Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by pc in NM »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:47 pm Seriously, I'm kind of happy they are taking as long as they are.

I would hate for them to roll out a verdict on like October 31 with a two year post season ban and have half the team enter the transfer portal immediately because it will affect this year's team.

That would just be gut wrenching. I'm not sure when the latest it is that their ruling could affect this year but I was thinking I had heard that if the punishment is not handed out pre season that this years team is safe.
The final accounting for this whole thing, however great or small it might be, will fall on a totally innocent group of players, coaches and support staff! The timeframe of the process is totally unjustifiable, and ultimately will have little or no impact on the supposed underlying values and/or compliance with NCAA standards.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:47 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:47 pm Seriously, I'm kind of happy they are taking as long as they are.

I would hate for them to roll out a verdict on like October 31 with a two year post season ban and have half the team enter the transfer portal immediately because it will affect this year's team.

That would just be gut wrenching. I'm not sure when the latest it is that their ruling could affect this year but I was thinking I had heard that if the punishment is not handed out pre season that this years team is safe.
The final accounting for this whole thing, however great or small it might be, will fall on a totally innocent group of players, coaches and support staff! The timeframe of the process is totally unjustifiable, and ultimately will have little or no impact on the supposed underlying values and/or compliance with NCAA standards.
I completely agree with all of this.

I would just like the current players and recruits to have the opportunity to make their decision of where to play basketball with a full knowledge of the state of the program including sanctions and penalties, before committing to playing here for the upcoming season.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Potentially punishing the current rosters for actions that happened when they were still in elementary school is on par for the NCAA. At this point when the allegations occurred the only person still anywhere near the program is Ryan Reynolds. New coaches, new players, new AD/President, new assistant AD with the title and paycheck of AD. More reason why the power conferences should just team up and form a real allegiance and drop the NCAA altogether.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Well that was a whole lot of nothing.

Has anyone seen the new NOA?

Maybe Robbins will give another post season ban just to make sure.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:05 pm Well that was a whole lot of nothing.

Has anyone seen the new NOA?

Maybe Robbins will give another post season ban just to make sure.
They don’t call him Colombo for nothing.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Dave

Post by Dave »

Traditional penalty matrix is a 1-2 year post season ban. When was the last time a basketball program got hit with a 2 year post season ban?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dave wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:39 pm Traditional penalty matrix is a 1-2 year post season ban. When was the last time a basketball program got hit with a 2 year post season ban?
Didn't we also already self-impose a post-season ban for one year? Does that not matter? If not, it makes the whole self-imposed gesture feel so, so moronic.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

The self imposed ban was moronic when they first dreamed it up, we had a tournament team last year, teams that self impose traditionally self impose on a year when they aren't gonna make the field.

I will not agree with that decision until the IARP says that they would have imposed a ban but since we voluntarily took one, they will consider it "time served" and just put us on probation for 2 years or something like that.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:08 pm The self imposed ban was moronic when they first dreamed it up, we had a tournament team last year, teams that self impose traditionally self impose on a year when they aren't gonna make the field.

I will not agree with that decision until the IARP says that they would have imposed a ban but since we voluntarily took one, they will consider it "time served" and just put us on probation for 2 years or something like that.
The self imposed ban was done to make sure Sean Miller did not make a run that made firing him difficult. Shooting ones self in the foot so you can't win a race if you will.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

BREAKING—The NCAA rejected Oklahoma State’s appeal and has banned the MBB program from the 2022 postseason, sources told @CBSSports. This is the first postseason ban handed down by the NCAA in relation to the 2017 FBI investigation into bribery/fraud in CBB recruiting.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:57 am BREAKING—The NCAA rejected Oklahoma State’s appeal and has banned the MBB program from the 2022 postseason, sources told @CBSSports. This is the first postseason ban handed down by the NCAA in relation to the 2017 FBI investigation into bribery/fraud in CBB recruiting.
So they got a 1 Year post season ban for similar violations. What does this mean for us? Maybe our self sanction last year will actually benefit us now. Time will tell.

Hmmmmm.....
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

OSU didn’t go through the IARP, so I’m not sure how much their situation applies. But yeah, they caught a 1yr ban for exactly what Book’s charged with - the bribe and the noncooperation. Unfortunately we’re charged with a fair amount more.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think the timing of these penalties is absolute horse shit. Why are they handing down a penalty that mainly impacts students/players who were entirely uninvolved? If they're not ready to issue a penalty by the spring, they need to defer till the following year. It's unfair for guys to pick a school who's eligible for postseason play, only to have that eligibility revoked *after* the guys have made their college choice and started matriculation.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

LSU coach Will Wade was interviewed across parts of two days last week by Complex Case Unit investigators, a significant step in the Tigers' NCAA infractions case.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

5 goddamn years later. What utter bullshit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:22 pm
Okies had zero control over Evans at that point but are being punished for it - totally rational and normal thought process there. FFS
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:43 pm
Jefe wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:22 pm
Okies had zero control over Evans at that point but are being punished for it - totally rational and normal thought process there. FFS
That’s cute. You thought the NCAA was rational and normal.

Also the appeal process doesn’t allow new evidence to be presented and is not treated as a new hearing. The appeals review committee members are also not NCAA employees. They are made up from the general public and other member institutions.

“ The committee shall be comprised of seven members. At least two members shall be from the general public and shall not be connected with a collegiate institution, conference, or professional or similar sports organization, or represent coaches or athletes in any capacity. The remaining members shall presently or previously be on the staff of an active member institution or member conference, but shall not serve presently on the Board of Directors. There shall be no subdivision restrictions except that all nonpublic members may not be from the same subdivision. The committee shall reflect the Association's commitment to diversity”
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The updated NCAA/IARP allegations against the UA are out:

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... TucsonStar
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

It mentions that Phelps provided false or misleading information and claimed to not commit academic fraud. Has anything ever been proven about this? Or is the NCAA alleging he did it and punishing him for disagreeing?

I wouldn’t be shocked either way.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone posted this on Facebook. Apparently Ray Smith posted this in Instagram.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Auburn skated…
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There’s no way we’ll be that lucky.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:17 am There’s no way we’ll be that lucky.
You never know, but this has to help us in the IARP. The more the NCAA hands out punishments close to what we self-imposed, the more we can argue proportionality matters with those punishments.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Boise State Tennis - watch your backs!
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:44 am
You never know, but this has to help us in the IARP. The more the NCAA hands out punishments close to what we self-imposed, the more we can argue proportionality matters with those punishments.
Can they even argue at this point? I thought the IARP process was binding with no avenue for appeal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:10 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:44 am
Can they even argue at this point? I thought the IARP process was binding with no avenue for appeal.
IARP is binding, but proportional punishment to comparable cases is an explicit part of their process. The more cases that get probation, minor suspensions or single year bans, the harder it becomes to justify giving us more.

The IARP is independent but looks to the NCAA's underlying punishments in determining how we fit. We'll clearly be punished, but if no one's getting multiyear bans or big scholarship restrictions, it lessens the chance we get either of those.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fantastic, thanks Spiff.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I can’t wait until 2037 when this gets settled
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Spiff is spot on in my opinion. If the IARP comes down harder than what the NCAA has already issued, no school will ever use it in the future. The IARP could come down lighter, but it's not like these punishments have been a little more than a slap on the wrist.

Hard to see our punishment be worse than Auburn. They had money funneled from to players. We did not, according to the NOA, other than the $500 paid back by Pinder. Person was also accused of taking more money than Book.

The IARP was supposed to be a quicker way to resolve things. Thought we made the right decision going this route. But guess we should've gone the traditional route. We would probably have this all behind us by now.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Isnt the IARP defunct after this? Thought I read somewhere they are such a failure and a joke that they are already getting rid of them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:45 am Isnt the IARP defunct after this? Thought I read somewhere they are such a failure and a joke that they are already getting rid of them.
I mean, it's not going well.

The only upside of the time this has taken is half of the worst stuff we got accused of is basically no longer prohibited post NIL. It's funny to think about. If a lawsuit is filed 4 years earlier, the FBI thing never happens, there is no ESPN article, Sean Miller is our coach and I'm probably ambivalent about Robert Robbins instead of instantly triggered by the mention of his name.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Olsondogg wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:09 am
I'd take a couple scholarship loss for a couple years and probation tbh

3% of the basketball budget is hilarious
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:03 pm 3% of the basketball budget is hilarious
It's just indicative of the NCAA's involvement with far right militias.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

want to see Kansas and LSU first. Both H/C on tape. The Self lifetime contract specifically says that nothing from this investigation can be used to fire him for cause.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:57 pm want to see Kansas and LSU first. Both H/C on tape. The Self lifetime contract specifically says that nothing from this investigation can be used to fire him for cause.
LSU sort of isn't on tape. There was a press report about Wade's taped words but the strong ass offer tape never actually became public to my knowledge.

Self's stuff all came out during a public trial, so that's fair game.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Auburn also cut one scholarship in the 2020-21 season and will lose two more during the probation period.

So my question is are they receiving two scholarship reductions for each of the four years they are on probation? That is pretty significant if true. Two doesn't sound like much but that keeps you from having players in your system that can develop.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I see Goodman is trying to rewrite history where he was the lone horse at espn saying the report wasn’t true.

Not quite what happened, Jeffery.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

do you think they will suspend Sean Miller for two games as well?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

97cats wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:37 pm
2 for Sean and 2 for Tommy probably knowing our luck lol.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:37 pm
I am curious what it means that we don’t have a coach they can punish.

Show Cause for Sean?
Additional scholarships taken away?
Heeke has to eat a Carolina Reaper while singing Memories from Cats?*

*I’m definitely ok with this one
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:03 pm
TheCat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:57 pm want to see Kansas and LSU first. Both H/C on tape. The Self lifetime contract specifically says that nothing from this investigation can be used to fire him for cause.
LSU sort of isn't on tape. There was a press report about Wade's taped words but the strong ass offer tape never actually became public to my knowledge.

Wade's "strong as offer tape" is public and part of the wiretaps because I heard it. No sure if it was ever in court.
https://www.si.com/college/vanderbilt/b ... you-decide
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:03 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:03 pm

Wade's "strong as offer tape" is public and part of the wiretaps because I heard it. No sure if it was ever in court.
https://www.si.com/college/vanderbilt/b ... you-decide
Well, you clearly win this round.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fuck ESPN

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TheCat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:19 pm Auburn also cut one scholarship in the 2020-21 season and will lose two more during the probation period.

So my question is are they receiving two scholarship reductions for each of the four years they are on probation? That is pretty significant if true. Two doesn't sound like much but that keeps you from having players in your system that can develop.
Two total over a four year period. So 50 scholarships over 4 years instead of 52.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:34 pm Fuck ESPN

If this is true then Sean might have a libel case. If someone said it was not true and they published it anyway that may make the standard for libel of a public figure.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

I really do hope the even the Sean is gone he sues the shit out of EsPN just because of their clown reporting of all this