I'm done with college basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

DiehardDave37

Re: I'm done with college basketball

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Hey ol' TTT buddy when I was WV Wildcat. I am sorry that you missed the 2001 Wildcats. I thought that team had the prototypical player at every position. I almost abandoned CBB then, thinking that I don't understand it enough to follow it if my "perfect" team could not win it. Ayton has convinced me to leave. If I can't win with him, a preseason All American, the winningist player in the program, a 4th year PG and Alkins, then I need to move on to something I can comprehend.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Hey ol' TTT buddy when I was WV Wildcat. I am sorry that you missed the 2001 Wildcats. I thought that team had the prototypical player at every position. I almost abandoned CBB then, thinking that I don't understand it enough to follow it if my "perfect" team could not win it. Ayton has convinced me to leave. If I can't win with him, a preseason All American, the winningist player in the program, a 4th year PG and Alkins, then I need to move on to something I can comprehend.
Dave, every top program has experienced this, some many times. Kansas, UK, Duke, UNC...they've all had loaded, sure-fire teams fall short not just of a title but even the FF.

I agree: seeing Ayton lose in the first round is a really, really tough pill. But we're not the only program this has happened to. What we know, perhaps ironically, is that reaching the FF does not require an Ayton-caliber player. AZ's last FF team '01 did not have a player anywhere near as good as Ayton, for instance.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Another way I've come to dread College Basketball: Does any sports have a more loathsome cast of contenders or rotation of champions? North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, UCONN, Kansas, UCLA, Syracuse, Michigan St? All just dreadful programs to try to care about once your own program is bounced. Villanova is about the only championship winning team I felt glad for.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

To the people who hate the NBA, I just find it so difficult to understand with how exciting many of these current playoff games have been. Just some great basketball being played. I am a die hard Lakers fan but still have really enjoyed many of these games so far. Just tough for me to understand the NBA hate
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Newportcat wrote:To the people who hate the NBA, I just find it so difficult to understand with how exciting many of these current playoff games have been. Just some great basketball being played. I am a die hard Lakers fan but still have really enjoyed many of these games so far. Just tough for me to understand the NBA hate
Hate? Not me. Just not interested. Same goes for the NFL, NHL, and MLB. Totally meh - all of them. I'll watch some NBA title games if the surfs not up, but only if.

The superbowl is an exception because it is an entertaining spectacle in all aspects - the game, the ads, and halftime (usually). The superbowl is great entertainment, but it is the exception of pro sports for me. This year, I really enjoyed watching Nick and the Iggles beat that outfit up north.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

I only follow the 76ers because of TJ and even though he plays small minutes, I find that playoff basketball is terrific. Team defense is better than I expected as the effort that these men put out is off the charts. 76ers are fun to watch offensively too! I hate to say it but I am begining to be a fan.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ALASKACAT wrote:I only follow the 76ers because of TJ and even though he plays small minutes, I find that playoff basketball is terrific. Team defense is better than I expected as the effort that these men put out is off the charts. 76ers are fun to watch offensively too! I hate to say it but I am begining to be a fan.
Me too, Alaska, I follow the 76ers because of TJ, the Warriers because it's Steve's team and has Iggy.

But give up CBB, never. I married the Bear Down concept as a competitor many moons ago and will never, ever give up the Cats. Nope--never.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

MrMeow wrote:
Newportcat wrote:To the people who hate the NBA, I just find it so difficult to understand with how exciting many of these current playoff games have been. Just some great basketball being played. I am a die hard Lakers fan but still have really enjoyed many of these games so far. Just tough for me to understand the NBA hate
Hate? Not me. Just not interested. Same goes for the NFL, NHL, and MLB. Totally meh - all of them. I'll watch some NBA title games if the surfs not up, but only if.

The superbowl is an exception because it is an entertaining spectacle in all aspects - the game, the ads, and halftime (usually). The superbowl is great entertainment, but it is the exception of pro sports for me. This year, I really enjoyed watching Nick and the Iggles beat that outfit up north.
This point of view makes sense, if you happen to dislike the sport of baseball, basketball, hockey, and football. Otherwise I simply can't understand why you don't enjoy watching athletes at the pinnacle of their sport. You don't have to care about them like you do the players who represent your Alma mater, I get that. But the skill level is so insanely impressive in the pros that I feel bad for you if you don't at least appreciate and enjoy it
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

ALASKACAT wrote:I only follow the 76ers because of TJ and even though he plays small minutes, I find that playoff basketball is terrific. Team defense is better than I expected as the effort that these men put out is off the charts. 76ers are fun to watch offensively too! I hate to say it but I am begining to be a fan.
But Ben Simmons didn't take LSU to the NCAA tournament!

NBA is a damn good product these days.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

dcZONAfan wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

This point of view makes sense, if you happen to dislike the sport of baseball, basketball, hockey, and football. Otherwise I simply can't understand why you don't enjoy watching athletes at the pinnacle of their sport. You don't have to care about them like you do the players who represent your Alma mater, I get that. But the skill level is so insanely impressive in the pros that I feel bad for you if you don't at least appreciate and enjoy it
No need for pity, dc. You may want to get used to the idea of what interests you may not interest others.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I dont follow or care any players or teams besides the Suns in the NBA but I watch the playoffs and it has been fun to watch so far.

I dont really even care for any of the players on my teams. Although I do recognize the greatness of their play and what they do off the field for 3 people in the valley right now. Booker, Fitzgerald and Bradley.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

The only time I watch pro sports is playoff/major time... That's when I feel you get 100 percent commitment. When I watch an NBA game in December, I feel like a get a really athletic exhibition. The environment in pro sports may be "pure" in the business sense but the atmosphere is so sterile and boring.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:The environment in pro sports may be "pure" in the business sense but the atmosphere is so sterile and boring.
Ha. Only thing I can say to that is try attending games in Boston. You won't get that feeling
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

SabinoDrifter wrote:

Simmons bailed on the NIT as well, but he has been phenomenal as a rookie point guard and would be insane if he had any kind of jump shot. 76er's are so fun to watch, that even the wife is watching the entire game. Before, I would record the game and fast forward to the T. J. segments and didn't even care about the score (Philadelphia only won ten games two years ago), now during these playoffs we are watching the entire game regardless of T J's playing time.

p.s. We take perverse pleasure during the Wendy’s Frosty Freeze Out portion of the game.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

ALASKACAT wrote:
SabinoDrifter wrote:

Simmons bailed on the NIT as well, but he has been phenomenal as a rookie point guard and would be insane if he had any kind of jump shot. 76er's are so fun to watch, that even the wife is watching the entire game. Before, I would record the game and fast forward to the T. J. segments and didn't even care about the score (Philadelphia only won ten games two years ago), now during these playoffs we are watching the entire game regardless of T J's playing time.

p.s. We take perverse pleasure during the Wendy’s Frosty Freeze Out portion of the game.
Sorry, was being sarcastic about the NCAA tournament thing. I'm from Pennsylvania and a Sixers fan. They're fun as hell.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

EOCT wrote:
But give up CBB, never. I married the Bear Down concept as a competitor many moons ago and will never, ever give up the Cats. Nope--never.
There's a way to give up college basketball without giving up the Wildcats. I ONLY pay attention to the Wildcats these days, and sometimes that naturally draws me into knowing larger parts of college basketball, but in general it's been a surprising relief to slowly discard any following of ACC, Big East, and Big Ten basketball.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Watching the NBA at a bar right now and yep...it's just as unwatchable as ever. No defense at all. Just showboating stars like Harden with no flow or team ball whatsoever. And this is the conference finals... can't imagine how bad the regular season is.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

el oh el

The people who say there is no defense at all have no idea what to even look for on defense. Boston put on a clinic the entire series, including the last two games against the Cavs. The Warriors go absolutely bat shit crazy on defense with their switch ability, plus Draymond's exceptionalism on that end.

If you are missing it, its because you have no idea what you are watching.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alright. Just disagree is all. It looks sloppy. It just reconfirmed to me why I haven't watched games in years. I watched religiously in the 90s and early to mid 00s
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:el oh el

The people who say there is no defense at all have no idea what to even look for on defense. Boston put on a clinic the entire series, including the last two games against the Cavs. The Warriors go absolutely bat shit crazy on defense with their switch ability, plus Draymond's exceptionalism on that end.

If you are missing it, its because you have no idea what you are watching.
The NBA is awesome right now. Warriors/Rockets is an epic matchup and LeBron going solo vs Boston is pretty good drama too. The only issue is Rockets/Warriors has been 2 games with one team having a decided advantage each game. It isn't bad D, it's maybe the greatest offensive matchup ever.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Just kidding NBA is awful

Cavs vs Warriors for the fourth time in a row is pathetic
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Newportcat wrote:Just kidding NBA is awful

One of the best teams ever assembled vs one of the five best players of all time - we could do worse.

Rockets and Celtics look poised to take over their conferences next season. Jazz and Sixers on the rise in each. Plus we'll have the nuttiest free agency this summer to mix things up.

NBA is in a good place.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Do you want Spurs-Knicks or Spurs-Nets again?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Best team vs best player. It's not a bad matchup.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

It'll definitely get good ratings again, that's sure.

This said, the respective Game 7's in the Conference Finals were a joke and hopefully not a harbinger of how the NBA will continue to look going forward post-LeBron -- a bunch of teams trying to channel the Warriors but basically fielding squads full of chuckers. Thank goodness the Warriors finally got their act together on the road in the 2nd half to sort of salvage what was really awful basketball by all four teams for the majority of those two games and really by the road teams in most of those two series. Still don't understand why so many pundits are calling this one of the best post-seasons in recent NBA history. Every other game was a 20-point+ blowout.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Pop McKale wrote:It'll definitely get good ratings again, that's sure.

This said, the respective Game 7's in the Conference Finals were a joke and hopefully not a harbinger of how the NBA will continue to look going forward post-LeBron -- a bunch of teams trying to channel the Warriors but basically fielding squads full of chuckers. Thank goodness the Warriors finally got their act together on the road in the 2nd half to sort of salvage what was really awful basketball by all four teams for the majority of those two games and really by the road teams in most of those two series. Still don't understand why so many pundits are calling this one of the best post-seasons in recent NBA history. Every other game was a 20-point+ blowout.
I haven't seen that description from the pundits but I also don't watch or listen to many pundits. 24/7 news cycle and omnichannel media requires having "SOMETHING TO SAY" at all times, depth and certainty be damned.

Very much agree though re: the Game 7s. The constant three point chucking (40 attempts a game???) is ridiculous and when it doesn't drop, unwatchable.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

You must be watching different game. The Warriors are fantastic. Great defense, passes, back door cuts, assists, unselfish basketball. And the greatest shooter of all time. Plus Iggy. Colleges, if they want to win, will have to start playing this way, too.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

psiclist23 wrote:You must be watching different game. The Warriors are fantastic. Great defense, passes, back door cuts, assists, unselfish basketball. And the greatest shooter of all time. Plus Iggy. Colleges, if they want to win, will have to start playing this way, too.
We were talking about the Celtics and the Rockets in their respective game 7 performances.