'17/18 Polls

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: '17/18 Polls

Post by Longhorned »

The key to the polls is to pay attention only to the AP preseason poll, hope you're top 5 in that, and then ignore all other polls and fluctuations all season long. A top 5 ranking in the AP preseason poll is a demonstrated indicator of future success, with the caveat that you may still crash and burn.

By the time you get to conference play, look to statistical rankings. Being top 20 both in Kenpom AdjO and AdjD is a demonstrated indicator of future success, with the caveat that you may still crash and burn.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:The key to the polls is to pay attention only to the AP preseason poll, hope you're top 5 in that, and then ignore all other polls and fluctuations all season long. A top 5 ranking in the AP preseason poll is a demonstrated indicator of future success, with the caveat that you may still crash and burn.

By the time you get to conference play, look to statistical rankings. Being top 20 both in Kenpom AdjO and AdjD is a demonstrated indicator of future success, with the caveat that you may still crash and burn.
Co-signed
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:The key to the polls is to pay attention only to the AP preseason poll, hope you're top 5 in that, and then ignore all other polls and fluctuations all season long. A top 5 ranking in the AP preseason poll is a demonstrated indicator of future success, with the caveat that you may still crash and burn.

excellent post -- i'd add that being in the top 10 of the AP Preseason poll would be the only adjustment to the above.

well done, LH
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll" target="_blank

1. Duke (54)
2. Arizona (11)
3. Kansas
4. Michigan State
5. Villanova

10. USC
16. Texas A&M
18. Purdue
23. UCLA
25. Alabama
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Save for Villanova, that top 5 looks very 2001-ish.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I saw Andy Katz has us at 6th.

In more shocking news, Andy Katz somehow has a job in sports media.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:I saw Andy Katz has us at 6th.

There’s some residual naysaying going on with AZ right now, mainly based on how last season ended. I’m assuming, though, that Katz and others haven’t seen Ayton yet. If we go 3-0 this week, we’re right there with Duke for a claim to #1.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Beachcat97 wrote:

There’s some residual naysaying going on with AZ right now, mainly based on how last season ended. I’m assuming, though, that Katz and others haven’t seen Ayton yet. If we go 3-0 this week, we’re right there with Duke for a claim to #1.
http://collegepolltracker.com/basketbal ... dcats/2017" target="_blank

Chris Dachille from God knows where, has us at 8.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

btfd16 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

He's from Baltimore and his top 10 is:

1-Duke
2-Nova
3-Kansas
4-Wichita St
5-UNC
6-Mich St
7-USC
8-Arizona
9-Florida
10-Notre Dame
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Until Arizona plays someone of note and beat them, can't fault anyone for not putting Arizona in the top few spots.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:Until Arizona plays someone of note and beat them, can't fault anyone for not putting Arizona in the top few spots.
Apply that same condition to all teams and your top ten looks pretty funny.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Until Arizona plays someone of note and beat them, can't fault anyone for not putting Arizona in the top few spots.
yeah it's a weird logic for sure 10 days into the season...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
The guy who has us at #8 has Nova at #2 and our schedules are pretty much identical so far. So it can’t be that Arizona hasn’t played anyone.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
The guy who has us at #8 and Nova at #2 and our schedules are pretty much identical so far. So it can’t be that Arizona hasn’t played anyone.
I am sure part of it is the fbi

And he may jut have a huge bonecone for Nova and they were a #1 last year.

All the other 6 he put over U of A have better schedules thus far. If U of A takes care of business this week and this guy still puts U of A low then I will have an issue.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

thats bullshit
Chicat wrote:Apply that same condition to all teams and your top ten looks pretty funny.
and stupid
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:
thats bullshit
Chicat wrote:Apply that same condition to all teams and your top ten looks pretty funny.
and stupid
All three games U of A has played thus far have been on the PAC-12 network. No chance this guy has seen U of A yet. Way to go Larry Scott. You continue to disapoint everyone and fail at your job every chance you get.

highlights and reading box scores does not do U of A justice.

All the other teams he put above U of A have played games on national tv.
Last edited by PHXCATS on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

btfd16 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

He ranked Arizona nine preseason so I guess Arizona is moving up! Then moved Ariz to seven week 2 then moved Ariz back to eight this week.

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketbal ... pre-season" target="_blank

Hard hitting shooty hoops analysis going on in WBAL-TV in Baltimore, after weather!
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote:
All the other 6 he put over U of A have better schedules thus far. If U of A takes care of business this week and this guy still puts U of A low then I will have an issue.
and who the fuck exactly has Wichita State played? what about Villanova? and even to some extent UNC?

oh boy...............
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

it's odd that machina is suddenly going out of his way to demonize Larry Scott just in the last week or so after defending him for so long.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
and who the fuck exactly has Wichita State played? what about Villanova? and even to some extent UNC?

oh boy...............
Wichita State has played Cal
UNC has played Stanford

it is an exposure issue at this point.

If this continues after next week there will be cause for concern. Thanks again DB Larry Scott.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote:
All three games U of A has played thus far have been on the PAC-12 network. No chance this guy has seen U of A yet. Way to go Larry Scott. You continue to disapoint everyone and fail at your job every chance you get.
this is completely irrelivent to your initial post/point, which is what i responded to.

to it, i agree, Scott is a flaming idiot
PHXCATS wrote:highlights and reading box scores does not do U of A justice.
im not sure what the hell this means
PHXCATS wrote:All the other teams he put above U of A have played games on national tv.
again, this was not the initial post/point you made that i responded to
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote:
last night LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the poll was released yesterday morning

as the kids say -- i cant even with you, Machina
PHXCATS wrote:UNC has played Stanford
Stanford is gawd awful and i did quantify when including UNC
PHXCATS wrote:it is an exposure issue at this point.
once again, this was not your original point -- your shifting
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
this is completely irrelivent to your initial post/point, which is what i responded to.

to it, i agree, Scott is a flaming idiot
PHXCATS wrote:highlights and reading box scores does not do U of A justice.
im not sure what the hell this means
PHXCATS wrote:All the other teams he put above U of A have played games on national tv.
again, this was not the initial post/point you made that i responded to
While not much better, all except Nova this guy put above U of A have better schedules to date. That changes this week.

The Justice comment means watching U of A so far this year is damn impressive and Miller and his team of coaches have done an outstanding job getting this roster, cutting through the BS and injuries, and preparing this team. There are a few not so bright spots but they will be corrected soon no doubt. Point is, when you see Arizona's offense on TV or in person, it is very very impressive. You cannot be that impressed just be looking at stats, just cant. U of A is far better than that.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Machina, Wichita State and UNC had not played either of the teams you mention when the poll was released -- your argument about better schedules justifying the ranking makes no sense.

under that premise, Arizona would get credit for the games they are GOING to play this week, and subsequently ever week thereafter.

the rankings are made to judge the teams at that moment, not who they may play and how they may fair.

good fucking lord
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote:

While not much better, all except Nova this guy put above U of A have better schedules to date.
when the voting occurred, on Sunday night, that wasnt the case -- so no, youre wrong as it relates to understanding and justifying the ranking based on who the teams ranked above Arizona have played and beaten vs Arizona's schedule up to this point.

the AP pollsters do not account for who a team will play and may or may not lose to in the upcoming week(s).
PHXCATS wrote:That changes this week.
yes, for next weeks ranking -- as is the same for Wichita Sate and UNC who PLAYED THEIR GAMES YOURE REFERENCING LAST FUCKING NIGHT...after this weeks poll was released.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

If an ACC or Big East team was rolling teams by 30 without their third best player, those East Coast writers would be talking about how awesome that team was going to be when they got him back and giving them the benefit of the doubt in the rankings.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We're solidly at #2. Hard to be too upset about that so early in the season. Even these idiots ranking us outside the top 3 get a pass for now. If we go 3-0 this week, we've got a claim on #1. So just take care of business.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We still got 11 first place votes despite Duke taking down Michigan State shorthanded. I'm not feeling disrespected at this point. Just win, baby!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

You cannot watch MSU and Kansas right now, along with Arizona, and say that the former two are better than the latter. No. Just no. Absolutely no.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
97cats wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

oh boy...............
UNC has played Stanford

If this continues after next week there will be cause for concern. Thanks again DB Larry Scott.
Are you implying that Cal is a worthy opponent? Cal is a dumpster fire and if you are privileged enough to have a vote in a national poll you should know that. It's not only possible, it's downright likely Cal will go 0-18 this season in the Pac. And Stanford is without two starters as well. Care to roll again?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
97cats wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

oh boy...............
UNC has played Stanford

Are you implying that Cal is a worthy opponent? Cal is a dumpster fire and if you are privileged enough to have a vote in a national poll you should know that. It's not only possible, it's downright likely Cal will go 0-18 this season in the Pac. And Stanford is without two starters as well. Care to roll again?
Worthy no, but better than NAU, UMBC and CSB
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
97cats wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

oh boy...............
UNC has played Stanford

Worthy no, but better than NAU, UMBC and CSB
CS Bakersfield just went to the NIT final four last year. They may very well win the WAC. I don't think you have any idea how bad Cal is this year. They'll have their hands full with Chaminade and will be lucky to get out of Maui with one win.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

zonagrad wrote:
You are reaching BIG TIME with this. No, they're not good. But they're not nearly as bad as you make them out to be. 0-18 in the Pac (which is going to be a SHITTTTTTY conference this year) is likely? You can't possibly believe that and, if you do, turn in your college basketball fan card immediately because you're lost.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Jefe wrote:

Chris Dachille
WBAL-TV, Baltimore
Follow @name on Twitter @twitter

He really must make up the Pac-12 games in his mind this year because he can't put AZ #8 if he has actually seen the Dynamic Duo of Trier/Ayton this year.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

dcZONAfan wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
You are reaching BIG TIME with this. No, they're not good. But they're not nearly as bad as you make them out to be. 0-18 in the Pac (which is going to be a SHITTTTTTY conference this year) is likely? You can't possibly believe that and, if you do, turn in your college basketball fan card immediately because you're lost.
Cal just lost to Chaminade 96-72. I don't think he's too far off.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Cal is terrible. I watched the Chaminade game. Their guys seem completely checked out. And it's only November!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Their entire athletic department should just shut down. And probably would, if it wasn’t for the debt.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZCatGirl wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Cal just lost to Chaminade 96-72. I don't think he's too far off.
I didn't believe you.. so I went and checked the score. Good Lord. They've lost to VCU, UC Riverside and chaminade
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Statfreak77 wrote:You cannot watch MSU and Kansas right now, along with Arizona, and say that the former two are better than the latter. No. Just no. Absolutely no.
Yes. Just yes. Absolutely yes.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

dcZONAfan wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
I'm lost? Tell me again how Cal is a worthy opponent after not only losing but getting blown out by a Division II school. Care to revise your statement or are you going to just ignore this thread and move on to another topic?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

zonagrad wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
I'm lost? Tell me again how Cal is a worthy opponent after not only losing but getting blown out by a Division II school. Care to revise your statement or are you going to just ignore this thread and move on to another topic?
No matter how right you are about Cal being shit (which you are), my point still stands. It's absurd to think they will lose 18 straight conference games. If you think that, I think you are very wrong. I will expect you to come here when they poop their way to a few home wins against Washington and admit as much.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

dcZONAfan wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
No matter how right you are about Cal being shit (which you are), my point still stands. It's absurd to think they will lose 18 straight conference games. If you think that, I think you are very wrong. I will expect you to come here when they poop their way to a few home wins against Washington and admit as much.

I'll be happy to offer you an olive branch should Cal stumble its way to a conference win or two. You said they were a worthy opponent. Now you've backpedaled and said they're shit. Which they are. Which is it? Worthy or shit? All I said was I thought likely they would go winless in the Pac. When you lose by 20+ points to a Division II school I think the prospects are reasonable that you could go winless in conference play. I'll say it again for the record, Cal is NOT a worthy opponent as you posted. So. You. Were. Wrong.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Even the '82-'83 Cats (the Ben Lindsey year) won a conference game and they were probably the worst team I've seen in my days following the conference.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

zonagrad wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

I'll be happy to offer you an olive branch should Cal stumble its way to a conference win or two. You said they were a worthy opponent. Now you've backpedaled and said they're shit. Which they are. Which is it? Worthy or shit? All I said was I thought likely they would go winless in the Pac. When you lose by 20+ points to a Division II school I think the prospects are reasonable that you could go winless in conference play. I'll say it again for the record, Cal is NOT a worthy opponent as you posted. So. You. Were. Wrong.
Cal went 0-18 in the Pac in 1995. And USC, Wazzu, and Oregon State have all gone 1-17 a few times. It's not unchartered territory. Cal's only saving grace this year is that both Washington schools are terrible and will provide an opportunity for a win.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

There it is. Unranked. First time in 31 years a team went from top 2 to unranked in a week.

ASU is #20.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Way to go players and coaches. Way to make history here.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

We did think this year was going to be record setting.

Just not in that direction.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:Way to go players and coaches. Way to make history here.
Don't be a dick.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

scumdevils86 wrote:There it is. Unranked. First time in 31 years a team went from top 2 to unranked in a week.

ASU is #20.
Yeah...that's tough to digest.

But we'll just keep doing what we're doing and expect different results.