UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by Olsondogg »

As a frame of reference on Vitale's list. He has both Utah and Cal ahead of Arizona, and he ranks ASSU at #38.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:Posted in the Arizona Wildcats Facebook page:
What notification app is that for your mins/texts/data?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:
Merkin wrote:Posted in the Arizona Wildcats Facebook page:
What notification app is that for your mins/texts/data?
It's not mine, stole it from here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/233727896674244/" target="_blank

But I do have something similar on my tablet from AT&T, but never really look at it. I have a 20GB family plan and we never go over 4GB. Unfortunately the rate I pay for 20GB is about the same as the 4GB plan now.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Thanks

Anyone know what team we are practicing against this year?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:Thanks

Not sure but I know Machina will panic if we don't blow them out.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Not sure but I know Machina will panic if we don't blow them out.
Already played. The Gaels blew us away again.

(not really. calm down)
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

No more preseason lists for Dick Vitale. So out of touch and so, so far off.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

catgrad97 wrote:No more preseason lists for Dick Vitale. So out of touch and so, so far off.
What is he so so so far off on?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

PHXCATS wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:No more preseason lists for Dick Vitale. So out of touch and so, so far off.
What is he so so so far off on?

#38 for one.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Apparently Goodman says it's St. Mary's (again).
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Downgrade those season expectations..
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Downgrade those season expectations..
Is there anyone who enjoys hanging out with you? You are seriously like the biggest wet blanket in the history of wet blankets.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yes, because freshmen coming off a serious knee injury are often the make-or-break players for top level college basketball teams. :roll:

I understand extreme takes on the Internet can be cathartic, but seriously, tuck your tampon back in. Or better yet, scream into the void instead: http://screamintothevoid.com" target="_blank
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER is definitely a wet blanket, but this does hurt our expectations a bit. Every thing coming out of practice was that he has been excellent and he's also the most complete player Arizona has at the 3 spot in regards to both offense and defense. Arizona of course has players that can fill in, but none of them are as complete of a player as Ray is. It's a god damn shame. Let's hope for the best for his future, because he deserves NBA riches.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Get Fucked
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Hey, at least Miller is built for running with experience and honoring a system that works to its best with experience. An upper class Pitts would be an annoyingly effective perimeter defender and a confident, smooth, far-shooting assassin on that kind of team. Don't confuse him for the underclassman trying to find his way on a team filled with top talent players who don't yet understand the college game.

What I'm wondering, though, is whether losing an elite athletic talent in Smith increases the need for floor time for Ristic, a real weapon in the block on offense for an inside-and-out passing game with Pitts or (where it works for defensive match ups) Tollefsen on the perimeter.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Quite frankly anything involving Pitts getting more time doesn't excite me one bit. I like my role playing desigated defender/3 point shooters, but I like them strictly as role players. I do have to say if this turns into more PT for Justin Simon then that would be absolutely great for his future development, although it wouldn't do much for the team this season.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This impacts our depth and athleticism. Aside from that, our expected starting five remains intact. And we're still pretty strong off the bench. The Pac race just got tighter, but I think we'll be okay. Gonna be tough to catch Cal.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tolly pick-up looking better and better. Think it does mean more Ristic, and more small ball. If so, Trier needs to be a rebounder. We have options. A lot of teams (like Cal) wouldn't.

PJC/Allen
York/Trier/Simon
Tolly/Trier/Pitts/Simon
Anderson/Ristic/Tolly
Tarc/Ristic
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:This impacts our depth and athleticism. Aside from that, our expected starting five remains intact. And we're still pretty strong off the bench. The Pac race just got tighter, but I think we'll be okay. Gonna be tough to catch Cal.
Of course it's impossible to ever be proven right or wrong about this, but it would have been far from a shocker if Ray was starting by Pac-12 play at the latest. Some expected him to grab the starting job by game 1.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:This impacts our depth and athleticism. Aside from that, our expected starting five remains intact. And we're still pretty strong off the bench. The Pac race just got tighter, but I think we'll be okay. Gonna be tough to catch Cal.
Of course it's impossible to ever be proven right or wrong about this, but it would have been far from a shocker if Ray was starting by Pac-12 play at the latest. Some expected him to grab the starting job by game 1.

Fwiw there's some scuttlebutt about Tolly being out for the next couple of weeks with an injury as well.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Tolly pick-up looking better and better. Think it does mean more Ristic, and more small ball. If so, Trier needs to be a rebounder. We have options. A lot of teams (like Cal) wouldn't.

PJC/Allen
York/Trier/Simon
Tolly/Trier/Pitts/Simon
Anderson/Ristic/Tolly
Tarc/Ristic
Yes, and also, what does Pitts at the 2 open up?

- Defense on the perimeter enabling more opportunities for Tollefsen at the 3?
- Trier at the 3? (avoiding the "two ball-stoppers on the floor" with York and Trier together)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looks like Goodman is following your posts Longhorned.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Our lineup is fine bc of our depth but it just really sucks for Ray
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:ASUHATER is definitely a wet blanket, but this does hurt our expectations a bit. Every thing coming out of practice was that he has been excellent and he's also the most complete player Arizona has at the 3 spot in regards to both offense and defense. Arizona of course has players that can fill in, but none of them are as complete of a player as Ray is. It's a god damn shame. Let's hope for the best for his future, because he deserves NBA riches.
Agreed. But no less than a few hours after a kid had another painful setback in a promising career I get to read shit like that.

Fuck. It isn't like most had great expectations on this year anyway.

The program will be fine, and Miller gets an entire year to figure it out. It's not the bash situation from s couple of years ago.

I just feel for Ray. Such a postitive, likable kid who did everything to prepare for a big year this year after missing out all of his senior year in HS and missing any and all accolades that would have come with it. Then he gets a taste of Mckale love at Red/Blue and it is ripped from him. It shouldn't happen to a player like this. I can think of dozens more bball players that deserve to have the game taken from them.

Not Ray.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:I just feel for Ray. Such a postitive, likable kid who did everything to prepare for a big year this year after missing out all of his senior year in HS and missing any and all accolades that would have come with it. Then he gets a taste of Mckale love at Red/Blue and it is ripped from him. It shouldn't happen to a player like this.
I think that's the rational reaction to news like this.

Lamenting how this will affect your own personal emotional investment in this team is so much self-centered bullshit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I just feel for Ray. Such a postitive, likable kid who did everything to prepare for a big year this year after missing out all of his senior year in HS and missing any and all accolades that would have come with it. Then he gets a taste of Mckale love at Red/Blue and it is ripped from him. It shouldn't happen to a player like this.
I think that's the rational reaction to news like this.

Lamenting how this will affect your own personal emotional investment in this team is so much self-centered bullshit.
^^^ Both of these
az91

Post by az91 »

Does the Smith injury mean more court time for Comanche?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

az91 wrote:Does the Smith injury mean more court time for Comanche?
I imagine it puts the redshirt discussions off the table.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah absolutely can't redshirt Comanche. As it is we have currently 0 3s/wings on the team now.

luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah absolutely can't redshirt Comanche. As it is we have currently 0 3s/wings on the team now.
What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Simon, Trier, Allen, Pitts, and Tollefson are all fully capable of being very good college wingmen.

Seriously. It is one thing to have differing opinions, but you are literally just spewing a coalesced mound of human feces onto these threads. What in the fuck is wrong with your brain?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

What does Comanche have to do with wing depth exactly?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

luteformayor2 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah absolutely can't redshirt Comanche. As it is we have currently 0 3s/wings on the team now.
What in the actual fuck are you talking about? Simon, Trier, Allen, Pitts, and Tollefson are all fully capable of being very good college wingmen.

Seriously. It is one thing to have differing opinions, but you are literally just spewing a coalesced mound of human feces onto these threads. What in the fuck is wrong with your brain?
None of those players are wings. Please try again. Simon is a pg. Pitts Allen and trier are 2ss and tollefsen is a 4.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:

None of those players are wings. Please try again. Simon is a pg. Pitts Allen and trier are 2ss and tollefsen is a 4.
Simon can play the 1 through 3, and even the 4 against similarly sized guys. Pitts is definitely a 3. Doesn't dribble or create his own shot well enough to be anything but. You can play him at the 2, but there's he's only a plus on the defensive end. Allen and Trier can definitely play the 3, especially in Miller's offense where 1-4 are pretty much interchangeable. Tollefson is our likely starter at the 3.

Normally this would be where I say, "try again", but don't. Just give it up.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:

Your absurdity is so pronounced that you have officially elevated from shitty poster to internet troll.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

luteformayor2 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:

Your absurdity is so pronounced that you have officially elevated from shitty poster to internet troll.
OK. I mean nothing I said was wrong. But whatever you say.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:

OK. I mean nothing I said was wrong. But whatever you say.
I know this has become your favorite phrase (mainly because you apparently think just stating that you are right absolves you of backing up your opinion with anything resembling evidence) but literally everything you said was incorrect.
gumby

Post by gumby »

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/Basketb ... ology.html" target="_blank

Everyone who plays on the wing is a wing. Comanche is not a wing. Redshirt costs nothing on the wings. Last year's starting wings were Johnson and York. This year's wings: Tolly, SImon, York, Allen, Trier, Pitts, Smith. Note the absence of Comanche. Smith is gone. Comanche won't be moved to wing.

All of these statements are true. Sorry for the elementary nature of this post.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Do you mean that Comanche should play small forward? Or do you mean something else?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Longhorned, can you please start offering a weekly online course for Asuhater?

I think with a few hours hitting the books each night you can have him comprehending what a center is by Christmas.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He must be trying to say something else, though. If you believe in something like a pure 3, and you don't believe that Pitts is one, you could argue that Pitts, Simon, and Trier are swingmen, and then maybe argue with some agility that there are zero pure 3's and there's some kind of problem with that and how it isn't helped enough by Tollefsen. But there must be some reason for advocating the availability of a third pure 5 in that scenario.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Merkin wrote:
Going to have to agree with Goodman here. Particularly after watching your red/blue game this year. Have to go Cal, UCLA and Oregon all before I even consider Arizona. Think Arizona will make the tournament, but round of 32 is your floor and Sweet 16 your ceiling.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You watched the Red/Blue? Just when I think your obsession can't get any deeper...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Going to have to agree with Goodman here. Particularly after watching your red/blue game this year. Have to go Cal, UCLA and Oregon all before I even consider Arizona. Think Arizona will make the tournament, but round of 32 is your floor and Sweet 16 your ceiling.
Get bent. You learned nothing from the Red/Blue scrimmage. Enjoy your Lightfoot.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

enfuego wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Trying to move past you watching Arizona's Red/Blue scrimmage (you watched Arizona's Red/Blue scrimmage???), and then trying to move past an entertainment-focused intrasquad scrimmage as a basis for ranking Arizona agianst other PAC-12 teams, my question is: What did you think Arizona's floor and ceiling was before Arizona lost its most talented player for the season, who scouts were monitoring as a possible lottery pick and the team's best player by March?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Longhorned wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Trying to move past you watching Arizona's Red/Blue scrimmage (you watched Arizona's Red/Blue scrimmage???), and then trying to move past an entertainment-focused intrasquad scrimmage as a basis for ranking Arizona agianst other PAC-12 teams, my question is: What did you think Arizona's floor and ceiling was before Arizona lost its most talented player for the season, who scouts were monitoring as a possible lottery pick and the team's best player by March?
Well, that was my observation when your best player was not injured. I see a group of good, not great players. Of course it was a scrimmage, so take it with a grain of salt. Tollefson looks like a talent. Anderson looks like he plays below the rim... a smaller Landen Lucas, if you will. None of your guards are impressive, although Trier is highly rated, so maybe he impresses during the season. York will have to carry the load from the backcourt.

I watched the scrimmage, because I live in the Pac-12 and it has been a long 6+ months without college basketball. We've been over this thousands of times.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, well, your prediction for Arizona as things stand is fair to bullish, which is surprising because you were derisive about Arizona even when they were undefeated in February 2014 before Ashley's injury. For this pre-season, I thought before losing Smith, Arizona was conference champions, a 3-seed, and a Sweet 16 team with a less likely "anything can happen" in the tourney. Now I think Arizona is second in the conference behind Cal, a 6-seed, and hoping for an unlikely win over a 3-seed in the round of 32. As a fan, though, I'm foolishly optimistic to believe in unexpected magic this season and every season.
gumby

Post by gumby »

What's even more impressive is that he's obviously watched the new pieces at Cal, Oregon and UCLA, too. Thus, finding those teams to be superior.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:What's even more impressive is that he's obviously watched the new pieces at Cal, Oregon and UCLA, too. Thus, finding those teams to be superior.
Why not? I live in the midwest and I've been scouting Iowa State, Texas, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State to determine how Kansas will fare against them. I'm about to go post my prediction on Kansas's message boards.