Pinder

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Pinder

Post by rgdeuce »

If it is minutes, why the heck is the dude so mad? I mean, he is averaging 16 minutes per game. I can get the whole angle of being "spoiled" with the bigger minutes he got earlier, but back in October, did any of us think he would be averaging that many? Full squad, PJC healthy, Smith healthy, Trier not out... At that point he is pretty much only getting walk on minutes and a bit more. Last three games he has gotten 10, 11 and 18 minutes AFTER the return of PJC. He has only gotten under 10 minutes once the whole season (5 at CAL). Hope that is not the case really, that he isn't a role guy who cannot grasp that is all he is at this or other quality D1 programs.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It seemed to me he was mad due to his poor play.

I recall Loren Woods was the same way.

gumby

Post by gumby »

Hope that is it. Accurate.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:If it is minutes, why the heck is the dude so mad? I mean, he is averaging 16 minutes per game. I can get the whole angle of being "spoiled" with the bigger minutes he got earlier, but back in October, did any of us think he would be averaging that many? Full squad, PJC healthy, Smith healthy, Trier not out... At that point he is pretty much only getting walk on minutes and a bit more. Last three games he has gotten 10, 11 and 18 minutes AFTER the return of PJC. He has only gotten under 10 minutes once the whole season (5 at CAL). Hope that is not the case really, that he isn't a role guy who cannot grasp that is all he is at this or other quality D1 programs.
I get where you're coming from, but I've almost never known a basketball player that didn't think he was better than the guy currently playing in front of him. I've always figured that on some level, Randy Brown was convinced that he would be as good as Michael Jordan if they just gave him more minutes and shots.

Yes, it would be unreasonable for Pinder to think he should get 20 mpg right now, but most players have brains that work like that. I had times where I sat, and I always thought I'd kill it the second a coach wised up.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:If it is minutes, why the heck is the dude so mad? I mean, he is averaging 16 minutes per game. I can get the whole angle of being "spoiled" with the bigger minutes he got earlier, but back in October, did any of us think he would be averaging that many? Full squad, PJC healthy, Smith healthy, Trier not out... At that point he is pretty much only getting walk on minutes and a bit more. Last three games he has gotten 10, 11 and 18 minutes AFTER the return of PJC. He has only gotten under 10 minutes once the whole season (5 at CAL). Hope that is not the case really, that he isn't a role guy who cannot grasp that is all he is at this or other quality D1 programs.
I get where you're coming from, but I've almost never known a basketball player that didn't think he was better than the guy currently playing in front of him. I've always figured that on some level, Randy Brown was convinced that he would be as good as Michael Jordan if they just gave him more minutes and shots.

Yes, it would be unreasonable for Pinder to think he should get 20 mpg right now, but most players have brains that work like that. I had times where I sat, and I always thought I'd kill it the second a coach wised up.
I get that, and I was like that too but I guess I just reacted differently (ie: didn't let it get me down, strived to do well so I could change it, didn't let it affect my relationship with teammates). In the grand scheme though, tell me you never got an a loaded team and saw the big picture, that you were very talented but you are in a situation where many are very talented too. You saw the one or two guys you could compete with for minutes (Chance), but you weren't passing the big dogs (everyone else).
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

CSM mentioned today that pindah will likely see a bit more time on the floor thursday night, as he matches up well defensively against asu's smaller guard-oriented lineup
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dirtbags wrote:CSM mentioned today that pindah will likely see a bit more time on the floor thursday night, as he matches up well defensively against asu's smaller guard-oriented lineup

Also meaning 0 chance for Trier to return then.

Not sure why Pinder with very little lateral quickness can guard an ASU guard. Put Lauri out there, no way they can guard him. Shoot right over them.

Make them match up to us, not vice versa.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
dirtbags wrote:CSM mentioned today that pindah will likely see a bit more time on the floor thursday night, as he matches up well defensively against asu's smaller guard-oriented lineup

Not sure why Pinder with very little lateral quickness can guard an ASU guard. Put Lauri out there, no way they can guard him. Shoot right over them.

I'd rather have Pinder trying to match a smaller guy against ASU. You worry either he or Lauri would pick up fouls, and we need Lauri's offense. Let Pinder hand check a lot to match up, and if he gets in foul trouble, so be it.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Merkin wrote:

I think it has more to do with raising the kid's confidence. If AT doesn't make it back, we are going to need him contributing in March.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yeah the foul problems concern me too. Lauri can hang with those dudes, but he's likely not going to be on the floor as the first half is concluding and he's probably going to be playing with 4 fouls in crunch time on top of missing quite a bit of time in the 2nd.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:

Millerspeak never corresponds to Miller's real thinking and decisions.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Millerspeak never corresponds to Miller's real thinking and decisions.[/quote]

Yeah, I wondered if that would really happen or was said to throw off Bobby Boy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Millerspeak never corresponds to Miller's real thinking and decisions.
Yeah, I wondered if that would really happen or was said to throw off Bobby Boy.[/quote]

If Hurley is doing much gameplanning for Pinder, he's a worse coach than I thought.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote: Millerspeak never corresponds to Miller's real thinking and decisions.
Pretty much. I can recall him saying similar things about many previous players.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Pinder will receive plenty of minutes vs ASU... as will many of our walk-ons
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ASU will play a 4 guard line-up so expect our rotations to be a little different than usual. Pinder will play especially if LM picks up too many fouls.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:Millerspeak never corresponds to Miller's real thinking and decisions.
Yeah, I wondered if that would really happen or was said to throw off Bobby Boy.
If Hurley is doing much gameplanning for Pinder, he's a worse coach than I thought.[/quote]

Valid point!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just wanted to acknowledge his gorgeous outlet pass that led to an Alkins oop.
Right where I want to be.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

And he made another great pass when he caught the ball against the zone then turned and faced.

Trying to focus on the positives. :)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That was a really well-officiated game last night. A lot of crews from our earlier games would have inexplicably smacked Pinder with a foul penalty for that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That was an awesome play. Good to see Pinder giving us some solid minutes again.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Right now, Pinder is a spot contributor who can step into a larger role if needed. Hit it hard, hustle and be available when Dusan tweaks his ankle. That is, and always should be, his wheelhouse and role here.

As long as he stays mentally engaged, I like him in that role. The guys who only play 6-7 mpg matter for overall success too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Saw a tweet (forgot the source) that Pinder has the highest rebounds per minute played on the team.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Miller has Pinder start the 2nd half and Ristic is benched. A great move and I now wonder what Pinder's role will be going forward.

Interesting development
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Love Pinder with LM. Better defender and rebounder and it spreads the shots to the other 4 guys. He cleans up after
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

After Pinder missed the easy put back, then had a frustration foul on the ASU rebounder, making a 4 points swing, didn't think we would see Pinder again.

Had 4 rebounds in 25 minutes, same as Ristic in 15. That has to get better.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Miller has Pinder start the 2nd half and Ristic is benched. A great move and I now wonder what Pinder's role will be going forward.

Interesting development
Just no choice at this point. Ristic isn't a starter. I don't understand why this is a question anymore.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Longhorned wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Miller has Pinder start the 2nd half and Ristic is benched. A great move and I now wonder what Pinder's role will be going forward.

Interesting development
Just no choice at this point. Ristic isn't a starter. I don't understand why this is a question anymore.
I don't know what happened to Ristic. he seems to play great in stretches but then becomes a liability (same happened when he was backing up Zeus). He is lost right now. Shot isn't falling. poor decisions. Bad defense. Soft interior play. Pinder and Comanche are both outplaying him.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

If we are getting out rebounded by UCLA again, Pindah needs to see extended time tonight. Hopefully he can chill with the stupid fouls.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Dusan is a beast when he gets the ball on the block, but he is every stereotype about a 7 foot big. He seems to have a 3 second lapse from thought to body movement, perpetually in slow mo. There were pretty close together possessions last night where he was up top on a pick and roll and the ball handler came around the pick and Dusan was standing stacked behind the screen and didn't even take a step toward defense before the ball was in the net. It was like he saw what was coming, got in position, went "OK...step out on guard" and then his legs did it 2 seconds later. Then, the ball got on the floor and was like right next to him...if he was a video game, the ball would have been in his status circle. And he didn't even get bent over at the waste before 3 players came flying in.

It isn't a lack of effort IMO...his body just takes a while to start. Watch him when he needs to run after a possession...he lowers his head, his arms start to move, and then a second or two later, the legs start to lift. He would be a lottery pick if the NBA went to slow mo play...