Dont have premium so I could be wrong
Beachcat97

Re: Jason Scheer

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's the latter.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Merkin wrote:Greg Byrne to U North Texas.

#IAmUNT

https://twitter.com/GregByrne_/status/7 ... 5319645184" target="_blank

Hope his wife didn't see their coffee cups.

Not our Greg Byrne.
Why do you have to be so mean?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:Not our Greg Byrne.
Why do you have to be so mean?

Just in case you missed Taylor.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Denton is a dry county.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:Denton is a dry county.
Wasn't when I spent the summer there in 1984.

According to this map it's "Part wet: Including distilled spirits"

http://texasalmanac.com/topics/governme ... p-counties

Counties (in part) in Which Beer, Wine, and Distilled Spirits Are Legal (143): Anderson, Archer, Atascosa, Bandera, Bastrop, Bee, Bell, Blanco, Bosque, Brazoria, Briscoe, Brown, Burleson, Burnet, Caldwell, Calhoun, Callahan, Camp, Carson, Cass, Castro, Chambers, Cherokee, Clay, Cochran, Coleman, Collin, Comanche, Cooke, Coryell.

Also, Dallas, Dawson, Denton, DeWitt, Dickens, Eastland, Edwards, Ellis, Erath, Falls, Fannin, Floyd, Freestone, Frio, Galveston, Garza, Gillespie, Gray, Grayson, Gregg, Grimes, Hale, Hall, Hamilton, Hansford, Hardin, Harris, Harrison, Hartley, Haskell, Hays, Henderson, Hill, Hockley, Hood, Hopkins, Howard, Hunt, Hutchinson, Jack, Jackson, Jasper, Jeff Davis, Jefferson, Jim Wells, Johnson, Jones.

Also, Kaufman, Kerr, King, Knox, Lamar, Lamb, Lampasas, Lavaca, Leon, Liberty, Live Oak, Llano, Lynn, Marion, Matagorda, Maverick, McCulloch, McLennan, Medina, Milam, Mills, Montague, Montgomery, Morris, Motley, Nacogdoches, Navarro, Newton.

Also, Orange, Palo Pinto, Parker, Pecos, Polk, Potter, Rains, Randall, Real, Red River, Robertson, Rockwall, Runnels, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, San Patricio, Shackelford, Shelby, Smith, Stonewall, Swisher, Tarrant, Taylor, Titus, Tom Green, Travis, Tyler, Upshur, Uvalde, Walker, Wheeler, Wichita, Willacy, Williamson, Wilson, Wise, Young.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In academia, we call that "dry". Once, right before I gave a lecture on Israel to a mixed audience, I started to get dangerously close to sober. A whole helluva lot of good "partially wet" would have done me if I wasn't able to reach out my hand at that moment and find a bottle of Johnny Walker.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Olsondogg wrote:Your ignorance is masked by false confidence. If what was reported as possible actually happens, you'll be the first to freak the fuck out.
Not if he's the last to find out.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Just so I am on the QT here, is this thread in anyway related to TOS's "Keep Tuned" thread?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Interesting to me how some are so concerned about the basketball team and don't care about the other programs.

While he may not be the most important person in Arizona Athletics he is up there and he would be the toughest to replace with someone on par with his level. Hope he says a long long time.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Though not a fan of his uniforms and -outs, he is a great AD and has made some really good hires.

But we knew from day 1 he was looking for bigger things. I hope he stays, but if he leaves I wish him nothing but the best.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Though not a fan of his uniforms and -outs, he is a great AD and has made some really good hires.

But we knew from day 1 he was looking for bigger things. I hope he stays, but if he leaves I wish him nothing but the best.
I was trying to think of a sport at Arizona that isn't in a better place compared to when he took over. I couldn't think of one except maybe softball, which isn't anything Byrne did. Guy has been fantastic for Arizona. I hope he stays, but it's hard to bear ill will when he has done so well here and really isn't tied to us to begin with.

Retaining Miller, hiring RichRod, NEZ project, McKale renovation, the passing of the torch in baseball...Byrne has been very, very good in the major outcomes of his tenure here.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I wish him the best if he leaves.

It is what it is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lots of good ADs out there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Lots of good ADs out there.
Lots of bad ones too. Stop trying to act cool. It's like an ill-fitting suit on you.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wonder how much the Mason letter might be impacting this. GB doesn't like or seem to function well with negative press
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote:Wonder how much the Mason letter might be impacting this. GB doesn't like or seem to function well with negative press
Astute take on a GB weakness, J.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Lots of bad ones too. Stop trying to act cool. It's like an ill-fitting suit on you.
I'm not cool. Lots of good ADs out there.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Wonder how much the Mason letter might be impacting this. GB doesn't like or seem to function well with negative press
Do you have some examples? I can't think of others at this time so just want to see your thoughts and examples on this.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I'm not cool. Lots of good ADs out there.
Not a lot and very few if any as good as GB. By far the toughest person to replace.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Arizona fans love to worry
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I don't have premium anymore, but I'm guessing Scheer must have said if offered UF, Byrne would take it, or something like that to get everyone freaked out. Byrne is going to be a candidate for every AD position that opens up.

Still has to get the offer, and with his son at UofA and a wife who seems happy here, wonder if he would take another AD position at this point?
I still think he's here until he gets something bigger, like a conference commissioner. If the Mason thing is an issue, Florida is not exactly
stellar in the student conduct arena:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... om-2000-14
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:Arizona fans love to worry
Exactly. And not being worried about our AD leaving is somehow a cool pose.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AD of Florida is a pretty good gig. I don't see how any AD wouldn't be interested.

We'll see.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From Florida Scout site:
FRANZ BEARD

Although the UAA is trying to make sure there are few, if any, leaks regarding the search for Jeremy Foley’s replacement, there are enough sources from various places including some out in Tucson who say Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne is indeed the first choice. Everybody I have talked to says Byrne would be the perfect fit at Florida because he’s got a great eye for coaching talent and understands that it’s the AD’s job to give coaches what they need to succeed.

. . .

I have no idea who else Florida will interview for the AD job, but I am convinced this is the right guy. He’s got SEC experience (associate AD at Kentucky; AD at Mississippi State), has proven he can balance the budget even with enormous debt, knows how to raise funds and isn’t afraid to think outside the box. Florida is replacing one of the best athletic directors – if not the very best – in the country over the last 25 years. This is no time to hire some up and comer who can “grow” into the job, but time to go for someone with experience and a knack for raising the money it’s going to take to keep UF athletics in first place.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's cool to not be worried about this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Time for you to give us your list of all the great ADs out there we can replace Byrne with. I look forward to it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:Time for you to give us your list of all the great ADs out there we can replace Byrne with. I look forward to it.
Nah. How about we just trust that the university admins will make a good hire? Seems better than freaking out that they won't.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Time for you to give us your list of all the great ADs out there we can replace Byrne with. I look forward to it.
Nah. How about we just trust that the university admins will make a good hire? Seems better than freaking out that they won't.
You honestly have no clue about anything. Almost as bad as the dude who I thought pretended to be an ASSU fan.

Miller is elite but Byrne is perhaps more important and a heck of a lot harder to replace. Miller played a role in the McKale renovations but it is Byrne that made that happen. So much else.

And what admins? I don't trust Hart to make a good hire for this especially with her being a lame duck.

And I new AD may want his guy and may not be as fond of Miller or Rich Rod.

For the overall health of Arizona Althletics it would be easier for Miller or Rich Rod to leave. Hopefully Byrne turns it down if offered and waits a few more years to be commish somewhere and finishes the renovation projects that have been started.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
So you're cool with Livengood v2.0? Good to know Mr. Cool Cat...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Just one more valuable commodity Florida has stolen from Arizona.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Do you think a defunct president Ann Weaver Hart will? Do you think they can get Ced Dempsey to collaborate like he did with GB? That was Shelton who loved sports.

Not sure we are in a good position to add a top level guy. Following GB would be tough for anyone but being hired into that position with a lame duck president seems onerous at best
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Regardless of who we hire, there's a very low chance they will be better than Byrne. A good hire is no guarantee.

If GB leaves, maybe the sky isn't falling, but anyone who isn't a bit nervous is in denial.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
So you're cool with Livengood v2.0? Good to know Mr. Cool Cat...
We'll do better than Livengood. A lot of unnecessary panic in this thread. I want you to be like Fonzi, Chi. And what was Fonzi like?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BC, you are either being intentionally obtuse or genuinely clueless when it comes to what Greg Byrne has done for a multitude of sports programs at UA, and for fan interest and engagement.

In my book, he's the best AD in America. There's a really good reason why Florida would want him and why Arizona should be absolutely worried about losing him.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:In my book, he's the best AD in America. There's a really good reason why Florida would want him and why Arizona should be absolutely worried about losing him.
Nice. I'll get right on that worrying. More worrying, I say.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why is Arizona always a slampig for better collegiate sports opportunities. Even taking into account BB which is top of the second tier of programs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:In my book, he's the best AD in America. There's a really good reason why Florida would want him and why Arizona should be absolutely worried about losing him.
Nice. I'll get right on that worrying. More worrying, I say.
Oh, because you're such a cool customer when it comes to other stuff.

Isn't it time for your daily "why hasn't Miller signed 6 five-star players yet for 2017???" post?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Why is Arizona always a slampig for better collegiate sports opportunities. Even taking into account BB which is top of the second tier of programs.

I imagine it's the curse on the UA football program. Last sole conference championship was in the early 1940s Border Conference. However, Nick Foles did break the "No NFL QB in the PAC era" curse.

Like Byrne said years ago, FB is where the money is, BB is tapped out. UF has been king of both revenue programs.

Recent history has to be tough with Larry Scott being chief of the PAC. His vendetta against Arizona must be painful to Byrne, and the awful PAC-12 Network is costing each school millions.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Why is Arizona always a slampig for better collegiate sports opportunities. Even taking into account BB which is top of the second tier of programs.

I imagine it's the curse on the UA football program. Last sole conference championship was in the early 1940s Border Conference. However, Nick Foles did break the "No NFL QB in the PAC era" curse.

Like Byrne said years ago, FB is where the money is, BB is tapped out. UF has been king of both revenue programs.

Recent history has to be tough with Larry Scott being chief of the PAC. His vendetta against Arizona must be painful to Byrne, and the awful PAC-12 Network is costing each school millions.
Bingo. Football is the cash cow that dictates the rest. We do not have a tradition of success or an easy path to it.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

As long a Byrne doesn't go to USC, I'll be OK.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Best most likely replacement just took the AD job at Baylor.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Whose going to fire up the AD search thread?

I don't even know where you go to find ADs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Whose going to fire up the AD search thread?

Mississippi State.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Mississippi State.
Because of GB history or because that have someone else clutch?

Who leads the search? Weaver-Hart?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Mississippi State.
Because of GB history or because that have someone else clutch?

Who leads the search? Weaver-Hart?
Just as a joke about how the real success would be keeping Byrne. Everything else is a risk.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If Byrne does go, time to back up the truck for Chris del Conte.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:If Byrne does go, time to back up the truck for Chris del Conte.
We can't afford him. Before you say "yeah, but TCU...," they have a lot more money than we do.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

We always knew the that someday we would lose Greg Byrne. But there is no sugar coating losing GB if he departs.

His loss would be a huge, monstrous blow to the athletic department and the dynamic fund-raising he has been involved with.

Greg Bryne is easily one of the top 10 AD's in the nation and is probably top 5 if you look at the overall disadvantages the UofA has to deal with. The guy is nails!

Simply put, stop kidding yourself with feel good illusions..................Arizona isn't replacing Greg Byrne with another Greg Byrne.

In my opinion losing Greg would be just like losing Sean Miller or when Lute had to hang it up.

He's that important to Arizona and his impact that big.