let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by Newportcat »

84Cat wrote:Screw $125k
This is a big part of my point, the $125K was from the G League but players would be open to getting endorsement deals earlier too so they could make way more then that.

I think a lot more people eventually take this type of road then many think

To the 2019 class...I freaking love it and never ever doubt Miller on the recruiting trail
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

That is real money and there will definitely be kids that go this route. It is good there are options. Still, pretty unclear as to how that $ is coming to him. I am sure the agent will front whatever the kid needs/wants but that New Balance money is likely over a couple few years. No matter what he will have a new ride and a sick apartment, but he is not buying his mom a house quite yet. That is before he starts grinding on the agent fees and taxes! Welcome to the real world.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Terry Armstrong finished his visit to UNM over the weekend and should be deciding soon. Lots of recent crystal ball picks for the good guys have come in.
Going to be such a great class. Gotta think at least one of Akot/Randolph will be gone next year just based on the number of guards/wings coming in next year.

Wouldn't be shocked if Bwill went pro after this year based on practice reports and red blue game....seems like he's looked very good.

Regardless, will be a very exciting year next year and should be a national title contender once again.
I don't know about BWill. The one and done guards who get drafted have Trae Young, Sexton, DeAaron Fox type production.

I like BWill, but I doubt he'll be close to 20 ppg as a freshman.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baycat93 wrote:Honestly, if and I realize it will be almost impossible to have all of those perimeter players, but practices would be must watch.
bwill, randolph, akot v Nico, Green, Doutrive w/ armstrong rotating through. They would be the most honed backcourt/wings in the country. Arkansas level hockey subs.

Really want to see Bwill and Nico together. Keep one of Randolph/Akot. I think there is enough minutes 5 of those guys together maybe 6 if Akot is splitting time at 4.

As they say, 1st world problems.
If we had those 6, I'd play Akot heavy at the 4. I liked what I saw from Doutrive and we haven't even mentioned Barcello.
prh

Post by prh »

Look at Trevon Duval, averaged 10 points and 5.6 assists per game, was the #4 national recruit going of last year's class, and went undrafted. I don't see BW being OAD unless something goes horribly wrong or absolutely incredible for us this year. But even absolutely incredible scenario probably wouldn't do enough for him to go.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I heard the g league was losing more money than the WNBA. I assumed this was an attempt to get higher level talent to g league to help increase revenue.

PS. I made up part about “more than the WNBA”.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If the G League is now paying six figures and guys can intern and make millions, what does this mean for Lavar Ball's league?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:If the G League is now paying six figures and guys can intern and make millions, what does this mean for Lavar Ball's league?
NSFW link.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2018/10/ ... l-pic-vid/" target="_blank
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Ball’s league will surpass the NBA in two years and become the top pro league in the world.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Postmaster wrote:Ball’s league will surpass the NBA in two years and become the top pro league in the world.
He's already selling cheaper Big Baller sneakers, so I'm guessing his league will soon be worth less than the gear LiAngelo stole in China.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
84Cat wrote:Screw $125k
This is a big part of my point, the $125K was from the G League but players would be open to getting endorsement deals earlier too so they could make way more then that.

I think a lot more people eventually take this type of road then many think

To the 2019 class...I freaking love it and never ever doubt Miller on the recruiting trail
I mean between now and 2022 I dont agree with you at all. Afterwards though....

Let me remind you this is fucking New Balance we're talking about here and it's an experiment on their part. If it doesn't work they probably wont be doing it again. Nike, Adidas, and the usual suspects aren't going to give kids ranked less than 15ish in their class this kind of money to be an intern.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
That sounds promising on Armstrong.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Yep.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jeremiah Robinson-Earl is reportedly likely to head to Villanova, which makes things easier for Kansas to land Zeke Nnaji. It'll be either us or KU for Nnaji. If he goes to KU that's probably it for this class outside of a transfer unless we can pull a rabbit out of our hat for Timme who's visiting this upcoming weekend, but I wouldn't count on it.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Terry Armstong's gonna do what Terry Armstrong's gonna do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7zDTniyOA0" target="_blank
Last edited by cpt on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Jeremiah Robinson-Earl is reportedly likely to head to Villanova, which makes things easier for Kansas to land Zeke Nnaji. It'll be either us or KU for Nnaji. If he goes to KU that's probably it for this class outside of a transfer unless we can pull a rabbit out of our hat for Timme who's visiting this upcoming weekend, but I wouldn't count on it.
Yeah, I think Nnaji & Robinson-Earl have looking tough gets for a while. Getting Nnaji would be cool or maybe a grad transfer in the fall but imo the froncourt depth is fine as it currently projects.

PGs: Nico Mannion, Brandon Williams, Alex Barcello
Wings: Emmanuel Akot, Brandon Randolph, Dylan Smith, Josh Green, Terry Armstrong, Devonaire Doutrive
Bigs: Chase Jeter, Stone Gettings, Ira Lee, Christian Koloko

Obviously a lot and will change with the roster (Smith hopefully) but the clear strength is at PG & the wing. The frontcourt just has to rebound and defend and get easy buckets down low. I would just run 1 Big | 3 Wings | 1 PG or 1 Big | 2 Wings | 2 PGs at all times. Emmanuel Akot returning will be the most important thing for this happening.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Jeremiah Robinson-Earl is reportedly likely to head to Villanova, which makes things easier for Kansas to land Zeke Nnaji. It'll be either us or KU for Nnaji. If he goes to KU that's probably it for this class outside of a transfer unless we can pull a rabbit out of our hat for Timme who's visiting this upcoming weekend, but I wouldn't count on it.
Yeah, I think Nnaji & Robinson-Earl have looking tough gets for a while. Getting Nnaji would be cool or maybe a grad transfer in the fall but imo the froncourt depth is fine as it currently projects.

PGs: Nico Mannion, Brandon Williams, Alex Barcello
Wings: Emmanuel Akot, Brandon Randolph, Dylan Smith, Josh Green, Terry Armstrong, Devonaire Doutrive
Bigs: Chase Jeter, Stone Gettings, Ira Lee, Christian Koloko

Obviously a lot and will change with the roster (Smith hopefully) but the clear strength is at PG & the wing. The frontcourt just has to rebound and defend and get easy buckets down low. I would just run 1 Big | 3 Wings | 1 PG or 1 Big | 2 Wings | 2 PGs at all times. Emmanuel Akot returning will be the most important thing for this happening.
Man that team's PG and Wing situation is incredible...has me really really excited for next year. Think Smith and potentially one of Akot/Randolph are gone next year, but even still the depth is fantastic. Don't think we necessarily need a big in this class either since the big depth in 2019 will be fine. I think a traditional transfer of a 4/5 would make sense though seeing as Jeter and Gettings will both be gone after next year.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Honestly at this point, I really hope we land Nnaji to fuck with Kansas. They also lose Robinson-Earl to Villanova and Matthew Hurt goes elsewhere too
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Honestly at this point, I really hope we land Nnaji to fuck with Kansas. They also lose Robinson-Earl to Villanova and Matthew Hurt goes elsewhere too
I mean fuck Kansas always. Sign me up for them landing and a class of all Mitch Lightfoots yearly.

Akot returning next season makes the needs for another 4 man moot. Traditional transfer is definitely the way to go.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Very exciting roster composition. Akot's play (and return) this year will definitely determine the direction with the next 1 or 2 roster spots.

A guy like Doutrive coming in and grabbing some PT by throat will certainly affect other player's futures/decisions. Love he felt like he had enough confidence in himself that his commitment brought legitimacy to the program during tumultuous times.

These teams are going to need to employ some Michigan St. level rebounding practice!

Bear Down. Can't wait to see how this year's current team plays and evolve's. Could define/redefine Miller as a coach and will certainly shed light on how '19 might look.
Last edited by baycat93 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Traditional transfer is definitely the way to go.
Have we ever been this far along with recruiting a year in advance? This is nuts, we're basically set
prh

Post by prh »

The last few years, we've been panicking about recruiting around this time, just to have it all fall into place a few months later. The current state of this class is mind blowing
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Traditional transfer is definitely the way to go.
Have we ever been this far along with recruiting a year in advance? This is nuts, we're basically set
Oh yeah plenty of times. The spring signees is more of a recent thing. If last year didn't go to shit due to the FBI we would've had our class finished by fall as well. 2017 we were done in the fall outside of Akot reclassifying, 2016 was the crazy class with 3 spring signees in Simmons, Alkins, and Pinder, 2015 was all fall guys, 2014 Ristic was a spring signee, AG the year prior to that, and every thing outside of the crazy 2009 class and the JUCO guys in the 2010 class were fall guys.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Pretty cool if he comes to Tucson. Hope to be smiling tomorrow.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Quite a wait
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Is Arizona where it needs to be? ;)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

prh

Post by prh »

EastCoastCat wrote:Is Arizona where it needs to be? ;)
Competing against Oklahoma and New Mexico? Seems like a good place to me. But would love to see 97 pop in with his famous line
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm not sure what more confirmation you guys need here?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm not sure what more confirmation you guys need here?
After the last year? I don't take anything for granted.

If I get cocky, ESPN's next headline will be about how Wilbur was picked up on a wire with Christian Dawkins discussing $ for Armstrong.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If I get cocky, ESPN's next headline will be about how Wilbur was picked up on a wire with Christian Dawkins discussing $ for Armstrong.
That's two different things.

Knowing Terry Armstrong is committing to Arizona later today is different from being worried another bomb will drop and nuke Arizona's recruiting class. If you're worried about the latter, don't get excited about the 2019 class until they're enrolled and playing in the red/blue game.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

In Choo I trust.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That's two different things.

Knowing Terry Armstrong is committing to Arizona later today is different from being worried another bomb will drop and nuke Arizona's recruiting class. If you're worried about the latter, don't get excited about the 2019 class until they're enrolled and playing in the red/blue game.
I mean in the general sense that it feels like we're cursed.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I mean in the general sense that it feels like we're cursed.
With you on that one...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

It's this guy's website, think they published their prewritten article early
NYCat wrote:
Edit: tweet got deleted

Here's the quotes anyway
I think all that stuff [scandals] doesn’t matter he believes in me so that’s a reason why I believe in him, and he’s had players come in like me,” Armstrong told Stockrisers

Armstrong, a four-star guard from Michigan now playing at Scottsdale’s Bella Vista Prep. He chose Arizona over New Mexico and Oklahoma.

Why?

“I just felt that it was the best fit for me I really liked the coaching staff and the environment. I’ll be able to come right in and make an impact at the wing spot. It was great [his visit] I had a good time the staff and players treated me well as if I was already on the team and the people in Tucson were very nice I just felt good about being there.”

Rest of 2019 class?

“I spoke to Nico and Josh about everything and they feel like we can make a big impact.”

What kind of player is Arizona getting?

“Arizona is getting a team-first player I want to win and I’m an all-around player and compete on both ends of the floor.”
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Boom...we own PHX
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I know it’s early, but we’re looking like a lock for a top 5 ‘19 class.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Arizona high school basketball took a big jump. Our whole class played high school ball in AZ.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

How many do we have left to add? I would really like to stay local and add Deng to the class. Good prospect to develop
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SunnyAZ wrote:Arizona high school basketball took a big jump. Our whole class played high school ball in AZ.
Minus Koloko.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Nice. With him, Green, Doutrive and hopefully Akot and Randolph, we'll have a slew of athletic, multipositional guys.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

whatisee wrote:How many do we have left to add? I would really like to stay local and add Deng to the class. Good prospect to develop
Hard pass on Deng. Guy has not developed one bit. Add a big to this class whether a high school kid or transfer and we're done.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

This class is so fucking crazy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Welcome to the family young man. Excited to see this class in action.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Nico Mannion new highlights from Pinnacle's first game:

https://youtu.be/6fxYqmFzaRo" target="_blank
Terry Armstrong was on the opposing team.
Armstrong really impressed me in this video by the way.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It will be interesting to see how we screw this all up.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alieberman wrote:It will be interesting to see how we screw this all up.
By thumbing our nose at fate, of course.