UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Post by Longhorned »

6 expected losses for Arizona? 7 expected losses for Kentucky?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Merkin wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote: Ah yes, that point in an Arizona Wildcat fan's Football season where he decides that "no, this won't be the year we've all been waiting for" and turns towards Basketball :lol:
Been that way for me since Larry Smith left the football program and Lute took over the basketball program so going on 30 years and I don't see it changing in the near future. RR just can't get the recruits to get over the hump.
See ucla football game.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Arizona fans do not equal uCla fans and vice versa.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Re: Columbo on Miller changing the starting lineup

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... ?id=201408

The assumption since, oh, April has been that Sean Miller should have an easy time picking a starting lineup this season with Kaleb Tarczewski, Brandon Ashley, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Stanley Johnson and T.J. McConnell.

But he’s been indicating the past month that it isn’t that simple. For one thing, Miller likes the experience and shooting ability that Gabe York brings. For another, he hasn’t been happy with anyone, really, over the Wildcats’ past two weeks of practices (which is why he expressed concern publicly on Thursday).

So maybe it’s not so simple.

“We could start as many as three different lineups at this point,” Miller said. “There’s not a group of five that clearly stands out. We could play that a number of different ways.”

When I asked Miller if he basically has six starters in mind, plugging in York or Stanley Johnson at shooting guard, he said: “I don’t know if its those two, but through that group of six we could start three different ways.”

Another possibility is that Arizona could even take Brandon Ashley off the bench at first, since Miller has been saying he’s still in the process of recovering from a foot injury last season.

“Brandon is working his way back but I look at him as being a positive; I think he’s really on track,” Miller said. “He’s healthy; it’s great to have him out there. He’s one of our team’s more vocal players and it just seems like every day he gets a little more sure of himself.”

Miller wasn’t the only one talking about the difficulties in meshing the Wildcats together so far Thursday.

Here was York, one of the team’s most candid players, talking about team chemistry:

“When you talk about team basketball and how successful we were last year, we had Nick (Johnson) and Aaron (Gordon) -- they didn’t care if they scored 25 points. They cared about the overall finished product: how far can we get? How far can we improve to get as far as we can get?

“We fell short in the Elite Eight but Nick was never one who hunted shots, who cared if he got 15 shots or if he only shot six times. Aaron, he cared about working. He wanted to be the hardest worker, to make sure he got get 10-plus rebounds or whatever.

“When you have players like that who are so unselfish it made it easier for everyone else to be unselfish. This year, we just have a lot of basketball players who have their own goals in mind. The biggest thing coach has talked to us about is the individual goals will follow if your team’s successful. That’s the biggest thing: Let’s work on team first … we have to trust each other. That’s the biggest thing right now we have to trust each other as a group to get to where we want to get to.”
Not to be a contrarian, but OTOH...

When the last shot needed to be taken, it was Nick's to take. It never worked, yet nobody else got involved. A little too iso for me to feel comfortable with.

I have the feeling that if players respond, we'll feel better about Stanley or Rondae being that man this year.

We had chemistry to spare last season. What we didn't have is offensive flow or a reliable set CSM could draw up when the Cats needed it most.

And, thus, the trouble with not having shooters on your team. If only the light would turn on for Zeus...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I seem to recall some pretty huge shots and FT's in the tourney against SDSU by NJ.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Olsondogg wrote:I seem to recall some pretty huge shots and FT's in the tourney against SDSU by NJ.
Yeah like 15 points in 2 minutes.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UNC fans want Miller.

thats all I keep hearing from people when we talk College BB.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:I seem to recall some pretty huge shots and FT's in the tourney against SDSU by NJ.
I'm talking about last possession. Down the stretch, Nick was the man.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

catgrad97 wrote:

Um.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... ap-results
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

Um.

From that article:
Arizona missed a couple of opportunities to clinch the game with free throws, with both freshman forward Aaron Gordon and Johnson missing the front ends of one-and-ones in the final seconds.
Again, I'm talking about end-of-half possessions here, which even CSM and Nick have struggled with. This is a critical analysis, not a bash on anyone.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No one's mentioned Nick's offensive foul then forgetting the shot clock in the Wiscy game?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:UNC fans want Miller.

thats all I keep hearing from people when we talk College BB.
They can get in line . . . and then they can't have him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

catgrad97 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

Um.

From that article:
Arizona missed a couple of opportunities to clinch the game with free throws, with both freshman forward Aaron Gordon and Johnson missing the front ends of one-and-ones in the final seconds.
Again, I'm talking about end-of-half possessions here, which even CSM and Nick have struggled with. This is a critical analysis, not a bash on anyone.
Nick hit the game winning shot in that game... a three. Miller fouled with 7 seconds to not run the risk of Stanford hitting one. Nitpick if you want, fine whatever.

Never seen a fanbase more critical of ridiculous things outside of the state of Kentucky. Hang out with NYCat and y'all can whine...err "critically analyze" about how games are won as the wins pile up.
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

8 out of 22 ESPN "experts" pick us to win it all. 9 pick UK.
20 have us in the Final Four. 3 have Sean as Coach of the Year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Look at Joe Lunardi Final 4!
ESPN.com Player of the year: Marcus Paige, North Carolina
Coach of the year: Bo Ryan, Wisconsin
Final Four: Duke, Arizona, Villanova, Gonzaga

Whats with Miles Simon picks? Come on MAN!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

LOL at Myron trying to make up for his stupidity last year along with Bilas picking 4 likely 1 seeds.

Of course Dukie Vitale has Duke In there, not a bad pick but it's just do predictable

EFIT: And Goodman too, thx CST
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

azcat49 wrote:LOL at Myron trying to make up for his stupidity last year along with Bilas picking 4 likely 1 seeds.
That Myron article from the sweet 16 area of the tournament last year still stands out in my mind as one of the worst sports articles I've ever read.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Jeff Goodman is such a tool
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Jeff Goodman is such a tool
??

Got us going to the Final Four.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chicat wrote:
??

I think he said the because he has Gonzaga winning the NC!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:8 out of 22 ESPN "experts" pick us to win it all. 9 pick UK.
20 have us in the Final Four. 3 have Sean as Coach of the Year.

8-)
I like it! Yeah, it's early, but pretty damn cool.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

3goggles wrote:
Chicat wrote:
??

I think he said the because he has Gonzaga winning the NC!
There's always one guy who strives to be different. So what if Gonzaga has never made a Final Four and only been to the Elite 8 once? This is the year!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

Six weeks after the start of practices the moment we’ve all been waiting for is finally here, with Friday marking the start of the 2014-15 regular season. There have been no shortage of opinions on how this season will shake out, with No. 1 Kentucky seen by many as the favorites to cut down the nets in Indianapolis. However that doesn’t mean every fan or pundit will subscribe to the thinking that John Calipari’s team will coast to the storied program’s ninth national title.

Below are the College Basketball Talk staff’s picks for the Final Four and national champion, with each writer providing reasons for their selections as well.

MORE: 2014-2015 Season Preview Coverage | Conference Previews | Preview Schedule

Rob Dauster (@RobDauster)

Final Four: Arizona, Kentucky, Gonzaga and Oklahoma
National champion: Arizona

I think Arizona and Kentucky are easily the two most talented teams in the country this season, and when it comes to NCAA tournament success, talent is a pretty good indicator of who will advance. No one should argue with picking either of those two teams to reach Indy. As far as Gonzaga is concerned, I think this is the year that they make the jump (finally!). A healthy Kevin Pangos combined with the additions of Kyle Wiltjer, Byron Wesley and Domantas Sabonis will make this group unstoppable offensively.

Oklahoma is the final pick for me, and I’m basing this on the assumption that Tashawn Thomas will eventually get a waiver to be eligible to play this season. Jordan Woodard and Buddy Hield make up the nation’s most underrated back court, Ryan Spangler is a hoss in the paint and Thomas provides the athleticism and versatility that they lacked from a true four last year.

Raphielle Johnson (@raphiellej)

Final Four: Kentucky, Arizona, North Carolina and VCU
National champion: Kentucky

Unlike last season I have a hard time picking against Kentucky, not only because of their talent but also the mix of freshmen and returnees who experienced last year’s run to the national title game and all of the publicity that preceded it (remember the 40-0 talk?). I think the experiences of Willie Cauley-Stein, Alex Poythress, the Harrison twins and the other returning players helps Kentucky as they deal with the hype, and all involved will benefit. As for their biggest threat, I’ll take Arizona because Sean Miller has a group that certainly doesn’t lack for talent or experience. The one question mark for Arizona: consistent perimeter shooting. If Stanley Johnson, Gabe York and T.J. McConnell can provide that help, things open up for Brandon Ashley (who was arguably their best perimeter shooter before hurting his foot) and Kaleb Tarczewski in the front court. They’re going to be really good defensively; if the offense takes a step forward they’ll be in Indianapolis.

As for North Carolina, the Tar Heels have something they didn’t have a season ago: more help for Marcus Paige. The three freshman, especially Justin Jackson, will help him offensively as will an improved J.P. Tokoto. And in the paint both Brice Johnson (who’s gained weight) and Kennedy Meeks (who’s lost weight) enter the season with transformed bodies, which will mean even better seasons for them. Lastly, I really like VCU. They lost Juvonte Reddic but they’re deeper in the front court than they were a season ago, and Treveon Graham and Briante Weber will lead the way on the perimeter. Look for their loss to Stephen F. Austin to serve as fuel for Shaka Smart’s Rams, and do not gloss over the return of Melvin Johnson when assessing their chances. He wasn’t available late last season due to a knee injury, and that’s a big deal given his ability to provide an offensive spark off the bench.

Scott Phillips (@phillipshoops)

Final Four: Arizona, Kentucky, Texas and Wichita State
National champion: Arizona

Arizona is the biggest national championship contender to enter the 2014-15 season, but by a slim margin. Sean Miller’s team isn’t even the most talented group of Wildcats in the country — more on them in a second — but the West Coast version of the Wildcats play a more selfless brand of ball. Without the injury to Brandon Ashley last season, Arizona could have very easily entered this season as the defending champions. Now that they’re healthy, Stanley Johnson is a better lineup fit for Arizona than Aaron Gordon was last season and this Arizona team has more depth than last season. Kentucky is my close runner-up, as John Calipari’s ballclub once again features an absurd amount of talent (and egos) that have to come together for a common goal. If Calipari can get those egos to mesh together, they’ll assuredly win the national championship, but Kentucky has only earned one national championship in five years under Calipari and the Harrison twins need to grow as players — and leaders — in order for Kentucky to win.

As for Texas, the Longhorns only lose Martez Walker from last season — who was, truthfully, a distraction — and gain McDonald’s All-American big man Myles Turner to a team that exceeded expectations in an incredibly difficult Big 12 last season. Point guard Isaiah Taylor is more experienced, Texas has the bodies inside to match up with any team in the country and they have a lot of depth. Lastly, things are way too quiet in Wichita, Kansas this preseason. I watched Wichita State lose to Kentucky in the Round of 32 last season and that was a Final Four-caliber matchup in the first weekend. The Shockers return all three members of its backcourt from the past two seasons of ridiculous success and new starting front court member Darius Carter had some solid games last year as a first-year Division I player. The Shockers could also have more depth this season — depending on the contributions of their newcomers — and as Shabazz Napier proved last March, great guard play wins in the NCAA Tournament and Wichita State has the most tournament-experienced group of guards in the country.

Terrence Payne (@terrence_payne)

Final Four: Kentucky, Arizona, Wisconsin and Villanova
National champions: Kentucky

Kentucky is the preseason favorite, and we’ve seen these Wildcats perform on the court in multiple nationally-televised games already. Platoon system will likely have its ups and downs, but Kentucky’s depth will wear down opponents. Arizona has the most talent in the country outside of UK, and that’s saying something given the departures of Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon. Sean Miller was somewhat critical of his team last week, but this roster is loaded enough to get him to his first Final Four.

Bo Ryan waited 13 years for last season’s Final Four trip, but shouldn’t have to wait that long for his second. He’s got a team of veterans with All American candidates Frank Kaminsky and Sam Dekker on the frontline with seniors Trae Jackson and Josh Gasser in the back court. For my final team, I’ll go with Villanova. A 29-win season was overshadowed by early exits in the Big East and NCAA tournament, but Jay Wright brings back essentially the same team. The Wildcats should breeze through the Big East, and early on last season they proved they were a top-10 after winning the Battle 4 Atlantis.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... our-picks/
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

College Basketball Talk Top 100 Players:

TJ - 48
Ashley - 35
RHJ - 19
Stanimal - Top 17 (not yet released)

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... cbttop100/
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAGreg wrote:College Basketball Talk Top 100 Players:

TJ - 48
Ashley - 35
RHJ - 19

Zeus didn't make top 100?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
UAGreg wrote:College Basketball Talk Top 100 Players:

TJ - 48
Ashley - 35
RHJ - 19

Zeus didn't make top 100?
Doesn't look like it, unless I missed it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TJ better start shooting (and making) the ball if he wants to keep that ranking. A pass only PG makes it harder for the other players to score since they are playing 4 on 5.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Very interested to see how the team shoots and maybe more importantly shoots from the free throw line. Think the team will rebound and defend and pass well. Also hope to see a good rotation of players until at least conference play.

Worried about the offense and free throw shooting but the team showed the ability to overcome those issues last year except for Wisconsin. Hopefully we will see the same or better this season.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It's a measure of our program when we are presumed to have four of the top 100 players, and the question is: What about the 5th?
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:It's a measure of our program when we are presumed to have four of the top 100 players, and the question is: What about the 5th?
Actually, I would say the 5th was outright snubbed. Which is an even better indication of where our program is today.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Listening to cbs sports radio now and they gave quick blurbs and sound byte previews of opening day games in college basketball...

They previewed #1 Kentucky, #3 Wisconsin, #4 Duke and #5 Kansas. That's it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Are we guaranteed to play 3 games in Maui no matter the outcome?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Chicat wrote:Are we guaranteed to play 3 games in Maui no matter the outcome?
http://www.mauiinvitational.com/sports/ ... acket.aspx

Looks like everyone is getting 3 games. Feel bad for the poor team that'll go 0-3.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Chicat wrote:Are we guaranteed to play 3 games in Maui no matter the outcome?
http://www.mauiinvitational.com/sports/ ... acket.aspx

Looks like everyone is getting 3 games. Feel bad for the poor team that'll go 0-3.
It looks like Missouri could go 0-4 if you count their loss to UMKC.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I think Chaminade could beat Mizzou, which is a notorious Jekyll-and-Hyde team away from home.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

That is really strange.

Andy also has SDSU 16th, do any other teams have two wins over his Top 16?
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Olsondogg wrote:

Don't follow you Dog. Went to the link in your post and he has us #3, moving up from #4.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... 015/week/5

Maybe he changed it after you posted?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAtrue wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Don't follow you Dog. Went to the link in your post and he has us #3, moving up from #4.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... 015/week/5

Maybe he changed it after you posted?
That's the overall power poll. You can see Katz's rankings by clicking on "Voters 7-10".
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He thinks I am one of the the most annoying AZ fans:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Because Gabe York, as Goodman subtly pointed out a few weeks ago.

Hard to go after Goodman too hard after he exposed the Ed Rush scandal. He just has a false estimation of how good the rest of college hoops is this year.

Arizona fans have no reason to fear Duke, Kentucky minus Poythress is a different team, and Wisconsin, let's be honest, really isn't anything but a Bo Ryan burr in Miller's side.

This just isn't a year where the team has to play way above itself to win it all. Ball just needs to bounce the right way a few times--and the refs need to lay off whistling fouls every time the offensive player barrels into the lane.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love ODogg trolling Goodman!

Keep annoying him!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Note: I decided to reference this gem from Jeff last week, where he said SJ struggled in "preseason" when he really meant early "practice".
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

If NBA guys are hitting up Goodman to ask "what is wrong?" with Stanley Johnson then I don't know what the fuck to think about this world anymore.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

pokinmik wrote:If NBA guys are hitting up Goodman to ask "what is wrong?" with Stanley Johnson then I don't know what the fuck to think about this world anymore.
ESPN hypes these freshman like never before than if they have one bad 5 minute stretch in the preseason something is wrong with them. It's nothing but click-bait on both ends.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Holy crap, UTEP is a 9pm tipoff on FS1
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Yes and I will be there!