Bill Walton - Legend

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: Bill Walton - Legend

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:59 pm Bill Walton was a HUGE friend of this program.
He 100% was.

I had my issues with his broadcasting in certain moments (mostly the tight ones) but I could never thank him enough for entrusting his son to Lute, and how he handled the progression from Olson to Miller to Lloyd. He was effusive in his praise for all three, and never wavered in his respect for what had been built and how it continued.

Bill Walton was an incredible advocate for and ally to Arizona Basketball. I wish I could have met him so I could have thanked him for that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Interestinly, ABC Australia Radio National lead the hourly news broadcast with an excellent obit for Walton this morning. The second story was the landslide in PNG, followed by Gaza.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

RIP to a legend for sure. He had a nice, pleasant personality and always had good things to say about our program. RIP Bill and condolences to Luke and family. The end of an era with his and the P12’s passing.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

This is a Facebook link about Bill Walton and the Boston Celtics players. They were wondering why Boston was getting invaded by people wearing tie-dye shirts.

https://fb.watch/skYySpBBCd/
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

This one really hit me hard, and I cried. Walton was just a beautiful human being. He cared about everyone. As a person I can't help but love him. I put him in an elite group with Dolly Parton, Taylor Swift, and Keanu Reeves when it comes to role models of what human beings should strive for. And this doesn't have anything to do with their artistic talent.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Even in his dying days he was cheering on TJ in the playoffs with the rest of us.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

RIP uncle bill, ambassador emeritus of the conference of champions. basketball just won't be the same. thanks for throwing it down for us, big man.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is amazing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NVM
Last edited by Merkin on Tue May 28, 2024 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Mickey Hart Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/C7fsAxmsJ2X ... 96a307f0a6

Bill was my best friend, the best friend I ever had. He was an amazing person, singular, irreplaceable, giving, loving. His love for our music was beyond description. He called himself the luckiest man in the world but it was us who were lucky—to know him, to share the adventure with him. He was the biggest Deadhead in the world and used our music as the soundtrack to his life. After our shows, he would regularly send messages that said, “thank you for my life.” Over 1000 shows, he just couldn’t get enough. Bill had an incredible passion for drums. After any meal at his house, we would play. There was nothing like a Bill Walton… nothing.

Bill Kreutzmann https://www.instagram.com/p/C7fGqFqPfNH/

There are incredible stories about Bill Walton that I promised him I would only tell after he passed away, and it’s not nearly that time yet because before we laugh, first we must allow ourselves to cry. Darn it. This is a mournful day. This is a period of mourning.

Sure, Bill Walton was an NBA legend. But in the Grateful Dead orbit, he was just a fan - and that made him a legend here, too. In many ways, he was our number one fan… but Bill would’ve taken issue with that ranking because, while he won many awards in his storied basketball career — including MVP — Bill insisted that the Grateful Dead was not a competition — and that all Deadheads were equal.

By that same notion, as I flash through decades of adventures with him, there isn’t one favorite memory. They all shine through. And they’re all important, because they all brought us both real happiness. And that’s special. That’s friendship.

Bill was a genuine fan that became a genuine friend and someone I always looked up to. But his towering presence was more than just literal. Whenever I play, there will now always be a hole where a seat should be, about ten rows back, center, where Bill used to stand, eyes closed, arms raised, while he felt the music running through him. That was a happy place for him and seeing him out there was one of mine. We never did have a hard time finding him in the crowd.

Similarly, when he walked into a room, you knew it - but it wasn’t because of his size. It was because of that laugh of his that broadcasted joy, and it was his easygoing smile that beamed sunshine across any space he ever entered.

So, yeah, losing Bill is an irreplaceable loss and, in simple terms, I am heartbroken. When somebody means that much to you, when their friendship is that important – that’s called love. I loved Bill Walton. As we say in the land of the Dead: May the four winds blow him safely home.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The world already feels different, not as bright, without him.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

NVM
Last edited by FreeSpiritCat on Tue May 28, 2024 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Moved to homeless thread.
Last edited by Merkin on Tue May 28, 2024 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nobody’s perfect. We don’t have to do this.

Let people mourn the man.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merk loves Grapes and Carlos
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I hope Pasch wears this shirt during the Arizona/UCLA broadcast this fall. (Think it's a safe bet ESPN will get that game.)
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Winger

Post by Winger »

I had the opportunity to sit directly behind Walton for a game and knew enough to not bother him, quickly learning that he wanted folks to come see him post game (from his bodyguard type dude telling/berating a bunch of dweebs who lacked both self-control and class).

I was struck by the copious handwritten notes he had on (presumably) the programs, players, coaches, and locale. Pages and pages. Pre-game I was giving my wife the scout on dudes (“this guy is practicing shots left handed but he wont take one all game”, “ that dude has no left-handle and you can expose that”, you know classic husband - wife small talk) and maybe he heard a bit, I dunno.

Anywhoo, about a minute before tip off, without turning around or even glancing in my direction, he back-hands me his media guide for the game. Like 25 pages of anectdotes on the programs and players, every stat imaginable, and suggestions for things to comment on. Other than when he handed it to me he hadn’t touched nor looked at it lol. Dont know if that is what he did every game but for this telecast everything he commented on was his own.

Sounds like I was hardly the only person in the world he gave something to.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“Shine the light. Be the light.”

What a beautiful mantra.

What a beautiful man.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

If you still have the PAC 12 Network, this is a fun way to spend today.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ugh, both AZ games from 2019? Our worst year under Miller?

Blrrrgggghhhhh…
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This is the tribute I've been waiting for.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bill Walton and sons play basketball at home 1994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqPR6lK_56g