Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Post by Harvey Specter »

Lots of posts in this thread that read like passive-aggressive shots against Miller, from someone who has had an agenda against him since he was hired. More subtle than usual... But indirectly arguing that "our 2 best players (RHJ & PJC) aren't starting, but they should be.

In other news the passionate and energetic Josh Pastner has struggled early with his Memphis Tigers, posting a 3-3 record so far this season which includes losses to Wichita St., Baylor, and Stephen F. Austin by an AVERAGE margin of 17 points.

Giddy up.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PJC may not get deep second-half minutes this season for the same reason that Miller hasn't, and may not, develop more of a nine-man rotation for March in spite of everything he says--defense.

Defense first, defense last, defense all night. Miller plays the guys who D up.

Pitts got that late run, and York may ultimately go the way of Brendon Lavender, for the same reason. It keeps games close, but usually Arizona emerges the victor in the end.
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

Harvey Specter wrote:Lots of posts in this thread that read like passive-aggressive shots against Miller, from someone who has had an agenda against him since he was hired. More subtle than usual... But indirectly arguing that "our 2 best players (RHJ & PJC) aren't starting, but they should be.
Passive-aggressive? I think the criticism of miller is fairly explicit. Let me clarify my thoughts: I disagree with what Miller has done so far.

I think it's insane not starting Rondae- I've literally never heard of any team doing it. This isn't a James Harden at OKC situation where they have KD and Westrbook starting and don't need his production. This is our best player, and the team's offense has struggled significantly without him in the starting line-up. Not playing our best scoring option in favor of a player that should be (at best) option 4, makes no sense to me.

I don't like Miller's rotations: I think he plays York far too much and isn't playing nearly enough Pitts and PJC. I also don't think Rondae and Johnson are on the court together enough.

I don't like the way Miller's offense looks: the team looks undisciplined on offense and it appears that they rarely actually run sets. The team frequently just passes around the perimeter and then a player decides to go one on one. Furthermore, there are WAY too many early possession, low % shots taken (especially by TJ and Gabe).

And yet, I LOVE Miller. I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the country. His defense is a masterpiece, he's one of the best recruiters in the country, he's tough and he makes the team play tough, and he's a winner. Just because he's an incredible coach doesn't mean that fans can't disagree with some of his decisions.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UofACat23 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:Lots of posts in this thread that read like passive-aggressive shots against Miller, from someone who has had an agenda against him since he was hired. More subtle than usual... But indirectly arguing that "our 2 best players (RHJ & PJC) aren't starting, but they should be.
Passive-aggressive? I think the criticism of miller is fairly explicit. Let me clarify my thoughts: I disagree with what Miller has done so far.

I think it's insane not starting Rondae- I've literally never heard of any team doing it. This isn't a James Harden at OKC situation where they have KD and Westrbook starting and don't need his production. This is our best player, and the team's offense has struggled significantly without him in the starting line-up. Not playing our best scoring option in favor of a player that should be (at best) option 4, makes no sense to me.

I don't like Miller's rotations: I think he plays York far too much and isn't playing nearly enough Pitts and PJC. I also don't think Rondae and Johnson are on the court together enough.

I don't like the way Miller's offense looks: the team looks undisciplined on offense and it appears that they rarely actually run sets. The team frequently just passes around the perimeter and then a player decides to go one on one. Furthermore, there are WAY too many early possession, low % shots taken (especially by TJ and Gabe).

And yet, I LOVE Miller. I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the country. His defense is a masterpiece, he's one of the best recruiters in the country, he's tough and he makes the team play tough, and he's a winner. Just because he's an incredible coach doesn't mean that fans can't disagree with some of his decisions.
I nominate this post for something great. Nail hits head.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

UofACat23 wrote:And yet, I LOVE Miller. I wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the country. His defense is a masterpiece, he's one of the best recruiters in the country, he's tough and he makes the team play tough, and he's a winner. Just because he's an incredible coach doesn't mean that fans can't disagree with some of his decisions.
What, are you insane?!

Bad fan.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If Miller listened to all the coaches in here he'd surely have more free time. He'd be out of a job.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

PJC getting better and better

After Parker Jackson-Cartwright logged another 23 minutes Tuesday, playing more with T.J. McConnell fighting foul trouble, the freshman point guard’s assist-turnover ratio “dropped” to 23-4 (he had three assists and a turnover against the Wolverines of Utah).

That stuns Miller.

“Parker has tremendous poise and command of the game and he’s a floor general for such a young player,” Miller said. “He’s played in some tough games, three away from McKale and off the bench… if you’re ever vulnerable, it’s the beginning of your freshman year. For him to have 23 assists and four turnovers, that’s terrific.

“And he complements what T.J. does very well. T.J. deserves a lot of credit and Parker will be the first to tell you that T.J. really pushes Parker and I think some of his improvement stems from that competitive balance that he experiences every day.”

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... fcf96.html
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

In other news the passionate and energetic Josh Pastner has struggled early with his Memphis Tigers, posting a 3-3 record so far this season which includes losses to Wichita St., Baylor, and Stephen F. Austin by an AVERAGE margin of 17 points.

Giddy up.
uhhhh ohhhhhhh.
While I think it's great we have these boards to "discuss" our team, afterall that is why we are here, great reminder thank you...wouldn't want any other Head Coach at Arizona. Thank you Coach Miller.
Gulp...we could have Steve Alford as our HC right now. We got one of thee best!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

What Miller has found so far is that, on offense at least, Jackson-Cartwright is holding his own.

“He’s coming in the game with confidence, which is great, and he’s making plays,” Miller said. “So it’s not as if we’re in a holding pattern waiting for T.J. to re-enter the game. When Parker’s in, a lot of good things have happened and as he continues to develop on defense I think that not only can his role grow a little bit but I think he can be even more effective.”

The difference between the two defensively is hardly surprising for a fifth-year senior compared with a first-year freshman. McConnell lead

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 161ed.html
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

ASUHATER! wrote:Would he start over Simon next year?
The irony there is that PJC himself is proving it doesn't matter if you start or not, if you can play you will get minutes, pretty simple. Nobody saw this coming, there was even talk of him redshirting but he worked hard and now it is paying off, hope next years class is paying attention.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

looking forward to watching him today.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Stud.
Love watching this guy and gonna love watching him develop.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Smoove.
Right where I want to be.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Jason Gardner 2.0
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I don't know if PJC is a lot like JG except that they are both short and play PG. Gardner was a lot stronger. I would say that Gardner was a warrior, a very streaky 3-point shooter. He was a shoot first PG who loved to dribble penetrate. A lot of his shots were blocked. but he had exceptional handles and didn't turn the ball over often. PJC is a lot quicker and a pass first PG. He's definitely not as strong.

Both were ready to play college ball from the start. PJC hasn't played when the game is on the line. Gardner did from the beginning. Different players but both are very good.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Catintheheat wrote:I don't know if PJC is a lot like JG except that they are both short and play PG. Gardner was a lot stronger. I would say that Gardner was a warrior, a very streaky 3-point shooter. He was a shoot first PG who loved to dribble penetrate. A lot of his shots were blocked. but he had exceptional handles and didn't turn the ball over often. PJC is a lot quicker and a pass first PG. He's definitely not as strong.

Both were ready to play college ball from the start. PJC hasn't played when the game is on the line. Gardner did from the beginning. Different players but both are very good.
Gardner would be as fresh at the end of 2OT game as most anybody else would be at the beginning of a game. Kinda unreal really. . .
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

"PJC is too small, not for us" - Steve Alford
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Bosy Billups wrote:"PJC is too small, not for us" - Steve Alford

He said that?

Alford might have to actually run offensive sets if had PJC. So yeah probably "not for us"
:lol:
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:I don't know if PJC is a lot like JG except that they are both short and play PG. Gardner was a lot stronger. I would say that Gardner was a warrior, a very streaky 3-point shooter. He was a shoot first PG who loved to dribble penetrate. A lot of his shots were blocked. but he had exceptional handles and didn't turn the ball over often. PJC is a lot quicker and a pass first PG. He's definitely not as strong.

Gardner would be as fresh at the end of 2OT game as most anybody else would be at the beginning of a game. Kinda unreal really. . .
One of my favorite all time Cats playing with those Walton/Anderson teams. That Gonzaga game is still one of my all time favorite games.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Thought he would be the best true point in the PAC 12 since Kidd after watching his video. Not sure he will get there but the kid has great feel and natural talent. Excited about the program's future with him running the offense.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't Gardner average 38 minutes a game? Warrior is right.

Could run the baseline on the 1-3-1 all game too. No one else ever could. Shakur, a lot bigger, would cheat on it and bet beat.

JG was also FOY.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

thenewazcats wrote:Thought he would be the best true point in the PAC 12 since Kidd after watching his video. Not sure he will get there but the kid has great feel and natural talent. Excited about the program's future with him running the offense.
He has the skill for sure, and seems like the demeanor. Hard to tell his hunger level because he plays it so cool.

The size thing is an issue, unless he really bulks up. But hard to see that happening on that frame. He has the most to gain on the off season this year, seeing how much muscle he has gained since he arrive in Tucson. Was thinking a more skilled, less athletic, thinner Nate Robinson, if that makes sense.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Bosy Billups wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:Thought he would be the best true point in the PAC 12 since Kidd after watching his video. Not sure he will get there but the kid has great feel and natural talent. Excited about the program's future with him running the offense.
He has the skill for sure, and seems like the demeanor. Hard to tell his hunger level because he plays it so cool.

The size thing is an issue, unless he really bulks up. But hard to see that happening on that frame. He has the most to gain on the off season this year, seeing how much muscle he has gained since he arrive in Tucson. Was thinking a more skilled, less athletic, thinner Nate Robinson, if that makes sense.
While this was the thinking to begin the year, I don't understand what you have seen that makes you think this is still an issue. Some guys simply excel regardless of their physical limitations, and it's pretty obvious PJC is one of those guys. He has dealt with and excelled being this size his whole life, and knows exactly how to use it as a strength and is the craftiest small PG i've ever seen.

Also, his length makes up for his height on defense. Have you noticed how good of a rebounder he is? At this point just as good as TJ, if not better, on a per minute basis. I have seen him steal rebounds from Zeus.

The only thing that him being 5'10" does is allow us to keep him for 4 years instead of 2, and that's pretty fucking fantastic.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PJC is going to be a cornerstone of this program over the next few seasons.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Does pjc start over the 5 star freshman pg coming in? (Simon right?)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Does pjc start over the 5 star freshman pg coming in? (Simon right?)
I've seen you ask this before. Why don't you let one season play out before worrying about the next...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So everyone else can speculate about pjc and the pg of the future in this thread but I can't?

gumby

Post by gumby »

ASUHATER! wrote:Does pjc start over the 5 star freshman pg coming in? (Simon right?)
Yes if he's better. No if he's not.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Simon isn't just a PG. He will be playing all different spots. Not sure why that is so hard for people to grasp.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Whens the last time we had a solid true backup PG? even freshman Mayes wasn't really a PG. Nic Wise behind Bayless?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

While this was the thinking to begin the year, I don't understand what you have seen that makes you think this is still an issue. Some guys simply excel regardless of their physical limitations, and it's pretty obvious PJC is one of those guys. He has dealt with and excelled being this size his whole life, and knows exactly how to use it as a strength and is the craftiest small PG i've ever seen.

Also, his length makes up for his height on defense. Have you noticed how good of a rebounder he is? At this point just as good as TJ, if not better, on a per minute basis. I have seen him steal rebounds from Zeus.

The only thing that him being 5'10" does is allow us to keep him for 4 years instead of 2, and that's pretty fucking fantastic.
If PJC had a neck he'd be 6'1"
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

He definitely can.

He will have had a year head start on Miller's system and already looks like a very capable player. If Simon comes in very advanced then they both could start as well. Not an either/or situation.
gumby

Post by gumby »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:Whens the last time we had a solid true backup PG? even freshman Mayes wasn't really a PG. Nic Wise behind Bayless?
1998. We haven't had a lot of good point guards since Terry. Certainly not two at once. Certainly not enough to hang a domain name on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wouldn't call Bayless a true PG.

Sure liked his 20 ppg though.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:The only thing that him being 5'10" does is allow us to keep him for 4 years instead of 2, and that's pretty fucking fantastic.
This is one of the reasons I liked the PJC recruitment and commitment so much; he was basically described as a five star talent but because of his height he would probably be a four year player. I commented at the time of his commitment that we might be smart to go after a couple more of those types of players (five star talent but short for position as far as NBA is concerned).
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I don't know how anyone can watch this kid and be anything short of amazed at what he can do at his age and obviously his size. Some guys just have a nose for the game regardless of what people say should be limitations. People think Tyrann Mathieu is undersized too, but he has a feel for the game that can't be taught. PJC has that, and while I think bulking up would help, I don't necessarily think it's required. No reason he can't be as good as guys like NateRob, Isaiah Thomas and JJ Barea, but I don't think he needs to get that big, especially if his frame won't hold it. I do enjoy calling him Webster though.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

azcat34 wrote:
He definitely can.

He will have had a year head start on Miller's system and already looks like a very capable player. If Simon comes in very advanced then they both could start as well. Not an either/or situation.
Simon is a 5 star project guys. So much potential but he has 0 chance of starting next year, and you can take that to the bank. He is going to be great as a junior and senior, but he will not be coming in here and starting or playing huge minutes like Zo.

PJC is going to get the bulk of the minutes at PG
Gabe and Trier at SG with Pitts in there sometimes as well.

Scraps for Simon as a frosh.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:Simon is a 5 star project guys. So much potential but he has 0 chance of starting next year, and you can take that to the bank. He is going to be great as a junior and senior, but he will not be coming in here and starting or playing huge minutes like Zo.

So you don't see any PT for Kadeem Allen next season?

This is what I was talking about when saying that either Pitts or York need to learn PG skills and be at least a serviceable combo guard.

Otherwise, what will happen at the 2 will be just what would happen at the 5 if Rabb comes and Tarc stays: Too many recruits, not enough minutes to go around.

We'll either end up with an early freshman transfer and ultimately a waste of a scholarship, or it'll be a Momo Jones situation where a player who Miller has done all the hard work on lights it up at some other school.

Unless, of course, Ray Smith is too raw to handle starter minutes next season and Miller goes to a three-guard set. Then you'd see more than scraps for Simon.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

catgrad97 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:Simon is a 5 star project guys. So much potential but he has 0 chance of starting next year, and you can take that to the bank. He is going to be great as a junior and senior, but he will not be coming in here and starting or playing huge minutes like Zo.

So you don't see any PT for Kadeem Allen next season?

This is what I was talking about when saying that either Pitts or York need to learn PG skills and be at least a serviceable combo guard.

Otherwise, what will happen at the 2 will be just what would happen at the 5 if Rabb comes and Tarc stays: Too many recruits, not enough minutes to go around.

We'll either end up with an early freshman transfer and ultimately a waste of a scholarship, or it'll be a Momo Jones situation where a player who Miller has done all the hard work on lights it up at some other school.

Unless, of course, Ray Smith is too raw to handle starter minutes next season and Miller goes to a three-guard set. Then you'd see more than scraps for Simon.
Blue, Red, White Platoons take that Coach Cal!!!!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

CBCat wrote:If PJC had a neck he'd be 6'1"
or 6'4" with a new haircut
gumby

Post by gumby »

Rough night.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

gumby wrote:Rough night.
Beautiful spin move and kiss off the glass in the 2H. Freshmen aren't supposed to look that good!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Saddest part of the game is that PJC was really exposed how short he is.

Game was too big for Ristic too, but Cartwright won't grow any more.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

PJC is going to give up a little of his game because of his height, but his impact in other areas will make up for it over a large sample size. Maybe he gets subbed out on critical defensive possessions. I can live with that. He will make his teammates better. He won't have TJ's grit, but he is a great playmaker.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

How hurt is he now?

eoe

Post by eoe »

His passing is elite. Such a good feel for the court. It's been limited action, but his offense looks to be superior to TJ's (at the same stages).

He gets a little too hurried sometimes and dribbles into tough spots, but I think that's just nerves w/pressure more than court awareness.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

eoe wrote:His passing is elite. Such a good feel for the court. It's been limited action, but his offense looks to be superior to TJ's (at the same stages).

He gets a little too hurried sometimes and dribbles into tough spots, but I think that's just nerves w/pressure more than court awareness.
Wildcat PG of the future.
Kiyama

Post by Kiyama »

Much better shooter than TJ... I do think we are in good hands with him. He may not get as many minutes as TJ, next year, but I think he starts and is productive. The upcoming pressure experience in the Pac12 tournament and in March Madness will be greatly beneficial and he will get tons of work over the summer... expecting a big step up in sophomore season.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

All PJC needs is reps, reps, reps....
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Glad to see PJC's minute up these last 5 or 6 games. And he's contributed while playing. Same goes for Ristic. Wish we'd see more of Pitts, but it's good to know Miller is playing so much of the bench. At halftime something like 23 (over half) of Arizona's production was from the bench. That'll pay for itself next season when York, PJC, Ristic, and Pitts get starting time.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson