Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Lando05

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Lando05 »

Great stuff today. This is still by far the premier message board for U of A athletics. Not a better collection of die hards.

Newport if I can help in any way get you there count me too Always appreciate your contributions and insight.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

pc in NM wrote: I accept your clarification, and see that I misinterpreted you as supporting the “everybody does it” meme....

Thanks for the response!
It’s all good banter, thanks for the challenge and pushing me to clarify!

Bear down PC.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Shut down college basketball
“It’s a corrupt space as it is and cheating is cheating,” Code is quoted as saying in the transcript. “Whether I give you a dollar, 100,000, or I get your mom and dad jobs, it’s cheating. … So in some form or fashion, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky and all of the schools are doing something to help get kids. That’s just a part of the space.”
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:Shut down college basketball
“It’s a corrupt space as it is and cheating is cheating,” Code is quoted as saying in the transcript. “Whether I give you a dollar, 100,000, or I get your mom and dad jobs, it’s cheating. … So in some form or fashion, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky and all of the schools are doing something to help get kids. That’s just a part of the space.”
You talk about the "no ****, Sherlock" proposition of the century.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I hope a 1000 Arizona fans are tweeting to Dukie V
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:I hope a 1000 Arizona fans are tweeting to Dukie V
He won't care. The news about Zion Williamson's family asking for jobs and a house already broke, and Dickie V's response was "HE'S A DIAPER DANDY, BABY!"
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:Shut down college basketball
You talk about the "no ****, Sherlock" proposition of the century.
Yep, every program is dirty. We just got sloppy with how we conducted business and of course Book taking money under the table from Agents to steer players to them which is a criminal offense.

Keep in mind though, these schools/athletic departments get paid Millions by these shoe companies. So our athletic program gets money and a ton of free stuff from Nike to wear their product. And Nike wants a return on that investment which means they want to sign our kids after the fact. So they have a vested interested in seeing them go to Nike schools.

Its no surprise the whole thing is dirty because it is not really dirty. It is people conducting normal business but with fucked up rules that make no sense.

Again, Nike wants to give Deandre Ayton $150,000 while he is in school, as long as he pays taxes where is the issue. Oh but he needs to be an "Amateur"....that made sense in the 1940's but it just does not anymore. Way too much money in these sports. Miller makes $4M a year. President of NCAA makes $2.4M a year.

Its all so stupid but again we put ourselves in this position in many ways from getting sloppy unlike Kentucky, Duke, etc.

And Coach Self, jesus, how dumb are you to text that stuff.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Lando05 wrote:Great stuff today. This is still by far the premier message board for U of A athletics. Not a better collection of die hards.

Newport if I can help in any way get you there count me too Always appreciate your contributions and insight.
Thank you, I know I might be harsh sometimes with my views but I am always focused on figuring out how the sausage is made. I find in this world there is the way people think things get done, and the actual reason why and how they get done. I think I have a good handle on Arizona athletics and college sports so now its about getting the money together to buy my position at the table to help control shit. I do not do it for Ego but because I generally think I can make a positive difference by being objective and focused on whats best for Arizona athletics. I have long felt people like Dave Heeke really do not think this way, they are looking out for themselves. Greg Byrne was a perfect example of that...oh shit its bad...Hello Alabama, Roll Tide!

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Wtf
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

rgdeuce wrote:Wtf
Not a fan of Brian De Palma?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Yahoo sports once again showing how they are so on top of the narrative.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

im fatigued
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

They just can't let the story die. It leads to tons of clicks.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can’t wait for Vitale to demand Arizona fire CSM and hire Pitino immediately.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sure will be interesting if he does plead the 5th. Lying under oath can lead to jail or prison time.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I highly doubt he ever ends up taking the stand. Either way per Scheer Miller's role on the stand would be as an "expert witness" on how the business of college basketball is ran. So yeah I wouldn't expect any big bombs here. Yahoo needs web hits dammit. ESPN story will be coming soon I'm sure.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:I highly doubt he ever ends up taking the stand. Either way per Scheer Miller's role on the stand would be as an "expert witness" on how the business of college basketball is ran. So yeah I wouldn't expect any big bombs here. Yahoo needs web hits dammit. ESPN story will be coming soon I'm sure.
This. Anyone can be subpoenaed. It's completely another thing as to whether he testifies.

Dawkins already went hard at trying to spread the mud out in trial #1.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Choo/Spiff,

Are you saying that Miller will probably not be subpoenaed?

Not a lawyer, but my understand if you are subpoenaed, you can be forced to testify unless you are the defendant, which does have 5A rights. If you are a witness, and don't testify, you can be held in contempt of court.

If Miller is an expert witness, no subpoena may be necessary, although he can bill for his time.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Choo/Spiff,

Not a lawyer, but my understand if you are subpoenaed, you can be forced to testify unless you are the defendant, which does have 5A rights. If you are a witness, and don't testify, you can be held in contempt of court.
The defense is trying to subpoena him and a few other coaches. Just like in the first trial I don't think the judge will go for it. He's being subpoenaed not as a witness, but as an expert in the business of college basketball. There's a reason the defense wants Miller, because the defense with the help of Schlabach has painted him as the most dirty head coach out there publicly.

The source of Schlabach's story and the source of these Yahoo stories are the same fucking guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If Miller is an expert witness, no subpoena may be necessary, although he can bill for his time.
Anyone can be subpoenaed. A subpoena is just legal process to attend, not a guarantee that the subpoenaed person has information to add that would comport with rules of evidence or be otherwise admissible.

The prosecution can ask to limit irrelevant mudslinging, which they did in trial #1. They (or the party being subpoenaed) could ask to quash the subpoena on similar grounds. Sure, not showing up is bad, but there's a lot short of that.

The idea this trial is about "how business is done" was rejected at the first trial. Dawkins wants to make it about that because he can't claim he was clean, so he might as well claim everyone else was dirty. As Choo says, I wonder who the source of this article is?

Long story short, a subpoena just means Dawkins's attorney may intend to call Miller as a witness, not that Miller has any info that is relevant or admissible, and not that Miller is "in trouble." Just don't calling this legal advice or I might have to try to charge you for it. Just my thoughts.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:

The defense is trying to subpoena him and a few other coaches. Just like in the first trial I don't think the judge will go for it. He's being subpoenaed not as a witness, but as an expert in the business of college basketball. There's a reason the defense wants Miller, because the defense with the help of Schlabach has painted him as the most dirty head coach out there publicly.

The source of Schlabach's story and the source of these Yahoo stories are the same fucking guy.
Choo, I am seeing on twitter that Miller cannot be subpoenaed as an expert because he is on wire tap with Dawkins. Do you know anything about this?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Choo, I am seeing on twitter that Miller cannot be subpoenaed as an expert because he is on wire tap with Dawkins. Do you know anything about this?
Would be interesting what else the defense would subpoena him for then if not as an expert regarding how business is ran in college basketball.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Due to this latest yahoo story, Heeke is going to put Wilbur on probation.

Because, you know, Miller.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Due to this latest yahoo story, Heeke is going to put Wilbur on probation.

Because, you know, Miller.
I wouldnt be so sure about that CST.......
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Until see a reason to think otherwise, my vision of beancounter mid major AD Heeke when bad press hits is him holed up in his office failing his arms with some half baked plan to box in miller.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Until see a reason to think otherwise, my vision of beancounter mid major AD Heeke when bad press hits is him holed up in his office failing his arms with some half baked plan to box in miller.
Just imagine him in sound proof box where he has no communication with the outside world. That would more correctly depict Heeke's current situation.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Until see a reason to think otherwise, my vision of beancounter mid major AD Heeke when bad press hits is him holed up in his office failing his arms with some half baked plan to box in miller.
Just imagine him in sound proof box where he has no communication with the outside world. That would more correctly depict Heeke's current situation.
bing bong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Good.

Let the big boys run things.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
That has got to give CSM some solace and probably a little satisfaction.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Hopefully no real power along with the no real communication to the outside world.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone should tell Heeke what happened when Livengood tried to take on Lute, and how that worked out for Jim.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller = Revenue generator

Heeke = sunk cost (but adds value? Debatable at this point)

Doesn’t take a econ major to figure out where the current state of power lies.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Can you serve a subpoena to someone with poena' allergies? Asking for my child's day care staff and Pete Thamel.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Really interesting how Kansas, Louisville and Miami had bigger issues in the FBI cases so far but who is being asked to testify? Coaches from Arizona and LSU? Hmm who is the shoe company for Arizona and LSU? Who is the shoe company for the other schools? I am sure the judge will notice that
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

"A female employee can be seen on the video manipulating his genitals and later wiping Kraft's genitals with a towel, according to the affidavit."

What's worse? A subpoena? An affidavit? Or drying your hands on Robert Kraft's towel without knowing any better? And would you amputate your hands or just stick them in a fire?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Did she wear a glove though?

Trump made his ladies wear a glove when they gave him hand jobs.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Kraft went into the spa the morning of the Kansas City game which begs the question

Why do NE patriots always want their balls deflated before a big game
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:"A female employee can be seen on the video manipulating his genitals and later wiping Kraft's genitals with a towel, according to the affidavit."

What's worse? A subpoena? An affidavit? Or drying your hands on Robert Kraft's towel without knowing any better? And would you amputate your hands or just stick them in a fire?
Whatever police officer had to review that video deserves hazard pay.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

really strange to have to subpoena an expert. Sounds like ESPN, I mean Dawkins, is just trying to muddy the waters.
I just hope Herman Munster keeps everyone in line.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Heeke sits in section 14, row 13, in case you guys want to say hello.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am listening to a radio show right now with someone who says they talked to Steve Haney (Dawkins' lawyer) many times and how Haney will bring down the dirty coaches and will prove how Dawkins is innocent. Reminder this is the bribery trial not the fraud one earlier.

If Dawkins is trying to prove he is innocent, how does have Miller testify in any way help out Dawkins? The FBI did not charge Miller so obviously Miller did not commit bribery in their eyes. That just makes zero sense to me. IF Dawkins is right and Miller is a cheat, how does him taking the stand saying he paid for players help Dawkins prove his innocence?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:I am listening to a radio show right now with someone who says they talked to Steve Haney (Dawkins' lawyer) many times and how Haney will bring down the dirty coaches and will prove how Dawkins is innocent. Reminder this is the bribery trial not the fraud one earlier.

If Dawkins is trying to prove he is innocent, how does have Miller testify in any way help out Dawkins? The FBI did not charge Miller so obviously Miller did not commit bribery in their eyes. That just makes zero sense to me. IF Dawkins is right and Miller is a cheat, how does him taking the stand saying he paid for players help Dawkins prove his innocence?
That's why the judge shut down this in trial #1. Fraud or bribery, it isn't a defense that a lot of people do it. People being willing to assist you in breaking the law does not mean you're not guilty. A lot of people committing the crime also does not negate guilt.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I am listening to a radio show right now with someone who says they talked to Steve Haney (Dawkins' lawyer) many times and how Haney will bring down the dirty coaches and will prove how Dawkins is innocent. Reminder this is the bribery trial not the fraud one earlier.

That's why the judge shut down this in trial #1. Fraud or bribery, it isn't a defense that a lot of people do it. People being willing to assist you in breaking the law does not mean you're not guilty. A lot of people committing the crime also does not negate guilt.
Which is why the odds of Miller ever having to testify is slim to none.

Also Haney talks to every body multiple times, Haney loves him some Haney and for whatever reason hates him some Sean Miller.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Thanks. That's what I am thinking. I just dont see any way how Dawkins can say he is innocent but Miller is guilty. Would he say he just facilitated things? That means he was involved so he is not innocent. Just doesnt make any sense at all. And only targeting Nike coaches and not any Adidas coaches should be a huge red flag for the judge and Miller's lawyers as well
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:lol:

Giving the Lute treatment!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Which is why the odds of Miller ever having to testify is slim to none.

Also Haney talks to every body multiple times, Haney loves him some Haney and for whatever reason hates him some Sean Miller.
It's why subpoena-ing someone is very different from a true indicator the trial will result in them giving impactful testimony.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Thanks. That's what I am thinking. I just dont see any way how Dawkins can say he is innocent but Miller is guilty. Would he say he just facilitated things? That means he was involved so he is not innocent. Just doesnt make any sense at all. And only targeting Nike coaches and not any Adidas coaches should be a huge red flag for the judge and Miller's lawyers as well
It targets Nike coaches because Adidas coaches would help the government prove his guilt. Adidas coaches would convict Dawkins. Nike coaches let him argue Nike did it too, thus it isn't as bad.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

He wants to garner sympathy from the judge as a small piece to a much larger puzzle that includes head coaches raking in $4M a year like Miller. How can you throw the book at one guy when all these high-profile coaches get off scot free?

Late April is shaping up to be a great time for UofA Athletics. To have our $4M flagship head coach grilled on the stand in federal court as all his wiretaps get entered into evidence will be such a good look for the university.

Heeke hasn't and won't fire Miller until the dirty laundry is aired in April. Then UA can fire him for cause and not owe on that ridiculous contract that they kept extending over and over.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:

He wants to garner sympathy from the judge as a small piece to a much larger puzzle that includes head coaches raking in $4M a year like Miller. How can you throw the book at one guy when all these high-profile coaches get off scot free?

Late April is shaping up to be a great time for UofA Athletics. To have our $4M flagship head coach grilled on the stand in federal court as all his wiretaps get entered into evidence will be such a good look for the university.

Heeke hasn't and won't fire Miller until the dirty laundry is aired in April. Then UA can fire him for cause and not owe on that ridiculous contract that they kept extending over and over.
This is adorable.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?