What a great game for this team

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Lofty

Re: What a great game for this team

Post by Lofty »

Reydituto wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Yeah, especially if we get SDSU again. Listening to that Utah game was brutal, I can only imagine what it looked like...
Not pretty. Angelo did make a couple Utes pay the Chol Toll. Bill Walton and Dave Pasch were in mid-season form. But yeah, brutal game to watch.
NYCat wrote:Well you guys have the equivalent of the far left side opinions & takes covered, I'll take the right. Left being the Brady Hoke ways of seeing things, which was thinking Michigan could still win the NC after 3 loses, also clapping as hard as he can even when the Qb just threw another pick. Right being the Nick Saban/Rich Rod way - tough, hard, critical not because you hate them but because you want better from them. The truth isn't always on the left or the right, always somewhere in the middle, so just some contrasting opinions.

Slow starts and games will happen but the team will win making everyone forget. Very similar to the last couple of years.

Just like last year the team had a good offensive performance to ease my doubt's. Now that I think about it objectively, Theus' scheme allowed the team to run and play a more fast paced game where the offense excelled.

I understand its hard to pay attention to the problems when you're winning, even more so when you mainly look at the final score + stats. Especially when a lot of you choose to only look at the end result/destination instead of the journey. ...
I stopped reading here. To this point it was the most arrogant, obnoxious, self-aggrandizing and patronizing post I've read on the boards in a long time. No reason to read further, your opinion of UA's offense clearly forecast in the fit of pique above, and what remained was surely a premature ejaculation of overwrought and underthought musings poorly informed by too small a sample and reinforced by a lazy reliance on past performance, which as we all know but sometimes forget, does not guarantee future results.

(Did I see correctly that you cited in-game threads as "support" for your take? The pinnacle of no-filter, heat-of-the-moment, lack of forethought, straight-from-your-brain-to-the keyboard-hit-enter-no-pause displays of unrestrained id which form a cesspool of irrational postings digitally enshrined for all to see? Those threads? Please. If anything, doing so completely undercuts any and all coherent points you attempt to convey. Next time, cite wikipedia or call Miss Cleo, you'll have more credible support for your arguments then.)

All I will say in regards to the offense THIS SEASON, is 1.) it's a work in progress - The issue so far isn't talent, ability, or scheme, it's consistency and coherence, which will improve over time - which 2.) after 3 games, has already shown flashes of real potential. While I believe this team won't hit its offensive stride until conference play, it will become more efficient and productive by season's end than last year, and that some patience in the interim will be rewarded.

Heck, the CSN game you referred to as a "good offensive performance" wasn't even all that good - FG%s and point total aside, way too many turnovers even with the high tempo, guards were completely ineffective in feeding the post, too many empty possessions and missed too many FTs - so I'm not even convinced you'd know a good offensive performance anyway unless it sat on your face and wiggled.

Of course, you have no appreciation for Sharon Stone, so it's no wonder that any offense that is less than the equivalent of a "wham-bam-thank-you-maam" quickie does not impress you ...
dcZONAfan wrote:Stopped reading at "I'll take the right"
Should have followed your cue ...
gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:So reestablish means both feet? He had one foot back in and the other in the air when he touched the ball. Anyway, nice effort.
I thought his first foot hadn't come down in bounds yet before he touched the ball, but I could be wrong about that. Would have to watch a replay to be certain.
I rolled it back and watched last night. But then I deleted the game. Pretty sure he pushed the ball ahead, stepped on the line with one foot, stepped back in with one foot (with the other off the ground) and touched the ball.

Maybe someone else can rewatch to confirm. But if it's both feet, this is moot. Definitely didn't do that.
That's exactly what I saw too, and while I'm not sure on the rule, I thought as long as you don't touch the ball while you're OOB, you're OK, but I could be wrong. My understanding was that it's different than football, and you don't have to "reestablish" yourself in bounds.

Either way, the officiating - both last night, and the prior two games - has been in preseason form. Which is to say, terrible. They are making a ton of anticipation calls, and a ton of "aftermath" reaction calls, but they aren't really calling what actually happened. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that a karate kick to the back of the head isn't a foul, but anything less than a static arms-up statue on defense is ...

Did Reggie Theus coach the Anteaters too?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

A gentle, respectful contribution to our slow start/ no-offense-whatsoever discussion:

11-16-14 Halftime: Buffalo 38 UK 35. Final: UK 71 Buffalo 52

11-18-14 Halftime: Utah 18 SDSU 17. Final: SDSU 53 Utah 49
Last edited by EOCT on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EOCT wrote:A gentle, respectful contribution to our slow start/ no-offense-whatsoever discussion:

11-16-14 Halftime: Buffalo 38 UK 38. Final: UK 71 Buffalo 52

11-18-14 Halftime: Utah 18 SDSU 17. Final: SDSU 53 Utah 49
UL Monroe - 29
Florida - 17

Seems like an epidemic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Fairly sure we have complained about lack of separation in close second halves following big first halves. . . we are fans. We WILL complain.
NYCat

Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence

Post by NYCat »

Those good finishes to close the game won't happen vs the better teams. In fact there might have been a game last year vs a cheese state that was good result of this. When you can put them away early or pull ahead late, it gives teams the ability to stay in the game and keep it close. Thus giving the opposition far too many opportunities to beat you.

That's the blunt truth, its always a threat to happen and it shouldn't be.

Think most of you would agree with me if I wasn't so blunt and brutally honest. Maybe a lighter touch? Probably the presentation that leaves something to be desired.

After all this the basketball program which no one ever is OK being criticized, but the football program always is. I (and others) have said worst bluntly honest things there but no one seems to care or get the hive going. I always noticed its the bball program that people take it way too personal, and get really defensive. If we can praise Miller for his defense, rebounding, recruiting we should be able to criticize his offense. Which is his weakness, it's not like its anything new or an unknown.

Most of you don't like hearing any criticisms even if its valid.

A lot of you are just like right wing conservatives who only turn to Fox News as their news choice. Which just reaffirms your original thoughts, not willing to hear anything that contradicts your own views.

This is the only place I've ever read (heard) that can't even acknowledge there's a problem till it passes. Next thing all of you will say is that free throws aren't a problem?

Guess a lot of you choose to live in a bubble, the likes of Ohio St fans living in Columbus, Bama fans in Tuscaloosa, Kentucky fans, and so on.

Reading only the good things people have to say gives you a warped view of reality. I like reading negatives + the positives that are always being said. When you choose to only read the good, you just have a severe case of confirmation bias. Most of you choose to only read/pay attention to whatever supports you're preconceived notion/stance/opinion. Then get mad when someone doesn't like "your" team, why do you want respect from people you don't respect in the first place Everything else that's not a flat out praise the likes the Jong Un's see in N. Korea, is automatically labeled as a troll, hater, etc

A lot of us also joke that the media, ESPN, PAC 12 (and refs), hates us, but an unfortunate amount legitimately believes it. Fact: you can go to any and every fan base in the nation (college + pro) and find that fans of those teams feel the same. How can they all hate everyone at the same time?

The overt homerism get arduous eventually. Especially when everyone says the same thing in hundreds of different variations while virtually saying the same thing. Doesn't that become and dare I say ..... an echo chamber question mark?

Like I said before: I never got why most of you hated & criticized Machina for his regulating, when most of you are guilty of habitual regulating, minus the self awareness.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Of course we would all love if AZ blew everyone out. Miller's doing his thing and we're seeing great results, and I believe he's learning and becoming a better coach each year he's coaching here. What else can you ask for realistically? This isn't college ball of 15-20 years ago, alot of small schools have pretty decent players now that can hang much better with the big boys. If you look all across the country (and like the 3-4 posts right before yours for evidence) every single high-ranked team at some point is struggling to pull away from what you probably categorize as a cupcake. It's not that your criticism isn't noticed or valid, it just comes across as kind of spoiled or excessive...especially so early in the season. Like, we have it pretty fuckin good yet it's not enough for you. These are young adults playing basketball man, we're gonna have some stellar games and some sub-par games shooting the ball and regardless I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of watching. Some things are better left unanalyzed, enjoy yourself. Don't let the dark cloud of tournament near-misses to the Final 4 make you a pessimist.
Chicat

Re: Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence

Post by Chicat »

NYCat, I made the decision to skim your diatribes on the basketball team because, frankly, I find them to be self-aggrandizing crap setting yourself up as the only one amongst us willing to speak truth to power. When in reality you're just beating a dead unicorn.

But a couple of things did stand out to me as I flicked past your repetitive post:
NYCat wrote:Those good finishes to close the game won't happen vs the better teams.
And you know this definitively . . . how exactly? Oh right.... Because Arizona lost to Wisconsin. Maybe you should try living in the present.
NYCat wrote:The overt homerism get arduous eventually.
Oh you poor thing! Would that be the overt homerism of everyone questioning why RHJ doesn't start, why PJC didn't get more crunch time run, why York is starting, why Pitts isn't playing more, why the offense doesn't run through Ashley, and why Stanley hasn't bought in yet? Yeah, I can see how that kind of question-nothing attitude would grate on a truth-seeker such as yourself. How do you even deal with us?

I do have a solution for you though. A place to get away from the rampant homerism that has infected these boards like a virus. It's a really nice message board where there is absolutely no possibility of an echo chamber. It's called GoAZCats. Heard of it? Unfortunately though, in space no one can hear you scream about how eventually this team will probably lose a game. But at least you won't have to be the only one who amongst the multitude who knows the truth. You'll just be the only one... ;)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

NYCat wrote:Those good finishes to close the game won't happen vs the better teams. In fact there might have been a game last year vs a cheese state that was good result of this. When you can put them away early or pull ahead late, it gives teams the ability to stay in the game and keep it close. Thus giving the opposition far too many opportunities to beat you.

Think most of you would agree with me if I wasn't so blunt and brutally honest. Maybe a lighter touch? Probably the presentation that leaves something to be desired.

After all this the basketball program which no one ever is OK being criticized, but the football program always is. I (and others) have said worst bluntly honest things there but no one seems to care or get the hive going. I always noticed its the bball program that people take it way too personal, and get really defensive. If we can praise Miller for his defense, rebounding, recruiting we should be able to criticize his offense. Which is his weakness, it's not like its anything new or an unknown.

A lot of you are just like right wing conservatives who only turn to Fox News as their news choice. Which just reaffirms your original thoughts, not willing to hear anything that contradicts your own views.

This is the only place I've ever read (heard) that can't even acknowledge there's a problem till it passes. Next thing all of you will say is that free throws aren't a problem?

Guess a lot of you choose to live in a bubble, the likes of Ohio St fans living in Columbus, Bama fans in Tuscaloosa, Kentucky fans, and so on.

Reading only the good things people have to say gives you a warped view of reality. I like reading negatives + the positives that are always being said. When you choose to only read the good, you just have a severe case of confirmation bias. Most of you choose to only read/pay attention to whatever supports you're preconceived notion/stance/opinion. Then get mad when someone doesn't like "your" team, why do you want respect from people you don't respect in the first place Everything else that's not a flat out praise the likes the Jong Un's see in N. Korea, is automatically labeled as a troll, hater, etc

A lot of us also joke that the media, ESPN, PAC 12 (and refs), hates us, but an unfortunate amount legitimately believes it. Fact: you can go to any and every fan base in the nation (college + pro) and find that fans of those teams feel the same. How can they all hate everyone at the same time?

The overt homerism get arduous eventually. Especially when everyone says the same thing in hundreds of different variations while virtually saying the same thing. Doesn't that become and dare I say ..... an echo chamber question mark?

Like I said before: I never got why most of you hated & criticized Machina for his regulating, when most of you are guilty of habitual regulating, minus the self awareness.
What are you talking about?

Arizona won plenty of games before Ashley went down by wearing them down. Duke, UM and SDSU all on the road. Az was in a dog fight, the last 5-10 minutes were a different story. I remember Az making 8 baskets in a row or something like that to beat UM. I also remember Az blowing UCLA out in the second half and the Bruins tieing it up late in the game. It's not how you start, but how you finish.

As far as the rest of the 4 page non sense that I skimmed through, if you don't like that no one agrees with you, just stop posting then. We got it the first 10 times.
gumby

Post by gumby »

The only game that matters is Wisconsin. All evidence to the contrary will be rationalized or ignored. That's the blunt, honest truth. If NY weren't such a homer about his own posts, he could recognize the giant holes in his diatribes.

There's plenty of disagreement about the team here. It's just that most of it isn't leavened with his special brand of pomposity. Plus, he's all over the place with sloppy arguments, which he falls to address.
Last edited by gumby on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Right where I want to be.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

NYCat wrote:Those good finishes to close the game won't happen vs the better teams. In fact there might have been a game last year vs a cheese state that was good result of this. When you can put them away early or pull ahead late, it gives teams the ability to stay in the game and keep it close. Thus giving the opposition far too many opportunities to beat you.

How is there no ignore feature on this message board? It would make my life much easie, because I'm really not interested in even reading this dude's posts at all
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dcZONAfan wrote: How is there no ignore feature on this message board? It would make my life much easie, because I'm really not interested in even reading this dude's posts at all
There is - go to User Control Panel and click on Friends & Foes. Put him on your Foe list.

Then we have to get people to stop quoting him.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
cats101

Post by cats101 »

gumby wrote:The only game that matters is Wisconsin. All evidence to the contrary will be rationalized or ignored. That's the blunt, honest truth. If NY weren't such a homer about his own posts, he could recognize the giant holes in his diatribes.

There's plenty of disagreement about the team here. It's just that most of it isn't leavened with his special brand of pomposity. Plus, he's all over the place with sloppy arguments, which he falls to address.
The funny thing is, if Az would have beat Wisconsin and lost to UK then only the UK game would have mattered. This guy is very simple minded
gumby

Post by gumby »

Wrong. We could, never ever beat Wisconsin with Miller's offense. That's why we never had a chance in that one point overtime game. Duke, Michigan, etc.? Got lucky.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

NYCats won't be happy until we all agree that UA sucks, and will never get anywhere with Miller as a coach.

Stop being so obtuse guys...forget enjoying a season of basketball from this team, because history and NYCats shows us that it will only end in disappointment.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

20-0
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

0-18