Rawle Alkins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Rawle Alkins

Post by rgdeuce »

Rawle has had a few big games since he came back, but I agree that he has been rusty/not hit his stride, whatever you want to call it. He's got to find his rhythm from outside to better open the rest of his diverse offensive game. He really took it to another level in the second half of last season once his outside shooting got better/more consistent.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Any news?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Cleared for full practice Mon/Tues. Decision was probably made last night or right now. I'd almost rather rest him and get Smith/Randolph more time but I bet he plays
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

2 days ago

Rawle Alkins on track to return Wednesday at Washington State

The sophomore was cleared to practice Monday, as the soreness in his right foot has subsided

RKelapire Jan 29, 2018, 1:23pm PST

It appears Rawle Alkins is on track to return to the Arizona Wildcats’ lineup this week in the Pacific Northwest.

Alkins did not experience any soreness in his surgically-repaired right foot after a Saturday workout, and has been cleared to practice Monday, head coach Sean Miller said.

And Alkins will likely play Wednesday at Washington State if he can get through Monday and Tuesday’s practice unscathed.

“But we’ll know more after practice,”
Miller affirmed.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... basketball" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Jefe wrote:Cleared for full practice Mon/Tues. Decision was probably made last night or right now. I'd almost rather rest him and get Smith/Randolph more time but I bet he plays
Me too. Next week is a big home stand.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

HiCat wrote:2 days ago

Rawle Alkins on track to return Wednesday at Washington State

The sophomore was cleared to practice Monday, as the soreness in his right foot has subsided

RKelapire Jan 29, 2018, 1:23pm PST

It appears Rawle Alkins is on track to return to the Arizona Wildcats’ lineup this week in the Pacific Northwest.

Alkins did not experience any soreness in his surgically-repaired right foot after a Saturday workout, and has been cleared to practice Monday, head coach Sean Miller said.

And Alkins will likely play Wednesday at Washington State if he can get through Monday and Tuesday’s practice unscathed.

“But we’ll know more after practice,”
Miller affirmed.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... basketball" target="_blank
TY
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

IMHO...I think he needs to play if he's healthy. Shake off as much rust he can before UCLA/USC home stand.

Any ideas if he leaves after this season or will he stick around for one more year since this year he was hampered by the foot? I think he needs to prove to the scouts that his foot can withstand a full season of pounding.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UALoco wrote: Any ideas if he leaves after this season or will he stick around for one more year since this year he was hampered by the foot? I think he needs to prove to the scouts that his foot can withstand a full season of pounding.
Really? Is that a thing? It's determined not by physical examinations by doctors, but by proving to scouts that a past injury can really take a pounding?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Play him 20 minutes. We need him to stay in shape and be comfortable playing with the team
Last edited by 84Cat on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:Play him 20 minutes. We need him to stay in shape and be comfortable playing with the team
This, plus if there's no structural issues, I worry about him mentally if you start limiting him arbitrarily. A player's mindset is a huge issue, and you don't want him messing with his own head.

The only message I'd be sending him is that we should be careful with when he's ready, but if he's ready, he should be full out.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I say 21 minutes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Split the difference.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Looks like he is a go.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Anyone else feel RA and PJC are the keys today? They both have to be aggressive attacking gaps and hit their open 3s.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Frybry02 wrote:Anyone else feel RA and PJC are the keys today? They both have to be aggressive attacking gaps and hit their open 3s.
That would be nice, but we have a Bahamian zone buster under the basket if we can get him the ball. Watch my lips:
"Get him the ball"
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Turnovers and boards...will be watching those stats.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yes, Ayton grabbing offensive rebounds against the Washington zone positioning is quite the factor.
M
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Ayton is Ayton, we stay under 10 turnovers, and take care of the boards, we win. Close game for sure, though. That’s been the trend this season, save for WSU.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Alkins may need the start, but it leaves me wondering if our bench can pick up the slack.

We're going to need Randolph hitting his Js against the 2-3 today, at least.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I expect both Randolph and Smith to get a chance fairly early to show which one can hit a 3 against this zone. But I never can read Miller's mind. I blame it on not attending practices as I did when living in Tucson. I'm still waiting for one of you to try my trick on Miller, that I used when Lute coached. I was a track official and wore my uniform to practices with the cover of going to see Dave the track coach whose office was in McKale. I was never stopped, but did not try going to a practice that was labeled as Closed.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

They usually have curtains up between halls and the arena and people keeping an eye out for people loitering
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Postmaster wrote:They usually have curtains up between halls and the arena and people keeping an eye out for people loitering
Sounds like something new. I don't remember curtains in the 1990s when I used to go see Dave Murray. I wouldn't quite loiter.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Make Rawle the 6th man. Start Smith. Both seem to do better in the scenario.

Rawle can still be the one to finish the game.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Damn. I opened this thread thinking Rawle was announced as PAC-12 Player of the Week.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Make Rawle the 6th man. Start Smith. Both seem to do better in the scenario.

Rawle can still be the one to finish the game.
Was thinking the exact same thing POM! Seriously, remember JT, Rondae (both studs) coming off the bench? We need a stud to come in as a dangerous 6th man and Rawle would be a great choice for this IMO.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

If Rawle wants to start, Rawle gets to start ... and I’m willing to bet Rawle would rather start than come off the bench.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Can people stop saying he's a good defender, he's not. Even if he's not injured. Gets lost on switches/rotations so easily.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

NYCat wrote:Can people stop saying he's a good defender, he's not. Even if he's not injured. Gets lost on switches/rotations so easily.
Never been. Doesnt have the lateral quickness, doesnt have the recognition off the ball, gets caught watching too much, loses his man off the ball. Its so frustrating. Not saying many of the others are much better, but I just wish he had it defensively, because it would absolutely help his outlook at the next level.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He had a wide open look in the corner last night that had sideways rotation. Nothing in his game right now says NBA prospect.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I don't see any good defenders among the starters, except maybe Ayton. PJC, Rawle, and Trier all get beat off the dribble consistently and Ristic is too slow-footed. So when one of our top scorers can't score, we are in big trouble. And that player was Alkins in the last two games.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

the whole team defensively is a mess. That was the poorest effort O have ever seen from a Miller team. Almost like they didn't care or were just lost or frozen with fear
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I don't see any good defenders among the starters, except maybe Ayton. PJC, Rawle, and Trier all get beat off the dribble consistently and Ristic is too slow-footed. So when one of our top scorers can't score, we are in big trouble. And that player was Alkins in the last two games.
Yeah that's what I was saying in another thread... we need all three of these guys clicking in order for our offense to outscore the other team (bc our defense isn't going to save the day).

Rawle has been a mess of inconsistency the past six games.

I'm still hopeful that he turns it around and the team turns around with him. But its no fun to see a guy who should be knocking down shots barely catch iron.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Rawle in these two losses:

59min of play... 9 pts... 8 rbs... 4 asts... 5 TOs... 1 blk... 1 stl

Shooting 3/12 (25%) from two and 1/8 (12%) from three. One free throw attempt, that he missed.

Averaging 4.5pts 4rbs 2asts 2.5 TOs in starter's minutes putting up a 57 ORtg.

Rawle, I love you man, but you're playing like a fucking bum.

Our defense has sucked in these two games, but goddamn you have to imagine seeing Rawle take 20 shots and make just 4 sucks some of the momentum out of this team.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

YoDeFoe wrote:Rawle in these two losses:

Shooting 3/12 (25%) from two and 1/8 (12%) from three. One free throw attempt, that he missed.

Our defense has sucked in these two games, but goddamn you have to imagine seeing Rawle take 20 shots and make just 4 sucks some of the momentum out of this team.
Is he truly healthy now?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS wrote:

Is he truly healthy now?
He's certainly getting healthy dude minutes. So I assume he's healthy but just not in rhythm having gone in and out so many times.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Can people stop saying he's a good defender, he's not. Even if he's not injured. Gets lost on switches/rotations so easily.
Is there a way to copy this into every player thread other than PJC and Dusan?

In the PJC and Dusan threads, it can be about how they know concepts but lack the physical ability.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

No one really says that others guys are good defenders though.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

YoDeFoe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Is he truly healthy now?
He's certainly getting healthy dude minutes. So I assume he's healthy but just not in rhythm having gone in and out so many times.
Let's hope so and he just has to knock the rust off or it is just a two game bad stretch
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS wrote:
Let's hope so and he just has to knock the rust off or it is just a two game bad stretch
Here's my hope: Rawle knocks the dust off and gets back into an offensive rhythm, which makes playing with him on the court both productive and FUN again, because instead of shots going up and not dropping and then the opponent running out on our transition defense... the ball drops in the bucket and we're able to clap it up and get back before they inbound.

I honestly believe that Rawle getting his offense back going will cure a lot of what ails this team right now. He's supposed to be our third punch and he's out there blowing kisses.

But also I'm an eternal optimist about this team who doesn't internalize the reality of our faults until the season is over and I'm nursing a "what happened" hangover.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Nice win. I don't think Alkins knows how to pass the ball.
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Unless Rawle does a 180 in the next few games I think its in his best interest to return for his Junior year.

One thing he really needs to do badly is lose about 5-7 lbs and develop more lean muscle. His quickness needs to improve if he wants to play at the next level. Hell, K Justice was dribbling around him tonight.

On the other hand if he likes long bus rides to places in North Dakota I guess the D-League is there.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

He was mostly pretty bad tonight. Piss poor defender, can't pass, couldn't hit any wide open 3s. Did just enough in the second half to help a bit.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I couldn’t believe how easily Justice got around Rawle. Wtf. One guy has a possible future in the NBA, the other has a future as a dominant YMCA player in Scottsdale.

Maybe he’s not 100% healthy? Or yeah, maybe he needs to get leaner.

I’d be shocked if he played another season at AZ, but man would that be a nice turn of events for the program. I think Rawle’s had a positive impact on this team and could be our star next season.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I really appreciated his energy and hustle out there - he does bring toughness and leadership that we need and that Akot, his replacement, lacks today.

But yeah - another game of Rawle shooting poorly, throwing the ball away, and getting blown by on D. Thankfully this one didn't end in another L.

If this was any other player on this team we'd be calling for them to get benched. We've got a week of practice and rest between now and our next game. Hopefully Rawle uses it to get back to his old self.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just need Rawle to work through this. He has a month until we really need him. There is no reason to believe he won't have it figured out by then.

In Rawle I trust.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Alieberman wrote:Just need Rawle to work through this. He has a month until we really need him. There is no reason to believe he won't have it figured out by then.

In Rawle I trust.

Savage life! :!:
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

He doesn't look ready for starters minutes right now. It's fine if he rests until the tourney.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Not a great game but tied it and then huge in OT. GR8!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TatetheGreat wrote:He doesn't look ready for starters minutes right now. It's fine if he rests until the tourney.
He needs to play as much as he can handle to get into sync and get his confidence back. He's not driving the ball well. Very tentative.