Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Are the Louisville violations all after the Pitino hookers and blow stuff?
Yes, I believe so. That’s why they were so quick to fire DukieV’s bestie.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Book stuff he pleaded guilty to. Like other schools like OK St who already received theirs, that's a Level 1 infraction.

Arizona will receive that at minimum. It's the other stuff that we don't know what the NCAA will do.

There might be some kind of "failure to promote atmosphere of compliance" level 2 for the program and Miller, but again we don't know for sure.
It's not yet a Level 1 infraction for OSU, just a charge, and one that is going to be tough to justify, even with Evans going farther than Book in actually facilitating a meeting between a player and the FBI agents posed as the payer. OSU received a Formal Notice of Allegations from the Enforcement side of the NCAA stating their "charges" could be a Level 1 if the Committee on Infractions finds it to be, but the notice is pretty thin. The language of the notice states Evans "...violated the NCAA principles of ethical conduct when he knowingly solicited and received benefits for facilitating or arranging a meeting between student-athletes and financial advisors."

This all points to a single coach acting outside of the program and in a way that does not benefit the program. And it doesn't even involve actually facilitating or arranging a meeting between players and advisors/agents in Book's case. Evans actually did facilitate some meetings, which means he acted upon the scheme. In Book's case, it was just money taken for that purpose, but never actually involved a player. It's like if an assistant received payments to get some athletes to come to a club or sign autographs, but never actually solicited the athletes to do so. He scammed the money men. He got busted. That's a criminal action, like a DUI or robbing a liquor store.

The FBI called the schools a "victim" of this scheme. It would be pretty ugly for the NCAA to come in and hammer the victim. What...the schools should never have worn that dress? It just seems like a Mack Truck-size hole in the case for a Level 1 infraction. Even for OSU, where the assistant acted upon the scheme. It would be even more unjustified to move against Arizona for an assistant taking money and doing nothing.

Also, there was a small self-reported violation involving Evans giving a player $300, which is not that big, but further tips the scales in a way not present in a potential Arizona notice of allegations
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What an asshole.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Vitale needs to get the rona
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I agree there will be a level 1 violation but I don't ever hear Dickie V talking about ESPN's cash cow Kansas. There will not be as many violations as Kansas and you will not have wire taps /emails saying to NIKE that we need to just get a couple of players. Why would a coach ever say that to a shoe company guy? Why would a shoe guy ever say "have I ever let you down other than Ayton"???
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TheCat wrote:I agree there will be a level 1 violation but I don't ever hear Dickie V talking about ESPN's cash cow Kansas. There will not be as many violations as Kansas and you will not have wire taps /emails saying to NIKE that we need to just get a couple of players. Why would a coach ever say that to a shoe company guy? Why would a shoe guy ever say "have I ever let you down other than Ayton"???
What will the level 1 violation be for?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

azgreg wrote:What an asshole.
Delaying the process is the COVID? How long has the process been going on? How long COVID? Maybe the violations are not as easy as to justify/find then they were at Kansas and the others? Believe me when I say ESPN wields enormous power over amateur athletics and if they want something bad enough the NCAA will try to get it for them. Yes we will get a level 1 dealing with a head coach controling the aspects of his entire program (Book) what else they charge is what I am waiting for. Do they have any evidence Miller was paying Ayton $10K per mo.?

As I have always said....follow the money and it appears when they did that they ended up on Kansas's doorstep.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
TheCat wrote:I agree there will be a level 1 violation but I don't ever hear Dickie V talking about ESPN's cash cow Kansas. There will not be as many violations as Kansas and you will not have wire taps /emails saying to NIKE that we need to just get a couple of players. Why would a coach ever say that to a shoe company guy? Why would a shoe guy ever say "have I ever let you down other than Ayton"???
As a head coach you are responsible for the actions of your staff and others associated with the program.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This thread started two and a half years ago. For two and a half years we’ve been hearing that the hammer is about to fall on Arizona.

But DukieDick thinks the Rona is the only thing holding up NCAA charges against us? That senile old fuck needs to retire from everything.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TheCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
As a head coach you are responsible for the actions of your staff and others associated with the program.
And Book broke what NCAA rules?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TheCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:What an asshole.
Delaying the process is the COVID? How long has the process been going on? How long COVID? Maybe the violations are not as easy as to justify/find then they were at Kansas and the others? Believe me when I say ESPN wields enormous power over amateur athletics and if they want something bad enough the NCAA will try to get it for them. Yes we will get a level 1 dealing with a head coach controling the aspects of his entire program (Book) what else they charge is what I am waiting for. Do they have any evidence Miller was paying Ayton $10K per mo.?

As I have always said....follow the money and it appears when they did that they ended up on Kansas's doorstep.
So you think the NCAA is gonna give a BS ruling on U of A just to make ESPN not look as bad as they have the last two plus years? Look for some crazy legal battles if so
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

PHXCATS wrote:
TheCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Yes. Book solicited funds under the pretense of improper benefits. It is a level 1, but who knows the severity of how it is approached since the NCAA cleared the family “solicited” for (Quinerly) making player immediately eligible, and the Feds confirmed that not one cent went to them, hence Book only being charged for Bribery, not Conspiracy. So Book committed a Level 1 in word but not deed.

One that occurred, in theory a second Level 1 could be charged against Miller for lack of institutional control, but, from what I understand, this is with a history of non-compliance (so like Louisville) and Arizona has a history of self-reporting and compliance, so, again, even if both Level 1 Infractions are charged, there is enough proof to make Arizona look better against them than worse, which should mitigate punishment as both have tiers of severity. Arizona could be charged with both, and both could be the mildest punishment, which would be Probation. I don’t believe Arizona will ONLY get probation. But, when looking at it compared to other programs and their charges/punishment, I think what most anticipate is:

Probation + 1 Scholarship Reduction for 2 years + partial season suspension for Miller

But not Postseason Ban, not multiple Scholarship reductions, not anything as severe for Miller as what other programs are facing.

If the NCAA doubles down and tries, everything I heard is Arizona will sue because of precedent already established, largely by OK State.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

JMarkJohns wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
TheCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Yes. Book solicited funds under the pretense of improper benefits. It is a level 1, but who knows the severity of how it is approached since the NCAA cleared the family “solicited” for (Quinerly) making player immediately eligible, and the Feds confirmed that not one cent went to them, hence Book only being charged for Bribery, not Conspiracy. So Book committed a Level 1 in word but not deed.

One that occurred, in theory a second Level 1 could be charged against Miller for lack of institutional control, but, from what I understand, this is with a history of non-compliance (so like Louisville) and Arizona has a history of self-reporting and compliance, so, again, even if both Level 1 Infractions are charged, there is enough proof to make Arizona look better against them than worse, which should mitigate punishment as both have tiers of severity. Arizona could be charged with both, and both could be the mildest punishment, which would be Probation. I don’t believe Arizona will ONLY get probation. But, when looking at it compared to other programs and their charges/punishment, I think what most anticipate is:

Probation + 1 Scholarship Reduction for 2 years + partial season suspension for Miller

But not Postseason Ban, not multiple Scholarship reductions, not anything as severe for Miller as what other programs are facing.

If the NCAA doubles down and tries, everything I heard is Arizona will sue because of precedent already established, largely by OK State.
I think we see probation and thats it
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I can’t believe you guys aren’t talking about Duke blowing up with Zion stuff this morning.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I can’t believe you guys aren’t talking about Duke blowing up with Zion stuff this morning.
You mean this?
Vitale doesn't care.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
TheCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Fwiw what may come down on Arizona more than any of this is Rawle's transcripts and Book's claims that he paid someone to change them. As far as I know there's zero proof of that, but kangaroo court and all.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I just scrolled through all the CBB talking heads and not one of them mentioned the Duke stuff on their Twitter lol.

Well except Titus and Tate because that is kinda their whole bit lol
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

SunnyAZ wrote:I just scrolled through all the CBB talking heads and not one of them mentioned the Duke stuff on their Twitter lol.

Well except Titus and Tate because that is kinda their whole bit lol
Titus and Tate are by far the best in the college game
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Duke is untouchable. ESPN has to begrudgingly report it, but few analysts and reporters are going to commit to it. No one should be surprised about this story — everyone knows Duke doesn’t play by the rules. One of the top ten most difficult institutions to get accepted to admits 2-3 top ten recruits a year, none which are academically qualified. The past 2 years have been filled with stories of corruption in college basketball by the biggest programs, but Duke is clean? There was evidence of Kansas offering benefits to Zion, but he went to Duke for free? Of course Duke’s network of boosters took care of Zion.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If Vitale weren't a hypocrite, he'd say, "Disgusting! What do you say now, Duke Nation? Does this low-life, cheating act by Coach K represent any kind of class program in corlege basketborl? My contacts say Duke is going to get smashed so hard by the NCAA nobody will remember what they had for breakfast!!!!"
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Longhorned wrote:If Vitale weren't a hypocrite, he'd say, "Disgusting! What do you say now, Duke Nation? Does this low-life, cheating act by Coach K represent any kind of class program in corlege basketborl? My contacts say Duke is going to get smashed so hard by the NCAA nobody will remember what they had for breakfast!!!!"
And he would have been hammering Bill Self for the past year and a half. The only thing he said about Self was to let the process play out and not to jump to conclusions. What a piece of sh*t.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Longhorned wrote:I can’t believe you guys aren’t talking about Duke blowing up with Zion stuff this morning.
Duke could could be banned from post season play and ESPN would still spin it into Miller is a cheater, and lier, and we should all feel bad that a national championship is being stolen from Duke. Because whatever year they'd miss would totally be the year they would've won it all.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nice to see this agent, who got stiffede by Zion, go after him and Duke. We all know he got paid as have all of those guys coach K has coached. We can only hope he denies it and then they go to court and we will see if he lies under oath
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon May 11, 2020 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

azcat49 wrote:Nice to see this agent, who got stuffed by Zion, go after him and Duke. We all know he got paid as have all of those guys coach K and coached. We can only hope he denies it and then they go to court and we will see if he lies under oath
In all seriousness, that does become a potential problem because Coach K could be deposed in that lawsuit, and suddenly his answers will have real consequences because of the nature of the legal proceeding. That said, without reading the pleadings, I don't really know what Duke has to do with a lawsuit between Zion and his former agent -- one would assume their dispute is about commissions and future commissions that pertain to his professional career. Duke's legal team will work overtime to remove the Duke component from this lawsuit.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

midnightx wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Nice to see this agent, who got stuffed by Zion, go after him and Duke. We all know he got paid as have all of those guys coach K and coached. We can only hope he denies it and then they go to court and we will see if he lies under oath
In all seriousness, that does become a potential problem because Coach K could be deposed in that lawsuit, and suddenly his answers will have real consequences because of the nature of the legal proceeding. That said, without reading the pleadings, I don't really know what Duke has to do with a lawsuit between Zion and his former agent -- one would assume their dispute is about commissions and future commissions that pertain to his professional career. Duke's legal team will work overtime to remove the Duke component from this lawsuit.
The premise is that if Zion was paid, he was ineligible at Duke, and thus this woman's agency and her contract with Zion were unable to be voided and she is owed her money.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

dmjcat wrote:
I doubt anything will come of it. Zion Williamson won't talk.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Omerta.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Catintheheat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
I doubt anything will come of it. Zion Williamson won't talk.
He will have to in a deposition. He can't take the 5th because this isn't a case with criminal implications. If Zion doesn't want to talk and wants to save Coach K and Duke, he will have to consider entering into a settlement with his former agent.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Coach K you know is on the phone telling him to settle LOL. THat girl is bringing the hammer and is going to get paid
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the top 25 or so ALL get paid in some form or fashion

every

single

one
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

97cats wrote:the top 25 or so ALL get paid in some form or fashion

every

single

one

Unless they go to Kansas.

Signed
enfuego
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

every

single

one
And it ALL needs to be clearly reported, and be "on the table", for everyone to see and judge.

That's the ONLY way anything in collegiate sports and/or NCAA "regulation" will change.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

every

single

one
Not the ones who go to Duke. They regularly turn down six figure handshakes from scum buckets like Sean Miller just to stand close enough to Coach K to smell his Designer Imposters aftershave.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

just a reminder to folks about Head Coach Control.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/legislative ... ontrol.pdf" target="_blank
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Not the ones who go to Duke. They regularly turn down six figure handshakes from scum buckets like Sean Miller just to stand close enough to Coach K to smell his Designer Imposters aftershave.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

azgreg wrote:just a reminder to folks about Head Coach Control.

If you read the whole thing it can be disputed as long as you can prove that you promoted an atmosphere of compliance. And according to some on this board with way more knowledge than the rest of us in these matters, CSM has kept logs of these actions.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
azgreg wrote:just a reminder to folks about Head Coach Control.

If you read the whole thing it can be disputed as long as you can prove that you promoted an atmosphere of compliance. And according to some on this board with way more knowledge than the rest of us in these matters, CSM has kept logs of these actions.
I don't disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if we get out of this with a slap on the wrist.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

So how screwed do we think we are? Maybe they'll "drop the hammer" with a post-season ban and give us "time served" for 2020. ;)
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Arizona’s attorneys better be ready to fight like hell. Because there’s been no hard evidence made public that would prove anything other than Book Richardson was an idiot. And that’s not an NCAA violation. Zero proof any players benefitted at all. Zero proof Miller knew about Book’s actions. Tons of documentation that Miller followed NCAA compliance to a T.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

azpatnca wrote:So how screwed do we think we are? Maybe they'll "drop the hammer" with a post-season ban and give us "time served" for 2020. ;)
The ncaa is a joke. Wouldn't doubt they don't do much of anything to everyone involved. I could see the ncaa putting us on probation and taking a scholarship spot or two away for a couple years. But then again who knows
I said what I said and I mean it.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

zonagrad wrote:Arizona’s attorneys better be ready to fight like hell. Because there’s been no hard evidence made public that would prove anything other than Book Richardson was an idiot. And that’s not an NCAA violation. Zero proof any players benefitted at all. Zero proof Miller knew about Book’s actions. Tons of documentation that Miller followed NCAA compliance to a T.
For sure. It's gonna be a long drawn out court case too. Ncaa violations take forever to settle in court
I said what I said and I mean it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No, Dukie V says we are going to get hammered do we might as well just settle in and enjoy it like his buddy the general used to say. Isn’t it funny the guys he idolizes (Pitino, Knight And K)
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

azcat49 wrote:No, Dukie V says we are going to get hammered do we might as well just settle in and enjoy it like his buddy the general used to say. Isn’t it funny the guys he idolizes (Pitino, Knight And K)
You forgot Self, Calipari, and Wright
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
azcat49 wrote:No, Dukie V says we are going to get hammered do we might as well just settle in and enjoy it like his buddy the general used to say. Isn’t it funny the guys he idolizes (Pitino, Knight And K)
And Pearl
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Yeah, Vitale's love of Calipari is a head-scratcher. Good coach, great recruiter. But this is a guy that has left every job in flames. UMass had wins and its final four vacated, the Nets were a dumpster fire when he left, Memphis had wins and its final four vacated, and now he is supposed to operate a clean program at Kentucky? What a joke.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Yeah, Vitale's love of Calipari is a head-scratcher. Good coach, great recruiter. But this is a guy that has left every job in flames. UMass had wins and its final four vacated, the Nets were a dumpster fire when he left, Memphis had wins and its final four vacated, and now he is supposed to operate a clean program at Kentucky? What a joke.
They're both italian, end of story.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

im 100% Italian, does that mean I have to like Vitale?

fck