HiCat

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by HiCat »

Joe Pasternack leaving Wildcats to be head coach at UC Santa Barbara

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... recruiting" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Lead recruiter for Ira Lee, Alex Barcello and Emmanuel Akot. Do they waiver?

In any event, congrats.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:Awfully close to April 1...If Lauri doesn't hire an agent in the next 2 days I bet theres a press conference to announce he's coming back

Too soon?
April 1 is the day Paulo Cruz declares for the NBA, and Lauri won't want to steal his thunder.
Sidd Finch is the kid we need to look at. Grad transfer from the Flushing Meadows area. Get on it, Book!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pop McKale wrote:
rgdeuce wrote: There is no perfect scenario. 3 years is too much without the options you proposed. 2 years may be a fair balance, but its not completely necessary IMO and even then, you may be pushing some more to Europe. At least with 1, we get to see the best compete against great comp once or twice a week on TV if you have the sports package on cable. You get to see the next Lebron James or Kobe Bryant actually play in March Madness games. Id rather have that than deal with what baseball does, where most of the elite talent is not going to play in the NCAA. Why would they? NCAA baseball loses a ton of talent to JUCO and guys being drafted out of HS. Generally speaking, baseball is a white, middle to upper middle class game in America. Most stars in the NBA do not fall within the same demographics. You dangle a $50,000 signing bonus in front of a kid from a poor urban neighborhood, what you think is going to happen? $50,000 to someone who has nothing is not the same as Blake, whose parents live in a $300,000 house in a nice neighborhood, whose dad has business ties so if baseball falls through, he still has his UCLA degree and can hit the ground running. IMO, this is blatantly setting up young urban blacks up to fail and would only lead to even more exploitation. Minor league baseball is cut throat. There are no guaranteed contracts and they can give you your walking papers at any time. Its bad for the kids and bad for the fans.
First, have to say I love your posts and your perspective.

Not sure I understand why adding a year to the college commitment or just letting kids go direct from HS is so much worse and why the OAD rule is the best compromise. Without making this a huge socio-economic debate, many young urban blacks are already set up to fail in far more serious ways. So, I can't make that leap with you. Besides, most of these kids have someone or many someones in their ear from age...what?...5? 8? 10? saying they can be like Mike. A lot may have the best of intentions, many may just be gravy-training. Has nothing to do with NCAA or NBA policy. The percentages are what they are for all professional sports. Your odds are slim. Really slim. Who is telling them this while also encouraging them to get jobs, stay in school, get good grades, etc.? That said, there's absolutely exploitation going on from both sides. I'm pretty fatigued by it. Maybe numb is a better adjective. Those feel-good chest-thumping NCAA ads about student athletes going professional in something besides sports? Let's have a little honesty and show the kids who are lining up the hats on the table or shedding 3 different jerseys and making a general self-indulgent spectacle of themselves and their "commitments". Meanwhile, I'll take a lower standard of play any day with kids who want to be in school, want to play college ball, and are serious about getting degrees. I love college sports above all others. I enjoy getting to know these kids beyond their exploits on the court 30-35 days in the fall/winter. One thing I like about Miller is he has a knack for assembling teams full of genuinely good dudes. I love seeing them develop from year to year under a coach I really admire and appreciate. I have zero interest in salary caps, constantly changing rosters, trade demands, or gauging the NBA prospects of our incoming classes year after year before they've even checked into their dorms at UofA.

Your previous post talks about the minor league system and how much more the NBA would have to add to have anything remotely close to a farm system. Well, OK. They seem to be doing pretty f'ing well as far as revenue is concerned, so get to work! To be clear, I don't blame any player for leaving early and I'll cheer like hell for them while they're in our godawful unis. If they can get paid to play ball then go for it. I just want the charade to end and the system to be radically changed as gumby suggests.
Love ya, Pop!

Said it well.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

HiCat wrote:Joe Pasternack leaving Wildcats to be head coach at UC Santa Barbara

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... recruiting" target="_blank
Congratulations Coach!

So far that's the worst news of the off season. Hopefully we ca fill his void quickly.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Congrats to Pasternack. Certainly will have hard work ahead of him at that school, but I'd wager he'll be up to the task.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

gumby wrote:Lead recruiter for Ira Lee, Alex Barcello and Emmanuel Akot. Do they waiver?

In any event, congrats.
As long as Miller is still coaching here and we are still the U of A, do you really think they would back out because an assistant got his shot at coaching a mid-major (something that I don't believe is all that uncommon)

who knows, it could happen, but i'm not too worried. seems like a stretch
gumby

Post by gumby »

My doc recommends stretching. I don't mean they go to Santa Barbara, but another school that says stuff like, "We're Arizona!"

Imagine it's a bit jarring to have the guy you built the relationship with suddenly leave. Probably won't happen, but if the commitment was a close call ...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Barcello, Lee, Akot didn't commit for Joe. He didn't hurt, but they committed because they wanted to go to Arizona.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Then who needs him ... :)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I feel like recruits reconsidering when their recruiter takes a different job happens way more often in football than basketball.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

ChooChooCat wrote:Barcello, Lee, Akot didn't commit for Joe. He didn't hurt, but they committed because they wanted to go to Arizona.
And my guess, part of the sales pitch was selling them on Miller as the coach.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Lorenzo...you complete us...

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:I feel like recruits reconsidering when their recruiter takes a different job happens way more often in football than basketball.
That's predominantly due to the fact head bball coaches are more involved with recruiting and building relationships than head football coaches are, that has pretty much every thing to do with how many recruits you're after in a cycle of course. Sean Miller of course is involved, especially when he has decided to specifically target a guy. In certain instances like Lute towards the end, he wasn't involved in recruiting much at all, and he let namely Pastner choose who to prioritize and let them build the relationships solely pretty much. Obviously there were reasons for Lute's laid back stance on recruiting toward the end and why most basketball coaches are not that way and can not afford to be that way.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The other shoe drops
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

Main Event wrote:
Someone explain this to me.

He isn't ready for the NBA and his play time is only going to increase here. If he was a 3-4 year player he could play his way into a long term NBA career.

He's just throwing away his future.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

elriop20 wrote:
Main Event wrote:

He isn't ready for the NBA and his play time is only going to increase here. If he was a 3-4 year player he could play his way into a long term NBA career.

He doesn't want to be in college. His PT isn't increasing unless Trier leaves and Bowen doesn't come.

You can play your way into the NBA in places other than college. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Best of luck to him.

I get a distinct feeling both parties have moved on.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Kobi and his handlers/family never EVER expected him to stay more than 1 year in college. Ever.
gumby

Post by gumby »

elriop20 wrote:
Main Event wrote:

He disagrees.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Academic issues? Choo said he would probably be ineligible if he stayed

stupid stupid stupid
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Chief,
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Jefe wrote:Academic issues? Choo said he would probably be ineligible if he stayed

stupid stupid stupid
Probably because he stopped going to class at the beginning of the semester, as do most players who know they are leaving. Not because of grades during the fall semester. That would have him ineligible in the spring.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Academic issues? Choo said he would probably be ineligible if he stayed

stupid stupid stupid
Probably because he stopped going to class at the beginning of the semester, as do most players who know they are leaving. Not because of grades during the fall semester. That would have him ineligible in the spring.
Bingo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Comanche may not be a smart "declare and get info" move. This may very well be another Grant Jerrett situation and if that's the case there is something wrong with the culture of our program or at the very least the players we target. UNC just won the title with a 5 star senior at the 4 and a 4 star senior at the 5, yet we may possibly lose a 4 star sophomore who came off the bench? GARBAGE.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chance Comanche ... didn't see that coming.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Comanche may not be a smart "declare and get info" move. This may very well be another Grant Jerrett situation and if that's the case there is something wrong with the culture of our program or at the very least the players we target. UNC just won the title with a 5 star senior at the 4 and a 4 star senior at the 5, yet we may possibly lose a 4 star sophomore who came off the bench? GARBAGE.
Gut feeling we're losing him, need to go after McCoy hard.
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

NYCat wrote:Chief,
Dear NBA Waters,

Be brutally honest with him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote:Chief,
If he can't defend the basket in college, how can he do it in the league?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Comanche may not be a smart "declare and get info" move. This may very well be another Grant Jerrett situation and if that's the case there is something wrong with the culture of our program or at the very least the players we target. UNC just won the title with a 5 star senior at the 4 and a 4 star senior at the 5, yet we may possibly lose a 4 star sophomore who came off the bench? GARBAGE.
Gut feeling we're losing him, need to go after McCoy hard.
He's not coming.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

EVCat wrote:Probably because he stopped going to class at the beginning of the semester, as do most players who know they are leaving. Not because of grades during the fall semester. That would have him ineligible in the spring.
Woh. How do you stop going to class and stay eligible for 2-3 months?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jeter?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

If I had to guess, it's playing time. And declaring for the NBA is faster than transferring.

Looks like we should look at a transfer and pickup Jeter

But come on, chance couldn't beat out effing Ristic
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jeter has to sit out a year
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:
EVCat wrote:Probably because he stopped going to class at the beginning of the semester, as do most players who know they are leaving. Not because of grades during the fall semester. That would have him ineligible in the spring.

Was wondering the same thing, this has to hurt the APR for the team. Fortunately Denny was a scholarship player last season and was all academic at his last conference, so his grades should help.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:
You aren't ineligible until the semester grades come in. So, he has a few weeks to turn it around academically!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:If I had to guess, it's playing time. And declaring for the NBA is faster than transferring.

Fucking irks me to no end. Isaiah Hicks, a 5 star recruit out of HS, played 18 minutes per game as a Junior at UNC, which is the same amount of time Comanche, a 4 star developmental player, played as a Sophomore. Playing time? Fuck off. He will be handed nearly 30 minutes per game as a senior and certainly no less than the 18 he just got last year as a Junior.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Jefe wrote:
Grades dont post until the class is done
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Good riddance then. We covered his scholarship to sit on the bench and not get an education. Wow
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Kobi officially gone

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Glad he didnt get a presser, didn't deserve one
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ha no presser. No love lost! What a shame
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

You guys take this way too personal
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Main Event wrote:You guys take this way too personal
Our tax dollars paid for his wasted scholarship and our after tax dollars were spent on game tickets. Its personal
Last edited by Jefe on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Its not personal. If you dont go to class you don't fulfill your end of the deal, so you dont deserve the benefits given to others who do.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Jefe wrote:
Our tax dollars paid for his useless scholarship and our after tax dollar were spent on game tickets. Its personal
Was it useless after the UCLA or Michigan St? You're bitter a kid left your favorite school earlier than you liked. Kobi's not the first kid to stop going to class and won't be the last, get over it.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

PHXCATS wrote:
Its not personal. If you dont go to class you don't fulfill your end of the deal, so you dont deserve the benefits given to others who do.
The benefits of Joe Message Board wishing you good luck? I doubt he's losing sleep over not getting a presser
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:If I had to guess, it's playing time. And declaring for the NBA is faster than transferring.

Fucking irks me to no end. Isaiah Hicks, a 5 star recruit out of HS, played 18 minutes per game as a Junior at UNC, which is the same amount of time Comanche, a 4 star developmental player, played as a Sophomore. Playing time? Fuck off. He will be handed nearly 30 minutes per game as a senior and certainly no less than the 18 he just got last year as a Junior.
Exactly. In what universe does Comanche think he'll get paid to play ball next year? Whoever is advising him is an idiot. And Chance is an idiot if he's advising himself or listening to anyone telling him to go pro. Every UA fan on the planet knows he's crazy for even considering turning pro. I hate this. Why does this stupid stuff happen to Arizona and not other programs?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Main Event wrote:Was it useless after the UCLA or Michigan St? You're bitter a kid left your favorite school earlier than you liked. Kobi's not the first kid to stop going to class and won't be the last, get over it.
You first ;) Lets be honest, this is much worse than GJ