Deandre Ayton

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: DeAndre Ayton

Post by rgdeuce »

Longhorned wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:The most talented player I have ever seen in Tucson, and Sean Elliot was my favorite player when I was a kid.
Elliott is my favorite player I've ever watched, but I think Markkanen is more talented than Elliott. Hard to compare 1-year players with 4-year players, but Markkanen as a senior in college would be remembered for a long, long time.
Agree about Lauri. And one year later, we get another guy who is (IMO) head and shoulders above him.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I’ll chime in: nah. Elliott was more talented than Lauri. They actually have remarkably similar career stats, but Elliott did what he did on the wing, which IMO has a higher level of difficulty. Derrick Williams is the other competitor for that award.

Ayton very well may be the top of the heap though. We’ll see after some real competition comes along.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spell it right. Title of thread should be "Deandre ..." ReSpect, please!
I care!
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

As for Sean Elliott vs. LM. I need a refresher on definition of "talent." I think people use it differently.

Tough comparison since Sean stuck around to be national POY. He certainly was better at making everyone else better. Better playmaker than any guard he played with in college. Kerr, McMillan, Lofton, Matt M. We had good, not great, guards on extraordinary teams. Got away with it because of Elliott, especially his senior season.

Lauri is very talented, but will that translate to well-rounded? Defense is a thing, too. As is passing. Are those things "talents"? OTOH, can't see Elliott being as productive as LM has been thus far if he had left after one college season.

If based on freshman campaigns, could argue that Bayless > Elliott.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

This is absurd
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:This is absurd
That's one reason to be in love with Ayton. Aside from the measurables, he has such fluidity in his reactions, movements and shot.

The "born to do this" aspect of Lauri's game is something you see in Ayton too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Initially, it feels like Deandre can get any shot he wants whenever he wants it. And if our slashers are getting into the lane like Trier does here, DA’s gonna get high% shots and put-backs all day.
prh

Post by prh »

I have been amazed at his passing. That one handed jump touch pass was the epitome of it but there's been plenty of other great passing exhibited. It helps when you can throw the basketball like it's a baseball.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

prh wrote:I have been amazed at his passing. That one handed jump touch pass was the epitome of it but there's been plenty of other great passing exhibited. It helps when you can throw the basketball like it's a baseball.
Nerf ball
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:I have been amazed at his passing. That one handed jump touch pass was the epitome of it but there's been plenty of other great passing exhibited. It helps when you can throw the basketball like it's a baseball.
Yep. Also, he doesn't have the shooting issue other guys with huge hands tend to have (Shaq, Deandre Jordan and Drummond are examples) where their hand size negatively impacts their release on jump shots and free throws.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

And he backed himself into 18 pts and another double double!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yeah, think he only had two pts at the half too.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

prh

Post by prh »

From Mark Titus's power rankings https://www.theringer.com/2017/11/17/16 ... yson-allen" target="_blank
And then I saw this retweeted into my timeline on Sunday. So now I know two things about Ayton: (1) he lifts weights and (2) he puts fools on posters. And honestly, I’m kind of happy to leave it at that. I’m tempted to not watch a single second of Arizona basketball all season and only consume the Ayton content that finds its way into my Twitter feed. At the rate things are going, I’ll be spreading urban legends about the guy like he’s Paul F’ing Bunyan by February. Speaking of which, Wildcats fans, help me out with a rumor I’m hearing: Is it true that Ayton can lift Parker Jackson-Cartwright off the ground just by palming the top of his head?
Emphasis mine, but that's a very interesting question
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dear Mod;

Make it "Deandre." Embarrassing to misspell that in a Wildcat forum.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:Dear Mod;

Make it "Deandre." Embarrassing to misspell that in a Wildcat forum.

They better change his Wikipedia page as well.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Mid-range and spelling: Lost arts.

Doesn't help that he goes both ways.
Gumby is not amused; neither is GumBy. (Looks at profile) Or is it gumby?
HiCat

Re: Deandre Ayton

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Basketball
Hoops beat pipes for Deandre Ayton, the Bahamian big man turned Arizona phenomenon

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star 1 hr ago

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 6832b.html" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

In today's presser someone asked if coming to the Bahamas was a recruiting tool and Coach said he didn't tell Deandre until after he committed
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

POW

First of many I presume...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Deandre Ayton named Pac-12 Player of the Week

Dec 4, 2017, 2:04pm PST

Arizona Wildcats freshman Deandre Ayton has been named Pac-12 Player of the Week, it was announced by the conference Monday.

The big man averaged 20.5 points and 9.5 rebounds on 62 percent shooting in Arizona’s wins over Long Beach State and UNLV, including a 28-point, 10-rebound outing against the Runnin’ Rebels.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... highlights" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Won't be the last. Well-deserved.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Insider anyone?

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... -nba-draft" target="_blank

Draft stock watch: Takeaways from Ayton vs. Williams top-10 matchup

PHOENIX -- With potential No. 1 pick Deandre Ayton and projected top-10 pick Robert Williams squaring off in Phoenix on Tuesday evening, NBA general managers, scouts and executives flocked to Talking Stick Resort Arena for the first ever Valley of the Sun Shootout.

Here's an in-depth look at what we learned about Ayton and Williams in Arizona's 67-64 win.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Insider anyone?

PHOENIX -- With potential No. 1 pick Deandre Ayton and projected top-10 pick Robert Williams squaring off in Phoenix on Tuesday evening, NBA general managers, scouts and executives flocked to Talking Stick Resort Arena for the first ever Valley of the Sun Shootout.

Here's an in-depth look at what we learned about Ayton and Williams in Arizona's 67-64 win.
I don't have insider, but I assume the insider take is about how one sided that was.

Williams is a legit prospect and Ayton was on a different level. Just better in every phase. If A&M hadn't been running multiple dudes at Ayton, Ayton would have made it even more one sided.
prh

Post by prh »

Jefe wrote:Insider anyone?

Very long article, so I'll just grab the stuff we care about. If you want some about Williams let me know. There are some clips in the article, but you might remember based on the reference they make.
What we learned about Ayton:

1. Not enough room to operate

Ayton's 13-point night (7.4 below his season average) was more a product of the lack of space on the floor as opposed to his own shortcomings or Williams' stout defense. Despite standing close to 7-foot-1 and 261 pounds, Ayton functions as more of a 4 at times in Arizona's offense, with Dusan Ristic, Ira Lee or Keanu Pinder operating in the dunker spot. Arizona's guards are still gaining continuity as playmakers, and Ayton isn't always in as advantageous of situations as he'll be put in at the NBA level. Texas A&M's defense swarmed him, and he had little room to operate.

A&M did a nice job of crowding Ayton quite regularly, which could become more of a theme moving forward given Arizona's two-big lineups and its inconsistencies shooting the ball from the perimeter. After scoring 28 points on 23 shots against UNLV, Ayton attempted only nine shots against A&M. Because the opposite big defender doesn't have to defend Lee, Ristic or Pinder outside the paint, they're able to shadow Ayton on the interior.
It will be interesting to see how much Arizona will play Ayton at the 5 next to a small-ball 4 like Rawle Alkins when he returns from injury, as that additional spacing will be much more indicative of the room the Wildcats' freshman will have in the NBA.

Ayton has some vertical spacing capabilities when the floor is open -- as he showed on one fluid roll and finish -- which could be tapped into with NBA spacing and a more creative point guard at the helm.

To his fault, Ayton does prefer to pop and doesn't always set hard screens, which limits his opportunities at the rim:
If he can see more value in rolling hard while playing with shooters, Ayton could be a real asset as a dive man. His face-up, dribble-drive game will also open up if he's given space and driving lanes. He can find more ways to get easy buckets off of sheer activity.

2. Defense is still a work in progress

Although he's playing with more consistent energy than he has in the past, Ayton is still finding himself on the defensive end. He's a plus on the backboards but doesn't have the natural shot-blocking instincts you would hope from a center with his tools:

He's also still working to improve his verticality at the rim. He's simply not all that comfortable going straight up and down inside the circle, which is a big reason he's averaging only 1.7 blocks per 40 minutes with a 7-5 wingspan.

Ayton still has his lapses off the ball defensively as well. Here, he needs to at least help bump the cutter coming off the screen, or give full body help if necessary. He does neither and gives up an open layup off of an underneath out of bounds play, a coach's pet peeve. He's still learning how to play with consistent fire on the defensive end.

A&M interior scorer Tyler Davis did get the best of Ayton on a few occasions as well, with a hard duck in and a drop-step jump hook. Ayton certainly has the physical strength and length to bang with some of the NBA's super-sized bigs like DeMarcus Cousins, but he's still learning the ins and outs of opponents' tendencies and how to use his tools to his advantage.

Ayton also intentionally fouled a 3-point shooter in the act of shooting while up three in the final seconds, which would have sent the game to overtime had Duane Wilson made all three free throws. His defensive decision-making and discipline still have room to improve.

Ayton's size was a factor at times, and he's certainly not a total dud on the defensive end. He did show some activity in spurts and has a decent feel for where to be for a big his age, despite not having the most natural instincts like a Mohamed Bamba. In the play below he does an excellent job of rotating quickly to protect the rim with the game on the line. He forced a kick out to Davis, who traveled putting the ball on the deck, icing the game for Arizona.
You can also clearly see Ayton's defensive potential with the chase-down block at the end of this clip. There aren't many bigs on the planet who can move like he can when fully motivated.

Ayton also added value on the defensive glass thanks to his size and sound pursuit, though he can do a better job of finding a body on the glass. But there simply aren't many bigs with the combination of length, quick-leaping and rebounding instincts of Ayton as a 19-year-old. He's quick to the ball on the glass, which is certainly one of the reasons he's averaging 14.3 rebounds per 40 minutes in nine games.

3. Still finding himself as a scorer

Ayton is still figuring out who he is on the offensive end. That isn't for a lack of talent, as he has almost zero holes given his power, agility, touch and passing ability. With that said, Ayton did struggle to shoot the ball from the perimeter on Tuesday, reverting back to the flat trajectory that plagued him at a younger age. You can see his touch from the free throw line, and he did knock down a face-up jumper, but given how reliant he wants to be on his shot, it's important that he turns that into a more consistent weapon long-term.

Here, Ayton allows Williams to push him out near the 3-point line on a post up, and he eventually turns the ball over, getting stripped on his way to the rim.
Does he want to stretch the floor? Does he want to operate in mid-post situations? How valuable is he as a roller? Ayton has so many skills at his disposal that he's still in the process of finding himself, which is more than okay given his age and talent.

4. Full of offensive upside

Despite a so-so scoring night, Ayton's offensive upside remains clear to NBA scouts. He's the most physically imposing prospect in the draft and super light on his feet both as a runner and in the post. He can space the floor to 3 on occasion, and he's a really adept passer for his age and position. Ayton showed how physically dominant he can be on one play by more or less putting Williams under the rim with a duck-in, pound dribble and drop-step finish. Given his thin lower body it may be some time before Williams can regularly check behemoth bigs like Ayton at the next level.

Ayton's potential as an at-rim finisher was also on display with this explosive uncontested dunk. He's much bouncier when he has time to load up, which will often be the case with the open NBA game.

What stands out even more than the flashes of shooting and occasional power dunks is Ayton's passing ability. Much more sped up in the past, Ayton is doing a better job of letting the game come to him as things slow down. He made a few really impressive passes out of the post against A&M, finding both shooters on the other side of the floor and bigs who made themselves available.

5. Body language, discipline improving

Say what you want about prospects wasting time in the NCAA when they're NBA ready, but the discipline that comes from spending a year at Arizona under Sean Miller has been great for the 7-footer so far. Not immune to on-court outbursts while at Hillcrest Prep, Ayton fought through a grind-it-out game on Tuesday without losing his cool or giving in to adversity, and it was a welcome sign.

Ayton has looked much more lively all season long, and he has shown a passion for the game and winning when he's between the lines -- something some scouts have questioned about him on and off in the past. Ayton's discipline, body language and consistent energy have all improved while at Arizona, which are really encouraging developments if sustained.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

thanks prh!
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Been talking about our spacing issues for a few games now on Scout. Mainly how they impact Trier, Ayton v Ristic on the floor together, Rawle playing at the 4 when he returns. I think its becoming a big problem for Trier, which is why he has been settling for all those threes.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:Been talking about our spacing issues for a few games now on Scout. Mainly how they impact Trier, Ayton v Ristic on the floor together, Rawle playing at the 4 when he returns. I think its becoming a big problem for Trier, which is why he has been settling for all those threes.
Just made that point re: spacing and Trier in the other thread as well.

Clip post your insights here! They're appreciated :D
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

YoDeFoe wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Been talking about our spacing issues for a few games now on Scout. Mainly how they impact Trier, Ayton v Ristic on the floor together, Rawle playing at the 4 when he returns. I think its becoming a big problem for Trier, which is why he has been settling for all those threes.
Just made that point re: spacing and Trier in the other thread as well.

Clip post your insights here! They're appreciated :D
You guys do a pretty good job here without mine lol.

Ill definitely chime in with more of my stuff I post there though.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Not to be unnecessarily hard on Zo, but a lot of that is self imposed. When Ayton and Dusan are together, we need a post-centric offense and Trier has to get his off a kickout. If Trier tries to break down the D when we have both Ayton and Dusan are out there, it's hard. He needs to see that and the offense needs to run through Ayton in the post.

If we put Rawle at the 4, we can play 4 out/1 in easily and that will add driving lanes. A lot of it comes to Zo's willingness to let someone else be the catalyst and get his chances off that.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Not to be unnecessarily hard on Zo, but a lot of that is self imposed. When Ayton and Dusan are together, we need a post-centric offense and Trier has to get his off a kickout. If Trier tries to break down the D when we have both Ayton and Dusan are out there, it's hard. He needs to see that and the offense needs to run through Ayton in the post.

If we put Rawle at the 4, we can play 4 out/1 in easily and that will add driving lanes. A lot of it comes to Zo's willingness to let someone else be the catalyst and get his chances off that.
Sure, I get that about Trier. But, it also doesnt make any sense to me that Miller is fine with Trier just standing on the perimeter waiting for a touch. If I am Miller, I use those two posts, and I am running Trier off pindowns, baseline stagger, flare screens, ANYTHING, to get him moving for a catch. The more Trier moves, the more gravity he draws off Ayton and Ristic. Just doesnt make sense to me.

Not to mention, if the offense is going to run through the post, which I am fine with, then actually allow it to run through the post. Ayton should get a touch on the block, elbow, or wing squared up, every time.

I would absolutely play Rawle at the four, at least for a bit, and run a spread PNR with Rawle as the short roll man. Endless offensive options.

-Shane Battier
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I would absolutely play Rawle at the four, at least for a bit, and run a spread PNR with Rawle as the short roll man. Endless offensive options.
I feel like teams would just switch all PnRs with any of our perimeter players being the picker.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

SunnyAZ wrote:
I feel like teams would just switch all PnRs with any of our perimeter players being the picker.
Thats just as good. If they do that, then I immediately run it back the other direction, anticipating the switch, and have Rawle slip the screen instead. Now you have exactly what I want. Rawle as the short roll man, a shooter in the strong side corner, and Ayton as the dunker. Someone helps off Ayton, Rawle lob to Ayton. Help off the corner, kick out for an open three. Nobody provides help, Rawle gets to the rack.

Not to mention, just fully spreading the floor, Duke/Floria, ect style, and running a spread PNR with Ayton as the dive man.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Sure, I get that about Trier. But, it also doesnt make any sense to me that Miller is fine with Trier just standing on the perimeter waiting for a touch. If I am Miller, I use those two posts, and I am running Trier off pindowns, baseline stagger, flare screens, ANYTHING, to get him moving for a catch. The more Trier moves, the more gravity he draws off Ayton and Ristic. Just doesnt make sense to me.

Not to mention, if the offense is going to run through the post, which I am fine with, then actually allow it to run through the post. Ayton should get a touch on the block, elbow, or wing squared up, every time.

I doubt Miller's fine with Trier standing, but he has to accept certain things. We need a lot of what Trier offers, and that means Miller has to try to coax him into better habits on some things.

I like your Rawle lineup and think it would be a really tough one on opposing D's.

I've never been confident you can truly run a post initated offense when your base is motion. Motion tends to spread the ball and chances based on what perimeter players want. It would take Parker and Zo committing to Ayton to make it work.

That said, we are very productive with Ayton in the post. He skips it so well, is virtually unguardable one on one and has the ability to turn and face too. That's my major beef with Trier. His touches don't produce nearly as much for other players as Ayton, yet he sees the ball so much more. He can knock down 3's or penetrate off a kick, so he can get his off Ayton. I just don't know if it's a realistic possibility.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin wrote:
There could also be changes coming to the Arizona rotation. Ayton currently starts next to Dusan Ristic, another 7-footer who doesn’t protect the rim, and the supersized frontcourt has been getting killed this season. According to the tracking numbers at hooplens.com, the Wildcats are allowing 1.11 points per possession when the two centers play together and 0.98 points per possession when they don’t. A smaller and more athletic lineup around Ayton would ask more of him on defense, and that could be a good thing.

:lol:

Anyway, Ayton is struggling on defense which doesn't make sense. He seems to get lost on assignments and switches a lot
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Some great shots on ArizonaWildcats

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Change nothing Deandre...except maybe your free throw shooting percentage.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:That said, we are very productive with Ayton in the post.
I think there has to be some credit given to the post touches he gets out of motion. Like you said, motion doesn't offer a lot of straight post offense, no two man game unless we run a specific set, but when motion gets the ball to a wing and the big presents, it is generally going to be in a much more advantageous post position than a regular post offense. It comes naturally out of the offensive movement, which increases the chance that the post player is pinning a moving defender as opposed to a straight run to the block and battle set. If the motion takes the ball to the wing, there's been some defensive action that denied penetration off the motion or a handoff/screen that has created a player with the ball on the wing in a more advantageous position to get a good entry pass, along with the post position being gained off the motion. Those post plays are going to have a higher rate of success than a straight post offense, because of the options that have either just been denied, leaving defenders out of position to help, and the threat of different action.

This all is based on the assumption that we don't try to fit flat-angle passes to the post...which we do far too frequently. And I can imagine that comes from DA killing it and pressure to get it to him again. But, even with DA, a poor entry angle pass that is either intercepted or forces him to step off the block, or a forced post pass that sees him catching the ball well off the block, is not a good play and the motion should continue to run to get a better shot. But we can all understand the thinking...FEED THE BIG MAN! You hear it in the crowd, you think it, you can see players trying to force it. But we should never force a post entry off a motion offense, because the better option will present itself by continuing to move.

Where we fail is when the action is brought to a halt by an iso that isn't really there or half-hearted movement off ball. Early on, the motion was also stunted by a lack of full motion by the freshmen/Zo coming to the ball rather than allowing every player their space to operate in the offense. That hasn't been happening as much, either.

I think some fans want the best of both worlds...they expect a motion offense with fluid movement and open shots and penetration AND the action that running a post offense or specific sets gives. And the first coach that devises a way to get the best of post offense, 2 man games, full sets and motion all at the same time will win every title. There are aspects of all of those available off motion, but you have to come out of it to just pound the post with the NBA version of a low post game (which is almost gone in the NBA, anyway...the opportunities in the post, as they happen now, are generally off pins when a big gets a defender chasing and gets to the block off more fluid movement). And that kind of dribble to the wing and angle entry to the post spacing just doesn't exist in the college game.

All of that said...I would like to see Ayton continue to develop as a passer to the point where we could, when available, run some quick 2 man post/re-post action. Salim and Channing used to run that as well as I have seen here...the entry from the angle to the high portion of the block, Salim resetting in the corner after the pass, Channing either having something, or kicking back to Salim in the corner and reposting deep on the low block, either the defender on Salim doubles the block or covers Salim, and we take the choice given... I could see that kind of opportunity with Trier and Ayton
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote: All of that said...I would like to see Ayton continue to develop as a passer to the point where we could, when available, run some quick 2 man post/re-post action. Salim and Channing used to run that as well as I have seen here...the entry from the angle to the high portion of the block, Salim resetting in the corner after the pass, Channing either having something, or kicking back to Salim in the corner and reposting deep on the low block, either the defender on Salim doubles the block or covers Salim, and we take the choice given... I could see that kind of opportunity with Trier and Ayton
I think we've seen the beginnings of that with Ayton kicking post passes back out to Randolph for the open three. Would love to see Ayton take a little extra time and get the pass right to the shooter's pocket (he's got a habit of launching his passes) and would equally love to see Trier as the recipient (though he garners so much attention it's more likely there'd simply be three men on the two of them).
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:
I hope when he says "superstar" he means "defensive superstar."
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

rgdeuce wrote:I hope when he says "superstar" he means "defensive superstar."
He's talking about NBA superstar. The article talks a lot about what can be projected from the NCAAs to the NBA and the usefulness of looking at block rate as a defensive stat for big men.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... basketball" target="_blank

Deandre Ayton, Arizona Wildcats

Find a replay of Saturday's game. Ayton scored 29 points and grabbed 18 rebounds against Alabama in the most dominant performance of his career so far. He's 7-foot-1 and 250 pounds of muscle. He's explosive with excellent timing and offensive instincts.

His tip-dunk with his left hand in the first half of Saturday's game was stunning. We haven't witnessed a rising big man with this power since a young Dwight Howard was tearing rims down in Orlando a decade ago. But Howard didn't have Ayton's versatility then. With the game on the line, Ayton hit a pair of 15-footers to seal the win Saturday. He's the greatest force in college basketball right now.

"His ability as a player, in my mind, is unmatched," Miller said. "He's so skilled and yet so big and athletic. Usually, there is one or the other. He has both."

Mock Drafts

NBADraft.net #1 12/8
SI #1 12/11
NBA Draft Room #2 12/4
Bleach Report #2 12/7
BBall Insiders #3 12/13
Draft Express is now ESPN Insider?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ayton rolling into those two late jumpers was a thing of beauty. There are very few 7 footers that can roll, collect and go up with perfect balance, let alone do it flawlessly twice in a row.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ayton rolling into those two late jumpers was a thing of beauty. There are very few 7 footers that can roll, collect and go up with perfect balance, let alone do it flawlessly twice in a row.
True. It's Duncan-esque. But Ayton is waaaay more athletic than Duncan. There are times when Ayton reminds me of KG, other times when he's more Olajuwon. Bottom line: this kid has a very bright future. He can be an All-Star at the next level if he keeps improving.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ayton rolling into those two late jumpers was a thing of beauty. There are very few 7 footers that can roll, collect and go up with perfect balance, let alone do it flawlessly twice in a row.
True. It's Duncan-esque. But Ayton is waaaay more athletic than Duncan. There are times when Ayton reminds me of KG, other times when he's more Olajuwon. Bottom line: this kid has a very bright future. He can be an All-Star at the next level if he keeps improving.
Haven't seen anything that makes me think Olajuwon. Maybe tiny flashes on defense, but on offense Ayton is much more comfortable facing up. The dream is on a planet all by himself on the low block. KG also a miss I'd say just because he doesn't yet have the internal fire that defined him. I don't remember what those guys were like in college though. David Robinson seems like the closest thing to me, but as I recall he developed his jumper a bit later.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

In 1975, Bob Elliott had 38 points and 25 boards against ASSU. I think that is the single greatest game ever played by a cat. Hoping Ayton can duplicate that against the scum
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

threenumberones wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Haven't seen anything that makes me think Olajuwon. Maybe tiny flashes on defense, but on offense Ayton is much more comfortable facing up. The dream is on a planet all by himself on the low block. KG also a miss I'd say just because he doesn't yet have the internal fire that defined him. I don't remember what those guys were like in college though. David Robinson seems like the closest thing to me, but as I recall he developed his jumper a bit later.
Here's where I see KG: they're both legit 7-footers with unbelievable mobility and athleticism. Both are also comfortable handling the ball and can attack off the dribble. It's true, Ayton doesn't yet have the sort of low-post arsenal that defined Olajuwon, but I wonder if he can't get there with some good coaching. Was Olajuwon dominant on the low-block at 18 years old?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

threenumberones wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
People remember older Olajuwon more, but college Hakeem may have been even more raw in the post than Ayton. The Dream Shake we all remember developed in the late 80's and early 90's. When he first entered the NBA, Hakeem's low post game was still growing.