Red-Blue game 2016

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dirtbags

Re: Red-Blue game 2016

Post by dirtbags »

so, lauri has been every bit as good as advertised...
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dirtbags wrote:so, lauri has been every bit as good as advertised...
He is a match-up nightmare. Loving Rawle also and pjc is much improved.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yes to rawle. love how PJC has been moving and distributing the rock. and defending. ray is looking good, too. dusan's been dusan so far.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I know I've been creepily into Lauri, but I'm so effing sold on that kid.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Love Rawle's game. This team has the potential to be one of the better Miller teams on offense
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bet Smith won't try that again.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Was just gonna ask about Smith. I don't get the Pac 12 network and have been wondering how he looks. This is the first time we've seen him in any kind of game as an AZ player, right?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Was just gonna ask about Smith. I don't get the Pac 12 network and have been wondering how he looks. This is the first time we've seen him in any kind of game as an AZ player, right?
He was in the red/blue last year also. A week later he tore his acl.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sooo, this Lauri kid is .......... uh ....... fucking awesome.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Chicat wrote:Sooo, this Lauri kid is .......... uh ....... fucking awesome.

umm, yyeeaahhh... i'm, ah, gonna need him to stay, uh, an extra couple of seasons here... great, great, thanks
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

gonna be a fun team to watch this season. btfd.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I have to cross all fingers and toes for Trier. We have a lot of potential this year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dirtbags wrote:

umm, yyeeaahhh... i'm, ah, gonna need him to stay, uh, an extra couple of seasons here... great, great, thanks
Ha!

Fat chance...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That Lute/Don MacLean interview is fascinating.

Never knew Lute lost his dad and his brother both early on the ND farm.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

84Cat wrote:Isn't that Jim Storey sitting behind Miles Simon?
yes it was.

That Rawle dunk was sick. Got me off the couch seeing it in person and on the replays.

Fan Favorite, the next Kevin Parrom.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dude is huge with a smooth shot.

Calling it now; top 5 for the draft in 2017.

Love him.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lauri is going to clean up in Tucson...

stud.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Rawle is going to be the next Rondae Hollis Jefferson fan favorite.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

dirtbags wrote:

Kid is 1 and done, lottery. Just a complete player. Going to be a funbyear. Hope the NCAA knows the Phoenix fan base sucks and they need Trier to play to create AZ excitement for March madness
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Lauri will be our best player by March. Trier included
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I thought this was the best played Red Blue game that I've seen in a while. The quality has been down since the best players have been freshmen for a while. A lot of skilled players on the team.

PJC was head turning. Really blew by people and seemed much more confident. Zo is obviously ready to lead the team. KAllen also very confident in his role. Hit some nice stop and pop shots.
Ristic was automatic and LM is quite a find. Comanche has improved. Alkins was an impressive frosh and Ray Smith is going to be something too. There are the makings of a very good team here.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So after tonight, who's the starting 5?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Beachcat97 wrote:So after tonight, who's the starting 5?
To start with, PJC, Allen, Trier, Markkanen, Ristic.
Next are: Alkins, Smith, Comanche, and Simmons?

That might not be the starting 5 after a month or so. Its a pretty good 9. Might need Pinder for inside defense.
I thought Smith was bigger but he looks more like a 2 or 3. He may move up significantly since he has 2 years of rust.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAeGZSE ... e=youtu.be" target="_blank

Well, if AT is on PEDs, it doesn't show physically. If anything, he looks thinner.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

dirtbags wrote:p12 network will also be re-airing the red-blue game tonight at 10pm PDT and tomorrow (saturday) at 11pm PDT, plus a whole bunch of replays starting on tuesday morning - although the game will probably feel like ancient history by then.

mckale has wifi, right? anyone wanna periscope the before-scrimmage stuff for us lowly out of towners? :D
Thanks much dirtbags....screwed the pooch on the time difference and missed it live but caught the first replay thanks to you! I had had only access to the P12 National Network schedule and was bummed there were no replays until I got your post and checked the AZ schedule.

Thanks again and Bear Down!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAeGZSE ... e=youtu.be

Well, if AT is on PEDs, it doesn't show physically. If anything, he looks thinner.
lol, My wife said the same thing. "he should get his money back"
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Marked improvements with everyone. We look to be godly down low. Tons of depth and talent on the wing. I think we will be fine at PG, but I have to remind myself of PJC's history on the road. Worst case, Kadeem looked damn good out there. Freshmen were as advertised or better, with Simmons being a guy who will probably need a few months to grow. This team is so much better than last years on both sides of the floor from what I can see. I agree w the starting lineup of PJC, Kadeem, Trier, LM, and Dusan to start. Rawle first off the bench. Smith, Simmons and Chance filling out a nine-man rotation and Pinder getting some minutes when a defensive pest/rebounder is needed and to help out w/ foul trouble. The only guy I wasnt impressed with was Dylan Smith, but he's not eligible to play. Chalk it up to nerves I guess? He looked really bad.

Like I said in the other thread, if things work out with Trier, this will be a special team. My gut tells me this is our year if that is the case.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:

When was the last time anyone got busted for straight up using steroids in any sport? It seems like nowadays it's some minor ingredient in a supplement they were taking or some over the counter medication that gets guys in trouble. Which to me, is stupid zero-tolerance bullshit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

When was the last time anyone got busted for straight up using steroids in any sport? It seems like nowadays it's some minor ingredient in a supplement they were taking or some over the counter medication that gets guys in trouble. Which to me, is stupid zero-tolerance bullshit.
Yeah most PEDs don't exist to get you ripped, they do other things, and as Chi said here numerous are over the counter, and yes also as Chi said the zero-tolerance stance is bullshit as well.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Random comment...

Sure appears that AT maybe have taken health supplements a la vitamins as a part of his fitness improvement program. No intent to use hard PED drugs. You'd have to be a pharmacist to understand the implications of using the assortment of products offered over the counter.

Fingers still crossed. 8-)
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I was happy to see Smith out there. His shot looked smooth and he looked confident with his shot. I hope he stays healthy for his sake
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce wrote:Marked improvements with everyone. We look to be godly down low. Tons of depth and talent on the wing. I think we will be fine at PG, but I have to remind myself of PJC's history on the road. Worst case, Kadeem looked damn good out there. Freshmen were as advertised or better, with Simmons being a guy who will probably need a few months to grow. This team is so much better than last years on both sides of the floor from what I can see. I agree w the starting lineup of PJC, Kadeem, Trier, LM, and Dusan to start. Rawle first off the bench. Smith, Simmons and Chance filling out a nine-man rotation and Pinder getting some minutes when a defensive pest/rebounder is needed and to help out w/ foul trouble. The only guy I wasnt impressed with was Dylan Smith, but he's not eligible to play. Chalk it up to nerves I guess? He looked really bad.

Like I said in the other thread, if things work out with Trier, this will be a special team. My gut tells me this is our year if that is the case.

My thoughts exactly. Very impressed with PJC, but he has 2 years of history behind him. Hoping more out of Simmons, but hey, he's a true frosh so to be expected. Actually liked Pinder out there, but LM really schooled him. LM did decent on Ristic, so nice to see he can cover the 4 and the 5.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

PJC
Trier
Alkins
Smith
Lauri

Those are your best players.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
gumby

Post by gumby »

The rumor of PJC's demise is greatly exaggerated. Kadeem Allen, too. Both brimming with confidence.

Ristic has incredible touch. If he could just play mediocre D ...

Alkins is very impressive. Trier is the best offensive player. If he plays, we'd have a situation like Oregon did last year, with Brooks and Cook slashing from the wings and being hard to guard. Should pile up the fouls and free throws.

Lauri is inordinately skilled for a man that size. May end up being our best deep threat. Grabs boards, too. Never tried to do too much.

Like coach said. Kobi has much to learn. Super athletic, though. Shot is odd, starts it low. He's gonna find that spin move doesn't work so well on this level.

Ray Smith can shoot it. Great size.

Comanche had a couple nice moves. He should clean up on O-boards and dump-offs from the wing slashers.

Pinder could be our Edgerson. Like!
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I was focusing in on LM's D last night as well Merkin. I agree with you, Dusan had to work hard for quite a few of his baskets. I think at worst he will be a competent defender against pretty much anyone. I think the big thing w him will be staying out of foul trouble, he picked up a few cheapies last night on hedges. It will come and we got depth (knock on wood).. LM's rebounding stood out to me too. He had a couple of tough boards that he hauled in, I especially loved that offensive board early where he tipped it to himself and scored.

Kadeem certainly looked the part of a senior. If he can be our rondae this year on D, he may be our third best all around player. His offense looked good. PJC has just gotta figure out his road woes, because he looked like a floor general last night and he had that extra gear that the elite PG's had. Looks like his handle has gotten even better and his shot release looked quicker, which is huge for him. I liked his D too. Chance continued to show his offensive potential, played pretty good D too. Pinder on D and rebounding. His offensive game is rough, but if he can stick to just cutting to the basket for easy dunks he will be fine. We got a lot of guys who can create w the ball and open up easy dunks for him. I need to stop before this turns into five paragraphs. Really excited.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:
PJC
Trier
Alkins
Smith
Lauri

I would agree those are our best players but I disagree that's the best lineup. Dusan and Lauri in together should space the floor nicely and allows Lauri to roam. And it gives us incredible size on defense.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

OT, but seeing bibby on tv last night reminded me of his son's recruitment so i just looked it up. didn't realize he landed at usf -- i thought he was bound for sc. my sentimental side still wishes he could've come aboard as a four-year project and play close to home. dad is still an all-time fave to many.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Chicat wrote:
enfuego wrote:
PJC
Trier
Alkins
Smith
Lauri

I would agree those are our best players but I disagree that's the best lineup. Dusan and Lauri in together should space the floor nicely and allows Lauri to roam. And it gives us incredible size on defense.
Isn't Smith 6'8 and a better defender and a good shooter?

For the record, I'll be rooting for UA to lose every game, but think you come in 3rd in the PAC and have Elite 8 potential. That said, this year's KU squad would steam roll the PAC this year.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:
enfuego wrote:
PJC
Trier
Alkins
Smith
Lauri

For the record, I'll be rooting for UA to lose every game, but think you come in 3rd in the PAC and have Elite 8 potential. That said, this year's KU squad would steam roll the PAC this year.
You say that, then they lose almost every game they play against pac 12 teams.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:
enfuego wrote:
PJC
Trier
Alkins
Smith
Lauri

You're adorable.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

OR, UCLA, and AZ could beat KU this year. Maybe Cal, too.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Beachcat97 wrote:OR, UCLA, and AZ could beat KU this year. Maybe Cal, too.
No chance. Kansas is Tier 1 this year. The PAC contenders are good teams this year, but Tier 2.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

enfuego wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:OR, UCLA, and AZ could beat KU this year. Maybe Cal, too.
No chance. Kansas is Tier 1 this year. The PAC contenders are good teams this year, but Tier 2.
A team that was a 1 seed and reached the elite 8 in last year's tournament that returned almost everyone of importance isn't a Tier 1. Got it. And I can see how you could rule out a team that has at least 7 legitimate NBA prospects being a Tier 1 team too.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

This team has a lot of talent, if they can mesh together and if AT can stay eligible, they have Final Four potential. I don't usually take much from the Red-Blue game, but I was fairly impressed by what I saw.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The "final 4 potential" argument is always confounding to me...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

cats101 wrote:This team has a lot of talent, if they can mesh together and if AT can stay eligible, they have Final Four potential. I don't usually take much from the Red-Blue game, but I was fairly impressed by what I saw.
Ditto this. 8-)

Very talented bunch indeed. With Allonzo getting a rumor pass, who knows how great they can be?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So based on a Red/blue game, people are stating they have final 4 potential? Or is it because of the rest of the field across the nation? Or is it because AT can be such a dominating factor?

I can't remember reading one thing about Nova's final 4 potential at this time last year...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote:So based on a Red/blue game, people are stating they have final 4 potential? Or is it because of the rest of the field across the nation? Or is it because AT can be such a dominating factor?

I can't remember reading one thing about Nova's final 4 potential at this time last year...
At this point of the season all Div I teams have Final 4 potential.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:So based on a Red/blue game, people are stating they have final 4 potential? Or is it because of the rest of the field across the nation? Or is it because AT can be such a dominating factor?

At this point of the season all Div I teams have Final 4 potential.
Yes.

I just don't get the analysis after a glorified practice. Or if a certain player here or there goes down...just makes no sense to me, but whatever.