Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

KaibabKat

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by KaibabKat »

Interesting pictures. Brandon Ashley appears to be wide open in both of them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Excellent production on the glass is a constant with Stanley. Even when he can't make a shot (4-28 against Utah and UCLA) he gets the job done on the glass. That part of his game is underappreciated. Even being benched, frankly, last year we couldn't afford to bench people for mistakes. The deeper team this year, we can.

We need better in the tourney, but getting all over Stanley for the poor shooting is a little harsh, imo.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:Interesting indeed but I think the number is a little inflated for Stanley with the put back misses on Saturday
Exactly. And how many was he fouled on and didn't get the call?

Sportswriters who write bullshit based on boxscores are awful at their job.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It's greg hanson, why would anybody be surprised? Dude knows jack shit about sports, was never good at sports and for whatever reason, thinks using his pen makes him important like all of the athletes he wishes he was. He's a nerd. Whoever has been responsible for giving him a job anywhere outside of Logan, Utah, or any other small town can rot. F his dork son too.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Stanley Johnson is No. 3 in kPOY. Okafor is 6th.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Stanley Johnson might just be the best player in America.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:Stanley Johnson might just be the best player in America.

Sorry man but the best player in America does not get benched for the right reasons at the ends of close games when the conference title is on the line
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

PHXCATS wrote:

Sorry man but the best player in America does not get benched for the right reasons at the ends of close games when the conference title is on the line
He does if he plays for Sean Miller and gets lazy on defense for a play.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Airizona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Exactly....the best player in America does not play lazy on d in close games with so much on the line.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There's a difference between being the best and playing the best at any given moment.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

KaibabKat wrote:Interesting pictures. Brandon Ashley appears to be wide open in both of them.
It's official, KaibabKat has gone full retard on us!
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

PHXCATS wrote:
Airizona wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Exactly....the best player in America does not play lazy on d in close games with so much on the line.
Not sure I should enter this debate but no one is saying he's Michael Jordan. He made a mistake late against Utah, on top of shooting poorly & making multiple decisions during the game that weren't optimal.

That doesn't mean he's not the best college player in America. Kamisky & Okafor are obvious choices but Stanley has a legit shot at having the most successful professional career of any Arizona player ever. I honestly don't think that statement is hyperbole. If it's not - think about that for a second. That's silly.

Stan is close to the best college player in America right now & I actually think he's the basketball player people will still be talking about the most 5 & 10 years from now assuming he stays healthy & continues his trajectory.

To make a board analogy - his ceiling is fairly damn high.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

To say someone isn't the best because of one play is a little ridiculous. There are plays that you could look up of any great player that would make you scratch your head... everyone has bad plays (especially freshman). Stan's body of work so far this season speaks for itself
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:There's a difference between being the best and playing the best at any given moment.
This.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Stanley Johnson might just be the best player in America.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Well, when you put it that way. ...
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Airizona wrote:To say someone isn't the best because of one play is a little ridiculous. There are plays that you could look up of any great player that would make you scratch your head... everyone has bad plays (especially freshman). Stan's body of work so far this season speaks for itself
It was a lot more than one play this season
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Airizona wrote:To say someone isn't the best because of one play is a little ridiculous. There are plays that you could look up of any great player that would make you scratch your head... everyone has bad plays (especially freshman). Stan's body of work so far this season speaks for itself
I don't get this dislike of Stanley. Look back to last year, as good as RHJ and AG were, they had games where they couldn't throw the ball in the ocean and weren't guarded from 15 feet. They made defensive errors.

Okafor leads a Duke D that can hemhhorage points. It happens. Stanley has been excellent, period.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We had bashing like this for AG last year until he started going HAM late in the year. Guessing people like to look for little reasons to treat star one and dones as whipping boys. Like they read these boards and it will humble them or something...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:We had bashing like this for AG last year until he started going HAM late in the year. Guessing people like to look for little reasons to treat star one and dones as whipping boys. Like they read these boards and it will humble them or something...
I'm sure when Stan goes top 5, he will always feel a little unfulfilled because PHXCATS did not approve of his performance.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I don't get this dislike of Stanley. Look back to last year, as good as RHJ and AG were, they had games where they couldn't throw the ball in the ocean and weren't guarded from 15 feet. They made defensive errors.

Okafor leads a Duke D that can hemhhorage points. It happens. Stanley has been excellent, period.
There aren't just two choices:

1. May be the best.
2. Dislike.

Think people are just pushing back against No. 1, which doesn't require disliking him.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Show me another Freshman that has the body control and ability to finish in traffic like Stanley, and I will call you a liar.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I don't dislike Stanley. But I do believe him not trying hard all the time prevents me from calling him the best in the nation.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Okafor and Kaminsky wish they had half of Stanley's defense.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I don't dislike Stanley. But I do believe him not trying hard all the time prevents me from calling him the best in the nation.
I see more mental lapses than simply not trying, and I see way way more positive plays than negative ones.

Stanley Johnson's biggest fault is overconfidence. He actually reminds me of Kobe Bryant during his rookie season. Immensely talented but not always sure when and how to apply that talent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I harp on rebounds in poor shooting games because that measures a player's motor more than any other. How hard does he pursue the ball when things are going poorly. Just about every freshman has an adjustment period from acceptable intensity hs vs college. Things like missing assignments aren't lazy, they're youth.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Are you ready to be outraged?

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/ ... pot-sealed

Not in the top 17, eh? Interesting theory.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It's Eamonn Brennan, dude.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Hes not wrong at the top. Frank Kaminsky, without a doubt, is the best COLLEGE hoops player in the country. Its not close.

His usage rate and efficiency rating is almost McDermott-esque. And hes doing it on a top 5 team in the country. Hes a great college rebounder, his D is miles better than it was last year (he actually blocks shots), and they run the O thru him as his assist #s indicate. All while playing in a tempo that averages less than 60 possessions per game.

Plus they lost to Rutgers without him!!!!!! Rutgers makes unlv look like Kentucky.

Arizona fans should know better than most, kids a beast.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

PennZona20 wrote:Hes not wrong at the top. Frank Kaminsky, without a doubt, is the best COLLEGE hoops player in the country. Its not close.

His usage rate and efficiency rating is almost McDermott-esque. And hes doing it on a top 5 team in the country. Hes a great college rebounder, his D is miles better than it was last year (he actually blocks shots), and they run the O thru him as his assist #s indicate. All while playing in a tempo that averages less than 60 possessions per game.

Plus they lost to Rutgers without him!!!!!! Rutgers makes unlv look like Kentucky.

Arizona fans should know better than most, kids a beast.
Kaminsky's great.

I'm pretty sure though, if I was writing the article, I'd have Stanley in the top 17 players in the country. But apparently Eammon doesn't agree.

EDIT-LOL did Stanley just get edited in?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Agree with Kaminsky choice, and love the Noonan reference. It's T.J. who got slighted.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:Are you ready to be outraged?

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/ ... pot-sealed

Not in the top 17, eh? Interesting theory.
I'm more offended that he would have bet his rent check Utah beat us on Saturday. We were ranked higher for goodness sakes. We get no respect this year, and it's weird. For sharting out a few subpar performances against weaker teams, we have come to win in big games and flat out rolled most of the Pac.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Stanley is one of the main reasons what happened vs. Wisconsin in the Elite 8, what happened vs. UConn in the Elite 8 and what happened to us vs. Ohio State isn't going to happen this year. He may be the best college player in America and we may just break the drought because of his offensive ability this year....finally...
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Don't know how you can push Stanley for NPOY while pushing TJ for Pac POY. Doesn't make much sense. TJ is the most valuable player on the team so far without much doubt, so how could Stanley be in the national conversation over TJ?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:Don't know how you can push Stanley for NPOY while pushing TJ for Pac POY. Doesn't make much sense. TJ is the most valuable player on the team so far without much doubt, so how could Stanley be in the national conversation over TJ?
because NPOY is about #'s. That's about it. People talking about that have probably seen us play 3 times this year
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Delon Wright isn't the third best player in the country no matter how you slice it either....
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Arizona has three players who can and have shut down Delon Wright.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

I hope Stanley puts up huge numbers today. He's due... 20/10
KaibabKat

Re: Stanley Johnson...

Post by KaibabKat »

...is not a Wooden Finalist.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It's hilarious we don't have one guy as a finalist
SCCats

Re: Stanley Johnson...

Post by SCCats »

KaibabKat wrote:...is not a Wooden Finalist.
He's going to be drafted about fourth but isn't one of the top 15 players in the nation? :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:It's hilarious we don't have one guy as a finalist
We are balanced.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Very balanced. It has become that way even more the past 8 games. Never know who will lead in scoring.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I know that, but so is Kentucky
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Zero wrote:Very balanced. It has become that way even more the past 8 games. Never know who will lead in scoring.
Seems like we always have 4-5 guys with 9-14 points
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:I know that, but so is Kentucky
But Kentucky is the undefeated blue blood who plays when sportswriters are still awake.
Zero

Post by Zero »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Zero wrote:Very balanced. It has become that way even more the past 8 games. Never know who will lead in scoring.
Seems like we always have 4-5 guys with 9-14 points
The Sean Miller way. I like the balance.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tablet suggests St. Animal for Stanimal. I like it!

Anyway, love his pull-up game. Among the things that sets him apart.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

His pull up jumpers against Stanford had NBA written all over him

Also his block reminded me of another block we had against Stanford from just a couple years ago

Ok nothing will really ever top this one...RJ!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=exH_fnZ_j7o
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS