2016-2017 Loss Post-Mortem Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: 2016-2017 Loss Post-Mortem Thread

Post by UAEebs86 »

R&F giving enfuego a run at worst poster on the board.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

UAEebs86 wrote:R&F giving enfuego a run at worst poster on the board.
Seriously. Why have one season thread, when you can have 2!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It's like binary code...but with 2s and 3s. Quadnary code?

R&F has ascended to a language of basketball beyond us.

(God help us if the committee adopts it with whatever other abacus-related maths set their seeds...)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I will say this: our game at Oregon was a #2. Just a massive, runny #2.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I will say this: our game at Oregon was a #2. Just a massive, runny #2.
I was thinking a big Thor hammer, fissure-causing, hemorrhoid ripping, 3 days dehydrated boulder kind of dump that leaves you shaken and possibly in need of counseling...

But same idea.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I will say this: our game at Oregon was a #2. Just a massive, runny #2.
I was thinking a big Thor hammer, fissure-causing, hemorrhoid ripping, 3 days dehydrated boulder kind of dump that leaves you shaken and possibly in need of counseling...

But same idea.
I think the metaphor depends on whether you are giving or receiving the #2.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:How is Dusan Hurt Us at 1 and Refs Hate Us at zero after Butler?

Also, this is the most unnecessarily complicated way to complain about losing. It took four days to come up with a numerical representation of Oregon making a buttload of threes and us have little to no offense.

We got taken to the woodshed. We play Stanford tomorrow.
nobody complaining here, just doing my own post mortem on where we struggle in losses so I can look back after the season

I hope the staff doesn't share your simplistic view of this game. seems you're blaming the offense woes on the players not making plays (read: not coaches responsibility) and the D on "golly Oregon just happened to make an extreme number of threes and score every other non-3 on dunks and layups" - instead of bothering to wonder why and maybe learn something?

that type of thinking earns you losing to the same team over and over every year in the Elite Eight
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Rise and fire is rainman.

Also anyway to get emojis on here?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:How is Dusan Hurt Us at 1 and Refs Hate Us at zero after Butler?

Also, this is the most unnecessarily complicated way to complain about losing. It took four days to come up with a numerical representation of Oregon making a buttload of threes and us have little to no offense.

We got taken to the woodshed. We play Stanford tomorrow.
nobody complaining here, just doing my own post mortem on where we struggle in losses so I can look back after the season

I hope the staff doesn't share your simplistic view of this game. seems you're blaming the offense woes on the players not making plays (read: not coaches responsibility) and the D on "golly Oregon just happened to make an extreme number of threes and score every other non-3 on dunks and layups" - instead of bothering to wonder why and maybe learn something?

that type of thinking earns you losing to the same team over and over every year in the Elite Eight
I feel like NCAA seeding also impacts what teams you could lose to in the Elite Eight, but I am a simple man.

I posted more detailed thoughts about Oregon in another thread. There is nothing about your random rating system of numbers that I feel puts any pressure on me to step up my game and provide detailed analysis here.

For instance: scoring fewer points than the opposition over 40 minutes is now a 3. Is that better, or does it need to be in a red font before it gets good.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Rise and fire is rainman.

Also anyway to get emojis on here?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I wonder how much Rise and Fire gets paid by the uofa to analyze these games for them.

OH. Wait. Nothing. So glad he's around to help us out.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:I wonder how much Rise and Fire gets paid by the uofa to analyze these games for them.

You get paid?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I wonder how much Rise and Fire gets paid by the uofa to analyze these games for them.

You get paid?
wat.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote: nobody complaining here, just doing my own post mortem on where we struggle in losses so I can look back after the season

I feel like NCAA seeding also impacts what teams you could lose to in the Elite Eight, but I am a simple man.

I posted more detailed thoughts about Oregon in another thread. There is nothing about your random rating system of numbers that I feel puts any pressure on me to step up my game and provide detailed analysis here.

For instance: scoring fewer points than the opposition over 40 minutes is now a 3. Is that better, or does it need to be in a red font before it gets good.
we've lost in the EE as a 1,2 and 4 seed, what seeding issue is there?

I read your thoughts on Ore, and you seemed surprised that AZ struggled against a zone. literally any honest fan that watches more than 3 AZ games under Miller knows that AZ will struggle vs a zone unless the threes drop, no matter if it's rpi #300 OreSt or RPI 3 Oregon. this has been a theme for the past 7 years or so have you noticed? it might have something to do with Millers weird phobia of any other defense than Man. just a hunch

this thread might help you pick up on these trends .... make sure you subscribe to it!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote: nobody complaining here, just doing my own post mortem on where we struggle in losses so I can look back after the season

we've lost in the EE as a 1,2 and 4 seed, what seeding issue is there?

I read your thoughts on Ore, and you seemed surprised that AZ struggled against a zone. literally any honest fan that watches more than 3 AZ games under Miller knows that AZ will struggle vs a zone unless the threes drop, no matter if it's rpi #300 OreSt or RPI 3 Oregon. this has been a theme for the past 7 years or so have you noticed? it might have something to do with Millers weird phobia of any other defense than Man. just a hunch

this thread might help you pick up on these trends .... make sure you subscribe to it!
Most NCAA tournament teams will lose to teams seeded in their region. You referenced us losing to the same team. I was laughing at the idea that losing to Wisky twice is a result of anything beyond regional seeding.

In that vein, I was completely unaware you are a fan of zone and tie all Arizona basketball results to zone in some way. For you see, I have been living under a rock and missed that you have a near sexual fascination with zone defense.

Congratulations. I didn't know what it would take to shake me out of my Oregon depression, but you forcing me to remember that your points are terrible because they disregard so many wins this year has actually done it.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

for the sake of the exercise, it must go on. I know how that pleases you spiff/odogg....but I think we're picking up on some trends here.

The record is now 26-4 having dropped to UCLA. RPI is 9, SOS is 29. We'll finish second in the standings barring the unthinkable in Tempe.
CSM apparently pinned the loss on primarily defensive rebounding (code for: lazy players). I might agree except I also know that players do have a finite amount of energy. So I look at UCLA standing around in a zone and keeping us to 4 points in 8 minutes expending MINIMAL energy. Then I see our guys busting their ass chasing Ball and Daddyball over screens, and our 7ft bigs rushing to and fro hedging out at 30 ft expending MAXIMUM energy and wonder: which team will be fresher down the stretch and have more in the tank to hustle after that rebound? Probably not the team that's gassed :idea: :idea: :idea:

Im also getting tired of the coaches never assuming any of the blame, shifting it all on the players, and treatment of the guys in general in our "Players Program". Cussing out a guy on tv in front of the world like was done to Tarc is not cool, We shouldn't coddle players, but we dont' need to embarrass them like that either.

Cumulative (UCLAgame issue in red)

DEFENSIVE ISSUES
1 - Poor defensive rebounding
2 - Defense not sufficiently nasty.

0 - Lauri or Ristic in foul trouble because of having to hedge 30ft from basket repeatedly
2 - Opposing player scores over and over because player assigned can't defend him and we have no answer or extra help
1 - Opponent uses screens effectively resulting in too many mismatches (PJC guarding a big, Dusan guarding a quick ____)

OFFENSIVE ISSUES
3 - Other team played a D we are not familiar with, particularly any type of zone this looks like a theme
2 - Needed time outs at the end but we already used them all
0 - Turnovers (>15)
1 - Missed FTs (<70%)
3 - Poor 3-point shooting (<30%) actual 29% and 2-10 in the second half where the game was lost
2 - Long stretches without a FG made (> 4min) - 2nd half had one of these, part of an 8 minute stretch where we scored 4 points
1 - Offense stalls because they're so tired from playing D
1 - Offense stalls because not enough fast break points, too much half court "grind" we had 6 fast break points, not enough
0 - Offense stalls when red-hot-shooting player is inexplicably removed from lineup

GENERAL ISSUES
1 - Trier mysterious absence
1 - PJC's turned ankle
1 - Stinkin Refs hate us
2 - Opponent over-performed or was underrated
2 - Its all Dusan's fault Poor Dusan, he earned a nationally televised Tarc style toungue-lashing
0 - Its all PJCs fault
3 - Chalk it up to freshman mistakes All three frosh went into their shell a bit, or something
1 - We played Oregon or Wisconsin again
1 - Playing on the road in the Pac12
0 - Larry Scott
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Tough morning for R&F.

Thoughts and prayers ... thoughts and prayers.
Right where I want to be.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What's the binary code of the ass kicking we gave the PAC the past 3 days?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:What's the binary code of the ass kicking we gave the PAC the past 3 days?
Look, we would have won by at least 17 ppg more if we played zone. Just look at how we compare to Syracuse and their 2-3.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:What's the binary code of the ass kicking we gave the PAC the past 3 days?
Look, we would have won by at least 17 ppg more if we played zone. Just look at how we compare to Syracuse and their 2-3.
Yeah, Oregon really struggled when we tried zone last night. They scored in what, less than 10 seconds?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah, Oregon really struggled when we tried zone last night. They scored in what, less than 10 seconds?
I don't think you understand the point of zone. Zone is so your players don't have to run too much and get tired.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

After some research, I found it.

01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01001100 01100001 01110010 01110010 01111001 00100000 01010011 01100011 01101111 01110100 01110100

(From here: https://binarytranslator.com/" target="_blank)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Here was my conversation with my wife at that moment:

"Is that a zo... Oh for fucks sake."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Should have played more zone so we could be in the NIT with Syracuse.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

There it is

lol
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I love how message board culture impacts games. I said the same thing when we went zone for that 9 seconds and they just ran baseline for the dunk. I believe i actually said "who needs to rise and fire when you can just dunk?" My wife looked at me with a questioned expression and i just said "not worth explaining".
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EVCat wrote:I love how message board culture impacts games. I said the same thing when we went zone for that 9 seconds and they just ran baseline for the dunk. I believe i actually said "who needs to rise and fire when you can just dunk?" My wife looked at me with a questioned expression and i just said "not worth explaining".

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Season over thanks to, you guessed it, a couple different zone defenses from Miller's understudy and a tightly wound team that shot 26% from 3. There were a handful of teams that use zone in the West region, and we lost to the first one we ran into.
Xavier, the 11 seed, is a team without single 5* recruit in their lineup. All 4* and 3*, but the sum is greater than the parts for Xavier apparently.

The final record stands at 32-5 having dropped to the 11 seed in the Sweet 16. RPI is who cares. We end the season failing to capitalize on a tailor-made west coast bracket and a rare Final Four in AZ. For the 6th straight year we exit the tournament without beating a higher seed, though we finally did that in the P12 tourney this year for the first time ever. Miller teams (like the man) are always tight as a drum in big games making us especially susceptible to zone in big games particularly. That's just not a very good combo for a 1 and done tournament!

Its surprising that the former assistant (Mack) paid $2 million less than CSM has the capacity to instruct his team to play more than one singular type of defense. Another surprising thing is given 5 days of preparation time there was apparently no particular plan to do anything to slow down Blueitt, who we knew coming in was absolutely on fire. No double, no box-1, nada. He scored a ridiculous 18 in the first half, keeping them in the game all by himself.

Problem Areas in Losses (Xavier game in red)

4X - Other team played a D we are not familiar with, particularly any type of zone This is an annual theme
4X - Poor 3-point shooting (<30%) actual 26% after a pathetic 18% first half. I thought for a moment after Vegas that this team might have enough pure shooting ability to overcome all the other self-imposed headwinds. I was wrong.

3X - Needed time outs at the end but we already used them all With a chance to tie or take the lead with 20 seconds to go, there we were with no timeouts - Miller had burned them all before the final minute of the game, resulting in an unnecessary ISO selfish 3 when all you need is a 2 to tie.
3X - Long stretches without a FG made (> 4min) - there were three stretches of 2:30 or greater, the most crucial of course being the last 3 mins of the game where we couldn't score and lost the game
3X - Defense not sufficiently nasty. Xavier shot 50% and almost 40% from 3.
3X - Opposing player scores over and over because player assigned can't defend him Blueitt who was red hot last weekend, burned our one-dimensional defense for 18 points in the 1H.
3X - Its all Dusan's fault Dusan got us off to a good start in the game, in the end though he airballed a crucial hook shot
3X - Chalk it up to freshman mistakes

2X - Offense stalls because they're so tired from playing D The offense was definitely stalled, players had to be tired chasing their man over endless screens and cuts
2X - Offense stalls because not enough fast break points, too much half court "grind" we had 2 fast break points, for a team with Trier, Allen, Markkanen, Rawle and Kobi that is a complete waste of their talent
2X - Opponent over-performed or was underrated

1X - Missed FTs (<70%) Great FT shooting 90%
1X - Opponent uses screens effectively resulting in too many mismatches
1X - Poor defensive rebounding
1X - Trier mysterious absence
1X - PJC's turned ankle
1X - Stinkin Refs hate us
1X - Its all PJCs fault PJC blew a fast break layup (blocked) and couldn't guard Marcura
1X - We played Oregon or Wisconsin again
1X - Playing on the road in the Pac12
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You're a miserable POS. Enjoy the loss.