Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by gumby »

Main Event wrote:A smaller Landen Lucas really is a ban worthy comment
Hang on, I have to Google that name.
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:What's even more impressive is that he's obviously watched the new pieces at Cal, Oregon and UCLA, too. Thus, finding those teams to be superior.
The fact that he's scouted WSU is what really impresses me.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:What's even more impressive is that he's obviously watched the new pieces at Cal, Oregon and UCLA, too. Thus, finding those teams to be superior.
Why not? I live in the midwest and I've been scouting Iowa State, Texas, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State to determine how Kansas will fare against them. I'm about to go post my prediction on Kansas's message boards.
:lol:
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Chicat wrote:
Easy cowboy. Didn't UA lose to ASU last year?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Easy cowboy. Didn't UA lose to ASU last year?
You would know.

And if you know definitively how UA will match up with the rest of the PAC at this point in the pre-season then you're a far more informed Arizona fan than I am. Kudos Superfan!!!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Is Fuego the only troll left on the boards...?

Oh wait, we still have Scummy Dick. And ASUhater.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Troll? He's a researcher.
gumby

Post by gumby »

From last year.
enfuego wrote:
Puerco wrote:Battle tested. In every game.
Are you talking about Arizona's performance against UCLA last night? This is Arizona's year to do something, because next year is a rebuilding year. You lose McConnell to the business world, Tarczewski to Europe, Ashley to the NBDL, and Jefferson and Johnson to the NBA. I don't care who your incoming class is that is a lot of experience to replace.
Stinkin genius.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:From last year.
enfuego wrote:
Puerco wrote:Battle tested. In every game.
Are you talking about Arizona's performance against UCLA last night? This is Arizona's year to do something, because next year is a rebuilding year. You lose McConnell to the business world, Tarczewski to Europe, Ashley to the NBDL, and Jefferson and Johnson to the NBA. I don't care who your incoming class is that is a lot of experience to replace.
Stinkin genius.
Well, he was kind of right, but TJ's about to make a whole lot more than a lot of Executive VPs while taking care of business.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Anyone know when to expect season tickets in the mail? November 7 is still right around the corner and I'm not sure if I should be concerned they got put into the wrong mailbox or not.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The team delivered tickets to the fancy fans last night, probably get them by Friday. I dont know why they were so late this year
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

should be getting them soon. would say by end of week.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

KenPom ranks Wildcats 6th in his preseason rankings
By David Potts @dpottzzz on Oct 26, 2015, 7:00p

This week, Ken Pomeroy released his 2016 Preseason Rankings for college basketball. To my surprise, Arizona is one of KenPom's top ranked teams at No. 6 overall. This is higher than I expected, particularly when he ranks another Pac-12 contender, the California Golden Bears, No. 47. While I love seeing Arizona ranked so high, I wondered why the Arizona Wildcats would be ranked higher in KenPom's system(#6) than they are in the coaches' poll (10th).

The discrepancy probably lies in how KenPom's system constructs preseason rankings. As Pomeroy explained back in 2013, his preseason rankings are computed by adding "team baseline + personnel." Arizona is going to have a high baseline considering how well the team has played in recent years, so I suspect Arizona ranked very well in that category.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/2015/10/26 ... n-rankings" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona's Ryan Anderson was named the No. 8 power forward in college basketball, according to Sporting News. (He'll get a chance to prove he's even better on Dec. 5 in Spokane, because Gonzaga has two guys ranked ahead of him...)

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 089cb.html" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Can it be March already, feel like regular season in college basketball now is just worthless foreplay
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote:Can it be March already, feel like regular season in college basketball now is just worthless foreplay
No way, man. Regular season hoops is always good. Love the tourneys and non-conference matchups. And I love Miller's Pac dominance in recent years. Everyone's chasing us. Feels good.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

March Madness is the best postseason of any sport, pro or college, but the regular season is great too. I take it over any professional or college regular season, but im sure some football fans will disagree. Its awesome watching the new faces and young guys grow through the season too, and watching things unfold so u can speculate about what run your team is going to do come March. If it's foreplay, its Sophia Vergara putting her double d's in your face while playing with your meat. An early exit is like her climbing on and blowing your load in 30 seconds and she walks out mad
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

IMHO College football regular season is a million times better then regular season college basketball. Each game is very important to the playoff picture, bowls, etc.

Especially now, the only thing Miller has left to accomplish is taking us to a Final Four. I am just a lot less excited then I used to be for the regular season

Just me and might feel different if I lived in Tucson and could go to games live
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Newportcat wrote:Can it be March already, feel like regular season in college basketball now is just worthless foreplay

I don't.

I buy into "Honor the Process" in a big way. That includes a critical building, developmental process from start to finish. Delicious, from start to finish. Growth, growth, hiccup, growth, growth; yeah, success hopefully.

I'd only stop feeling this way if we didn't consistently have a leave-it-on-the-floor team. Coach Miller brings it.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Unlike you, I'm a college basketball fan. I enjoy every game, and think the season is at keast as important as the Tourney....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

There is no such thing...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You know you have a problem if you're excited about college basketball in November.

I have a problem.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Happy Machina-freaked-out-because-we-"lost"-to-St.-Mary's-day everyone. Hope you celebrated.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

salim'sheadband wrote:Happy Machina-freaked-out-because-we-"lost"-to-St.-Mary's-day everyone. Hope you celebrated.
Just as long as they didn't charge the fans to get in.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

salim'sheadband wrote:Happy Machina-freaked-out-because-we-"lost"-to-St.-Mary's-day everyone. Hope you celebrated.
...did we actually lose today or what? hahaha
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

PJC with 2 assists and 11 turnovers but he did out rebound Zeus. Ristic fouled out three minutes into the game so the one out four in offense was a bust. York made a free throw and Simon took a bunch of selfies. The 1-3-1 zone was pretty effective but the press after all made shots needs some work. Replay on FrontRow Sports but time is still a secret.
Zero

Post by Zero »

LOL! No one knows any thing yet. But we should keep making things up.

Tollefson was moved to SG the second half and Trier ran point the whole game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Nm
Last edited by gumby on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:IMHO College football regular season is a million times better then regular season college basketball. Each game is very important to the playoff picture, bowls, etc.

Especially now, the only thing Miller has left to accomplish is taking us to a Final Four. I am just a lot less excited then I used to be for the regular season

Just me and might feel different if I lived in Tucson and could go to games live
Yeah. It's just you. Guess you'll have to find a hobby in the meantime. UW has an exhibition game on Wednesday. I'd watch if it were on. They ran a promo at football game (now there's some worthless), featured Andrews, Romar and some other dude.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Newportcat wrote:IMHO College football regular season is a million times better then regular season college basketball. Each game is very important to the playoff picture, bowls, etc.

this is a god damn shame. As someone with a finite amount of time to see this team this season (moving to Barcelona at the beginning of 2016) I couldn't be more pumped for the next two months. I hope that when I leave I can say that I believe this team could make a run for that FF. The regular season is so important for a team like this and it's the evolution of a team during the regular season that makes whatever happens in March so rewarding.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I love the dialogue of "the college basketball season is worthless" even though every game matters to a team trying to get into the NCAA tournament--especially the OOC schedule.

Yet, the all important CFB games that are on every weekend matter not a bit--outside of a handful of teams vying to be one of the Final 4.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I love regular season CBB. I enjoy it more than CFB or ANY professional league regular seasons.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UAdevil wrote:I love regular season CBB. I enjoy it more than CFB or ANY professional league regular seasons.
I do too, as do most on this board--obviously.

I just don't get the "every game matters" mantra in other sports, outside of baseball. I mean if an NCAA championship is the ultimate goal, there is no way that 90% of the games in CFB matter at all anymore.

Unless you are talking about the all important ENTER CORPORATE SPONSOR Bowl Game.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yea, that's the thing with CFB. Every game counts only applies to a handful of teams. With everyone else, you can afford a loss, or two, or 5 or 6, because you still get to go to the Rosa's Margarita Mix Bowl to play some four loss team from the WAC. It's easy to get Americans pumped up for football, it's mostly just two days a week, both of which are weekends, it's forced down our throats with more hype backing than anything in existence, you have fantasy football dungeons and dragons minigames, and tailgating and hanging out with friends and beer and bbq and blah blah blah. Its an entire experience and not having work and all that. You can get the enjoyment out of most football games by waiting until the 4th quarter and then turning the game on. Sounds a lot like the NBA these days.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

rgdeuce wrote:Yea, that's the thing with CFB. Every game counts only applies to a handful of teams. With everyone else, you can afford a loss, or two, or 5 or 6, because you still get to go to the Rosa's Margarita Mix Bowl to play some four loss team from the WAC. It's easy to get Americans pumped up for football, it's mostly just two days a week, both of which are weekends, it's forced down our throats with more hype backing than anything in existence, you have fantasy football dungeons and dragons minigames, and tailgating and hanging out with friends and beer and bbq and blah blah blah. Its an entire experience and not having work and all that. You can get the enjoyment out of most football games by waiting until the 4th quarter and then turning the game on. Sounds a lot like the NBA these days.
WAC hasn't played football in a while ;)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Main Event wrote:
It's been a few years since we entered a season with such vague expectations. The media love our chances to win another Pac title, but I feel like those closer to the team and program are more lukewarm in their forecasts. Cal, Utah, and Oregon should make noise.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

rgdeuce wrote:Anyone know when to expect season tickets in the mail? November 7 is still right around the corner and I'm not sure if I should be concerned they got put into the wrong mailbox or not.
They come in?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Did I miss something? I thought the opener was versus Pacific on 11/13. However the website has it as TBD.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Meet the 2015-16 Arizona Wildcats basketball team

November 02, 2015 11:45 am • By Bruce Pascoe

Here's a look at this year's Arizona Wildcats.

http://tucson.com/sports/college/wildca ... a6929.html" target="_blank
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I'd like football about as much as I like basketball if they'd play two games a week. I get seriously bummed after the games end on Saturday because I know I'll have to wait a whole week more to get a fill.

But as it stands, CBB is the best sports league in the world. Football's still the best sport to play though.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dcZONAfan wrote:

this is a god damn shame. As someone with a finite amount of time to see this team this season (moving to Barcelona at the beginning of 2016) I couldn't be more pumped for the next two months. I hope that when I leave I can say that I believe this team could make a run for that FF. The regular season is so important for a team like this and it's the evolution of a team during the regular season that makes whatever happens in March so rewarding.
Hope you find a place with a guest room! :D
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Jefe wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Anyone know when to expect season tickets in the mail? November 7 is still right around the corner and I'm not sure if I should be concerned they got put into the wrong mailbox or not.
They come in?
Yep, came the day I posted that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Meet the 2015-16 Arizona Wildcats basketball team

November 02, 2015 11:45 am • By Bruce Pascoe

Here's a look at this year's Arizona Wildcats.

http://tucson.com/sports/college/wildca ... a6929.html" target="_blank
My most intriguing questions:

1. Can PJC thrive in his larger role? He'll have an opportunity to shine this year. It's right there for him. We'll see.

2. Will we be a great (or merely good) defensive team?

3. How will the transfers do? Tolly, KA, and RA...we need big seasons from at least two of them.

4. Have we already seen Gabe's best basketball at AZ, or is it still to come?

5. Which freshman will see the most minutes? Trier seems like an obvious answer, but maybe Simon or Comanche will surprise us.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Nobody outside of TJ played 30 minutes/game last year. No way that Ryan Anderson does that IMO. More minutes for Tollefsen and Ristic.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Anderson's not going to get that level of minutes because the Pac-12, IMHO, won't allow it in conference.

Hopefully Miller has a second lineup just as effective for when the tweeting refs get Anderson into foul trouble. And it will happen.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Nobody outside of TJ played 30 minutes/game last year. No way that Ryan Anderson does that IMO. More minutes for Tollefsen and Ristic.
Don't you think it depends on RA's production? If he's the backbone of our offense, it's easy to imagine him getting 30, especially if he's good about not picking up fouls.