Sweet 16 Xavier discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bosy Billups

Re: Sweet 16 Xavier discussion thread

Post by Bosy Billups »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Ok, most of the time, I can at least "get" where opposing fans get their nicknames for my team.....but dessert raccoon has me stuck.
Miller has dark circles under his eyes. Something lame like that
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Bosy Billups wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Ok, most of the time, I can at least "get" where opposing fans get their nicknames for my team.....but dessert raccoon has me stuck.
Miller has dark circles under his eyes. Something lame like that
Ahhhhh is that what it is? Yeah, that's pretty lame.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i like the 7:15pm tip-off time in LA, esp against an eastern timezone team. too bad walton can't do the pbp -- it feels like a conf game.

@CBCat: do you get the SoCalCats emails? also check the user postings on their fb page -- folks are selling tix for thursday's game at face value.

the team also has an open practice scheduled for 3-4pm PDT wednesday at staples. should be fun.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

A friend of a friend wants to go to the game(s) in LA. He missed this year's Pac 12 tourny, but has attended at least the two preceding (we know how they ended). He was also present for last year's elite 8 game against Wisky (we know how that ended). He's one of those out of staters who ended up at the U of A, fell in love with the program, and is all of a sudden the world's biggest fan. I keep telling my buddy to tell him if he had any respect for our program he will watch the game from his couch, but the dude laughs it off and insists he is going.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:A friend of a friend wants to go to the game(s) in LA. He missed this year's Pac 12 tourny, but has attended at least the two preceding (we know how they ended). He was also present for last year's elite 8 game against Wisky (we know how that ended). He's one of those out of staters who ended up at the U of A, fell in love with the program, and is all of a sudden the world's biggest fan. I keep telling my buddy to tell him if he had any respect for our program he will watch the game from his couch, but the dude laughs it off and insists he is going.
I'm considering watching the 2005 Illinois game for the first time since it happened. I figure if there's a sacrifice I can make to reverse our Elite Eight luck, that's the one.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:Is Gus Johnson too much to ask for next season instead of that crew following the Cats around?
Must have a more restrictive FOX contract than Raftery.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ugh.. Spaceman you just convinced me to watch the last four minutes of regulation and OT. I hadn't watched it since it happened either.
All sorts of fail, and it wasn't like they were fouling and we missed our freebies. That was even worse than I remembered it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

5 Bold Predictions For No. 2 Arizona vs. No. 6 Xavier

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketba ... -6-xavier/
5. Matt Stainbrook Has 15 Points and 10 Rebounds
4. Gabe York Is Good For 3 Three-Pointers
3. Stanley Johnson Steps It Up In the Scoring Department
2. Jalen Reynolds Fails To Reach 10 Points
1. Arizona Wins By 10 or More, Moves On To the Sweet 16
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote:5 Bold Predictions For No. 2 Arizona vs. No. 6 Xavier

Is this the same guy who predicted that Arizona would lose in the first round to a 15 seed?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Yeah that guy was Jerry Landry.

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote:
azgreg wrote:5 Bold Predictions For No. 2 Arizona vs. No. 6 Xavier

Is this the same guy who predicted that Arizona would lose in the first round to a 15 seed?
No, he predicted we'd win 81-52.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketba ... rn-tigers/

He did get a lot of these predictions wrong though.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketba ... ournament/
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote:Yeah that guy was Jerry Landry.

He likes us now.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketba ... ship-game/

15. Arizona vs. Xavier

The Arizona Wildcats are a No. 2 seed in a No. 1 seed’s body. The ‘Cats have weapons on the wing and in the backcourt that could challenge even Kentucky in terms of talent. How can the Xavier Musketeers answer? With Jalen Reynolds and Myles Davis. Will the Musketeers deliver? No. I’ll take Arizona to win 82-70.
6. Wisconsin vs. Arizona

Well, if it isn’t a rematch from 2014? If this plays out like Michigan State-Virginia part two, then it’s another Badgers victory. But you have to remember, there will be a lot more pressure on the No. 1 seed, and I see the Wildcats exacting revenge in this instance. Arizona will move on in a 69-67 barnburner.
Then us losing to Kentucky by 11.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I love sneaking up on people. I love the Sweet 16.

We are going to ride roughshod over Arizona. Hope Miller got the Lexus roadside assistance package.
Xavier fan
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Well it should be expected. I mean, Xavier Johnson runs his mouth before every game too...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
I love sneaking up on people. I love the Sweet 16.

We are going to ride roughshod over Arizona. Hope Miller got the Lexus roadside assistance package.
Xavier fan
I get being a fan of your team, but anyone that confident isn't using his brain. I'll give Xavier respect, but we aren't rated as the #2 team in the tourney by most metrics because we suck.

There are some in every fan base.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Just picked up S16/E8 tickets yesterday. Row 4 behind the bucket. My first Match Madness game/s

Got a condo 2 blocks away from Staples. Party time!
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

This thread has produced 0 insights on Xavier's style of play and what to expect on the court.

I watched the 2nd half of their Georgia State game like everyone else, so I know that much about them.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:This thread has produced 0 insights on Xavier's style of play and what to expect on the court.

I watched the 2nd half of their Georgia State game like everyone else, so I know that much about them.

Agreed, Seems no one really watched them much, myself included. I remember they had one pretty good interior player and a beefy center who didn't look too athletic. I thought there backcourt was decent and I know theywere very physical and tough minded. This is truly a game they have nothing to lose which worries me some
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Last edited by azgreg on Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

azcat49 wrote:
1stNGrant Frys wrote:This thread has produced 0 insights on Xavier's style of play and what to expect on the court.

Agreed, Seems no one really watched them much, myself included. I remember they had one pretty good interior player and a beefy center who didn't look too athletic. I thought there backcourt was decent and I know theywere very physical and tough minded. This is truly a game they have nothing to lose which worries me some
Yeah, to me they looked like all-around good above average team. I am in generally not worried about those types of teams. They will probably run the zone more competently than UCLA and Ohio State.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Xavier perspective. Not a bad write-up if you can get past the excess use of punctuation!!!

http://www.musketeermadness.com/article.asp?ID=2189
Arizona's PAC 12 numbers are scary good (77PPG-58PPG on Defense). They are plus 10 in rebounding-plus 10 in FG%. The Wildcats have made 331 FTs in PAC games and the opponents have attempted just 334 (almost Skip Prosser's magic ratio). They take care of the ball well. PG McConnell's assist to turnover ratio is over 3 to 1. They force a bunch of turnovers. Three pointers are not a high priority but McConnell and York are capable long range shooters and why bother with the three when you can get lay-ups and dunks at will and shoot a million FTs.

Packline defense is their mantra. Zona turns teams into mediocre jump shooters. They give you shots off the dribble inside the arc at awkward angles and distances. Only 25% of the points they yield are via dunks-lay-ups or low post moves. XU must play inside-out and spot the open wing and corner shooters and then make the shots.

Certainly, the Muskies have outside options, but they need Bluiett to post along with Remy Abell and Myles Davis and J.P.Macura. If they don't guard Dee, he needs to bury a few as he did vs UC and Ole Miss. Feeding the post is paramount. Jalen Reynolds can certainly run and jump with Zona. How will they defend BIG MATT? Farr has to compete on the boards.

The 1-3-1 zone will be dusted off. Even UA might have trouble getting the ball to the middle of the floor against that defense so watch out for York and Johnson baseline.

Arizona is an early 11 point favorite. My man Ken Pomeroy gives XU a 16% chance of winning. You know me. I think XU can win this. Sean Miller did a lot for the progress of the Xavier program. He instituted the packline defense and gave XU a template to win in March. His 2008 and 2009 teams came close to Final Fours. He beefed up recruiting and scheduling and gave Chris Mack a great education.

Sean said he believed Xavier could and would eventually make the Final Four and play for a National Championship. This may not be XU's year to do that and it may be Miller's best chance to advance all the way, but I like the Muskies' underdog posture and the way this team shares the ball and is now mixing defenses and competing for 50-50 balls and rebounds. X has two prime time Seniors (Dee and Matt) to Arizona's one (T.J. McConnell).
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Another good write up, this time from Xavier's SB Nation site:

http://www.bannersontheparkway.com/2015 ... at-arizona
So how can Xavier beat Arizona? Only three teams have managed it this season. UNLV on December 23rd, Oregon State on January 11th, and Arizona State on February 7th. For nearly six weeks the Wildcats have not only not lost, they've only played two games that wasn't decided by double digits and those were against Sweet 16 teams Utah and UCLA. They are rolling right now, but they aren't completely invincible.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I have to try and get through 3 more days of work. This is agonizing.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Puerco wrote:Another good write up, this time from Xavier's SB Nation site:

http://www.bannersontheparkway.com/2015 ... at-arizona
So how can Xavier beat Arizona? Only three teams have managed it this season. UNLV on December 23rd, Oregon State on January 11th, and Arizona State on February 7th. For nearly six weeks the Wildcats have not only not lost, they've only played two games that wasn't decided by double digits and those were against Sweet 16 teams Utah and UCLA. They are rolling right now, but they aren't completely invincible.
I love the chink in the armor hyperbole, it's fantastic. All of these clowns just continue to focus on the games where we didn't even show up.

Unfortunately for Xavier, pretty sure we are showing up in force on Thurs. I mean if anyone knows not to take them lightly it's Miller - not that we need any extra incentive in the tourney.

And bring on that weak 1-3-1 - we'll go over the top all day long with a dunk bonanza.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

What do you expect them to write? 'Xavier has no chance, they should just stay home and save money on the air fare...'?
threenumberones

Course not. But using those three games as the prototype for how to beat us isn't the right answer, and really is just kind of lazy. I'd look for answers in how teams in the field (UCLA, Utah) were able to challenge us late in the season. Look at the first half of tOSU - we were clearly out of synch for a significant portion of that game. If that game continued on that trajectory, it would have very much been in doubt.

Not saying the conclusions are necessarily wrong - sure, need to keep us off the offensive glass. Duh. But creating your recipe from those three games, which are virtually irrelevant by the end of March, is just not accurate. A different team will be out there Thurs. Like the team that just beat tOSU by double digits .. so start there.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yeah, I understand your point. But these guys write for a Xavier fan site, so what do you expect. I thought it was pretty well done considering that and considering that I haven't seen any meaningful analysis from the more professional sites yet. God, how I hate this time between the games!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, it's not like we have trenchant XU insights. West Coast bias.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Yeah, it's not like we have trenchant XU insights. West Coast bias.
I've heard they like to put chili on spaghetti but I'm not really sure how we can exploit that.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:Yeah, it's not like we have trenchant XU insights. West Coast bias.
I've heard they like to put chili on spaghetti but I'm not really sure how we can exploit that.
Are Les Nessman, Venus Flytrap, & Dr. Johnny Fever still on the air there?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bailey Quarters was much better looking.

even pre-WKRP

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ways to stop/abilities of Xavier(s):

Telepathy. To stop them from using that, there is a special helmet.
Being really good in high school. To stop that, have him attend KU.
Dominating with the Sonics. To stop that, send him to be underutilized on the Knicks.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"As God as my witness, I thought Wildcats could fly!"
threenumberones

Cinci's greatest weapon. That's an 'X' for Xavier on his forehead right?

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jailin Reynolds.
threenumberones

On-campus assault.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If true, this puts Mack in the driver's seat for Coach of the Year next season. See: Altman.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

rolling the dice on an asterisked postseason. whatever, we want to play X at full strength.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:rolling the dice on an asterisked postseason. whatever, we want to play X at full strength.
I'm not sure it would be an asterisk. If it's criminal conduct, the NCAA doesn't have the eligibility call, the school does. I'm assuming they will just say due process means full investigation, no suspension until investigation is complete...etc.

Let's get them full strength. March isn't the time to get shrinking chonies.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

threenumberones wrote:On-campus assault.
This is the type of situation that says a lot about a coach.

If the evidence is clear, or the player admits what they've done, does the coach have the balls to do the right thing?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I don't think the correct answer to that question would be, "What would Coach K do?"
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dirtbags wrote:rolling the dice on an asterisked postseason. whatever, we want to play X at full strength.
I'm not sure it would be an asterisk. If it's criminal conduct, the NCAA doesn't have the eligibility call, the school does. I'm assuming they will just say due process means full investigation, no suspension until investigation is complete...etc.

ah - that makes sense. thanks, spiff!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Glad this isn't our team. The TMZ posters would be on it like Blue Bonnet.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Pretty much agree with this and add to it the idea that there aren't any facts about this alleged assault. You don't suspend a player just because there is an allegation against him/her. If some damning facts come out, you re-evaluate the decision.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I would be pretty surprised if we don't win by at least 15.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Haven't seen Xavier play. How deep is their bench...how many guys do they play.