The "Do you care about a #1 seed this year" Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

threenumberones

Re: The "Do you care about a #1 seed this year" Thread

Post by threenumberones »

gumby wrote:
salim'sheadband wrote:Like KK said, if you want a championship you should want a 1 seed.

That said I just want a Final Four. For now.
Same. Best achieved from the 1 seed slot than any other. Not even close.
Was curious so looked at numbers. % of FF representatives by seed (last 25yrs):
1 - 39%
2 - 21%
3 - 14%
4 - 13%
5 - 6%
6 - 1%
7 - 0%
8 - 3%
9 - 1%
10 - 0%
11 - 2%

By far the most for sure. Note the steep drop after 4 as well. 87% of FF teams are in the top four seeds.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

psiclist23 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
psiclist23 wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:In the last 10 years 7 #1 seeds have won the National Championship. All other seeds combined have won 3. Give me a #1 any day of the week.
Sorry, this is faulty reasoning. You can't say the team that one would not have won anyway if they were seeded other than #1.

What is true is that the best teams - generally - are seeded #1 and the best teams usually win. If they seeded the best teams #4, they would still probably win and then, based on your logic, we would all be seeking a #4 seed.

edit: Correlation doesn't prove Causation.
Seeds are not awarded randomly,

Those teams that have separated themselves during the course of the season with their play, and are awarded a 1 seed as a result, have a better chance of advancing to a Final 4 (than those teams that have not). In other words, the committee has done a good job of identifying the best teams in the nation. Translation: regular season form more often than not translates into a correlating degree of tournament success.

The seed is a consequence or result of the team's play, which is what really determines the likelihood of advancing - along with the difficulty of the draw (also related to seeding).

There iS a causal relationship between the quality of a team's play and it's seeding, and (by default) its Final 4 prospects.
Seems like you are proving my point. Yes, there is a causal relationship between the quality of a teams play and it's seeding, and their FF prospects. And, as I said, the best teams are seeded #1. And they have the best prospects for reaching a final four. But it is because they are the best teams, not because they are seeded #1.

I agree that desiring a #1 seed makes sense. Why not take the easiest path and have the best chance?

I was just saying that the assertion that 7 out of 10 #1's won because they are #1 does not follow. It's untestable. Those 7 teams may have won no matter what their seed was.
This is a circular argument... and I am getting a headache.

#1 seeds are the #1 seeds because they were one of the 4 best teams during the regular season, and hence have a higher likelihood of advancement.

If they were #4 seeds, it is because they did not play as well during the regular season, were not as good, and thus would have a lower likelihood of advancement.

Those 7 teams would never have been 4 seeds; it's pretty straightforward. Like saying if "he was born without a pecker he'd be a woman". You have one, then you are; if you don't, you are not.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just hope we can keep our pecker.
Right where I want to be.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

If it shakes out the way Lunardi's current bracket shows, I don't see any substantive difference between our path and Gonzaga's.

https://espn.go.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

Would be very happy w/ ULM & Texas in Portland followed by North Carolina and the Zags in the Staples Center.

(Really, as long as Anaheim isn't in the picture, I'm happy.)

Let the Zags be the #1 seed that gets upset. If we are the #2 seed and stay in the West we will have a very good chance to get to the FF. (p.s. that's what we were in 1994 and 2001..just saying)
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

We're going to be the 2 seed in the West come March, no doubt in my mind. Let's do this.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

pokinmik wrote:We're going to be the 2 seed in the West come March, no doubt in my mind. Let's do this.
The Mock Selection, for whatever it is worth, has us as a 2 seed in the midwest with kentucky...THAT WOULD BE TERRIBLE!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

My mock selection said UA is the best team ever....and it's about as reliable as that one.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

pokinmik wrote:We're going to be the 2 seed in the West come March, no doubt in my mind. Let's do this.
There is a lot of doubt in my mind. Everyone seems to forget that there is the slight matter of the rematch with Utah in the "Flying Saucer".....where we never seem to do well. If Utah wins the rematch, chances are they will be the undisputed PAC12 champions, in which case they have a very good case to be the 2 seed in the West.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dmjcat wrote:
There is a lot of doubt in my mind. Everyone seems to forget that there is the slight matter of the rematch with Utah in the "Flying Saucer".....where we never seem to do well. If Utah wins the rematch, chances are they will be the undisputed PAC12 champions, in which case they have a very good case to be the 2 seed in the West.

Uh, when was the last time Utah beat us?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

▵2
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Somewhere in heaven Fatjerus is smiling.

And eating, he's definetley aslo eating.
milbarge

Post by milbarge »

dmjcat wrote:
Uh, we've won @Utah every year since they've joined the P12.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If Arizona still has only 2 conference losses when it goes to Utah, that game will define the whole season. I doubt the players will just kind of show up like a bunch of pros and go through the motions for the first 39 minutes. I also doubt Krystowiak won't zone this time. Wright still won't have an answer for Rondae, but the home court will be worth a lot.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Uh, Utah is significantly better than in years past

Uh, Kenpom gives the UA less than a 40% chance of winning the game.
milbarge

Post by milbarge »

dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

True, but where are you getting the "where we never seem to play well" from? 20 years ago?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

milbarge wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

True, but where are you getting the "where we never seem to play well" from? 20 years ago?
20 years ago? (don't bring up the Santa Clara game please)

How about last year......when we barely got by a very average Utah team in OT???
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh my, now DMJ is polluting the bball program with his woe is me we can't Beat anyone and the sky is falling attitude.

Sure, we could lose to anyone. It's competition and it happens, especially on the road. While we don't have to be looking at every game with myopic wildcat glasses I still think we have much more talent than anyone in the PAC and that we will play to go to a FF this year.

Do yourself a favor and sit down and get all that sand out of your vagina man. You will feel a lot better and enjoy our season more
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:Oh my, now DMJ is polluting the bball program with his woe is me we can't Beat anyone and the sky is falling attitude.

Sure, we could lose to anyone. It's competition and it happens, especially on the road. While we don't have to be looking at every game with myopic wildcat glasses I still think we have much more talent than anyone in the PAC and that we will play to go to a FF this year.

Do yourself a favor and sit down and get all that sand out of your vagina man. You will feel a lot better and enjoy our season more
I'm merely pointing out facts..........You seem to be the one with the "Sand in the Vagina Syndrome" :lol: :lol:
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Uh, you didn't answer the question...

Uh, your posts never seem do do well.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Uh, you didn't answer the question...

Uh, your posts never seem do do well.
Uh, "When did Utah last beat us" is irrelevant, they will be favored in SLC

"do do well"...........Uh, your posts never make sense, grammatically or otherwise.
gumby

Post by gumby »

There are positive facts and negative facts. But the facts you choose say something beyond "just pointing out facts." Maybe sprinkle in the occasional note of enjoyment and pride, just to show you're not really as depressing as you seem.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

We never do well, aside from the fact that we haven't lost to Utah in a couple decades.

Great work there. I hope we continue not to do well and get another W .
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

gumby wrote:There are positive facts and negative facts. But the facts you choose say something beyond "just pointing out facts." Maybe sprinkle in the occasional note of enjoyment and pride, just to show you're not really as depressing as you seem.
The fact that Kenpom gives us less than a 40% chance to win in SLC isn't a negative or a positive fact....its just a fact. You ,and a few others, seem to be negatively responding to that fact. Perhaps you are depressed???
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dmjcat wrote:
gumby wrote:There are positive facts and negative facts. But the facts you choose say something beyond "just pointing out facts." Maybe sprinkle in the occasional note of enjoyment and pride, just to show you're not really as depressing as you seem.
The fact that Kenpom gives us less than a 40% chance to win in SLC isn't a negative or a positive fact....its just a fact. You ,and a few others, seem to be negatively responding to that fact. Perhaps you are depressed???

KenPom's predictor is never wrong. Another fact.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Nope, KenPoms predictor can be wrong........You, on the other hand, are almost always wrong and Thats a fact :lol: :lol: :lol:
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Nope, KenPoms predictor can be wrong........You, on the other hand, are almost always wrong and Thats a fact :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uh huh. I can always tell your defeat with the extended use of emoticons...

Never seem to do well. Never? Never, ever ever....
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Uh huh. I can always tell your defeat with the extended use of emoticons...

Never seem to do well. Never? Never, ever ever....
Defeat???? Only in your warped mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

That is comical for a guy who went 0 for the football season. ODogg has been spot on for years, even predicting our run to the final 8 mid season in Dwills break out year.

You fanatacism with our teams struggles with Utah in all sports is just weird. We are on the road so of course kenpom says we shouldn't be favored to win against a top 15 team. But just like in football, i like the way we match up with Utah and I think we win.

We have the ability to shut down there top score with RHJ and we are far more physical. I only worry about the refs when we play. If they let us play I don't think we get beat anywhere
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

That is comical for a guy who went 0 for the football season. ODogg has been spot on for years, even predicting our run to the final 8 mid season in Dwills break out year.

You fanatacism with our teams struggles with Utah in all sports is just weird. We are on the road so of course kenpom says we shouldn't be favored to win against a top 15 team. But just like in football, i like the way we match up with Utah and I think we win.

We have the ability to shut down there top score with RHJ and we are far more physical. I only worry about the refs when we play. If they let us play I don't think we get beat anywhere
Fanaticism??? The only fanaticsim on this board is with posters like you and Odogg who can't handle other posters opinions (or in the case of Kenpom...the facts).

We may very well beat Utah, PAC12 refs or not. I just pointed out, accurately, that beating Utah on the road is going to be very tough (as Kenpoms numbers would suggest). We seem to have quite a few posters that have blown off Utah and are already predicting we are virtually a lock for a #2 seed.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Beating Utah will be very tough but even in a loss our RPI will not suffer. I think the 2 seed comments come from the confidence of either winning the regular season PAC crown or the PAC tourney. In either we likely beat Utah again adding to our resume.

People can stomach your opinions but they are just always gloom and doom with the anticipation of seeing you post, there I told you. Just gets old man
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:Beating Utah will be very tough but even in a loss our RPI will not suffer. I think the 2 seedcomments come from the confidence of either winning the regular season PAC crown or the PAC tourney. In either we likely beat Utah ah again adding to our resume. I certainly hope you are right. I think we have a better chance of winning the PAC12 tourney than the conference title this year

People can stomach your opinions but they are just always gloom and doom with the anticipationof seeing, there I told you. Just gets old man
Gloom and doom is entirely in the eyes of the beholder. If you really get that depressed reading what I post then feel free to ignore me. What REALLY gets old is seeing posters express their opinions only to get attacked by a select few posters who can't live with any opinion that doesn't have AZ winning the national title
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Your comment about us having a better chance in the conference tourney than the regular season makes sense on the surface except that Utah stillhas 4 road games left after this weekend. One of those is at a place where the home team is undefeated including having beat us.

I agree with ODogg, we simply are better and I think we win both crowns. As for attacking posts, everytime you post you attack at least one poster (see your sig)
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:Your comment about us having a better chance in the conference tourney than the regular season makes sense on the surface except that Utah stillhas 4 road games left after this weekend. One of those is at a place where the home team is undefeated including having beaton us.

I agree with ODogg, we simply are better and I think we win both crowns. As for attacking posts, everytime you post you attack at least one poster (see your sig)
Great, and you are entitled to your opinion........as am I.

As far as my sig, everything in it came right out of DC's mouth. I just like to remind him of that.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I don't remember him saying he was the UofA poster child?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:I don't remember him saying he was the UofA poster child?

He called me "The U of A football fan poster child" :lol: :lol:

He also likes to use the term "STFU" quite a bit when responding to other posters.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The saddest part of all this is the fact that you can't wait for a loss in slc so you can log on with your "I told you so" post along with countless other posts piling on.

Honestly the game in slc means about as much as the game in Eugene meant to last year's team. Win or lose, it really won't mean much.

I will never understand fans like you whom can't figure out what a fact is or how to use one when it's finally figured out.

We may lose in slc. We may lose before that. Nobody is overlooking anything---aside from "fans" looking ahead 2 weeks.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:The saddest part of all this is the fact that you can't wait for a loss in slc so you can log on with your "I told you so" post along with countless other posts piling on. And you won't log on with I told you so in the case of a UA win?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly the game in slc means about as much as the game in Eugene meant to last year's team. Win or lose, it really won't mean much.

I will never understand fans like you whom can't figure out what a fact is or how to use one when it's finally figured out. You wouldn't recognize a fact if it bit you in the ass :lol:

We may lose in slc. We may lose before that. Nobody is overlooking anything---aside from "fans" looking ahead 2 weeks.
Get real, we already have fans in this thread locking us into a #2 seed in the West
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'm done with you.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Even if we do lose at Utah I still like our chances of the 2 seed out west. Based on teams on our heels continuing to lose, plus, I doubt Utah runs the table like you seem to think (and we already whooped them once). Our resume is gonna be very 2-seed worthy next month. Almost to, or right at 30 wins, 5 losses or less, and an amazing BPI and RPI. Obviously some shit can happen with the P12 title and in the P12 tourney but that's just how I feel it'll shake out.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pokinmik wrote:Even if we do lose at Utah I still like our chances of the 2 seed out west. Based on teams on our heels continuing to lose, plus, I doubt Utah runs the table like you seem to think (and we already whooped them once). Our resume is gonna be very 2-seed worthy next month. Almost to, or right at 30 wins, 5 losses or less, and an amazing BPI and RPI. Obviously some shit can happen with the P12 title and in the P12 tourney but that's just how I feel it'll shake out.
We need to do one of two things to get a 2 seed: win our remaining reg season games or win the Pac 12 tourney.

If neither happens, we're looking at a 3.

If both happen, and Gonzaga loses a game, we could sneak back into the 1 seed conversation.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:I'm done with you.
Can I get that in writing........in a legal contract?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

pokinmik wrote:Even if we do lose at Utah I still like our chances of the 2 seed out west. Based on teams on our heels continuing to lose, plus, I doubt Utah runs the table like you seem to think (and we already whooped them once). Our resume is gonna be very 2-seed worthy next month. Almost to, or right at 30 wins, 5 losses or less, and an amazing BPI and RPI. Obviously some shit can happen with the P12 title and in the P12 tourney but that's just how I feel it'll shake out.
If we lose at Utah (and assuming Utah wins their remaining games which is quite likely although not a given) then Utah finishes as the PAC12 champs. Do you think the NCAA committee gives us the #2 seed and keeps us out west instead of Utah in that case?? I think it more likely we get shipped out...albeit possibly still with a #2 seed.
milbarge

Post by milbarge »

dmjcat wrote:
If we lose at Utah (and assuming Utah wins their remaining games which is quite likely although not a given) then Utah finishes as the PAC12 champs. Do you think the NCAA committee gives us the #2 seed and keeps us out west instead of Utah in that case?? I think it more likely we get shipped out...albeit possibly still with a #2 seed.
Depends if we win P12 tourney which could include another win over Utah. With the unbalanced P12 schedules where a team finishes in conference holds less weight than in the past. I think our body of work would still have us ahead of Utah as far as seeding.
gumby

Post by gumby »

dmjcat wrote:
It's a trend of yours and you know it.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We're beating Utah by 10+...again. Just get that out there now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

U VA will win the ACC, does anyone actually think Duke is not a better team
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

gumby wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
I agree completely, its a trend of mine to throw out facts (like KenPom). :D
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Main Event wrote:We're beating Utah by 10+...again. Just get that out there now.
If Kyrsto stubbornly sticks to man-to-man the whole game I probably agree with you.

If he wakes up and zones us.......... : :(
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dmjcat wrote:
gumby wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
I agree completely, its a trend of mine to throw out facts (like KenPom). :D
Are you really that obtuse?

The FACT may be that KenPom is of the OPINION that we have a 40% chance of winning in SLC. It may be an educated, or even statistically-supported OPINION, but it is still only a forearm-looking OPINION. In the civilized world, one would classify that as a GUESS.

Try following here... reporting a guess that has actually been made by a reputable source does not make it a fact. Either you really are inadequately armed for a battle of wits, or you are a troll who makes pathetic attempts to manipulate facts to suit an agenda.