visit from the fast-rising Texas guard.

Jones told the Star today via text message that he is in town for his official visit and planned to attend tonight's UA-UTSA football game. There were earlier reports that he scheduled a visit by 24/7 Sports (in a subscription story quoted by SB Nation) and Scout's Evan Daniels.

Jones appeared late as a high-profile recruiting prospect after big performances at Peach Jam in July, and Arizona was among the schools that quickly reacted. UA tracked him throughout July, secured an unofficial visit last month and now has him on campus for an official.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 2b119.html

Jones has been considered one of the breakout performers of the summer in the high-school ranks, as he has risen from the low 100's, in terms of ranking, all the way to top 50 in just two short months. ESPN has Jones ranked as the 35th best overall prospect and the ninth best shooting guard in the 2016 class.

Jones is a 6-foot-4 guard from Irving, Texas who is athletic and said to be good at everything. His strengths lie in scoring in transition and defending among other things while he will need to work to improve his ball-handling and his jump shot.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/125980/201 ... vorite.htm
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Texas prospect visiting UA this weekend

September 03, 2015 3:57 pm • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

The Arizona Wildcats' late recruiting push for Andrew Jones has resulted in a second visit from the fast-rising Texas guard.

Jones told the Star today via text message that he is in town for his official visit and planned to attend tonight's UA-UTSA football game. There were earlier reports that he scheduled a visit by 24/7 Sports (in a subscription story quoted by SB Nation) and Scout's Evan Daniels.

Jones appeared late as a high-profile recruiting prospect after big performances at Peach Jam in July, and Arizona was among the schools that quickly reacted. UA tracked him throughout July, secured an unofficial visit last month and now has him on campus for an official.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 2b119.html

Jones has been considered one of the breakout performers of the summer in the high-school ranks, as he has risen from the low 100's, in terms of ranking, all the way to top 50 in just two short months. ESPN has Jones ranked as the 35th best overall prospect and the ninth best shooting guard in the 2016 class.

Jones is a 6-foot-4 guard from Irving, Texas who is athletic and said to be good at everything. His strengths lie in scoring in transition and defending among other things while he will need to work to improve his ball-handling and his jump shot.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/125980/201 ... vorite.htm
Sounds a little like Russell Westbrook. RW was not on a lot of radars (really just UConn's and later, UCLA's) but exploded towards the end of his HS career, and by that point, it was too late for other schools to catch up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jones back in Texas already, obviously no commitment. This program needs some good mojo on the trail already.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Had multiple people switch their picks to Arizona yesterday on 247sports. Now they have him as 75% to Arizona. Clearly it was a good visit.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:Had multiple people switch their picks to Arizona yesterday on 247sports. Now they have him as 75% to Arizona. Clearly it was a good visit.

I guess we'll see what happens when he visits Texas next weekend.
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Jones back in Texas already, obviously no commitment. This program needs some good mojo on the trail already.
Yeah, no doubt. We have had nothing go our way for 2016.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Ain't over till the fat lady sings. ;)
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'm fucking pissed he got away without a commit.

Lots of folks in the know thought he could end it.

Not sure what to make of him not.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"thought he could end it."

So you're saying there's still a chance eh JMJ? 8-)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:I'm fucking pissed he got away without a commit.

I have no idea wtf is going on with this coaching staff, but they've lost all ability to close as of late.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I have no idea wtf is going on with this coaching staff, but they've lost all ability to close as of late.
Just relax, this coaching staff has been proven to be one of the best recruiting staffs in the country. Its early september. I am concerned we don't have any recruits too but I will say this coaching staff has lost the ability to close when no recruit signs with us which I highly doubt is going to happen
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Perhaps, all the turnover on the coaching staff has hurt recruiting. Damon being jettisoned for some no name from the Midwest certainly didn't help.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oh, I just don't know, but something's going on ... What have you heard, Millie?

Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

az91 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Perhaps, all the turnover on the coaching staff has hurt recruiting. Damon being jettisoned for some no name from the Midwest certainly didn't help.
Damon was jettisoned? Also one assistant leaving does not equate to "all the turnover." I will say I didn't agree with the Phelps hire, at least not over possible west coast recruiters and especially since Phelps would fit as a Pasternack replacement more so than a Damon one. I also wouldn't consider Damon being the difference between Arizona closing on recruits and not closing on recruits, since we were more than able to do so prior to his hiring.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Just relax, this coaching staff has been proven to be one of the best recruiting staffs in the country. Its early september. I am concerned we don't have any recruits too but I will say this coaching staff has lost the ability to close when no recruit signs with us which I highly doubt is going to happen
Oh I have no doubt Arizona will land a recruit Newport, but come on there's a major difference between landing a Mitch Lightfoot and landing players that will actually be in line for major playing time.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I want to know about "jettisoned", too.

The difficulty in landing a great class in any particular year can be tied to work done in previous years. I realize Kentucky has found a way, but they are an exception.

If Miller hadn't done such a great job landing PJC, Allen, Simon, Smith, Trier and Pitts, it would be easier to land guards this year. Conversely, if we could land great guards this year, it might be because we didn't in previous years (and there would've been complaints about that).

Same with front lines. Land Tarc, Jerrett and Ashley, and your frontline recruitment will tail off. Front line is the biggest immediate need, which is why Leaf is a bummer. But Miller did bring in Ristic, Anderson and Tollefson, so it's not like he's asleep at the switch.

What did Cal's class look like at this point last year? Meh.

Other conference schools are stepping up their recruitment. We say -- well, a lot of us -- that a stronger conference will make us a stronger team. But as these teams land guys, some people start to get weak in the knees. "Hey, Miller is supposed to get them! All of them!"

So the search is on for the "reason" he can't close the deal any more. It's Damon. The Midwest assistant. "Recruiting over" Cali guys. That last one is a doozy. Let's get a top 5 class every year, but don't recruit over anyone. How? Well, Miller is a witch, right?

He'd have to be, or Houdini.

So if Jones announced while he was here, what would that mean? Leaf announced way before that. I'd rather he take his time, so that he doesn't renege.

It's just different now, and there are more ways to patch teams if you don't have an epic recruiting year every year. Lyons, TJ, Anderson, Allen, Tollefson ... none of them were on the radar when they were in high school. Yet, they have been and will be significant Wildcats.

So, relax. Pop in some Eagles. And take it easy.

If the team stops performing on the court, then you can panic. I'll join in.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again ...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch ... edule.html
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The issue with Jones not committing I really think has more to do with Arizona not being able to pull worthwhile players out of Texas since the Pastner days, getting cornered out of the market of talented SoCal players (the best play for Compton Magic as of right now), and the fact that many insiders believed that Jones could have conceivably popped for Arizona during the visit. The latter reason being the "ugh we can't close anymore" point of view. Jones is definitely a talent and primarily a play for the future, but as long as Arizona lands Lauri and Jackson it has a title contender next year and any concern goes right out the window. Jones would provide immediate relief and a cushion at a future position of need after next season though.

In regards to patchwork transfers, I'm not a fan. They're a necessity evil due to NBA early withdrawals and I'm ok with that, but I am not ok with having to depend on them because we failed at recruiting high school players. Top tier Final Four programs get their NBA talent out of high school and not from college graduate programs.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again ...

Miller just needs to take it to the limit when recruiting. Otherwise, he's already gone.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
gumby wrote:We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again ...

Miller just needs to take it to the limit when recruiting. Otherwise, he's already gone.
Once JJ commits, it's back to life in the fast lane.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The overreactions of the fan base, based on nothing in particular except what someone "told" them, is truly one of the most entertaining things to witness.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:The issue with Jones not committing I really think has more to do with Arizona not being able to pull worthwhile players out of Texas since the Pastner days

Some say even during those days.

Ndudi Ebi bailed to the NBA
Jawann McClellan was hurt and never recovered
Fendi Onobun never developed
Nic Wise never grew after he was offered as a freshman
Garland Judkins was kicked off the team
az91

Post by az91 »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The issue with Jones not committing I really think has more to do with Arizona not being able to pull worthwhile players out of Texas since the Pastner days

That is one depressing list of what might have been.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:

All Houston players. Ebi was self-inflicted, Jawann was a crime what happened to his knees, Fendi was a mistake, Nic was still a good player for us, I don't count Garland Judkins.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

All Houston players. Ebi was self-inflicted, Jawann was a crime what happened to his knees, Fendi was a mistake, Nic was still a good player for us, I don't count Garland Judkins.
Your post reinforces the fact that we never really DID get great players out of Texas into the program, with an asterisk next to Jawann's name.

Over the years, we''ve had collectively better groups from IL, PN, NY, OR, & WA.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

If we want to jump start recruiting, then Miller needs to play a more up-tempo, fast break style of offense.

Life in the Fast Lane...

As for our lack of a commitment for '16 so far?

Get Over It.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:If we want to jump start recruiting, then Miller needs to play a more up-tempo, fast break style of offense.

Life in the Fast Lane...

Get Over It.
Miller plays faster than any major basketball program not named North Carolina. College basketball is just a blah product right now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Your post reinforces the fact that we never really DID get great players out of Texas into the program, with an asterisk next to Jawann's name.

Over the years, we''ve had collectively better groups from IL, PN, NY, OR, & WA.
Miller has landed 5 players from 2 of those states and nowhere else. Thats counting Sidiki Johnson of course. Texas is the closest place not named California that year on year out breeds great basketball talent. Pastner's players are his fault and nobody else's. You recruit where you can land the best talent and the closer the better.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:

I was gonna say. Sometimes it seems winning recruiting is a thing in itself. How they perform is an afterthought. So, yay, Texas recruits, and meh on T.J. McConnell.
Last edited by gumby on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:If we want to jump start recruiting, then Miller needs to play a more up-tempo, fast break style of offense.

Life in the Fast Lane...

Get Over It.
Miller plays faster than any major basketball program not named North Carolina. College basketball is just a blah product right now.
Pretty sure that was a joke. Harvey isn't a new kid in town.
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Oh I have no doubt Arizona will land a recruit Newport, but come on there's a major difference between landing a Mitch Lightfoot and landing players that will actually be in line for major playing time.
Lightfoot seems like the most sure thing. With Jones, it will be difficult to get him out of Texas. JJ has so many options, who knows where he might land. The coach of the Finnish kid is our old nemesis Mottola, and he went to Utah, so don't be surprised if his protege goes there too.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

When is Hardon going to join this thread?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

az91 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Lightfoot seems like the most sure thing. With Jones, it will be difficult to get him out of Texas. JJ has so many options, who knows where he might land. The coach of the Finnish kid is our old nemesis Mottola, and he went to Utah, so don't be surprised if his protege goes there too.
Call me an optimist, but I think we land Lauri. Rick Majerus isn't coaching Utah anymore.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Miller has landed 5 players from 2 of those states and nowhere else. Thats counting Sidiki Johnson of course. Texas is the closest place not named California that year on year out breeds great basketball talent. Pastner's players are his fault and nobody else's. You recruit where you can land the best talent and the closer the better.
Arizona Basketball predates Sean Miller.., and we have never recruited a bunch of elite college players from Texas (despite your erroneous suggestion that Pastner did).

Not sure why all of the sudden anyone expects that TX should be a major source of recruiting talent for our BB program. We have gotten more major contributors in the past from several other states.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Life in the Fast Lane...

Get Over It.
Pretty sure that was a joke. Harvey isn't a new kid in town.
Yes - sarcasm.

I guess I was just trying to take it to the limit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Arizona Basketball predates Sean Miller.., and we have never recruited a bunch of elite college players from Texas (despite your erroneous suggestion that Pastner did).

Not sure why all of the sudden anyone expects that TX should be a major source of recruiting talent for our BB program. We have gotten more major contributors in the past from several other states.
Yes, We should only recruit places Lute did, because every one has connections where he did. I never said we landed elite college players from TX (athough Ebi, Stephen Jackson, and Mac all would've been if not for circumstances out of our control). Either way I already pointed out that post-Olson we have only landed players out of two of the states you listed and one is cause of an assistant (Book) and the other is Miller. Romar currently has a dome around the state of Washington and the next elite level Oregon kid will be the first since Kevin Love. You're right we should absolutely ignore the riches Texas has to offer and completely ignore the new flux of talent there in this generation. I'm completely on board with living in the past. Go Lute Olson, may we forever live in your era.

Look Arizona doesn't need to make its bread and butter in Texas, as that's solely reserved for California, but Texas has much more basketball talent in this generation than they had during the Lute generation. It would behoove us to get connections in a state that year in year out produces high end players much more so than it would to push in NY, PA, OR, WA, and especially IL. Especially considering in 3 of those states we'd need someone close to a player majorly in our corner to be able to land a player from there (PA, NY, IL). I will say I wouldn't mind pushing harder on WA, based on the good amount of recent talent coming out of the state, but so far Romar has beat us to the punch for every single one of them before we really have a chance to push for them. All I can say is kudos to Romar for being diligent in getting his program back to where he had it previously. In regards to Oregon, Damon Stoudamire was a long time ago, so I'm not sure why you're pushing that state in regards to talent.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Article mentioning AZ's recruitment of Jones and Fox.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sp ... /71948922/
gumby

Post by gumby »

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Andrew Jones is now an 88% chance on 247sports

Worth noting that we are huge favorites for him in many eyes. Close it out, Miller!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:Andrew Jones is now an 88% chance on 247sports

Worth noting that we are huge favorites for him in many eyes. Close it out, Miller!

Nice. :D

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://zagsblog.com/articles/vegas-semi ... h-jackson/

Some notes on JJ. Anyone else feel like we're not where we want to be?
az91

Post by az91 »

Beachcat97 wrote:http://zagsblog.com/articles/vegas-semi ... h-jackson/

It would be great to get him, but I think he is a longshot at this point. Maybe 10 to 20 percent chance.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You got that from some classic zagsblog quote regurgitation and speculation? Surprised there wasn't any package deal talk. :roll:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Nope. Not happening.

There is no way in hell that a potential #1 NBA draft pick will be advised to play a year in a start-up Vegas league. He will get better coaching, training, preparation and competition at Arizona.

That said, if he doesn't come here...go to vegas!!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

No one has been fooled by this minor league guy yet and I see no reason why Josh Jackson would be the first. I mean do you really expect him to play in the Ace Thakore Basketball league? He's more likely to go to India to play basketball than he ever would be to play in this "minor league" this dude is trying to set up.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Didn't his mom say he was going to college?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

“I’ve pretty much put my foot in my mouth because we got started late and a majority of those guys had already gotten commitments and signed,” he said.

“They go back to the college coach and [the coach] is going to bash it. Once we’re up and running and the league is what it is, what else can you say about it?”
So you're worried that the top player in 2016 is going to go play for a league run by a guy who says THAT?! Once they're up and running and the league is what it is, any elite player will be able to go overseas to get a bigger paycheck, better training, and a better level of basketball. Come on, seriously? Josh Jackson would sign with a SEMI-pro team?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy