Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by NYCat »

It's pretty obvious that since this 'tap happened in August 2017, and Ayton had committed Nov 2016 and started summer school in June 2017, that Dawkins was trying to sign Ayton to his agency like he was trying to with Rawle
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:It's pretty obvious that since this 'tap happened in August 2017, and Ayton had committed Nov 2016 and started summer school in June 2017, that Dawkins was trying to sign Ayton to his agency like he was trying to with Rawle
Yeah, that's it, not $ to sign at Arizona. It's like Dawkins was trying to do with Rawle and Trier.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

These payments seem to be for people around the players. Its all to influence without directly paying. Difficult to assume anyone really had an "in" and its more plausible that they were looking for a quick buck at the expense of a high schooler who didn't know what was going on. Highly doubt Book paid any recruit from his own funds. Its laughable to think Miller paid anything out of his own pocket also. But common sense is lost.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Seriously why do any of you guys give ESPN clicks and revenue
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

NYCat wrote:It's pretty obvious that since this 'tap happened in August 2017, and Ayton had committed Nov 2016 and started summer school in June 2017, that Dawkins was trying to sign Ayton to his agency like he was trying to with Rawle
That's the "obvious" piece I apparently was missing.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Josh Jackson's mother explains why he chose Kansas over Michigan State, Arizona
"(Kansas) had the plan and roadmap and they laid it out for me," Jones told the site. "I could see the future they had planned for Josh from his freshman year to his senior year. I could also see that they cared about him more as a person than as a basketball player.
https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2016/04/ ... lains.html" target="_blank

Yahoo: Agent told bosses Adidas paid mother of Kansas basketball star Josh Jackson
In an email reportedly sent Aug. 20, 2016, and reviewed by Yahoo Sports, Dawkins gave his bosses at ASM Sports agency an update on his efforts to sign Jackson after a meeting with Jones, who ran an AAU basketball team sponsored by Under Armour.

"(Under Armour) is giving her 10k a month and she's also getting paid by adidas now — so she’s plenty taken care of," Dawkins wrote.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 369711002/" target="_blank
Hard to know what is true but a few bucks can go a long way if a small time agent was able to catch a big fish who eventually got a max deal.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Schlabach's recent article goes after Miller again, based solely on the word of Dawkins. He again references his 2018 article with claims of Miller discussing payments on a wiretap, yet this wiretap still remains elusive. He reported that one of the biggest coaches in the nation was on an FBI wiretap, yet this wiretap never surfaced in either trial. Why does he keep referencing his 2018 article that was never supported by anything verifiable? He looks like a fool. If anything, if he references the wiretap, he should follow it with a caveat that it was reported that such a wiretap existed, but it never surfaced. But all he ever reports is that Miller denied the allegations, not that in addition to denying the allegations, no wiretap ever surfaced. If the Miller wiretap existed, you can bet it would have come out at this trial.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Schlabach back at it. His initial story way back gave the impression Miller was on FBI wiretap arranging payments to Ayton. Today's testimony is about 2 crooks on the phone talking about Miller, who can literally say whatever they want to each other on the phone. Big difference.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I noticed Schlafuck still isn't promoting his own work on social media. Must not want people to know it's out there...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Schlabach back at it. His initial story way back gave the impression Miller was on FBI wiretap arranging payments to Ayton. Today's testimony is about 2 crooks on the phone talking about Miller, who can literally say whatever they want to each other on the phone. Big difference.
Today's article has zilch to do with the prior article.

I will say this. Everyone does this stuff. Money is all over the place. I'm not saying Miller is innocent, but I don't think he's any worse situated in reality than other big programs.

The endgame in this is all about what you can prove. Dawkins and Sood can say things, but absent real confirmation or Book turning on Miller, you have people's word. If you want to accept their word, accept their word on UNC, Duke and Kentucky while you're at it.

It's what's so disingenous about the reporting. Miller isn't being mentioned by Dawkins because he is worse. He's mentioned bc Dawkins wanted to get into Book, Miller and Arizona.

It's also staggering that people think Dawkins was buying influence and no one looks at his client list when this went down. It's out there in public and has some big name schools.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Book didnt actually pay recruits out of his pocket right?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

There has been testimony under oath that the money that changed hands in relationship to Ayton was Adidas paying money to a "family friend" for Ayton to go to Kansas. I am willing to bet that Kansas is punish more that Az at the end of all this. They may not know it yet but they broke their streak last year by playing an ineligible player who has been banned for 2 yrs. They will loose that title and not break UCLA's title run streak.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

From the beginning I have said follow the money. Sean going to pull $100k from his own pocket? Not a chance. If Nike gets pulled in all bets are off but till then I don't believe it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Book didnt actually pay recruits out of his pocket right?
I never would have believed it, but Book comes off as pretty ****ing stupid through this.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:
Just a biased moron. Ask him about Zion = OUCH. Or is that Duke = IGNORE?
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

At least Seth Davis uses his brain
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

It’s devolving into a “he said vs he said” status.

Dawkins is a sleaze, and was focused on marketing a fledgling business...

Book is apparently as big a sleaze, and possibly just lining his own pockets...

CSM appears to be down to plausible deniability - and that seems to have been sufficient to avoid legal charges thus far.

His continued employment of Book appears to be the weakest link so far.

And, IF he did anything wrong, the other parties to whatever wrongdoing occurred could always be put in a compromising position and have to save their own asses....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

phxcat23 wrote:At least Seth Davis uses his brain

The rest of the hoops writers should be embarassed that Seth Davis appears to be the smartest guy in the room.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:
phxcat23 wrote:At least Seth Davis uses his brain

The rest of the hoops writers should be embarassed that Seth Davis appears to be the smartest guy in the room.
Post of the year
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:It’s devolving into a “he said vs he said” status.

Dawkins is a sleaze, and was focused on marketing a fledgling business...

Book is apparently as big a sleaze, and possibly just lining his own pockets...

CSM appears to be down to plausible deniability - and that seems to have been sufficient to avoid legal charges thus far.

His continued employment of Book appears to be the weakest link so far.

And, IF he did anything wrong, the other parties to whatever wrongdoing occurred could always be put in a compromising position and have to save their own asses....
The whole god damn thing is one con man trying to out con another con man and we're stuck in the middle of it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Just a biased moron. Ask him about Zion = OUCH. Or is that Duke = IGNORE?
The NCAA has been in town and cleared Deandre Ayton & Rawle Alkins of all the shit we've heard recently. So...

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

This trial has been a caution! Never have I seen so relentless and vast an amount of dead-bang, irrefutable evidence of hearsay.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh, Vitale. Nothing about your message or ideas is ever "vital," so really, your name should be Dick E.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

TheCat wrote:There has been testimony under oath that the money that changed hands in relationship to Ayton was Adidas paying money to a "family friend" for Ayton to go to Kansas. I am willing to bet that Kansas is punish more that Az at the end of all this.
Really? I must have missed that.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote:
TheCat wrote:There has been testimony under oath that the money that changed hands in relationship to Ayton was Adidas paying money to a "family friend" for Ayton to go to Kansas. I am willing to bet that Kansas is punish more that Az at the end of all this.
Sit this one out Chachi, you're going to be looking for a new head coach soon.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Is Self to the Spurs actually happening lol

Trial is happening, looks like some more book stuff, also kuzma
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Getting caught up in this thread. So am I to understand that these past couple weeks -- in spite of media hysteria to the contrary -- will end up having little to no impact on Miller and AZ? It's all just a nothing-burger disguised as the Greatest Scandal to Ever Befall NCAA Athletics?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

enfuego wrote:
T.J. Gassnola already testified to paying a family friend of Deandre Ayton's $15,000 in addition to attempting to set up Ayton's mother with a job and permanent housing in a failed attempt to get Ayton to Kansas.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -for-duke/" target="_blank

Its always the parents and friends who make the cash off a kid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Getting caught up in this thread. So am I to understand that these past couple weeks -- in spite of media hysteria to the contrary -- will end up having little to no impact on Miller and AZ? It's all just a nothing-burger disguised as the Greatest Scandal to Ever Befall NCAA Athletics?
We were doing the same stuff all top schools were doing. Miller is closer to the headlines thanks to stuff said by Dawkins, Sood and Book.

None of this actually deals in reality, so who knows how this affects Miller and Arizona. If it deals in reality, the statements about UNC, Duke, UK and KU would matter just as much.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: None of this actually deals in reality, so who knows how this affects Miller and Arizona. If it deals in reality, the statements about UNC, Duke, UK and KU would matter just as much.
That's fair. I suppose we just have to endure the remaining days of this trial and hope there's nothing truly incriminating that comes out.

So is this the narrative we're going with: Book had all kinds of shady side deals going while we was on his Miller's staff, but that Miller himself was not involved? Miller had to know though, right? Maybe this was already covered earlier in the thread. Like, why did Miller keep Book on staff *after* first learning of his side deals? Could this ultimately be a basis for the NCAA to make a scapegoat/example of AZ?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Sit this one out Chachi, you're going to be looking for a new head coach soon.
I would be begging to move to the NBA if I was Self...no reason to stay in cbb with all of this shit happening, and next year's KU team is certainly not a top 10 lock (although a lot depends on Dotson coming back).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: None of this actually deals in reality, so who knows how this affects Miller and Arizona. If it deals in reality, the statements about UNC, Duke, UK and KU would matter just as much.
That's fair. I suppose we just have to endure the remaining days of this trial and hope there's nothing truly incriminating that comes out.

So is this the narrative we're going with: Book had all kinds of shady side deals going while we was on his Miller's staff, but that Miller himself was not involved? Miller had to know though, right? Maybe this was already covered earlier in the thread. Like, why did Miller keep Book on staff *after* first learning of his side deals? Could this ultimately be a basis for the NCAA to make a scapegoat/example of AZ?
Actually, I think Book's side dealings are some of the stuff most honestly non attributable to Miller. Book being a greedy dumbass with the side dealings didn't help Arizona or Miller, it helped Book.

Keeping it on the DL and letting the usual money men do their thing would have kept us out of harm's way, which would have been best for Miller. Book trying to get some money for himself...well, that's why we're here in the way we are.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Again, none of this is new to upper administration at Arizona. All of this is consistent with why Arizona supports Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Again, none of this is new to upper administration at Arizona. All of this is consistent with why Arizona supports Miller.
Also, every player involved in the payment allegations was cleared to play after the payment allegations. That fact continues to get lost in the speculation.

If Miller "fronted" a deal to Ayton, but Ayton was eligible, and properly so, what does the word "fronted" mean? Not a NCAA violation unless you think more is coming on Ayton.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:Again, none of this is new to upper administration at Arizona. All of this is consistent with why Arizona supports Miller.
Nice.

So from a PR standpoint, the plan is to just remain silent? I'm not exactly sure what the school or Miller's lawyer could say, but maybe saying nothing is the more effective strategy in the long run.

I think it's telling that our '19 class hasn't wavered; in fact, it's grown! Hazzard is on board, and we're waiting on Brown. I wonder how the '20 recruiting efforts are going.

So while the national media are wild-eyed and breathless over the fantasy of AZ hoops collapsing, the reality is that we're going to begin next season as a top 15/top 20 team with an elite freshman class, and most importantly, with Miller as our coach.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

"Can I talk you into some dessert?"

"No thank you. We're fronting the cheese plate."

"You're doing what to the cheese plate?"

-----

Dick Vitale@Dickie V * 2 H

Wow! How about the absolute embarrassing scuzziness of A Player's Program??!!! A man just fronted a cheese plate!!! The Arizona faithful are complete shit stains!!!! The Arizona administration needs to lie on their backs and just urinate all over themselves!!!!!
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Fronted:
lead or be the most prominent member
Uses: Miller fronted Ayton's Recruitment
Alternative: Miller took the lead on Ayton's Recruitment.

The lead recruiter was....Sean Miller.
https://247sports.com/Player/Deandre-Ay ... ol-157101/" target="_blank

Fronted:
To confront someone with the intent to embarrass them
Uses: The journalist fronted the articles about Miller.
Alternative: The journalist were trying to misrepresent the articles about Miller
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

What's the Urban dictionary definition
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:What's the Urban dictionary definition
What the testimony and the coverage of the testimony are:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=Asschalk" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Nice.

So from a PR standpoint, the plan is to just remain silent? I'm not exactly sure what the school or Miller's lawyer could say, but maybe saying nothing is the more effective strategy in the long run.

I think it's telling that our '19 class hasn't wavered; in fact, it's grown! Hazzard is on board, and we're waiting on Brown. I wonder how the '20 recruiting efforts are going.

So while the national media are wild-eyed and breathless over the fantasy of AZ hoops collapsing, the reality is that we're going to begin next season as a top 15/top 20 team with an elite freshman class, and most importantly, with Miller as our coach.
Arizona won't stay silent, and haven't been. But the statements are likely to be as minimal and dry as they have been so far.

It's worth realizing that very few people follow any of this. The very low level of awareness in the larger world is mirrored on campus at U of A. The focus of administrators and their conversations about this are commensurate with that. There's no call for a PR campaign to deal with this, especially since players and recruits are in the loop.

There was only one brief period when any of this was a big deal, and recruits themselves were blindsided: when ESPN broadcast to the world that Sean Miller has been caught on tape offering $100,000 for Ayton. But it's been 13 months of living in a world where there's no reason to believe what was reported. What ESPN and Yahoo Sports put out these days, and what gets tweeted by Dick Vitale and others, is something only crazy basketball message board posters are aware of.

The fact on the table that will remain unchanged by anything is that Book Richardson is officially guilty. That's about it.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

NYCat wrote:Is Self to the Spurs actually happening lol

Trial is happening, looks like some more book stuff, also kuzma
Self isn't going to the Spurs
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The only thing better than basketball are his post-game pressers.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Just imagine the ESPN reaction if Book was an assistant at Duke. Imagine the spin. The media would paint Book as a rogue assistant who blindsided a Hall of Fame head coach because of his own personal shortcomings. The head coach would be portrayed as a mentor who waited too long to cut ties, who should’ve fired the assistant long before instead of suspending him.
And Dawkins would be portrayed as the conman he is, instead of “an aspiring agent.” This is media spin, plain and simple.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Yay, I'm a crazy message board poster!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Yay, I'm a crazy message board poster!
I don't have to tell myself that. My family reminds me daily.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:Just imagine the ESPN reaction if Book was an assistant at Duke. Imagine the spin. The media would paint Book as a rogue assistant who blindsided a Hall of Fame head coach because of his own personal shortcomings. The head coach would be portrayed as a mentor who waited too long to cut ties, who should’ve fired the assistant long before instead of suspending him.
And Dawkins would be portrayed as the conman he is, instead of “an aspiring agent.” This is media spin, plain and simple.
Book would be nothing more than a coffee boy and towel waver. ESPN would be reporting that Coach K never even talked to him and thought his name was "Sam".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Looks like it's still a a USC/Tony Bland day in court.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Out of all of this, have any of the assistant coaches involved turned on their head coaches? As far as I can tell, none have ratted on the head coach. Maybe more will come in the NCAA investigation. But Book wasn’t a cooperative witness despite the guilty plea.