Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by 97cats »

i dont think he was stinko against UCLA -- ASU and WSU i cant argue
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Vegas had a preseason bet for Stanley to avg 16/8 per game. I think that was regular season only but not sure.

Sitting at 14.2 and 6.8 right now. I didnt take the bet but Im still hoping for some big games to finish out his regular season career.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That is nuts. The day a freshman wing comes here and puts up those numbers in Miller's system with a team filled with talent.....
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

rgdeuce wrote:That is nuts. The day a freshman wing comes here and puts up those numbers in Miller's system with a team filled with talent.....
I imagine Trier will have a similar spread...

I do have a side bet with a buddy on Kadeem's PPG :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Vegas had a preseason bet for Stanley to avg 16/8 per game. I think that was regular season only but not sure.

Sitting at 14.2 and 6.8 right now. I didnt take the bet but Im still hoping for some big games to finish out his regular season career.
Yeah, there's too much talent on this team to take the over on that. Plus, betting on a sf to average over 8 rpg is usually a bad proposition.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Got most of his after the game was in hand. But York picked up the slack. Stan seems a bit shaky with the handle lately. And that three-pointer that was wide left was strange.
Right where I want to be.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Jefe wrote:Vegas had a preseason bet for Stanley to avg 16/8 per game. I think that was regular season only but not sure.

Rebounds was actually 8.5, something no player on any of Miller's teams have ever done.
gumby

Post by gumby »

That's cool. I'm a block from the Davenport. Missed my brush with greatness.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azcat34 wrote:

Rebounds was actually 8.5, something no player on any of Miller's teams have ever done.
Found it, only 14.5ppg too wow. Assuming thats reg season only?
azcat34 wrote:For the gamblers

SJ o/u points is 14.5 PPG and rebounds is 8.5 a game.

RHJ is at 11.5 PPG and 7 RPG.

https://sports.bovada.lv/sports-betting ... -props.jsp
186 rebs through 28 games. Needs 78 rebs over the next 3 games to hit 18.5

RJ needs to avg 12 and 7.5 to hit his O/U
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We are about to see what kind of person Stanley Johnson really is

How will he respond to his benching in AZ's biggest game of the year?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

He looked really mad at himself. Hopefully he'll step it up in a big way next week.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Alieberman wrote:We are about to see what kind of person Stanley Johnson really is

Had to turn off due to slow connection here...missed the 2nd half......what was the main reason for benching? His poor offense?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just poor defense, CSM seems OK with his chucking.

The TJ SJ talk end of game looked pretty promising.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:We are about to see what kind of person Stanley Johnson really is

Had to turn off due to slow connection here...missed the 2nd half......what was the main reason for benching? His poor offense?
Half assed it on D, gave up a big three to Taylor
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Thanks Merk and UAEebs86!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Where to start???? Ultimately, it was a brain fart of epic proportions that led to a wide open three that got Utah back in the game when it was slipping away
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

We're going to need him to figure his game out come tournament time. We need the whole team at their best.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

his performance tonight is one thing; but mostly i hope he isn't injured. we never found out what kokoskie was treating him for earlier -- or did we?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Despite that performance, he should have gone to the line 3 or 4 more times. I think the issue is 1) his size makes it look like he isnt getting fouled? 2) he tends to draw contact but contort or adjust right after contact, rather than sell the foul. It can be a good thing to have a shot at a three pt play, but he isnt finishing them and not gettin the call either. Rough night from all angles
AzDave

Post by AzDave »

RG...I think you're dead on about his size. He absorbs contact and keeps going through it so easily. Just a rough game for Stanley tonight...still ended up with a double double...got to the line a handful of times (in a game where we needed every point we could get)...just couldn't hit fgs and didn't have a good defensive game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It looked like his hip or back was bothering him. No lift tonight.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:It looked like his hip or back was bothering him. No lift tonight.
He came out and was attended to following a jumper, right? Was weird
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

blame me, I gave him the POM kiss of death by picking him in RAP
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Chicat wrote:It looked like his hip or back was bothering him. No lift tonight.
It didn't help that he got no calls tonight. He was fouled numerous times and only picked up an offensive foul. To be fair, the refs seemed to favor the defense under the basket all night. Worse call was Bachynski's flop against Tarc in the first half.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Rough night. Fran made a good point about him needing to get better at finishing. Eleven boards, though.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:Rough night. Fran made a good point about him needing to get better at finishing. Eleven boards, though.
Some nice dance moves in the locker room as well...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I expect two dominant performances next week by the Stanimal.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

catgrad97 wrote:I expect two dominant performances next week by the Stanimal.
Why? He hasn't got the message yet when he was pulled. May not be an okg
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It started bad for Stanley on their first bucket...he tried to leak out on the rebound, but they offensive rebounded it, we blocked the shot, they got another shot up and missed, got the board, and kicked to the corner for an open 3. The problem was Stanley had never come back from his leak out...he watched all of that standing near half court, just at the last second sprinting toward the corner when the shot was going up, making no actual difference. Miller was incensed and Stanley had a pretty tight leash from that point forward. And that was really bad. The failure to close out on the three that got him pulled for good was a poor defensive play, but he was sprinting back and just didn't recognize shooter...the one on their first basket was like a rec center play..."look, I have already ran to half court...you guys need to pick me up and play 5 on 4, OK?" I was shocked at how willfully disregarding of the defensive role he was on that particular play. It might have been the worst of the season because it was lazy rather than tentative.

The best thing that happened is we got the win with him on the bench. It makes the message a lot easier to send when the benching can't be looked at as costing us the game. CSM and the rest of the team proved they can win without him. But no one thinks that is a good idea. So hopefully Stanley comes back this coming week a little contrite and a little hungry. He's not a bad kid...at all. He just isn't Aaron Gordon - World's Nicest Star Freshman.

I liked what I saw in pure grit out there tonight. Soon enough, it will be with, not without, Mr Johnson.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Stan tweeted that if he had gone 1/50, he'd still be happy. .
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

Let Taylor run right to his spot and hit a three in a crucial period during the last 6 minutes of game. It was a "slow moving" play and he let him get right to his spot. It was bye bye Stan for the entire game right after. I'm not an X and O person and even I was like wtf all Stan had to do was step up into the spot, had all the time in the world but he let Taylor step into his shot. buh bye after that onto the bench like I said. But it all worked out and Stan stepped up big into the lane most of the game for us on the O end no doubt. Also the Refs do Stan no favors which sucks. He gets fouled alot and no calls.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

He got benched because of the open 3 he gave up at a crucial point in the game, as mentioned above. You can't take ANY plays off on defense, and Sean was making the point right there. As far as his offense, he was hacked on a number of occasions with no call. He did miss a lot of put backs near the basket on his own missed shots (that he was fouled on), but he still needs to go up STRONG on those. Grab and dunk. It's so easy for them to not call the foul when you are simply trying to half ass tip it back in or you are double pumping a lay up attempt.

Go strong, young man. Channel your inner Ben Davidson.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Butcher wrote:Go strong, young man. Channel your inner Ben Davidson.
Is that the love child of Ben Davis and Bennett Davison?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
Late Oakland Raiders linebacking terror and Miller Light spokesman.

And Stanley will have two big performances next week for the same reason Arizona is a 1 seed now--because I know they will.

I'm a fan. That gives me reason enough to believe.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Chicat wrote:
You know..now that I think of it, you may be right. I'm combining the two and wanting a love child. A very strong and mobile love child.
eoe

Post by eoe »

He was sitting near the coaches cheering his ass off the last few minutes. He was trying to pump TJ up that last minute and a half after he received the chewing out from TJ and coach.

He was a beast in the paint last night, but shots just weren't dropping and they were not going to call anything in the post. All he does is win. Man messed around and dropped a double-double on an OFF night. :lol:

Stanley Johnson @_5Gauge 13 hours ago
....I could go 1-50 and be happy as hell right now for everyone's information #BTFD #ROADKILL

Stanley Johnson @_5Gauge · 13 hours ago
PSA: We just had the biggest road win of our year and we are In the driver seat to win the pac 12 out right
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Myron Medcalf is a fucking idiot.

Stanley Johnson (3-for-19, zero assists) had been all about Stanley Johnson most of the night. He'd forced shots and committed a silly offensive foul. And in the closing stretch of a title fight, he'd failed to close out when Brandon Taylor hit a 3-pointer that gave Utah a 57-55 lead with 1:57 to go.

Miller berated Johnson and then he benched him. And instead of cheering for his teammates and pumping his fists for the guys on the floor, Johnson acted like a freshman and pouted. At least that's what the cameras caught. And perception is based on what the cameras catch.

Miller made the right move. Johnson might be the best player in the Pac-12 and an All-American, but he lost his chance to help the Wildcats when he missed a crucial defensive assignment.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Not a great game for Stanley but I bet he dominates this weekend. I also did not see any pouting in that post game video, seemed pretty fired up to be PAC 12 champs
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Medcalf is getting ripped in the comments (including by me) and rightly so. Asshole...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:Medcalf is getting ripped in the comments (including by me) and rightly so. Asshole...
Whenever I go through my worst of the worst list (Seth Davis, Goodman, etc.) I always forget about drama queen Medcalf.
He's really useless.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Medcalf sucks at life. He'll pulled something last year too that really pissed me off, but I forgot. Was he bagging on Mckale?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

eoe wrote:He was sitting near the coaches cheering his ass off the last few minutes. He was trying to pump TJ up that last minute and a half after he received the chewing out from TJ and coach.

He was a beast in the paint last night, but shots just weren't dropping and they were not going to call anything in the post. All he does is win. Man messed around and dropped a double-double on an OFF night. :lol:

Stanley Johnson @_5Gauge 13 hours ago
....I could go 1-50 and be happy as hell right now for everyone's information #BTFD #ROADKILL

Stanley Johnson @_5Gauge · 13 hours ago
PSA: We just had the biggest road win of our year and we are In the driver seat to win the pac 12 out right
thank you for this post
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Medcalf sucks at life. He'll pulled something last year too that really pissed me off, but I forgot. Was he bagging on Mckale?
It was when we were about 18-0 and he kept saying Syracuse was better even though they had not played away from home. Then Duke best them. Of course we had beat Duke
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Medcalf sucks at life. He'll pulled something last year too that really pissed me off, but I forgot. Was he bagging on Mckale?
It was when we were about 18-0 and he kept saying Syracuse was better even though they had not played away from home. Then Duke best them. Of course we had beat Duke
Ah, thats it and then he got all pissy when ARIZONA fans called him out on it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stanley was out, what, the final 2:30-3?

Cant remember if it was the 1:55 timeout or the :44 timout but after the players went back out Miller was standing to the side of Stanley watching the court. Pasternack was by Stanley and went over to Miller and leaned over to ask him something. Miller shrugged his shoulders and gave him a "tough shit" look. Im thinking Pasternack asked about putting Stanley back in and Miller wanted none of it.

How long until we get game long live footage of our bench? I would pay a monthly fee just to watch Sean all game long. Just put it in the upper right corner.
Chicat wrote:
lol
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thought this was interesting:

http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/art ... 91642.html

Item last: Arizona freshman Stanley Johnson attempted 19 shots at Utah. He made three. In retrospect, it’s amazing the Wildcats could win with those numbers.

Derrick Williams never attempted more than 17 shots in his Arizona days. Mark Lyons, a go-to scorer, didn’t have a game with more than 16 shots.

Nick Johnson twice took 20 shots in his junior season. Arizona lost both games, at Arizona State and in the Pac-12 final against UCLA.

In the Sean Miller system, less has led to more.

And I thought Lyons was a chucker.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:Thought this was interesting:

http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/art ... 91642.html

Item last: Arizona freshman Stanley Johnson attempted 19 shots at Utah. He made three. In retrospect, it’s amazing the Wildcats could win with those numbers.

Derrick Williams never attempted more than 17 shots in his Arizona days. Mark Lyons, a go-to scorer, didn’t have a game with more than 16 shots.

Nick Johnson twice took 20 shots in his junior season. Arizona lost both games, at Arizona State and in the Pac-12 final against UCLA.

In the Sean Miller system, less has led to more.

And I thought Lyons was a chucker.

Interesting indeed but I think the number is a little inflated for Stanley with the put back misses on Saturday
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Interesting indeed but I think the number is a little inflated for Stanley with the put back misses on Saturday
Absolutely, he did have 8(?) offensive rebounds.

Tough interior D by Utah too.