UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by rgdeuce »

And one last thing, I'm not seeing a deep rotation this year, though it is just one game.

Zeus
Anderson
Tollefsen
York
Allen

Dusan, Trier, PJC off the bench. Maybe Pitts as guy number 9.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:And one last thing, I'm not seeing a deep rotation this year, though it is just one game.

Zeus
Anderson
Tollefsen
York
Allen

That's fairly deep for modern college basketball. It's the rare program where guys 9, 10, and 11 are seeing significant minutes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I know, but there was a lot of talk on the board about 9, 10, 11 man rotation (pre-smith injury).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It wouldn't be surprising to see ten guys get some run early in the season but then for CSM to whittle that down to 8 guys by the time conference play rolls around. That's been his M.O. in previous years.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

From the little we have seen so far in games, it seems that Anderson and Zeus are our top two players. Then York and Tolley (is that his actual nickname?). Then the next 6. Someone in the freshmen group (Trier?) might get his bearings and jump into the top 3. If Allen can hit from the outside he will start over PJC because his defense is very good. I think PJC make our offense move better, but we all know Miller is first and foremost about defense.

Wouldn't be surprised if Simon ends up being our best defender at the 3, which would give him more PT.

Anderson is much better than I thought. Zeus looks like a natural from midrange. This is a very tall team. Is Trier actually 6'6"?

Go Cats!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

rgdeuce wrote:And one last thing, I'm not seeing a deep rotation this year, though it is just one game.

Zeus
Anderson
Tollefsen
York
Allen

I like this line up (for now). We'll see how the starters play together now that Zeus is back. PJC might do okay coming in with Trier and Dusan. Hoping to see Pitts break out this year, great team guy. His defense, and 3 point shooting might get him on the floor for more crunch time minutes in Feb. Love Gabe's mid range game.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Pitts is gonna get minutes. He did the last two years with more talented teams.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catstatic wrote:This is a very tall team. Is Trier actually 6'6"?
Every other site lists him at 6' 4", so I'm guessing that he's actually 6' 3". He is definitely not 6' 6", but you're right that overall we do look nice and tall. Interested to see how we look against a team with more height.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Catstatic wrote:From the little we have seen so far in games, it seems that Anderson and Zeus are our top two players. Then York and Tolley (is that his actual nickname?). Then the next 6. Someone in the freshmen group (Trier?) might get his bearings and jump into the top 3. If Allen can hit from the outside he will start over PJC because his defense is very good. I think PJC make our offense move better, but we all know Miller is first and foremost about defense.

Wouldn't be surprised if Simon ends up being our best defender at the 3, which would give him more PT.

Anderson is much better than I thought. Zeus looks like a natural from midrange. This is a very tall team. Is Trier actually 6'6"?
You bringing up the size of the team reminded me of the kid who sat by me last night. He was going on and on about the size of the team and said how it is nice to finally have size. I wanted to turn around and ask him if he had been under a rock for the last two years.

That is a fair ranking, especially when you factor in the size and presence of Tarc inside and his defense. I think York is our second most important player though, or will be our second best, when you take into account we really need a scorer and shooter on the perimeter. I'd start Allen for the time being, but I don't think he is going to get big consistent starter minutes, with them fluctuating depending on how the game is playing out and how his teammates are doing. He's fine out there when he has the seniors with him to help on offense. On a rough offensive night, I see those numbers dropping. I think we PCJ and York, and maybe even Trier getting some time at the point, again, the flow of the game dictating that.

I really wanted to see more of Simon, and when he was out there my son was getting squirmy and they were playing D on the other end of the court, so I honestly did not get to even zero in on him on defense. He's explosive though, he beat his man any time he wanted to, he's going to be a good one in a few years.

It's going to take some time for Miller to find out which pieces work together and which do not. We started that game on a 15-2 run. I was thinking, damn, this team is way better than I thought, knowing what we still had on the bench. Four subs came in, with Tollefsen staying out there, and the offense was stagnant and the defense was below average. Think chico state went on a 10-2 run or something like that. There were several points in the game where you would say, well, that combo's not working. Not worried, because our eight best are versatile outside of Dusan. I'd like to see if Miller throws out a three guard starting lineup. Allen, York, Trier, Anderson, Tarc. Based on what I saw last night, think that provides us the best balance on offense and upgrades our speed and quickness, but it's going to depend on Trier defending better.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Takeaways from last night for me:

Anderson, Zeus and Ristic will be the foundation of this team.

The perimeter rotation has a lot of evolution to do. PJC was bad in the first half. Simon didn't look a part of the rotation, but showed a lot of promise when he was in. Other than that, Pitts and York looked like vets, Trier shot poorly but looked mature and skilled and Allen probably got a stronger hold on a starting slot.

Defensively, we looked strong at times, but there's a ways to go. There's a learning curve the younguns need with the pack line. Offensively, we need to play inside out. When they played zone, we didn't effectively get the ball to the high post.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I was so happy Chico played zone . . . but I was not happy with the results on our end. We turned the ball over way too often trying to pass through it instead of over the top. Of our ten TOs, I would bet 7 were against the zone.

Good stuff to go over during practice this week.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:I was so happy Chico played zone . . . but I was not happy with the results on our end. We turned the ball over way too often trying to pass through it instead of over the top. Of our ten TOs, I would bet 7 were against the zone.

We had very little cutting against the zone. There was a lot of hot potato on the perimeter while someone hung out at the freethrow line. Then, occasionally forcing the ball to that guy. If you use the high post, you need someone to cut to the ball or passes get picked.

Ristic and Zeus in the short corner is an underrated weapon against a zone that we only utilized once or twice.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I thought Anderson was going to be very good and he might even be a bit better than I thought he would be. His line was ridiculous: 19 points on 8/9 shooting, 10 rebounds, probably four blocks (?), 2 personal fouls. Super impressive.

York played well as did Tarc. Only 4 rebounds from Tarc, but that's probably only a couple under his typical average. But both had good, efficient outings and when paired with Anderson form a good base for this team.

The PG situation seems wide open. I will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Freshmen generally looked like freshmen but you can see the talent there.

The big problem for me was Tollefsen. In my opinion he needs to up his game and fast (4 points, 1 rebound, 0-2 FT against Chico State?) and seeing as he's a fourth/fifth(?) year senior I'm not sure how much chance there is of that happening. Perhaps other people saw him doing some good things that I missed but if someone was going to ask me for our biggest issue right now that/he would be it by far. Obviously it's early but the issue(s) there felt pretty glaring to me.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I wouldn't get too shook up about Tollefsen yet. His jumper wasn't falling, but he's a senior who's shot well before. It will. Defensively, he gives us a ton of length at the 3, and that helped the first unit.

If there was an aspect he needs to improve, it's more activity on the glass. Beyond that, the shots will fall and he'll contribute. He was never going to be a star, but can give us length, D and lineup flexibility.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Our veteran lineup of Allen, York, Tollefsen, Anderson and Tarc is going to be a beast in the half court. Allen surprised me the most based on preseason hype. He is big, physical and athletic. My biggest concern with the veteran lineup is overall team speed/quickness. Can Tollefsen guard wings? Not sure. The freshman class looked very good (even without Smith) with major upside potential. Trier is going to command significant minutes early. Miller is going to have fun playing with the lineups.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Starting lineup of rs junior, senior, rs senior, rs senior and senior is very rare.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Every one covered most of everything, but one of my biggest takeaways is Justin Simon needs to play more. If Pitts plays like he did last night then Simon should absolutely take all of his minutes. Truthfully he should probably anyways, there's one thing Pitts does better than Simon at this juncture and that's shoot the ball.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

The Gumby said somewhere he was going to scout Zags in their Saturday(Sunday?) game. Wish he would share that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Starting lineup of rs junior, senior, rs senior, rs senior and senior is very rare.
For a school like Arizona it sure is. For a school like Wichita State for example, it's the norm.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pitts also defends better, according to Miller.
EOCT wrote:The Gumby said somewhere he was going to scout Zags in their Saturday(Sunday?) game. Wish he would share that.
Zags are better than Eastern Oregon. Way better. Seriously.

They are massive. Wiltjer had 33. Sabonis took a spill and didn't play much. Tailbone bruise or something, Karnowski has a big ol beard and a nasty lefty jump hook (without the jump).

Kinda like us at guard. Uncertainty. Replacing Bell and Pangos. Eric McClellan and Josh Perkins started, which makes them quicker than last year, better able to get into paint, but they don't shoot it as well.

McClellan is a senior and played at Vandy, before getting into some trouble. He was never 100 percent last year. Perkins played quite a bit last year before breaking jaw. Also have Silas Melson, who was cut from USA 19 team.

Kyle Dragninis, the 6-8 wing, is their Swiss Army Knife, to borrow Lavin's term.

They will be very difficult to beat at their place (well, period). Front line is impressive and Wiltjer can score from all over the court. Wish we had Rondae to check him.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Every one covered most of everything, but one of my biggest takeaways is Justin Simon needs to play more. If Pitts plays like he did last night then Simon should absolutely take all of his minutes. Truthfully he should probably anyways, there's one thing Pitts does better than Simon at this juncture and that's shoot the ball.
I'm still surprised Simon seems so low in the rotation. There were times Simon got out of position on D, but geez, he has so much potential. Comparing his game to how Pitts and PJC played last night...I don't know how he doesn't get a look in the rotation.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Defensively, we looked strong at times, but there's a ways to go. There's a learning curve the younguns need with the pack line. Offensively, we need to play inside out. When they played zone, we didn't effectively get the ball to the high post.
I thought the defense was pretty bad overall. Help defense was atrocious. I know we had three freshman on the floor late in the game, but Miller played zone.

Also, no thanks to Tollefson at the 3. He's a stretch 4 and plays well next to Ristic.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Defensively, we looked strong at times, but there's a ways to go. There's a learning curve the younguns need with the pack line. Offensively, we need to play inside out. When they played zone, we didn't effectively get the ball to the high post.
I thought the defense was pretty bad overall. Help defense was atrocious. I know we had three freshman on the floor late in the game, but Miller played zone.

Also, no thanks to Tollefson at the 3. He's a stretch 4 and plays well next to Ristic.
If Miller starts playing zone a bit more this year that would mean he will be playing to his players' strengths and weaknesses, which would certainly be nice to see from your head coach.

In regards to Simon you can see he's a Rondae in the making. Can't shoot worth a lick, but damn he just has so much natural ability. You have to find a way to get that guy on the floor and get him better for a title run next year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:

We had flashes, like the first 5 minutes, where we looked good, and the 15-2 run in the second half. Overall, like I said, we have a good amount to work on. I agree on rotations being bad, and certain players just weren't good stopping penetration. There were enough flashes of what could be that I was encouraged.

Screw the zone.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

gumby wrote:Pitts also defends better, according to Miller.
EOCT wrote:The Gumby said somewhere he was going to scout Zags in their Saturday(Sunday?) game. Wish he would share that.
Zags are better than Eastern Oregon. Way better. Seriously.

They are massive. Wiltjer had 33. Sabonis took a spill and didn't play much. Tailbone bruise or something, Karnowski has a big ol beard and a nasty lefty jump hook (without the jump).

Kinda like us at guard. Uncertainty. Replacing Bell and Pangos. Eric McClellan and Josh Perkins started, which makes them quicker than last year, better able to get into paint, but they don't shoot it as well.

McClellan is a senior and played at Vandy, before getting into some trouble. He was never 100 percent last year. Perkins played quite a bit last year before breaking jaw. Also have Silas Melson, who was cut from USA 19 team.

Kyle Dragninis, the 6-8 wing, is their Swiss Army Knife, to borrow Lavin's term.

They will be very difficult to beat at their place (well, period). Front line is impressive and Wiltjer can score from all over the court. Wish we had Rondae to check him.
Wow, thanks for the great analysis, Gumby.

Is there any way we can handle KW? Seems like he's just going to tear it up this year. Who would you mark him with from our personnel?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I would think Tollefsen would get a long look vs Wiltjer. Wiltjer isn't super strong or athletic, but you have to guard him inside and out. Right now, Tollefsen is our most versatile defender. That allows you to save Zeus/Ristic/Anderson for Karnowski and Sabonis, too, and we need the physicality there.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:I was so happy Chico played zone . . . but I was not happy with the results on our end. We turned the ball over way too often trying to pass through it instead of over the top. Of our ten TOs, I would bet 7 were against the zone.

We had very little cutting against the zone. There was a lot of hot potato on the perimeter while someone hung out at the freethrow line. Then, occasionally forcing the ball to that guy. If you use the high post, you need someone to cut to the ball or passes get picked.

Ristic and Zeus in the short corner is an underrated weapon against a zone that we only utilized once or twice.
We seem to have a team tailor made to destroy a zone. Tollefson & Anderson have great handles for the size and pass extremely well. Plus, their mid-range game is great for catching at the high post and either shooting or distributing. Zeus & Ristic have shown promise on their jumpers as well. Trier, Pitts, PJC & York can all knock down the 3. Tollefson too. Once everyone is on the same page, I wouldn't expect us to struggle against a zone.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One other thing, it's better to play a competent team without the horses than even a disorganized midmajor. Chico was clearly a well coached team that was ready to play and executed. That forced us to play a structured game. That is just what this team needs. We have the horses, but being confronted with a team that executes was better than just athletically overwhelming a team that just rolled the ball out.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I would think Tollefsen would get a long look vs Wiltjer. Wiltjer isn't super strong or athletic, but you have to guard him inside and out. Right now, Tollefsen is our most versatile defender. That allows you to save Zeus/Ristic/Anderson for Karnowski and Sabonis, too, and we need the physicality there.
I think that happens out of necessity and his length helps, but despite Wiltjer's physical limitations I think he would absolutely torch Tollefsen based on what I saw a few nights back. The inside, outside versatility, and the pick and pop or roll. I don't think we have an answer for him, just do the best we can and cross our fingers it is not his night. He didn't kill us last year, 15 points on 15 shots, but he was a handful and he was the guy who had us holding our breath every time he touched the ball. And last year, we had versatile defenders like Rondae and Stanley that could guard him or effectively switch on screens and not give up much to a guard or Wiltjer. We don't have that this year, but then again, we don't have to deal with Pangos, Bell and Wesley either. I agree our bigs need to be saved for theirs, and they also got that second 7-footer who is supposed to be pretty decent from what I heard.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I would think Tollefsen would get a long look vs Wiltjer. Wiltjer isn't super strong or athletic, but you have to guard him inside and out. Right now, Tollefsen is our most versatile defender. That allows you to save Zeus/Ristic/Anderson for Karnowski and Sabonis, too, and we need the physicality there.
I think that happens out of necessity and his length helps, but despite Wiltjer's physical limitations I think he would absolutely torch Tollefsen based on what I saw a few nights back. The inside, outside versatility, and the pick and pop or roll. I don't think we have an answer for him, just do the best we can and cross our fingers it is not his night. He didn't kill us last year, 15 points on 15 shots, but he was a handful and he was the guy who had us holding our breath every time he touched the ball. And last year, we had versatile defenders like Rondae and Stanley that could guard him or effectively switch on screens and not give up much to a guard or Wiltjer. We don't have that this year, but then again, we don't have to deal with Pangos, Bell and Wesley either. I agree our bigs need to be saved for theirs, and they also got that second 7-footer who is supposed to be pretty decent from what I heard.
Wiltjer is good. Good players are probably gonna get theirs, and he is by far the hardest Zag to guard and stop.

Tollefsen doesn't have to stop him, just reduce his efficiency and keep him from the really easy shots. Frankly, I think the biggest deal vs Zaga is ball pressure against their wing guys. If they are allowed to make entry passes easily and regularly, Karnowski, Sabonis and Wiltjer are too good to be significantly limited if they get the ball where they want it. Making it hard to enter the ball and forcing them to catch outside their comfort zone would be my job 1.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

carolinacat wrote: We seem to have a team tailor made to destroy a zone. Tollefson & Anderson have great handles for the size and pass extremely well. Plus, their mid-range game is great for catching at the high post and either shooting or distributing. Zeus & Ristic have shown promise on their jumpers as well. Trier, Pitts, PJC & York can all knock down the 3. Tollefson too. Once everyone is on the same page, I wouldn't expect us to struggle against a zone.
Expecting Tollefsen's shooting night to not normally look as it did the other night, I too like him at the center of that zone with him appearing to be a pretty solid triple threat from that spot. I don't want Anderson in that role though unless absolutely needed. I want him around the basket as much as I can because he is an ungodly offensive rebounder and finishes well around the rim.

I agree with TucsonClip's preference of Tollefsen being a stretch 4, brought it up in my assessment of that game as well. But throw a zone at us, I'm fully supportive of him being a 3 if Anderson and Tarc/Zeus are already out there.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I think so, too. Really, who else? Simon and Trier are too short. Anderson isn't as agile. Smith is out. Comanche would get schooled.

GU beat USF three times last year. First game was a 30-point blowout. Last two were competitive.

In the second game, Wiltjer had 29 and Tolly had 18. In the WCC tournament, Tolly had 21 and Wiltjer had 19.

GU does a lot of high-low with him. Need long arms out there on him. Think teams will start doubling him and seeing if the guards can hit.

Wouldn't read anything into Tolly's exhibition performance. He is better than that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
carolinacat wrote: We seem to have a team tailor made to destroy a zone. Tollefson & Anderson have great handles for the size and pass extremely well. Plus, their mid-range game is great for catching at the high post and either shooting or distributing. Zeus & Ristic have shown promise on their jumpers as well. Trier, Pitts, PJC & York can all knock down the 3. Tollefson too. Once everyone is on the same page, I wouldn't expect us to struggle against a zone.
Expecting Tollefsen's shooting night to not normally look as it did the other night, I too like him at the center of that zone with him appearing to be a pretty solid triple threat from that spot. I don't want Anderson in that role though unless absolutely needed. I want him around the basket as much as I can because he is an ungodly offensive rebounder and finishes well around the rim.

I agree with TucsonClip's preference of Tollefsen being a stretch 4, brought it up in my assessment of that game as well. But throw a zone at us, I'm fully supportive of him being a 3 if Anderson and Tarc/Zeus are already out there.
I see no issue in it being situational. When we want to be big and long, (and what man doesn't) we use Tollefsen as a 3 and accept that he does not bring the pure 3 skills. When we want to go smaller and more athletic, he can be a stretch 4. I worry about the subpar rebounding numbers at USF if we slot him as a full time 4.

He has a tweener's skill set, so there's no reason not to let him follow the path that suits him best in a particular game or time.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote:
I think so, too. Really, who else? Simon and Trier are too short. Anderson isn't as agile. Smith is out. Comanche would get schooled.

GU beat USF three times last year. First game was a 30-point blowout. Last two were competitive.

In the second game, Wiltjer had 29 and Tolly had 18. In the WCC tournament, Tolly had 21 and Wiltjer had 19.

GU does a lot of high-low with him. Need long arms out there on him. Think teams will start doubling him and seeing if the guards can hit.

Wouldn't read anything into Tolly's exhibition performance. He is better than that.
I went and checked the box score for that tournament game. Wiltjer was 8-13 (2-5 from deep) for 19 points, 8 boards and 4 assists in 26 minutes and left the game with an injury with five minutes left, so more was probably coming. The 29 point game came on 10-18 (3-6 from deep) AND 11 REBOUNDS! He had a mild 15 game performance in yet to be mentioned game of the three games, 15 points, but only on 7 shots (5-7, 3-5 from deep) in 26 minutes on a night where it looked like a lot of the Zags were getting theirs. All in all, Wiltjer shot over 60 percent in those games and 50 percent from three. Yikes.

So, not too encouraging, but yes, I agree there is no other option.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Defense is a team thing. It's not a player out on an island...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Defense is a team thing. It's not a player out on an island...
That was essentially what I was getting at with the ball pressure point. If we let Wiltjer catch where he wants to catch and go one on one, it doesn't matter who we put on him. We're gonna have a bad time.

That's true for most good offensive players. Let them get into the spots they like and they succeed. Disrupt how they get the ball, then give help and rotate back. I'm more concerned with guards being ready for D and nailing down rotations then finding someone who can match up with Wiltjer.

We don't need a better Tollefsen than USF had. We need a better team scheme and execution.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

There is individual defense which is kind of like defending on an island and there is team defense when all five guys work together. Arizona has incredible team d with a few really good individual defenders and some average individual defenders. The opposite was the Suns of years ago with awful team d but two great individual guys in Bell and Marrion
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nothing really new, but nice to get some recognition for the team.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The lack of palpable buzz about this year is downright palpable...it used to be like death, taxes and Bo Ryan. #OTC, life altering.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Don't mean to nitpik Andy Katz, but you'd think he could properly pronounce Trier's name. The guy was a McD's All-America.

I get the feeling the national media is gonna have an epiphany if Arizona wins the Wooden or wins at Gonzaga. They're gonna be shocked at Ryan Anderson. Right now, he's got to be the most skilled big man in the Pac 12.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

carolinacat wrote:Don't mean to nitpik Andy Katz, but you'd think he could properly pronounce Trier's name. The guy was a McD's All-America.

I get the feeling the national media is gonna have an epiphany if Arizona wins the Wooden or wins at Gonzaga. They're gonna be shocked at Ryan Anderson. Right now, he's got to be the most skilled big man in the Pac 12.
Yeah if we do they'll be flabbergasted and wondering where Arizona and these Arizona players came from.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I always smile at the beginning of a season when people, even "experts", voice concerns about a team based on not being the team they were the year prior.

I mean last year I had to hear concerns about SJ not being a team player, and how practices weren't as smooth as they were the year before and how the team's Achilles was shooting.

This year the concern is somehow defense, because there aren't the same athletic players as RHJ on the team anymore, and there isn't a sure lotto pick on the team right now.

How is Arizona going to defend a team with all the raw talent that Cal possesses? How can we possibly play well against a team like the Zags?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

carolinacat wrote:I get the feeling the national media is gonna have an epiphany if Arizona wins the Wooden or wins at Gonzaga. They're gonna be shocked at Ryan Anderson. Right now, he's got to be the most skilled big man in the Pac 12.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2586 ... son/page/3" target="_blank

Who's the Best "Under-the-Radar" Player?

Brian Pedersen: Ryan Anderson, Arizona. He was a good player on a bad team at Boston College in 2013-14, but after sitting out last season following his transfer, he's possibly the most important piece of the Wildcats' push for another Pac-12 title. A versatile forward who can play inside and shoot, he's going to help Arizona battle again despite losing four starters.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/2861968-brian-pedersen" target="_blank

Of course hes an AZ grad, 1995.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Come on now. I get what you are getting it here, and what Spaceman is getting at below. It will take a team effort, and obviously we will be a better defensive team than USF. But lets not act like a dude getting killed by his man on defense isn't a cause for concern. He was a problem when we had elite defenders on him last year, and had one of the best defenses in the country. The team can provide help and find various ways to make life easier, but Gonzaga isn't a one-man show and we aren't talking about Lebron, Westbrook, or a pre-crippled Derrick Rose here, someone who is unguardable no matter who you throw out there. The guys down on the low blocks are going to have their hands full as is, as they are well-skilled players who match our size. As uncertain as their back court is, you know Few's guards are always solid. You can't credit guys like Rondae or AG for shutting players down and then flip the script and say it's a team thing when a guy gets creamed. There are consequences for letting your guy shoot 60 percent from the floor and 50 percent from deep shooting in volume, both individually and to the team, and it's not just what is reflected in a box score. If that was the case Miller or any coach for that matter would not be yanking guys out or switching match ups when guys were getting consistently burned by their man. And the more things the team has to do to help, the further the team is away from the defense they are used to running. I know you've watched enough basketball to see the consequences of a dude completely murdering one of our defenders, even under the Miller era.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Fans on other boards asking questions about their teams. It's that time of year.

A top 15 ranking when you lose four starters suggests widespread recognition that Arizona has plenty of talent.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jefe wrote:
carolinacat wrote:I get the feeling the national media is gonna have an epiphany if Arizona wins the Wooden or wins at Gonzaga. They're gonna be shocked at Ryan Anderson. Right now, he's got to be the most skilled big man in the Pac 12.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2586 ... son/page/3" target="_blank

Who's the Best "Under-the-Radar" Player?

Brian Pedersen: Ryan Anderson, Arizona. He was a good player on a bad team at Boston College in 2013-14, but after sitting out last season following his transfer, he's possibly the most important piece of the Wildcats' push for another Pac-12 title. A versatile forward who can play inside and shoot, he's going to help Arizona battle again despite losing four starters.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/2861968-brian-pedersen" target="_blank

Of course hes an AZ grad, 1995.
Dang. So much for under the radar.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:
Come on now. I get what you are getting it here, and what Spaceman is getting at below. It will take a team effort, and obviously we will be a better defensive team than USF. But lets not act like a dude getting killed by his man on defense isn't a cause for concern. He was a problem when we had elite defenders on him last year, and had one of the best defenses in the country. The team can provide help and find various ways to make life easier, but Gonzaga isn't a one-man show and we aren't talking about Lebron, Westbrook, or a pre-crippled Derrick Rose here, someone who is unguardable no matter who you throw out there. The guys down on the low blocks are going to have their hands full as is, as they are well-skilled players who match our size. As uncertain as their back court is, you know Few's guards are always solid. You can't credit guys like Rondae or AG for shutting players down and then flip the script and say it's a team thing when a guy gets creamed. There are consequences for letting your guy shoot 60 percent from the floor and 50 percent from deep shooting in volume, both individually and to the team, and it's not just what is reflected in a box score. If that was the case Miller or any coach for that matter would not be yanking guys out or switching match ups when guys were getting consistently burned by their man. And the more things the team has to do to help, the further the team is away from the defense they are used to running.
Shorter answer: Kaminsky. Twice. It can be a problem.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote: Shorter answer: Kaminsky. Twice. It can be a problem.
Yes.

And another game that always pops up in my head, Cal coming in two and a half years ago and beating us by double digits in McKale thanks to the Allen Crabbe show. And that was with Nick Johnson on him, though in his defense he gave up a few inches on him and it was just one of those nights. Opened up things nicely for Cobbs too.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

rgdeuce wrote:
Come on now. I get what you are getting it here, and what Spaceman is getting at below. It will take a team effort, and obviously we will be a better defensive team than USF. But lets not act like a dude getting killed by his man on defense isn't a cause for concern. He was a problem when we had elite defenders on him last year, and had one of the best defenses in the country. The team can provide help and find various ways to make life easier, but Gonzaga isn't a one-man show and we aren't talking about Lebron, Westbrook, or a pre-crippled Derrick Rose here, someone who is unguardable no matter who you throw out there. The guys down on the low blocks are going to have their hands full as is, as they are well-skilled players who match our size. As uncertain as their back court is, you know Few's guards are always solid. You can't credit guys like Rondae or AG for shutting players down and then flip the script and say it's a team thing when a guy gets creamed. There are consequences for letting your guy shoot 60 percent from the floor and 50 percent from deep shooting in volume, both individually and to the team, and it's not just what is reflected in a box score. If that was the case Miller or any coach for that matter would not be yanking guys out or switching match ups when guys were getting consistently burned by their man. And the more things the team has to do to help, the further the team is away from the defense they are used to running. I know you've watched enough basketball to see the consequences of a dude completely murdering one of our defenders, even under the Miller era.

Are you really going to lose sleep over a possible scenario that is based solely on a red/blue game and an exhibition? Or are you looking at what a player did on a team that was much different (both skill wise and coaching wise) in another conference? Or are you going to trust a system that has been a solid defensive team and appears to have the makings of a team that can be even better offensively than it has been under Miller?

For me, I'd totally trade not being in the top 10 defensively, to be one of the more fluid teams offensively--that can have multiple positions hit a jump shot from anywhere on the floor. I loved AG and RHJ, but neither could hit a jumper to save their lives when it counted.

Sure a player could get hot and go all Jimmer on us. That happens. And the same thing could happen that happened last year when a player shot the best game of their entire lives. If you think that anyone was stopping Dekker last March, then you are crazy.

I'm not losing sleep tonight over a matchup that can happen in a few weeks. I'm going to watch the new version of this team play on Friday and see what happens as the weeks go on and the team learns what it's abilities are.

Defense is not an island, that was my point. You can't convince me that one player makes or breaks a season for this team.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jimmer. *shudder*

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... ium=direct" target="_blank

Allen cramped up. Explains why he only got 15 minutes.
Miller said Allen received the start on Sunday because of his defense, but that the starter could change.

“I don’t look at it as a big, big deal,” Miller said.
Oh, but we will! :mrgreen:
Last edited by gumby on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.