TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Post by ASUHATER! »

Jesus did McConnell screw that guys mom or something?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:Jesus did McConnell screw that guys mom or something?
Stereotypical asshole sports fan from Philly.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Go TJ!

"...but he played a hell of a game."
Last edited by HiCat on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Puerco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Jesus did McConnell screw that guys mom or something?
Stereotypical asshole sports fan from Philly.
Seriously. Stopped going to their sports pages after Eagles' victories. Went looking for appreciation for what Foles was able to accomplish. Instead, the overall sentiment was "Foles played just good enough for us to win, but I don't think he is the long-term answer."

Philly fans are the worst fans in the country, and it's not even close. Very happy for Foles that he got out of there. We shall see what happens with TJM. Regardless of their fans, he is making us proud!

Go Cats!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
elriop20 wrote:This really makes me question SM offensive schemes. Clearly TJM is killing it in the open court without the defense settled. Too bad we didn't run more last year.
We were #7 out of 351 teams in adjusted offense last year.
But besides that, 3 Elite Eights in 5 years and being ranked #1 for a while, what is there to show Miller can coach offense?

He is not a fast paced coach. He isn't Lute. He is a good offensive coach, though, and we are just spoiled by watching high flying fast break ball since the 80's. Even times when we have struggled, there are personnel limitations. 2013-14 after Ashley was hurt, it's hard when both your starting forwards cannot hit jumpers. 2012-13, it's hard when you have no true PG and all freshmen inside.

It's great to see TJ succeeding. The Sixers are talent strapped, so he can make that position his if he plays well. He always has repped Arizona well, and should always continue to...until he returns as a coach when his playing days are over?
I would only add that all of college basketball (on average) has slowed down. Scoring is down. Comparison should be to contemporary teams, not past Arizona teams.
Right where I want to be.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Very cool article.

As for that idiot phillyfan, he had 2 or 3 ridiculous TJ tweets around October 25 or 26, prior to TJ's explosion, that I responded to. I had given him grief in the past. Don't know how to embed, but highlights include:

- Original Tweet: "TJ is in no way shape or form a past first point guard. If you think he is stop writing about basketball." -- ME: Hows that TJ hate working out for you? Not a pass first point guard, yet is now starting and has 24 ast to 1 TO in last 2 games. -- RESPONSE: He has those stats because the only time he passes the ball is when he will get an assist. Unlike a real point guard. -- ME: Dude had 12 assists and only took four shots, learn sports, wait, only 94 followers? Maybe its time u shut ur blog down and tried something new. I guess you like your pgs to not try to set teammates up with easy buckets though. Cuz that's what pg's are for, right? -- RESPONSE: except not one of his passes is ever on the mark and he in fact makes it a harder scoring attempt. LOL its too easy I swear. -- Me: Not one of his passes on the mark? Do u watch games? Threads passes between two defenders on the interior 2 okafor and noel. And if his passes werent on the mark, he probably wouldnt have a 24:1 assist to TO ration last two games. LMFAO clown.

It's still going on. It's fun, but I think I am done.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

rgdeuce wrote:
Very cool article.

As for that idiot phillyfan, he had 2 or 3 ridiculous TJ tweets around October 25 or 26, prior to TJ's explosion, that I responded to. I had given him grief in the past. Don't know how to embed, but highlights include:

- Original Tweet: "TJ is in no way shape or form a past first point guard. If you think he is stop writing about basketball." -- ME: Hows that TJ hate working out for you? Not a pass first point guard, yet is now starting and has 24 ast to 1 TO in last 2 games. -- RESPONSE: He has those stats because the only time he passes the ball is when he will get an assist. Unlike a real point guard. -- ME: Dude had 12 assists and only took four shots, learn sports, wait, only 94 followers? Maybe its time u shut ur blog down and tried something new. I guess you like your pgs to not try to set teammates up with easy buckets though. Cuz that's what pg's are for, right? -- RESPONSE: except not one of his passes is ever on the mark and he in fact makes it a harder scoring attempt. LOL its too easy I swear. -- Me: Not one of his passes on the mark? Do u watch games? Threads passes between two defenders on the interior 2 okafor and noel. And if his passes werent on the mark, he probably wouldnt have a 21:1 assist to TO ration last two games. LMFAO clown.

It's still going on. It's fun, but I think I am done.
Just show him the Okafor splits on percentages where he's 22/29 with TJ and under 40% without.

My guess is he's a bitter Duquesne grad or something. Nobody can be this stupid without a bias or prejudice contributing.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Good call on that, and an amazing stat.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Jefe that is so awesome! Proud moment at alot of levels!
Anybody know who and when 76er's are playing tonight. I live west coast so im not hopeful
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CBCat wrote:Anybody know who and when 76er's are playing tonight. I live west coast so im not hopeful
http://espn.go.com/nba/team/schedule/_/ ... phia-76ers" target="_blank

Cavs again tonight. 730p
elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
elriop20 wrote:This really makes me question SM offensive schemes. Clearly TJM is killing it in the open court without the defense settled. Too bad we didn't run more last year.
But besides that, 3 Elite Eights in 5 years and being ranked #1 for a while, what is there to show Miller can coach offense?

He is not a fast paced coach. He isn't Lute. He is a good offensive coach, though, and we are just spoiled by watching high flying fast break ball since the 80's. Even times when we have struggled, there are personnel limitations. 2013-14 after Ashley was hurt, it's hard when both your starting forwards cannot hit jumpers. 2012-13, it's hard when you have no true PG and all freshmen inside.

It's great to see TJ succeeding. The Sixers are talent strapped, so he can make that position his if he plays well. He always has repped Arizona well, and should always continue to...until he returns as a coach when his playing days are over?
I would only add that all of college basketball (on average) has slowed down. Scoring is down. Comparison should be to contemporary teams, not past Arizona teams.
All good points and I am 100% pro SM and TJM, but it is interesting think about how our teams may have shaken out with a more fast break styled offense.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

As several have pointed out, the misconception of us not being good offensively, or Miller having flawed or too simple of offensive schemes is not correct. I do think, however, you are not entirely wrong if you were thinking maybe we could have squeezed out a little more offense, maybe worked through some extended dry spells/lulls in some games, or maybe bumped up efficiency a little. I have no problems with our offense, I'm not sure I have under Miller in quite some time. It's the nature of the college game right now, the nature of basketball in general (you are going to have off nights, extended periods where you can't get the ball in the bucket, etc).

We've had decent depth. We've had size. We've had the athletes and finishers. Stanley, Rondae, Bash, Gordon, NJ, (who am I missing?) all guys who can run the floor and finish while TJ was here, Tarc runs the floor very well for a big man too, I won't start on the hands though. At the very least, we can all agree it would have been exciting. Does all that running have a negative effect on legs though on the other end, or what we are trying to do as a unit defensively? Maybe. It was fun to watch in Phoenix with Nash and them, but how were they defensively and how did all that work out for them as they got deeper into the playoffs. You also got to take into account the different defensive looks you see in a college game and tighter spacing, and the games just being different in general,not quite the same TJ is working with in Philly right now. And it's not like TJ is chopped meat in the half court game by any means, college or pro, I consider him top-level.

So I am positive Miller saw this in TJ. I am also positive that he is one of the smartest coaches in the college game and it didn't play out like that for a reason. Would have been fun to watch though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

An underrated factor is the increase in size and athleticism today. A guy Stanley's size would have been a PF is the 80's or 90's. Players are bigger, faster and stronger, but the court is the same size. There just isn't as much open space to run a fast break centric offense.

Even pressing teams like Shaka Smart's teams don't convert into easy offenseike Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell did.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

What's Browns deal tonight w TJ. Didn't flip the game on til second half and TJ barely seeing the floor in the half. He comes in late in the fourth for Like a minute and, does absolutely nothing wrong, and gets benched for Canaan again. He didn't look tired and Canaan is having his only good game all year, but still.

Sixera were up at halftime w TJ getting expected minutes. 2nd half not much time and they lose by six. Not sayin they beat the Cavs, but kind of odd
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

rgdeuce wrote:What's Browns deal tonight w TJ. Didn't flip the game on til second half and TJ barely seeing the floor in the half. He comes in late in the fourth for Like a minute and, does absolutely nothing wrong, and gets benched for Canaan again. He didn't look tired and Canaan is having his only good game all year, but still.

Sixera were up at halftime w TJ getting expected minutes. 2nd half not much time and they lose by six. Not sayin they beat the Cavs, but kind of odd
Yeah I am not liking Canaan at all he def blocked Nick Johnson on the Rockets last year too! Fuck that guy!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jesus, everything about that Sixers blog guy screams "I hate white basketball players that play hard." It's the Aaron Craft phenomena, except you know, TJ has always been and always will be a much better offensive player than Craft, which is why he's starting in the league and Craft is in a country that speaks another language.
biggles

Post by biggles »

The irony of 76ers fan refusing to believe that not all players work as hard as everyone else is pretty awesome
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

TJs game is molded right out of John Stockton. He doesn't need to be a great shooter or scorer, just efficient to make plays when needed. Sure he could be more offensive minded and selfish, but ultimately that would hinder the best aspects of his game.

I'm not comparing TJ to Magic Johnson, but the mindset is to make everyone around you better and get the best shots. And that's what TJ does. The fact that he's undersized and less athletic simply means he needs to emphasize his hustle plays and scrappiness. How is that different from Dennis Rodman who couldn't shoot a lick his entire NBA career? TJ is simply squeezing every bit of juice out of the orange and maximizing his skill set. If a certain Sixer blogger isn't satisfied with that, oh well. I guarantee you have a better chance of winning games with TJ on the floor making everyone else around him better than playing a guard who is more athletic and can score.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Decent game tonight. Missed his last three fg attempts, two were good looks that just didn't fall. finished 3-9 for 6 pts, 8 reb, 9 assists, but five turnovers. Struggled at times defensively with Elfrid Payton, who had his best game of the season. Went over a pick instead of under late in the fourth and let Payton drive for an easy bucket and Brown gave him an ear full to say the least. Another time lost track of Payton when he got overzealous on some help D that wasn't needed, resulted in an easy 15 footer. Both came at the wrong time. Being a little tough here, likely cuz its so out of character. 3 steals and 2 blocks though.

Canaan had his second great night offensively, but I'm sure Brown sees that it's because he doesn't have to worry as much at point guard duties. See him remaining as a combo for the time being. Once again offense looks a lot more fluid with TJ on the floor. Canaan's shooting had him as the same +/- as TJ, but obviously he's not going to have these shooting nights consistently.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why are we giving a troll who's got under 100 followers and gets no retweets or favorites any attention at all?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Did somebody show Alan Iverson how to tweet?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

During the pre-game intro last night, the crowd went absolutely nuts when TJ's part popped up. Three times louder than any other part of the video, and louder than any single oop or dunk in the game itself. TJ has become on of the top 3 most beloved Cats and at this moment in time, he's probably over Elliott and Kerr factoring in the younger crowd.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That guy really hates TJ, huh?

It isn't like the Sixers have a lot of talent. Their other options at PG are Isiah Canaan and Kendall Marshall. They aren't exactly sitting Chris Paul to play TJ.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Never seen anything like this in my life. Who gets mad at an underdog coming in, absolutely killing it early, making YOUR team better, and helping the marquee pieces you drafted early shine? In the early NBA season, how many stories have their been cooler than this? You can see on social media the positive response he is getting from the rough Philly fans, as well as fans who have watched him play their team. They are talking about TJ, not Okafor or Noel, both who have done some nice things.

You would think at this point it is a case of him having way too much pride to admit he was wrong, but this has to be much deeper than that. He's hated him at least since the summer league. And I've never seen anyone ever freak out over exhibition games and dedicate articles, blogs, tweets, whatever to players "costing their team the game" in such games. I've had a few friends and three teammates from Philly. They are a different breed out there, knee-jerk reactors, the slightest thing turns into doomsday, and very vocal when it comes to negativity, but it was nothing even close to this.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Fans are crazy. There are still people who criticize Sean Miller at Arizona.

That guy has a personal grudge against TJ for some reason. It is what it is.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Everyone I have ever met from Philly is a tool. Epitomize east coast tough guy.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

rgdeuce wrote:Never seen anything like this in my life. Who gets mad at an underdog coming in, absolutely killing it early, making YOUR team better, and helping the marquee pieces you drafted early shine? In the early NBA season, how many stories have their been cooler than this? You can see on social media the positive response he is getting from the rough Philly fans, as well as fans who have watched him play their team. They are talking about TJ, not Okafor or Noel, both who have done some nice things.

You would think at this point it is a case of him having way too much pride to admit he was wrong, but this has to be much deeper than that. He's hated him at least since the summer league. And I've never seen anyone ever freak out over exhibition games and dedicate articles, blogs, tweets, whatever to players "costing their team the game" in such games. I've had a few friends and three teammates from Philly. They are a different breed out there, knee-jerk reactors, the slightest thing turns into doomsday, and very vocal when it comes to negativity, but it was nothing even close to this.
You clearly haven't been around many Philly sports fans. PA in general is bad with machismo penis contests, but Philly is the WORST.

On a slightly unrelated note, I am almost more amused that Phil Pressey is now TJ's backup.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

That guy must be a Stephon Marbury fan.

Ask TJ's teammates if they like playing with him. And "trash player," what the hell is that? Basketball isn't entirely about how tall you are or how high you can jump. A lot of the game is played between your ears.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Fans are crazy. There are still people who criticize Sean Miller at Arizona.

That guy has a personal grudge against TJ for some reason. It is what it is.
Maybe he played against him in high school and was physically superior but still got abused by TJ's skills.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

KaibabKat wrote:
3goggles wrote:It's early but is it safe to say TJ has been the best out TJ, SJ and RHJ
PER through 11/3/2015:

14.9 T.J. McConnell
11.3 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
7.9 Stanley Johnson

Brandon Ashley should have stayed.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I'd rather have Anderson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'll do you one better, and will get the screen shot up later when i have some more time:

76ers team numbers with TJ on floor:
103.6 O rating, 49.1 fg, 34.5 three, 1.18 A/TO,
off the floor:
82 O rating, 33.7 fg, 29.5 three, .92 A/TO

Okafor is 64 percent vs 39.5 when TJ is off the floor
Noel is 52.5 percent vs 30.6 when TJ is off the floor.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

rgdeuce wrote:I'll do you one better, and will get the screen shot up later when i have some more time:

off the floor:

I think at this point the reason why he isn't playing more is the 76ers unwavering commitment to suck. They know what they have, but they want a shot at Simmons or Ingram.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I'll do you one better, and will get the screen shot up later when i have some more time:

off the floor:

I think at this point the reason why he isn't playing more is the 76ers unwavering commitment to suck. They know what they have, but they want a shot at Simmons or Ingram.
I'm shocked Okafor isn't on IR yet. He gives them a shot to win games, and Philly is not interested in that. I'm interested to see how long Hinkie gets to constantly lose. There's no end in sight.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

JMarkJohns wrote:

off the floor:

Imagine a front court of Okafor, Noel, Simmons/Ingram.

That would be insanity
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

JMarkJohns wrote:

off the floor:

You really think so? I haven't seen them tanking, or Brown making moves possibly indicating such (outside of TJ's odd second-half benching in his second start). I think they've just been competitive but their inexperience has been killing them late. Down the road though, I can totally see that. Eventually this team is going to turn the corner and start closing out some of these close games
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

They aren't throwing away the season this early. They have had several close games.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:They aren't throwing away the season this early. They have had several close games.
They've been throwing away the better part of this decade at this point.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I may be in minority, but I love what they are doing. They are my adopted NBA team of choice. The could potentially have 3 lottery picks this year an 4 in the top 20. Along with adding Dario Saric and Embid to the rotation next year, this team could be very fun to watch for many years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:I may be in minority, but I love what they are doing. They are my adopted NBA team of choice. The could potentially have 3 lottery picks this year an 4 in the top 20. Along with adding Dario Saric and Embid to the rotation next year, this team could be very fun to watch for many years.
I'm not convinced Embiid ever plays an NBA game. There is some decent reason to believe he's done before he started.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Wowzers.

13 assists tonight and averaging almost 8 APG

Good shit!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

That dude's thing for TJ is like ODogg's thing for Pastner.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

luteformayor2 wrote:Wowzers.

Good shit!
5.1 ppg, 8.3 apg (averaging 9.2 as a starter), 4.6 rpg, 2.4 topg, 1.3 stl, 0.6 blk. His shooting numbers have dropped, 42 and 27 percent. Ranks fifth in assists and fourth in assists per 48 minutes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:Wowzers.

Good shit!
5.1 ppg, 8.3 apg (averaging 9.2 as a starter), 4.6 rpg, 2.4 topg, 1.3 stl, 0.6 blk. His shooting numbers have dropped, 42 and 27 percent. Ranks fifth in assists and fourth in assists per 48 minutes.
In terms of TJ's long term, if he could bump his 3 point percentage to 35%, that would cement a pro future. It's really hard to judge someone's pro future on the Sixers, but TJ is a good distributor, solid defender and brings intangibles. If he can shoot well enough to where they have to guard him, he can carve out a long career with a decent team.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

I think the key stat is assists. We know he plays above average defense. If he keeps distributing the ball (his assist/to ratio is also very impressive), he will last a long time in the league, even though his % from 3 may not be where people would like. SG's primary number is shooting %. PG's primary number is assists.

Great job, TJ!!

Go Cats!!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Puerco wrote:That dude's thing for TJ is like ODogg's thing for Pastner.
Difference being McConnell is proving that guy wrong with results. Pastner on the other hand sucks.