UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

KaibabKat

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by KaibabKat »

Arizona Basketball where the cheerleaders are strong, the players are good looking, and all the fans are above average.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Meanwhile, back at PT. The more I read, the more uncertain I get.

Allen hyped here by Miller. And, to a lesser extent, Pitts. Two best perimeter defenders.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 8f5bb.html" target="_blank
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:But this is exactly why the Ed Rush situation was such a scandal. It feeds the false perception that the referees aren't objective, and that's about the last thing you need in spectator sports. The fact that it isn't true that the officials are biased against Arizona isn't enough. Arizona fans know that Byrne felt slighted by the conference decision against Miller. That mess will take a long time to overcome, and it's hard to see how Larry Scott is making any real effort to overcome the perception by controlling the message and showing up at Arizona games like he does other conference games, particularly when it involves milestones. As if the conference administration has no leadership role to play in any of this. Personally, I don't think the league and the officials are out to get Arizona, but there's more to it than that.
This is all that matters to me. The rest is like searching for Waldo when he's already left.
Don't give a rip if the commish pays proper respects.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Shocking, I have Puerco name calling and Gumby doing Gumby things...

I could provide other examples of shady officiating (Karl Hess), but the argument could be "anyone of any fanbase could do that".

I have pointed out that there was documented bias against Arizona in at least one game. If you, as a fan, are satisfied with the changes that the conference made (namely forcing the head of officiating to resign, not having the one ref involved with the call ref any AZ games, and the commissioner of the league staying an arms reach away from the program), then good for you.

I haven't said that the officials are out to get Arizona, aside from the documented stuff from a few years ago. I just find it funny that so many people here think that things don't exist--or they were just one time things, or fell on one guys shoulders. I'm glad that so many feel that the PAC officiating is up to par and that things are hunky dory.

Until we lose a close game, and then everyone can chime in blaming that bullshit charge, or the flop, or the goaltend, or the weird technical foul and the swallowing of whistles thereafter...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I do think that members of the conference are out to get Arizona, but I'm not sure they're on the administration side of things. Gary Payton Jr winning the DPOY award over Rondae & Joseph Young winning POY over TJ considering the regular season results were pretty much travesties of the highest order. The coaches vote on these awards and that tells me that these coaches are some of the bitterest hating bitches in the history of college basketball and are out to get Arizona in any way they can. Either way on the admin level I don't think anyone cares about Arizona basketball to screw us on the court via officiating and if anything when you don't care about the bell cow of your conference in a major sport you're only doing yourself a disservice, but that's a whole other issue in of itself.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:But this is exactly why the Ed Rush situation was such a scandal. It feeds the false perception that the referees aren't objective, and that's about the last thing you need in spectator sports. The fact that it isn't true that the officials are biased against Arizona isn't enough. Arizona fans know that Byrne felt slighted by the conference decision against Miller. That mess will take a long time to overcome, and it's hard to see how Larry Scott is making any real effort to overcome the perception by controlling the message and showing up at Arizona games like he does other conference games, particularly when it involves milestones. As if the conference administration has no leadership role to play in any of this. Personally, I don't think the league and the officials are out to get Arizona, but there's more to it than that.
This is all that matters to me. The rest is like searching for Waldo when he's already left.
Don't give a rip if the commish pays proper respects.
Hey, some people do well when the going gets rough, others don't. Maybe you'd fall over in a hot dog eating contest, and I'd keep shoveling them in. As far as Arizona basketball goes, I'm glad you're able to stay rational. If Arizona were to keep drawing low-seeded opponents in the tourney like UConn does, and kept collecting those national championships, maybe I'd be more reasonable, less obsessive and fanatical, downright dismissive of perceptions about conference politics, and just enjoy the season and root my team on to victory in a good-natured fashion. But these multiple losses in the Elite Eight aren't working out too well for me.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Arizona basketball is gonna be hated by the rest of the conference because we're a f***ing great program. Everyone hates on Oregon in football...more so because they're kinda the "new rich" when it comes to the Pac 12.

The powers in the state of California don't enjoy that the predominant flagship program in the conference resides outside their state. They want so bad for UCLA to be the top dog. Or Cal. Or Stanford. It makes sense for them that the number 1 & 2 media markets in their conference should have the top program. It's very much an entitlement attitude. From their perspective, the Pac 12 revolves around the state of California. Everything else is just noise.

Of course, those of us in Arizona (and Utah, and Oregon when it comes to football) have other ideas about the conference. I think any matchup against a California school, especially the likes of UCLA, tends to get the competitive juices flowing a little more. For Arizona, wearing a constant target, any matchup against a conference foe represents a challenge to us being the Alpa dog. We saw how Colorado acted when they won the Pac 12 tourney title back in '12. Suddenly they acted like their program was on par with ours and were acting like Harvey in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. Our program has endured challenges from Oregon. Washington. Colorado. And most recently, Utah. They've all had marginal success.

What I love so much about our program is that we're not the entitled program from the perfect state, with perfect weather, with a perfect history and perfect campus, etc... We've got a little mean streak because we're leftovers from the old WAC. We write our own script. Our basketball program earned every damn bit of success the hard way. It didn't have a huge recruiting advantage, or media advantage or whatever. That's the beauty of Arizona basketball. That's why our fan base is so passionate.

It's easy to grow up in California and root for whatever in-state school that has success based on an un-level playing field. Crap, UCLA should be great in basketball. So should Cal. And football too for those schools. They're all great schools, with tons of resources and a built in system for success. Much of it is by no doing of their own.

I believe there's a general disdain California schools have for the other members of the Pac. And vice versa. Naturally, opponents are gonna develop a dislike for the perennial powers in a conference.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Allen showing defensive promise

19 hours ago • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star
Kadeem Allen pumped in an average of 25.9 points a game for Hutchinson (Kan.) CC while earning the junior college player of the year award in 2013-14, but scoring may not be his big thing this season.

The way UA coach Sean Miller described it this week, he could be the Wildcats’ best perimeter stopper in addition to a combo guard who has clearly earned the No. 2 point guard job.

“I’m pleased with Kadeem,” Miller said. “He has great ability as a defensive player and based on the players who have left us recently, we’re looking for him to inherit that role of being able to guard a team’s best perimeter player, whether that’s a point guard or an off guard. He’s shown that through the first couple of months here.”

Offensively, Allen gives UA a much bigger and stronger look than projected starter Parker Jackson-Cartwright at point guard, too.

Miller said he was still working through the best options to fill Smith’s expected minutes at small forward: Either going with both Gabe York and Allonzo Trier on the wing in a three-guard look along with the point guard, or with Mark Tollefsen or Elliott Pitts at small forward.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... 8f5bb.html" target="_blank
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

My concern with our team this year is the role of Gabe York. Throughout his career, he's been a role player and shot maker. But his release point, ability to create good shots and size make me extremely skeptical of his ability to be a lead offensive option for this year's team. I've seen enough of his to question whether he can handle scoring against bigger, more athletic defenders. If he's our best offensive option, color me worried.

My hope was that Allen or Trier would emerge as players who could create offense on their own. I haven't seen enough of them to make that judgement but their size and athleticism suggest its a possibility. Now that Ray Smith is out of the picture, it makes it even more important. Gonna be really interesting to see how Miller moves the chess pieces around the board this season. And it will make for a ton of second guessing and discussion. There are no easy, sure answers on this team. If you play one guy for one reason, you give up something else on the floor. Lots of pieces on that chess board.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Whatever gets you through the season, LH. If its putting dirt on the hot dog before taking a bite, bon appetit.

So I'm seeing a consensus that while there are haters, there isn't a concerted effort to screw Arizona. So if I can take this back to the beginning, how would this affect whether a Wildcat could log 30 minutes, moreso than any other conference player?

That is the issue that sparked the discussion.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Pretty pumped to see the team tomorrow!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Same. Think it will be a balanced attack, without heavy reliance on York or anyone else. Excited to see new players.

Gonna scout Gonzaga this evening. They're starting four guys who are at least 6-8. Son went to UW exhibition. Four freshmen and Andrews started. Lotta athletes, but whistled for 31 fouls! Hater refs! :) Dawg Pound bitched about every call. Ah, tradition.

He texted pic of courtside seat. Must be nice. He said they dunked in pregame, which made for a nice show. Said new rule allows that. Not sure if true.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

SCCats wrote:Pretty pumped to see the team tomorrow!
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Here's hoping Ryan Anderson is better than anyone expected and that Miller was sandbagging for the last year. And that PJC has made an enormous jump from freshman to sophomore. And Kadeem Allen plays like the JUCO POY. And....
gumby

Post by gumby »

84Cat wrote:
SCCats wrote:Pretty pumped to see the team tomorrow!
Thanks. Wealth of data in game notes pdf. Arizona tied with Kentucky for wins over past two seasons. Cats are sixth over past four seasons. Led the nation in defensive rebounding percentage. We don't allow many offensive rebounds. Ryan Anderson an apparent animal on glass, so here's hoping that continues.

In the last 83 games, 41 opponents held under 60. All but three held under 80.

Defense. Rebounding. Not sexy, but effective.

"Possible Starting Lineup"

PJC
York
Tolly
Anderson
Zeus

That's my guess, too.
gumby

Post by gumby »

carolinacat wrote:Here's hoping Ryan Anderson is better than anyone expected and that Miller was sandbagging for the last year. And that PJC has made an enormous jump from freshman to sophomore. And Kadeem Allen plays like the JUCO POY. And....
I expect RA to be our best player. Has been for six weeks. Sandbagging?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Thanks Gumby! I didn't see the pdf. I was thinking that this is a pretty brief version of the game notes.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

My guess at the starting lineup against Chico State tomorrow:

Allen
York
Pitts
Anderson
Ristic
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I recall the Chico State game last year as having about the slowest slow start in the history of Miller-coached slow starts.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Longhorned wrote:I recall the Chico State game last year as having about the slowest slow start in the history of Miller-coached slow starts.
Last played Chico State 11/6/2012 but time flies when you're having fun. :D
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

gumby wrote:
carolinacat wrote:Here's hoping Ryan Anderson is better than anyone expected and that Miller was sandbagging for the last year. And that PJC has made an enormous jump from freshman to sophomore. And Kadeem Allen plays like the JUCO POY. And....
I expect RA to be our best player. Has been for six weeks. Sandbagging?
RA can't just be our best player. He needs to be up there for Pac 12 POY for us to really make a run (IMO). Miller hasn't put that type of pressure on him publicly(maybe privately). RA needs to be our go to guy in crunch time. Otherwise, someone else is gonna have to step up. Who are we gonna go to in the final minutes? Who do you want to have the ball in their hands. Last year it was TJ to make a play and set someone up. This year?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KaibabKat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I recall the Chico State game last year as having about the slowest slow start in the history of Miller-coached slow starts.
Last played Chico State 11/6/2012 but time flies when you're having fun. :D
No! Wait. Cal State Pomona. That was the slow-start exhibition game, right?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Close enough - it was Cal Poly Pomona.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What channel and what time is tomorrows game?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Arizona vs. Chico State (Exhibition)

Sunday, Nov. 8 at 6 p.m. (MST)

TV: Pac-12 Network (J.B. Long & Steve Lavin)

Radio: Arizona IMG Radio Network (Brian Jeffries & Ryan Hansen)

Stats: http://www.arizonalivestats.com" target="_blank

Twitter: @APlayersProgram

#BearDown
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:Shocking, I have Puerco name calling and Gumby doing Gumby things...

I could provide other examples of shady officiating (Karl Hess), but the argument could be "anyone of any fanbase could do that".

I have pointed out that there was documented bias against Arizona in at least one game. If you, as a fan, are satisfied with the changes that the conference made (namely forcing the head of officiating to resign, not having the one ref involved with the call ref any AZ games, and the commissioner of the league staying an arms reach away from the program), then good for you.

I haven't said that the officials are out to get Arizona, aside from the documented stuff from a few years ago. I just find it funny that so many people here think that things don't exist--or they were just one time things, or fell on one guys shoulders. I'm glad that so many feel that the PAC officiating is up to par and that things are hunky dory.

Until we lose a close game, and then everyone can chime in blaming that bullshit charge, or the flop, or the goaltend, or the weird technical foul and the swallowing of whistles thereafter...
:roll:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

KaibabKat wrote:My guess at the starting lineup against Chico State tomorrow:

Allen
York
Pitts
Anderson
Ristic
Agree on Ristic if Tarc still injured.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Zags trailed Eastern Oregon (NAIA) 15-8. Kinda expect messy at the outset. Arizona and UCLA playing at GU this year. Never thought I'd see that. Btw, they didn't go with big limeup. McClellan and Perkins at guard. Quicker better penetrators than Pangos, Bell. Don't shoot as well.
Last edited by gumby on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

carolinacat wrote:My concern with our team this year is the role of Gabe York. Throughout his career, he's been a role player and shot maker. But his release point, ability to create good shots and size make me extremely skeptical of his ability to be a lead offensive option for this year's team. I've seen enough of his to question whether he can handle scoring against bigger, more athletic defenders. If he's our best offensive option, color me worried.

My hope was that Allen or Trier would emerge as players who could create offense on their own. I haven't seen enough of them to make that judgement but their size and athleticism suggest its a possibility. Now that Ray Smith is out of the picture, it makes it even more important. Gonna be really interesting to see how Miller moves the chess pieces around the board this season. And it will make for a ton of second guessing and discussion. There are no easy, sure answers on this team. If you play one guy for one reason, you give up something else on the floor. Lots of pieces on that chess board.
York needs to knock down open shots and improve his shooting consistency, and play defense. This team has a superior front court and plenty of other good players. Someone will emerge as the wing who will be the guy who needs to be taking the big outside shot late when needed, but York does not need to carry this team and be something he's not. Anderson will be our best player and a guy who can get us a big bucket inside. Things will play out. It's hard when there are so many new faces and roles, but we did the same thing last two seasons with loaded teams that we were familiar with absent guys like Rondae, AG and Stan.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

where's the Chico state game thread?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:where's the Chico state game thread?
I don't know but somebody better start one so I can see you post, "Great. We're getting pushed to the limit by a Division 2 team. If we play like this against Pacific, we'll lose by 20 points."

I hope you know I say that out of all love.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
I don't know but somebody better start one so I can see you post, "Great. We're getting pushed to the limit by a Division 2 team. If we play like this against Pacific, we'll lose by 20 points."

I hope you know I say that out of all love.
Exactly. I need the place to complain officially.

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

POM usually on it. ;)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chico St returns 3 starters and is the favorite to repeat as there conference champ. They are #17 nationally in there division so this might be a decent test
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

This game was Chico and The Man,* and that man was Ryan Anderson. No wonder Rabb went elsewhere. Wouldn't start. Anderson has the savvy and skill that iis underappreciated when evaluating players. Seems if you're not consistently above the rim, you're off the radar screen. Meanwhile, 19 points, 10 boards (with 5 on the O-glass), blocked shots. Give me production over aerial shows any day.

Surprised Allen started, but PJC ended up with 8 more minutes. Trier led team in minutes, mostly because he got to stay in for garbage time. Simon has a lot of promise. Like that comparison to Geary. If true, he's gonna be fun (and valuable). Point guard looks wide open to me. Wouldn't discount possibility of Trier or York getting significant minutes there.

York was cool, calm, collected. Efficient night. Forced nothing. Second best player.

Pitts and Tollefsen looked nervous. Both with two quick turnovers. Neither could find the bucket. Tolly had a quick trigger, which surprised me. But both also drew offensive fouls (but Tolly was sliding).

Trier is the key, I think, to how far we go. Front line is solid. York is capable. But Trier has the extra size and game to be special. If we go really far, it's because he figured things out and was consistent. He does, however, have that star player tendency to gamble on D, just like Stanley Johnson. I'm sure Miller will fill him in.

Ristic is skilled but needs to be willing to bang. Can't wilt when bumped. Gotta bump back. Sure is smooth, though. Tarc started with a bang and had a nice night. Guess he'll never be a great rebounder (4), but hit some face-up shots. Like to see that.

Team defense was spotty, but first game, too. Gotta clean up those drives from the perimeter. Pack line is supposed to smother those. Rebounding and ball movement wasn't the best in the first, half. Must've only had a couple of turnovers in the second half, because we only had 10 total.

Team was 2 of 13 from distance and 30-41 otherwise, and 59 percent overall.Gonna need better outside shooting, but sure love that inside efficiency.

All in all, it was fun to watch and the team shows a lot of promise.

* http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070975/" target="_blank
Last edited by gumby on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Anderson missed one shot.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

U of A gets so many more calls than other schools and the most favorable travel schedule and U of A fans still think everyone is out to get them. No wonder our fan base is not well received.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

huh? sure, ok.

How so?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

gumby wrote:This game was Chico and The Man,* and that man was Ryan Anderson. No wonder Rabb went elsewhere. Wouldn't start. Anderson has the savvy and skill that it underappreciated when evaluating players. Seems if you're not consistently above the rim, you're off the radar screen. Meanwhile, 19 points, 10 boards (with 5 on the O-glass), blocked shots. Give me production over aerial shows any day.

Surprised Allen started, but PJC ended up with 8 more minutes. Trier led team in minutes, mostly because he got to stay in for garbage time. Simon has a lot of promise. Like that comparison to Geary. If true, he's gonna be fun (and valuable). Point guard looks wide open to me. Wouldn't discount possibility of Trier or York getting significant minutes there.

York was cool, calm, collected. Efficient night. Forced nothing. Second best player.

Pitts and Tollefsen looked nervous. Both with two quick turnovers. Neither could find the bucket. Tolly had a quick trigger, which surprised me. But both also drew offensive fouls (but Tolly was sliding).

Trier is the key, I think, to how far we go. Front line is solid. York is capable. But Trier has the extra size and game to be special. If we go really far, it's because he figured things out and was consistent. He does, however, have that star player tendency to gamble on D, just like Stanley Johnson. I'm sure Miller will fill him in.

Ristic is skilled but needs to be willing to bang. Can't wilt when bumped. Gotta bump back. Sure his smooth, though. Tarc started with a bang and had a nice night. Guess he'll never be a great rebounder (4), but hit some face-up shots. Like to see that.

Team defense was spotty, but first game, too. Gotta clean up those drives from the perimeter. Pack line is supposed to smother those. Rebounding and ball movement wasn't the best in the first, half. Must've only had a couple of turnovers in the second half, because we only had 10 total.

Team was 2 of 13 from distance and 30-41 otherwise, and 59 percent overall.Gonna need better outside shooting, but sure love that inside efficiency.

All in all, it was fun to watch and the team shows a lot of promise.

* http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070975/" target="_blank
Good write up. Agree that Anderson is gonna be our "guy" to carry water. I think he would've been a difference maker for us last year in place of Ashley.

Guard play is gonna be key. How well Trier & Allen adjust to D-1 basketball will decide our ceiling. If we're relying on York to create offense and do more than he's capable, we're in trouble. I don't think that happens.
Coaching staff is really gonna be challenged to figure out lineups from game to game and anticipate match ups based on player strengths and weaknesses.

Also gonna be interesting to see if Tollefson can hold his own against tougher competition. He's obviously skilled. I like that he can shoot the ball from deep. He's in the big time now, not shlepping for a mediocre WCC team.

It's easy to see we're gonna have some growing pains as the season unfolds. Should be fun seeing Commanche, Simon and Trier gain confidence. Allen too.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

PHXCATS wrote:U of A gets so many more calls than other schools and the most favorable travel schedule and U of A fans still think everyone is out to get them. No wonder our fan base is not well received.
Like that time at the Pac 12 Tournament in 2013?

Favorable travel schedule? Based on what? The conference heard concerns about road trips that began on Wednesdays and didn't end until Sunday night. No other conference travels 2 road games at a time over the weekend. The most favorable travel schedule favors the California schools because they have shorter distances to travel.

Our fan base is not well received because we have the best program in the West and beating Arizona is a big deal. If your fan base is well received it's because your program sucks and you're not a threat. (See Washington State).
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:huh? sure, ok.

How so?
From the Larry Scott thread

U of A basketball has by far the best travel schedule so I think it is just circumstances with the football times.

This is all men's basketball for the four road trips in conference play.

U of A two two day trips two three day trips no Sunday away
ASSU two two day trips two three day trips one Sunday away
Colorado two two day trips two three day trips one Sunday away
Utah one two day trip three three day trips four Sunday away
UCLA three two day trips one three day trip two Sunday away
USC two two day trips two three day trips four Sunday away
Cal one two day trip two three day trip one four day trip two Sunday away
Stanford two two day trips one three day trip one four day trip one Sunday away
Oregon State same as Stanford
Oregon two two day trips two three day trips two Sunday away
WSU two two day trips one three day trip one four day trip two Su day away
Washington two two day trips one three day trip one four day trip one Sunday away

TV and the conferences work so hard to screw UA football but give UA basketball the best? Don't think so
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

As for games do we all forget the colorado game years ago? Look at message boards for other schools or listen to what others say. Chicat said the same about getting more calls.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

carolinacat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:U of A gets so many more calls than other schools and the most favorable travel schedule and U of A fans still think everyone is out to get them. No wonder our fan base is not well received.

Favorable travel schedule? Based on what? The conference heard concerns about road trips that began on Wednesdays and didn't end until Sunday night. No other conference travels 2 road games at a time over the weekend. The most favorable travel schedule favors the California schools because they have shorter distances to travel.

Our fan base is not well received because we have the best program in the West and beating Arizona is a big deal. If your fan base is well received it's because your program sucks and you're not a threat. (See Washington State).
So now geography is out to get us too. As others have said it was a one time thing with Rush and it is over now. U of A will get more close calls than other schools if you look.

Also have you ever seen any national writer on Twitter?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The shot in the Colorado game was no good. A poster named Katzenfreund posted the high def camera shots from McKale at GOAZCATS.
Red light was on and the ball was still on his fingertips.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ignore phxcats. Starting to think he's just an Asu or some other kind of troll.

carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

PHXCATS wrote:
carolinacat wrote:

So now geography is out to get us too. As others have said it was a one time thing with Rush and it is over now. U of A will get more close calls than other schools if you look.

Geography isn't out to get us. It's simply easier making road trips for those schools.

Arizona won the Pac by three games last year. It wasn't because of favorable calls.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

carolinacat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
carolinacat wrote:

Geography isn't out to get us. It's simply easier making road trips for those schools.

Arizona won the Pac by three games last year. It wasn't because of favorable calls.
Of course it wasn't. Best home court advantage due to crowd support and noise, best coaching staff, best talent and toughest team is why.

Hope you are not thinking I am putting any wins or loses on these calls. Think they mostly even the,selves out bit I usually tend to think the closer ones tend to go our way more often than not.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Happens at Cameron Indoor and at the Dean Dome too.

Marquee programs make their luck, or are you put it, close calls.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Geez. Team finally plays another team, and it still can't hijack the threads.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

My two boys' first U of A game, so it was super special to me, exhibition or not. My impressions, which are hard to give because I couldnt fully immerse myself with a distracted toddler on my lap:

Bigs:
- Ryan Anderson is the real deal. He's a first team all conference player and has a legit shot at CPOY. He's a man among boys. And I was impressed with everything he did out there. I'm going to leave it at that, because I could spend all night talking about him. Zeus was Zeus. He will be steady and get us 10-12 a game. Didn't see a huge jump, but he looks more comfortable and confident, hands looked better. Dusan has some nice moves but at times he was under the basket and made things harder than they needed to be. Like he had to wait to feel the defender on his hip before he put his moves on and had to put the ball on the floor. Comanche looked overwhelmed out there but it's super early.

- Wasn't too impressed with Tollefsen tonight but you can certainly see the potential. Chalk it up to a bad game or nerves, got to be hard to go from USF and then coming to a place like McKale. He struggled defensively and was getting blown by quite a bit, though one instance still had the size to recover best he could and block the shot. His shot wasn't falling, he looked comfortable taking it though. One thing that impressed me though is his shiftiness. A few nice pump fakes and was able to put the ball on the floor and slide by his man. Should be able to get a few feet closer and drill the open shot and get to the line. I really liked his ball skills inside though. He's very smart offensively. Need to see him more, but off one game id prefer him at the 4, but obviously that takes away a lot of minites getting buried behind Anderson.

- I liked Allen at the point. As time wears on I can see him getting more assertive with his driving to the basket. He's a bulldog. Like him on defense. Time will tell how his shot looks. Passing was decent. PCJ looked pretty lousy in first half but turned things around in the second. I wouldn't be surprised if York gets more burn at point though with Trier at the 2. Speaking of Trier. I saw the concerns about his defense, hopefully that improves. Got a decent stroke (pause), very athletic, quickest guy we have absent maybe Simon. With time he is going to be one of our best guys on offense. Wanted to see more of simon. What an athlete. Pitts was meh. His off night tonight reminded me of his inconsistency in the past. He's a guy i think Miller will throw out there in the first and see if the shots are falling. If not, he's done for the night. York was York. Out of everyone, he stood out to be the most improved to me. Looks like a senior. Going to give us some big scoring nights. His consistency will dictate how much he gives us a game. I think i underestimated him a little.

Overall
- team looks half step slow, I'm talking speed wise, moving the ball, and making decisions when they get ball. We didn't look elite athletically out there. Defense has a ways to go. I know the history Miller's teams have defensively, and things will improve, but the quick teams are going to give us trouble. Bigs will be more prone to foul trouble if things don't improve on the perimeter. Allen was the closest I saw to a lockdown defender, and we dont have the luxury of having a TJ, NJ, Stanley, Rondae, or AG out there. Really good 2's and 3's are going to give us fits. Thats my biggest concern, especially come tournament time. Running into the wrong guy on the wrong night and not being able to do a thing about it to at least slow him down. And im not talking Kaminsky or Dekker type stuff where it doesn't matter who u have on him. I think this is a team that sticks around in the teens in the rankings a lot of the year. We have the pieces to be competetive and a good team, and I think it's going to take Trier (sadface for Smith being out) emerging for us to get to that next level come march. i think this is worst case scenario a sweet 16 type team though. The ceiling isn't as high as the past two teams, but It should be a fun season