Post by teemackdee »

ASUHATER! wrote:Since when is machina an insider
Attachments
thatsthejoke.png
thatsthejoke.png (71.09 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
gumby

Re: Brandon Ashley

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I saw PJC over the weekend and he looked constipated.
He was really short with me. Worried.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I think we are missing the point of all this...I mean, big picture...when was the last time anyone saw this team play? March? I mean, come on now...do we even have a team anymore?

If we had a team, I would think we would see them playing. They haven't played an actual game since March...I'm worried that we don't even have a team, coach, or program anymore.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller talks Ashley, expectations
Updated: September 24, 2014, 5:10 PM E

Arizona coach Sean Miller said the Wildcats will be cautious with Brandon Ashley and may give him an extra day off from practice in the coming months as he returns from a broken foot that sidelined him for the final 16 games of last season.

"Brandon is 100 percent cleared,'' Miller said on the ESPNU college basketball podcast Wednesday.

The Wildcats, though, wanted to wait until the seven-month threshold from the date of surgery ended to ensure no setbacks.

"If you watch him in practice he runs like nothing happened,'' Miller said of Ashley, who averaged 11.5 points and 5.8 rebounds in 22 games last season as a sophomore. "It's his third year for us as a starter ... He's one of our natural leaders. We're optimistic he'll have a big season for us.''

Miller is embracing the No. 1 prediction given to the Wildcats by the Sporting News preseason magazine and didn't shy away from the possibility that the team will have a chance to compete for the national title.

"It's always flattering to be called No. 1, and we have a chance to be very good,'' he said.

Miller said the experience in Ashley, junior center Kaleb Tarczewski, junior guard Gabe York and fifth-year senior point guard T.J. McConnell as well as the return of sophomore Rondae Hollis-Jefferson gives the Wildcats the necessary experience to make a run. The infusion of heralded freshmen forward Stanley Johnson, expected to be a replacement for Aaron Gordon, and junior college transfer guard Kadeem Allen allow the Wildcats the necessary balance.

"We've added young talent, and now it's up to us and our team to come together,'' Miller said. "One of our great strengths was our team chemistry last year. We know what it looks like and we have to re-establish it again.''

Miller said the Wildcats have twice "knocked on the door" of getting to the Final Four in his five years as coach, losing to UConn in the 2011 Elite Eight and then to Wisconsin in the same round last March.

"We're hungry to break through,'' Miller said. "No one has to remind us that we want to be in the Final Four. We have a team and no question if things line up maybe we can be that team. We're a long way from there, but if we have the team chemistry, and hopefully have the health and good fortune then we'll have a very good season.''

Arizona will change itself again in the nonconference schedule by playing two true road games for the second straight season. Arizona was at Michigan and at San Diego State last season -- winning both. Michigan returns the game this season to Tucson, while the Wildcats go to UNLV and to UTEP. That's in addition to hosting likely top 15 team Gonzaga as well as playing in the Maui Invitational (with San Diego State and Pittsburgh the other potential top 25 teams in the field).

"I do believe programs that are no longer playing true road games will be severely penalized when it comes time to the NCAA tournament, whether it's the seed they get or making it or not making it,'' Miller said. "There are just way too many good teams and so much parity that you can't play games with the nonconference schedule.''

Miller said he hasn't been told directly to play two true road games but said those games prepare a team for conference play by being in hostile environments.

"It's what college basketball always has been,'' he said. "We want to be that team that is evaluated in March that is doing it the right way.''

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... roken-foot
gumby

Post by gumby »

Remembering when "true road game" wasn't a thing. Two of them? Whoa! Slow down, Cats!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Really good video on his rehab:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11815979

That underwater treadmill is cool.

Also got a cover:

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chad Ford:
Arizona is the main attraction here in Maui. There are four players on the Wildcats who are potential first-round prospects. How have they fared?

Brandon Ashley is the other Arizona player who has gotten looks as a potential first-rounder in the past. An injury wiped out those hopes last year, but Ashley is back and having a solid start to the year for Arizona. He's athletic and can stretch the floor. However he really appears to be a tweener. He has not been rebounding the ball and while he can shoot it with range, he's 0-4 from beyond the arc this year.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... tockWatch_
gumby

Post by gumby »

Please don't do that foul again. Thanks. I was thinking the Ashley-O'Brien matchup would be big. But both were pretty quiet.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Thought bash had a three in the first game or two? That foul almost cost me an iphone. He's prone to the boneheaded plays and mental lapses.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Ashley's pretty damn good though even when he's kinda silent or seems silent. Having his long arms out there for defense and rebounding makes me feel good. Always gonna chip in at least 8 points or so too.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Though offensively he was silent, Ashley did have a few good rebounds down the stretch.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Please don't do that foul again. Thanks. I was thinking the Ashley-O'Brien matchup would be big. But both were pretty quiet.
I have to think that Ashley is still rounding back into game shape and that fatigue was a factor playing three games in three days.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

From what i could tell played really solid D on O'Brien last night
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Right now Ashley is the guy that I don't always notice when he's on the floor, buy i certainly feel something is missing when he isn't on the floor. He doesn't make many mistakes. He hits his free throws and plays good D. So he isn't really standing out positively or negatively, yet when he's out it's very noticeable.

I think he got as many assists from Gordon as from McConnell last year. So that's a big part of it. Gordon would draw the double team and kick it to Ashley for a flush.

Damn I miss Gordon. I bet Ashley does too.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ashley on Wiltjer. Should be fun.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Brandon Ashley’s versatility once again a key factor for No. 3 Arizona

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... 3-arizona/
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Just think...he's going to get even better.

The scary thing?

He still hasn’t reached the point where he was prior to suffering the injury that led to his sophomore season ending prematurely.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

How is this not posted in this thread yet?

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209858516
Arizona forward Brandon Ashley was one of 25 players from across the nation named to the Lute Olson National Player of the Year Award mid-season watch list on Wednesday
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I'll be glad when the game @ Cal is over......ugghhhh, the 'scene of the crime' last year. Not really all that superstitious but I can still vividly recall the injury. Let's just put this one in the bag asap and get back home.

BTFD Bash!!!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:How is this not posted in this thread yet?

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209858516
Arizona forward Brandon Ashley was one of 25 players from across the nation named to the Lute Olson National Player of the Year Award mid-season watch list on Wednesday
Thanks POM....I'm embarassed to admit I didn't know about this award. I love the fact that the player must have a minimum of 2 years played though! No 'one and done's' allowed :-)
billk78

Post by billk78 »

The refs really seem to hate Brandon Ashley. He gets the most tricky tack foul calls of anyone on the team. He does complain a lot when he gets called, so maybe that's why they just keep sticking it to him.

Aside from that, does anyone else have the feeling he may not be fully over his injury? Right now I'm only seeing a Bash taking baseline jumpers. What happened to his post-up game? Before the injury he was so quick with the ball on the inside. I just don't see that as much. Hopefully they just need him more on the perimeter and he's feeling okay....but Id prefer to see him go back to the inside game more.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

One of those calls was totally bull...t. It seem to take him out of his game rhythm.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

billk78 wrote:The refs really seem to hate Brandon Ashley. He gets the most tricky tack foul calls of anyone on the team. He does complain a lot when he gets called, so maybe that's why they just keep sticking it to him.

Aside from that, does anyone else have the feeling he may not be fully over his injury? Right now I'm only seeing a Bash taking baseline jumpers. What happened to his post-up game? Before the injury he was so quick with the ball on the inside. I just don't see that as much. Hopefully they just need him more on the perimeter and he's feeling okay....but Id prefer to see him go back to the inside game more.
He didn't even make the top 100 list at draft express (Zeus is #91). Definitely something isn't right.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

At first I thought maybe he was feeling the pressure of coming off an injury and proving to NBA scouts he could play. Seemed like maybe he was trying too hard to show off a jumpshot and got away from his true strengths. But Im wondering if there's something more to it. He has flashed some amazing plays and talent, but the consistency just isn't there. Like I said, I have to wonder if he isn't completely healed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Fouls seemed ticky tack both games but the refs were consistently calling those fouls on everyone. Brandon and Kaleb need to adjust when that happens.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yes, that third one on Kaleb, it was like the ref didn't want to call it. But he just kept bumping. Ease up on the hedge bumps, guys.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Hell of a game by Ashley tonight.

It seems like BAsh has been over-shadowed by almost everyone on the Cats this year. It's great to see him him getting some love!

Would have been blown out without him tonight
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Thank god for Ashley
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Brandon Mother Fucking Ashley!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This game reminded me of how Bash played in his last high school basketball game. Demanded the ball and when he didn't get it he exerted his will over his opponent on the block and got it anyway. Just a motherfuckin BEAST tonight.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've said it before, but when Ashley plays like this, he's like lobster thermidor without the thermidor.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Forgot who said it, but if BAsh had Aaron Gordon't motor he would be a lottery pick.

In any event, BAsh just put himself back on the charts.

Unlike Tarczewski.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

He played pretty solid defense tonight too.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

saved our asses tonight. he has looked hungry as of late, pretty obvious why and what is at stake, but hey, whatever motivates him to play to his capability I am cool with.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Muehlebach was commenting tonight that Zeus is ineffective against zone defense. We pulled away with him out tonight. He should be better against either OU or 'tah.
gumby

Post by gumby »

His finest game as a Wildcat. Whew!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

billk78 wrote:The refs really seem to hate Brandon Ashley. He gets the most tricky tack foul calls of anyone on the team. He does complain a lot when he gets called, so maybe that's why they just keep sticking it to him.

Never saw this when it was posted, but I could not disagree more. I think Ashley "complains" less than any
One on the team when he is fouled. He usually laughs, shakes his head, and walks away. More like "you have got to be f***ing kidding me....".

I absolutely love that kid. Like Solomon and the Commisioner, he is exceptionally thoughtful and articulate. Those 3 will make a nice living in front of the camera when they are finished playing, should they so choose.
gumby

Post by gumby »

MVP! Think he's fully recovered.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He's just playing with so much confidence right now
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Really nice to see him re=emerge. He has been a great Cat throughout at Arizona.
Super Articulate and intelligent.
Will miss him.
Rondae, Stanley, and Bash. 3 NBAer's no doubt about it.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Brandon Ashley's peaking at the right time. Smooth play, love his shot selection. His on court confidence has really improved. Must be a nightmare for other teams.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 6ea01.html
Stat: .711. Ashley’s shooting percentage the last five games.
what an insane shooting percentage over a span of games.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 6ea01.html
Stat: .711. Ashley’s shooting percentage the last five games.
what an insane shooting percentage over a span of games.
Wasn't it the Cal fans saying he can't shoot?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Cal fans say a lot of stupid shit for a fanbase that is supposedly so smart.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »