Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Zero

Re: Pitts

Post by Zero »

Welp. This is not good at all.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

banging a roommates/friends/teammate/buddies sister generally never turns out well -- for anyone.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Eek

What an idiot.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Eek

What an idiot.
Wasn't his fault!

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It's going to get more ugly really soon
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Like program affecting ugly?
az91

Post by az91 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Like program affecting ugly?
Probably not. It seems most programs are usually allowed to have one player commit a transgression without having a lasting impact. If there are multiple players committing transgressions, things can go south in a hurry.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

For those wondering, the family of the victim published a letter where (at least to me) they've responded to their anger and disappointment over the minimal punishment Pitts faced by accusing CSM of publicly favoring Pitts during the process of the investigation.

I don't remember it that way. And even after I knew it was a sexual assault investigation I thought CSM took a very measured and practical tone in the very little he said.

Personally, beyond immediately kicking Pitts off the team (which would have set a very bad precedent as far as guilty before proven innocent) I don't know how this could have been handled more fairly by the AD and coaching staff.

Very disappointed that the family wrote that letter. Throwing the AD and CSM under the bus like this seems like a harmful overreaction.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Link?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It was PM'd to me at Scout.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

If the family "published" a,letter, how can there be no link??
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Not published

----

EDIT: Letter deleted
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I can understand why the parents are so upset. Totally get it. I don't know if I was in the same situation that I would do the same thing, but I get it. They are frustrated and totally need someone to blame.

What EP did or didn't do, and that she said or didn't say...it was an incredibly stupid decision that will have ramifications for both parties involved for the rest of their lives in some way, shape or form. Legalities aside, I am always inclined to believe the victim in a scenario such as this considering that nobody wants to go through all of this without substance behind an allegation.

Raising 2 boys, I am seriously going to drill into their heads the damage that can be done with a dumb decision--not only to their lives, but to those that they know and care for. One stupid choice can have serious consequences.

In this EP situation it is unfortunate on several levels, although completely different than the Stanford case IMO. I think Miller and the program were placed between a rock and a hard place and basically took the advice of precedent and legal and are moving on.

Sad indeed.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If people want to read the email it is out there...just look at the site that you hate.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:Not published

----

EDIT: Letter deleted
For the best.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:If people want to read the email it is out there...just look at the site that you hate.

Wow. Surprised her brother did not kick his ass.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lots of politics and emotion in that letter, IMO.

Fully agree with Odogg and Chi's posts on the matter.

There are no angels in this situation.

I am fully confident that Miller and GB did there due diligence with legal and the program is fine. Just got to be proactive with media on this if it comes to it.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I'm assuming it's on scout premium? If so could someone pm me the letter?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

This incident brings back what happened with Khalid Reeves. No matter what happened, this will affect some of these young people for the rest of their lives, very sad.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Who wrote the letter?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:Who wrote the letter?
The parents of the victim.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:
HiCat wrote:Who wrote the letter?
The parents of the victim.

I'm guessing it was bad stuff eh.

Did the girl recite her version of what happened?

Wondering since I'm still not clear on specific facts. We know there
was alcohol involved, but what was her official statement? :?:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It did not rehash the crime. More so it was intended to shift the blame for what they see as an unfairly lenient punishment to CSM and Greg Byrne by vaguely alluding to the support they gave Pitts.

I feel for them. But Pitts didn't play during the investigation, and eventually had to leave the team and ultimately the school. I get the impression that anything short of CSM calling Pitts a rapist in public was going to be looked at as being too supportive of him.

The fine line the AD and staff had to walk was made even more narrow by the fact that the victim and her brother were both involved in athletics. I thought they did a good job of toeing that line. But then again, it wasn't my child who was assaulted.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't even think Miller/Byrne made a single decision in this incident. Every thing was done with a group of lawyers calling the shots.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I don't even think Miller/Byrne made a single decision in this incident. Every thing was done with a group of lawyers calling the shots.

Good call. Leaves it out of CSM's hands. AD too. If there was a problem, then let the legal team handle it.

As to the specifics, I'm not sure if the results were too "lenient" or maybe even too protective of EP's reputation. I just don't know the girl/ woman's version of events.

Yeah, sounds like alcohol was involved, but again, just not enough info for me to conclude whether EP or "victim" was right/ wrong. :|

It doesn't appear to be criminal so that's good.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Laughing at the idea that Byrne and Miller stay out of issues like this

Both are control freaks
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I notice they didn't take any shots at the UofA administration/board that allowed Pitts to finish the semester so he'd be eligible to transfer somewhere.

I don't think Miller and Byrne had anything to do with that.
-JB
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Alieberman wrote:Laughing at the idea that Byrne and Miller stay out of issues like this

Both are control freaks

Maybe, but still a good idea for CSM and AD to stay clear during the investigation phases of the case before decisions are made on how to move forward. If anything it gives an appearance of fairness to all parties.
prh

Post by prh »

UAEebs86 wrote:I notice they didn't take any shots at the UofA administration/board that allowed Pitts to finish the semester so he'd be eligible to transfer somewhere.

Bingo, if there's anything that should have been differently, allowing him to finish the semester "so he could be eligible to transfer for basketball" would be it. GB and CSM did exactly what they should have done. Sit him out, keep it quiet.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:I notice they didn't take any shots at the UofA administration/board that allowed Pitts to finish the semester so he'd be eligible to transfer somewhere.

Me neither. fwiw ;)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Laughing at the idea that Byrne and Miller stay out of issues like this

Both are control freaks

Maybe, but still a good idea for CSM and AD to stay clear during the investigation phases of the case before decisions are made on how to move forward. If anything it gives an appearance of fairness to all parties.
Truth
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

There is a whole department on campus to deal with such issues called something like Judicial Affairs, no need to get the AD involved.
Fishclamps wrote:I'm assuming it's on scout premium? If so could someone pm me the letter?
It's on PGU
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merk

Have you read anything there that's credible re: this case?

Seriously q.

I get the impression others here know the specifics.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Both are control freaks
It's Elliott fricken Pitts we're talking about here. This wasn't a player that would greatly affect the athletic department. This is totally let the lawyers tell us what to do so we can't get sued from either side type of deal all the way. Byrne and Miller had no reason to do anything other than what they were told.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat wrote:Merk

Have you read anything there that's credible re: this case?

Seriously q.

I get the impression others here know the specifics.

No, I don't know anything more than He Said She Said which has already been published. I imagine the Scout Premium people do. I didn't read the whole thread at PGU, just what the parents wrote.

But it does explain the brother's disappearance from the UA team, which we thought was due to some knee injury.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Well, the smart things for Miller and GB to do in this situation is discuss the matter with legal counsel, and sit down with the University and figure out who is going to be making that decision. It would make sense to have "fall people"/those not associated with and being the faces of an athletic department/one of the most valuable CBB programs in the country making said decisions. GB and Miller are both smart guys, and I'm sure there are others in the University as well. So, if the crap hits the fan, from whatever direction, Miller can look into a camera and say "so and so made this decision, we just followed the direction of the school and our attorneys. With that said, if Miller did make that decision or did so collaboratively, I think it was fair and the best thing the program and school could have done.

I do not take this alleged conduct lightly and have not formulated my own opinion without all of the known facts. But the reality is, it's just as dangerous to have a mob mentality and demand blood without due process as it is to sweep these types of allegations under the rug, the latter being something we have seen blow up at multiple schools. I cannot even begin to understand how the father is feeling through all of this, and I'm not taking any sides or placing any blame on his daughter. And I realize the father's ties are going to be stronger to the man who roamed the sidelines for decades before CSM did, but those are some rather damning allegations when this situation is looked at through neutral lenses. As easily as any woman can be victimized by a heinous crime, a man (or collegiate athletes like him or his son) can be subjected to false allegations, which is why we have court systems here in the United States. Obviously, your immediate family comes first, but your Arizona and Arizona basketball family is at risk for possibly being unjustly damaged. Then again, the family hasn't been afforded the opportunity to have the matter heard in criminal court. Tough situation for everyone involved.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

97cats wrote:banging a roommates/friends/teammate/buddies sister generally never turns out well -- for anyone.
Very true but you should add /former player's daughter/high profile booster's daughter generally never turns out well
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Especially one with 7 Grammy awards.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There's nothing more to know on Scout premium.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Pitts just turned 21, but at the time he was 20 and she was 18.

Were they both cited by UAPD and given school code of conduct violations for underage drinking?
-JB
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Dear Parents,

How do you like these lyrics that I helped write for Chris Brown and for all of our children to enjoy?

Damn
(Doo doo doo)
Baby, I want you

Woah

Here we are,
All alone in this room (ooh)
And girl I know,
Where to start and what we're gonna dooo
I'll take my time
We'll be all night girl
So get ready babe,
I got plans for me and you (wooah)

It ain't my first time but babygurl we can pretend (hey! )
Lets bump and grind
Gurl, tonight will never end

Let me take you down
I really wanna take you down
And show you what I'm about
Can I take you now,
Ya body body ooh
Your body body up and dooown
So don't stop
Girl get it
Quit playin' wit it
Can't waaait nooo mooore
I wanna take you down
I really wanna take you down,
Take you down (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)

Pretty girl let's take it off,
In this roooom
No time to waist
Girl you know what we came to dooooo (woahawoahawoah)
We got all night to try to get it right girl
(Hope ya ready, hope ya ready, hope ya ready)
I hope ya ready babe,
Cuz here we go,
We know how we do (hoooo)

It ain't my first time but babygurl we can pretend (hey! )
Lets bump and grind
Gurl, tonight will never end

Let me take you down
And show you what I'm about
Can I take you now,
Ya body body ooh
Your body body up and dooown
So don't stop
Girl get it
Quit playin' wit it
Can't waaait nooo mooore
I wanna take you down
I really wanna take you down,
Take you down (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)

Your
Freakin' now baby
Like a pro baby
And I bet that you
(I bet you woahawoaha)
Think you know baby
Like a pro baby
So what ya wanna do?
I'm gonna take it down baby nice and slow
So bring it let's go
Baby! (baby, baby)(yeah, yeah)
(Baby, baby, baby)
Come on baby, come on baby
Let me taaaaake
Let me take you down (you down!)
(Let me show you)
(Let me do it to you like I wanna do)
Woahhh
Can I take you now,
Ya body body(woah)ya body body body up and down
(yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
So don't stop girl get it,
Quit playin' wit it
Can't wait no more(i can't wait no more)
I wanna take you down,
Take you down (yeah)
Take you down
(Woah, woah)I said I wanna take you down (babe, yeah)
Let me take you down
(take you)
Take you (all the way) down
All the way down
We can do some things (on the way down)
Take you down (woah, woah)

Sincerely,

Harvey Mason
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hardly the first person with a daughter to write/help right a rather tame song about sex.....
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Kaibab...

Never mind. You won't respond anyway.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Not really sure how Mason can justify criticizing Miller and Byrnes over their pretty innocent/by the book handling of a due process case of a current athlete, but be OK collaborating with known woman abuser, and overall dick Chris Brown by writing a song that sort of reads like its about mind/emotionally manipulative sex.

Seems like business decisions are allowed by Mason, but yet he is openly critical over two others abiding by due process.

He wants us to think about how awkward this was for Trey, but how is it not awkward for his daughter, potential sufferer of domestic/sexual misgivings, to have a father who is OK making money off a relationship with a piece of shit abuser?

Just odd.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is this really the lyric?

No time to waist

Saw this on twitter:

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Merkin wrote:Is this really the lyric?

No time to waist

Saw this on twitter:

I can't tell if this song is supposed to be what Pitts said to a drunken daughter.

It's a begging, cajoling, constant plea for sex.

It's not a good look to write that for a woman beater who has likely taken advantage of countless women as the outspoken father of a daughter who maybe was the victim of sexual misconduct.

I was in his corner to a point on this. I understand both sides though. No easy out.

But this collaboration is tantamount to Miller running out and recruiting a prospect with a public scandal regarding women, sex, and violence.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Mason's sure like to air dirty laundry all over the neighborhood.

Classy...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I guess when PR benefits the family it's all good. It's also all good to write lame songs and send letters to boosters.

No worries if harm done to a basketball program that did everything according to legal advice.

Money can't buy class.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Sorry, but as much as I've always rooted for Harvey, his lack of maturity has held him back. Case in point here.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I can't believe this is what it ended up being. Maybe people would take Harvey seriously if his discography wasn't blatantly adding to objectification and rape culture. My favorite of course is a little track he produced for 50 Cent:

"Be My Bitch"
(feat. Brevi)

Shawty say she straight, cant wait till tonight to turn her out babee
Take her to a different world, get her baby girl

[Brevi (50 Cent)]
I'll pick you up at 8, we can call it a first date (get her baby)
We gonna have some drinks on me, it my treat, you ain't gotta pay

[50 Cent]
Take her ass downtown, the Bentley drop top show her all around
Later when we get back we can show her how we live
Man she take it off as soon as she step foot in the crib

[Brevi]
Your so sweet come see me, I'm gonna give you what you need
You can be my bitccch

[50 Cent]
You can be my bitch

[Brevi]
You can be my bitch [x2]