2024-25 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Fishclamps

Re: 2024-25 Arizona Basketball

Post by Fishclamps »

TheCat wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:04 am
Fishclamps wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:59 pm
84Cat wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:22 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:17 pm I am most disappointed that Phillips wont be here. You can call him the 50th player in the country but I saw him shoot and he was as close to Salim as I have seen that committed to Arizona.
Yeah I wanted to see him in an Arizona uniform to. I think he'll end up being pretty good. I'm not sure what happened but if some podcaster/blogger ran him away, that's pretty fucked up
Seems like it really just came down to he was gonna end up having to redshirt his freshman season here.
We will never know but I think you are way off base. This guy is the scorer we always have needed and plays defense. He would be pushing to start by year-end. There is no way he would redshirt anywhere.
I mean if you listen to Scheer's podcast from last night he basically just says there weren't gonna be any minutes for him next year after they brought in Dell'Orso, and the staff is way higher on Dell'Orso than Phillips.
Winger

Post by Winger »

pc in NM wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:22 am
Winger wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:28 am

Yeah I wanted to see him in an Arizona uniform to. I think he'll end up being pretty good. I'm not sure what happened but if some podcaster/blogger ran him away, that's pretty fucked up
Seems like it really just came down to he was gonna end up having to redshirt his freshman season here.
We will never know but I think you are way off base. This guy is the scorer we always have needed and plays defense. He would be pushing to start by year-end. There is no way he would redshirt anywhere.
In taking Love over Phillips Lloyd has indirectly expressed concern over where the points are going to come from next season imo.

He prioritized a player with max 1 season left over a “top 50” recruit and that player, while better at Arizona than UNC, was not terribly efficient and was frankly horrible the last 6 or so games of the season. Historical data shows that players’ improvement in outside shooting decreases from year to year, every year, and Love has never been a very good shooter. Lloyd’s offense has never been one to rein in players and Love is high volume in addition to not being highly efficient. I can’t predict the future but the most likely outcome is you’re going to see basically the same Caleb Love you saw last season. Maybe he gets a little more action at the point and maybe Lloyd is able to continue the push to have him drive more and settle less but it is highly unlikely he is going to morph into a Steve Kerr.

Lloyd is a supremely confident college basketball coach but he appears to me to be concerned about where the points were going to come from without Love.

In a way I am not surprised he took him back (needed the points, not a hard ass, loves and believes he can develop everyone) but in another way I am.

TBD
IMNSHO, the strongest appearance is that Phillips does not believe he could effectively compete for PT with Love back on the team.

If so, he's probably correct, and, made the right choice to look elsewhere. And, if so, that's the best choice for Arizona, also.
Chances iyo that Lloyd took back Love without knowing that would mean no Phillips?

Meaning: Lloyd chose one over the other (that is what my post was getting at).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’ll take senior Love over freshman Phillips.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If Luke got in a twitter fight with a parent he and PHNX need to get all their credentials removed immediately
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm glad he's back too, someone needs to put the ball in the basket. But tend to think like Winger, he is just going to lead us to heartbreak again.

Overall, Love was a 50% 2PT and 33% 3PT shooter last season. Look how much better he does with catch and shoot, and taking the ball to the hole. I like the old Lute rule, 2 passes before any 3 point shot.

How many of Love's 0-9 3PT attempts v. Clemson were on ball, and how many were catch and shoot?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... n-chicago/

Love is fresh off the most efficient offensive season of his career. Love shot a shade under 60% at the rim at Arizona, by far the best of his four-year collegiate career. Love never topped 50% at the rim during his first three seasons at UNC. He expanded his effectiveness in pick-and-rolls, lowered his turnover rate, shot 40% on catch-and-shoot 3-pointers and was a piece of Arizona's top-10 defense. Love's 5-for-18 shooting performance in Arizona's 77-72 loss to Clemson in the Sweet 16 sticks out like a sore thumb, but it shouldn't dissuade some of the progress Love showed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:42 am If Luke got in a twitter fight with a parent he and PHNX need to get all their credentials removed immediately
That would be a problematic response on a whole host of levels but sure. Get your panties all bunched up your butthole.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

It seems Phillips was gone once we took Dell'Orso, he lost that first off the bench spot.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As our roster is getting clearer, I’m starting to think 3rd in the Big 12 is likely this team’s ceiling in 2024-25. Anything better than that and Tommy needs another raise.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

There’s gonna be an adjustment period.

At least, I assume there will be.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:54 am
TheCat wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:17 pm I am most disappointed that Phillips wont be here. You can call him the 50th player in the country but I saw him shoot and he was as close to Salim as I have seen that committed to Arizona.
I mean if you listen to Scheer's podcast from last night he basically just says there weren't gonna be any minutes for him next year after they brought in Dell'Orso, and the staff is way higher on Dell'Orso than Phillips.
Not sure Scheer knows what he is taking about since neither have been in Arizona's offense. I guarantee you he would have gotten minutes. Think KJ build but with a good/great shot.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

That's not the argument, the argument was his camp felt he shouldn't have to compete for that first bench spot. The problem is Tommy is super high on Dell'Orso, so he wasn't just gonna guarantee a freshman those minutes.

He's also had a bad season so far this year so his stock has kinda dropped.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But can Dell'Orso defend the quicker and stronger B12 guards?

Read elsewhere he is a little slow of foot, but have not seen him play.

Good take on his offense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNnpBW1g08o
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Oh I know absolutely nothing about him other than he's a shooter and Tommy really really wanted him.

Edit: I should add losing Phillips definitely bummed me out, and I hope he does well at USC. I think he has the potential but he was always gonna be a little bit of a project player.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 2:20 pm That's not the argument, the argument was his camp felt he shouldn't have to compete for that first bench spot. The problem is Tommy is super high on Dell'Orso, so he wasn't just gonna guarantee a freshman those minutes.
If it's all about D'O why did Phillips wait until shortly after Love announced his return to decommit?

As a side bar, I am surprised that a player like D'O would chase Phillips off.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I would guess that one of Dell'Orso/Love coming back not that big a deal, but with both being here it cuts the available minutes drastically.
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

Boy ASU put up quite a class
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Abrahamarvel wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:39 pm Boy ASU put up quite a class
Just going to make the Netflix documentary that much more hilarious to watch when they fail to live up to expectations.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I'm not nearly as high on Dell'Orso as the apparent word coming out of the program. Hes more skilled than Bal, and a n actual fit at G compared to Boro.

I would not be relying on him to cover all our minutes though. Huge step up in competition, he isn't a good defender, and he's not exactly quick or athletic. I need to see him play in Tucson before I have a firm take, but I'm not sold what I saw at Campbell translates fully.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Didn’t we have someone else from Campbell?

I thought Phillips was supposed to be the best shooter since Blavender. AZ really needs people that can shoot.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Postmaster wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 5:23 pm Didn’t we have someone else from Campbell?

I thought Phillips was supposed to be the best shooter since Blavender. AZ really needs people that can shoot.
Thats why they got Dell'Orso.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 5:23 pm Didn’t we have someone else from Campbell?

Cedric Henderson back in 23-24.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Can Phillips shoot? Yes. He also shot way the hell too much. He was a bit of a chucker and he also hasn't played organized basketball in a year to off the court issues and hasn't looked up to snuff since he's finally gotten back on the court. Phillips wasn't going to play next year and his camp didn't want to deal with a redshirt year. It is what it is.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 2:20 pm That's not the argument, the argument was his camp felt he shouldn't have to compete for that first bench spot. The problem is Tommy is super high on Dell'Orso, so he wasn't just gonna guarantee a freshman those minutes.

My contention is no one had to guarantee him anything. He was going to play because of ability. I don't know anything about Dell'Orso so maybe what you say is true but that means we got a great team coming.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:11 am

My contention is no one had to guarantee him anything. He was going to play because of ability. I don't know anything about Dell'Orso so maybe what you say is true but that means we got a great team coming.
If one believes that they are "Arizona Good", they will not be deterred from a commitment because of concerns over playing time.

Arizona fans should only desire athletes who believe that they are "Arizona Good".

"Arizona Good" earns PT, and does not require a "free pass" to PT.

That's all there is to say.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

This is why I have a love hate relationship with “recruiting “. You get excited about incoming talent and then they leave or can’t make the jump.

I remember one year there was so much hype that Lute was bringing in a stud at each position. This was first year I started hearing about recruiting. We were getting a sharpshooter named Joe McLean.

Dell’Orso is too long of a name to have an apostrophe in the middle.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:26 am

Can Phillips shoot? Yes. He also shot way the hell too much. He was a bit of a chucker and he also hasn't played organized basketball in a year to off the court issues and hasn't looked up to snuff since he's finally gotten back on the court. Phillips wasn't going to play next year and his camp didn't want to deal with a redshirt year. It is what it is.
There you go everyone, Choo said exactly what I said except he's more plugged in so maybe you'll all finally believe it and this can be settled.

I hope the kid does well and proves us all wrong, and I wish he would have stayed, but it just wasn't meant to be.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gross

What the hell is the footprint center?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:22 pm Gross

The new name for the Suns arena.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:22 pm Gross

Hahahaha
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

84Cat wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:04 pm
A group of boosters should buy the tickets behind the basket next to UCLA's bench, give them to the Zona Zoo, charter a bus, and send them to the game, just so we can watch Baldy's head explode.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Do we know if everyone is on campus yet?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Because it's the off season