2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by Harvey Specter »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Geez enfuego what a troll you are now....smh. If you are going to act like a dbag, go play on your own site.

Usually I like having fans of other sites over here (even you)....and the KU scout site is huge and I have a lot of admiration for the amount of traffic....but if you are just looking to pick fights over things like this post, GTFO and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

PS. I'd likely get banned for posting something obnoxious like this over at your site.....

PSS. I would agree though that Justin Simon is a stretch as he bolted long ago and we had time to prepare for that but the other 3 were definitely unexpected losses.
I'd say Ferguson is a stretch, too...

But losing Smith and Trier is enough, and those are both completely legit.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Duke had 1 guy out and lost a road game. Guess Coach K is a shitty coach.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

midnightx wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Pinder's minutes in general are going to take a hit with each wing who returns.
He really is quite terrible. He is a body and allows for others to get some quick rest, but he is a liability. Is there a layup he has not missed yet this season?
I dont think thats accurate at all. 4 point and 4.5 boards a game off the bench, is 56% from the floor, leads the team in blocked shots and has done just about everything you could ask of him on defense. I'll take a Pinder off the bench any day of the week
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ahem.

Really not rocket science either way. I think its time for enfuego to have his bags packed. Dude brings nothing to the table but consistent and ineffective trolling.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Opening up with a road sweep is huge for momentum. Now let's get Trier back and let's go!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This was a HUGE weekend for us.

I think that Cal win was bigger for us than we knew going into it.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

The is a really fun team to watch. One of my favorite teams ever. They play with intensity overall and on both sides of the ball. And the overall teamwork is the best I've seen in ages. It's a very intelligent basketball team.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

From that single game, we just jumped in Kenpom AdjO and AdjD from 33 and 17 to 26 and 9.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Catintheheat wrote:The is a really fun team to watch. One of my favorite teams ever. They play with intensity overall and on both sides of the ball. And the overall teamwork is the best I've seen in ages. It's a very intelligent basketball team.

100% agree.

I really, really like the guys on this team.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Alieberman wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:The is a really fun team to watch. One of my favorite teams ever. They play with intensity overall and on both sides of the ball. And the overall teamwork is the best I've seen in ages. It's a very intelligent basketball team.

100% agree.

I really, really like the guys on this team.
Me too! Also, am loving how Dusan is playing.....wow, he is a real offensive terror now and also looks more physical too.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Harvey Specter wrote: I'd say Ferguson is a stretch, too...
Since he ain't a Cat he doesn't rate his own thread so I was looking around for a decent place to put this. Just thought folks might be interested in an update.

Code: Select all

Player                          Team    Games   Min     PTS
Terrance Ferguson       Adelaide 36ers  17      17.68   5.35

FGM     FGA     FG%     2PM     2PA     2P%
1.94    4.94    39.3    1       2.47    40.5

3PM     3PA     3P%     FTM     FTA     FT%
0.94    2.47    38.1    0.53    0.88    60.2

OR      DR      TR      AS      TO      ST      BL      PFS
0.59    0.76    1.35    0.82    1.18    0.12    0.35    1.71
Hope that came out readable.

Adelaide is currently in first place in the NBL; 1.5 games in front of Melbourne United and Illawarra Hawks.

I cannot figure out if Ferguson is a regular starter or not. I think not but I'm not sure; a little over 17 minutes per game doesn't sound like starters minutes to me. I do know that he didn't start in the first 5 or 6 games and was in fact struggling to get playing time at all.

Recent Adelaide newspaper article: Adelaide 36ers’ Terrance Ferguson gamble paying off with NBA scouts sizing up NBL talent

There is a highlight package on that article that shows Ferguson with a dunk (at number 1) that the announcers think qualifies him for a first round draft spot. I thought the alley oop off the halfcourt out-of-bounds throw-in was better, but what do I know?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Bangkok Wildcat

RichardCranium wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote: I'd say Ferguson is a stretch, too...
Since he ain't a Cat he doesn't rate his own thread so I was looking around for a decent place to put this. Just thought folks might be interested in an update.

Code: Select all

Player                          Team    Games   Min     PTS
Terrance Ferguson       Adelaide 36ers  17      17.68   5.35

FGM     FGA     FG%     2PM     2PA     2P%
1.94    4.94    39.3    1       2.47    40.5

3PM     3PA     3P%     FTM     FTA     FT%
0.94    2.47    38.1    0.53    0.88    60.2

OR      DR      TR      AS      TO      ST      BL      PFS
0.59    0.76    1.35    0.82    1.18    0.12    0.35    1.71
Hope that came out readable.

Adelaide is currently in first place in the NBL; 1.5 games in front of Melbourne United and Illawarra Hawks.

I cannot figure out if Ferguson is a regular starter or not. I think not but I'm not sure; a little over 17 minutes per game doesn't sound like starters minutes to me. I do know that he didn't start in the first 5 or 6 games and was in fact struggling to get playing time at all.

Recent Adelaide newspaper article: Adelaide 36ers’ Terrance Ferguson gamble paying off with NBA scouts sizing up NBL talent

There is a highlight package on that article that shows Ferguson with a dunk (at number 1) that the announcers think qualifies him for a first round draft spot. I thought the alley oop off the halfcourt out-of-bounds throw-in was better, but what do I know?
Interesting RichardC.....'Cheers Mate!' ;-)
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

rgdeuce wrote:Ahem.

Really not rocket science either way. I think its time for enfuego to have his bags packed. Dude brings nothing to the table but consistent and ineffective trolling.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

2 games into this Pac season, we've swept a road series, which we only did once last year. We were only 4-5 in conference on the road.

We get Zo back...I feel pretty good about this. Despite the fact it's a down year and I should probably just accept that.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:2 games into this Pac season, we've swept a road series, which we only did once last year. We were only 4-5 in conference on the road.

We get Zo back...I feel pretty good about this. Despite the fact it's a down year and I should probably just accept that.

Embrace the bubble.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Lauri needs more touches. That should be priority #1
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I love how our box score reads the past few games and the distribution of our scoring.

We actually have more offensive weapons than I thought we would have at this point and if AT returns he can just blend in without feeling the pressure of being the man.

Defense and Rebounding still needs a little more work but given CSM's track record he always finds a way to get that fixed.

Things are progressing nicely for this team and historically it has always been in our best interest to be under the radar.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Main Event wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Ahem.

All all without running any discernible offense. So stubborn.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We've yet to give up 70 points. (Chico and The Man had 70 in exhibition). Need more zone! So stubborn!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote:I love how our box score reads the past few games and the distribution of our scoring.

We actually have more offensive weapons than I thought we would have at this point and if AT returns he can just blend in without feeling the pressure of being the man.

Defense and Rebounding still needs a little more work but given CSM's track record he always finds a way to get that fixed.

Things are progressing nicely for this team and historically it has always been in our best interest to be under the radar.
We get Trier back, and we have 5 guys who can drop 20 on you. Add to that PJC as the facilitator, Allen as an experienced glue guy, Chance as our backup big and Pinder as an energy guy and I like the roster composition.

Defense was always going to be the slowest developing thing. PJC and Dusan aren't outstanding on that end and we have young guys. For what I had expected, what has happened so far is pretty good.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:We've yet to give up 70 points. (Chico and The Man had 70 in exhibition). Need more zone! So stubborn!
Some of that is just a function of pace. When PJC went down, we slowed by necessity. I think the D has been good, but if we were still that team (with Ray) we would have given up 70 to Zaga at least. Of course, we probably would have won too.
gumby

Post by gumby »

True, but also holding teams to low percentages, especially in the last six games.

Overall, we shoot 47.6 ... foes, 38.6.

Threes, 38.4 ... foes, 29.3 (psst! Now 3rd in conference in 3 pt shooting).

Ever our FT defense is stellar: 62 percent. :)

Arizona and Cal are the leaders on D, thus far. I find that remarkable with three freshmen starting and/or getting big minutes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:True, but also holding teams to low percentages, especially in the last six games.

Arizona and Cal are the leaders on D, thus far. I find that remarkable with three freshmen starting and/or getting big minutes.
I think the Trier situation could have a major silver lining. Kobi and Rawle have really answered the bell when they were needed. They'll be vets come March.

I didn't mean to take away from our D. I'm completely on board with the idea that this has been a really masterful job by Miller in producing some really great cohesion given the youth and turnover in our roster. I think we are a good defensive team that could be more than just good by the end of the year.

The pace comment was just a footnote, and not meant in any way to take away from what has happened with this team so far, which has been as good as we could reasonably have asked for. Let UCLA and Oregon carry the hype while we just handle business and develop.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:2 games into this Pac season, we've swept a road series, which we only did once last year. We were only 4-5 in conference on the road.

Embrace the bubble.
We're off the bubble for now.

If Trier returns, who will be losing minutes? RA? KS? KA? All of them? Granted, having five guards is a good "problem" to have.

Still think we're the 3rd best team in the league, but until we've seen what the team looks like with AT, it's hard to estimate our ceiling. Ristic has been terrific lately, as have the freshmen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:True, but also holding teams to low percentages, especially in the last six games.

I think the Trier situation could have a major silver lining. Kobi and Rawle have really answered the bell when they were needed. They'll be vets come March.

I didn't mean to take away from our D. I'm completely on board with the idea that this has been a really masterful job by Miller in producing some really great cohesion given the youth and turnover in our roster. I think we are a good defensive team that could be more than just good by the end of the year.

The pace comment was just a footnote, and not meant in any way to take away from what has happened with this team so far, which has been as good as we could reasonably have asked for. Let UCLA and Oregon carry the hype while we just handle business and develop.
According to KenPom we are 26th in AdjO and 9th in AdjD. 14th overall. Pretty damn good.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

According to KenPom we are 26th in AdjO and 9th in AdjD. 14th overall. Pretty damn good.
Yeah. My logical brain wants to temper it with our SOS involving some bad teams. My heart still believes if we get Zo, we could play a game or two in Glendale. My brain doesn't necessarily disagree, although it isn't counting chickens.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great weekend. Our bigs have shown tremendous improvement and its a credit to Miller and staff for developing them.

I think the conference has a great chance of advancing not but two teams to the FF. It will all depend on march ups and winning a tough elite 8 game but we do have 3 FF caliber teams
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We'll know more about this AZ team the weekend of 1/19-1/21.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'd say the defense is at or very close to where we want it to be at this point of the season considering the make up of this team. Which is pretty remarkable when you consider how thin we have been the whole first half. Obviously there are things that jump out at you that still need work, but ruling out some early games, the only teams that have been able to shoot over 40% from the floor against us have been Gonzaga and Butler (both Kenpom top 15 offenses) and Texas A&M, which wasnt happening until that late game meltdown/run, whatever you want to call it. Obviously that changes when we run into Oregon, USC and UCLA (who will make any D look bad), but Oregon is the only one in that group who can defend.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:We'll know more about this AZ team the weekend of 1/19-1/21.
Obviously would be nice to do well then, but I wouldnt be too concerned if the results dont go our way. Got a whole month plus to get PJCs legs under him and Trier meshed w the team, if he returns.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What more do you need to know? UCLAis a definate FF team and even if we got beat by 20 it would not be an indicator of what we could do in March.

We are 1-2 vs the top 50 with both losses very close and without key players. We have another 5 or 6 wins against the top RPI 100. We are in the top 25 in adjusted defense and offense.

I couldn't be more pleased with where we are
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Question...If Alford get to the FF before Miller, how did he do it? and What does that say about the CATS/Miller?

Certainly not trying to stir the pot, although it may come off like it, I'm just genuinely interested/concerned that Alford would be able to accomplish this feat despite being a mediocre coach and recruiter.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

In my opinion UCLA recruits itself and getting Ball, who is a reincarnation of Jason Kidd, only better, makes this the best UCLA team since 95. Should Alford get any credit for that? I guess some for just letting them play. He is the piece of that team that worries me, otherwise I think they get to a FF.

It doesn't iin my eye reflect negatively on Miller other then it continues to show you must have good offensive efficiency to get to the promised land
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Obviously would be nice to do well then, but I wouldnt be too concerned if the results dont go our way. Got a whole month plus to get PJCs legs under him and Trier meshed w the team, if he returns.
Heck, I'd argue we know more about this team every single game.

We have great potential when Trier returns. Big games (and UCLA is a big game) take a back seat to the process. Also, this team has responded to every challenge put in front of it. There's no reason to think we'll stop now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Question...If Alford get to the FF before Miller, how did he do it? and What does that say about the CATS/Miller?

Certainly not trying to stir the pot, although it may come off like it, I'm just genuinely interested/concerned that Alford would be able to accomplish this feat despite being a mediocre coach and recruiter.
He got a really good player in Ball and a team that has fallen into cohesive roles.

Making a FF is overrated. Paul Hewitt took GT to a final four. John Brady took LSU to a final four. It is a thing to trumpet, but it is not what defines a great coach or program. One magical year does not equal a solid program.

That's a lomg winded way of saying I see this year for UCLA as one year where it all has gone right. Where are the Bruins on a year in year out basis?

Year in, year out, we are a top ten program. We class last year as a disappointment, but it's basically reflective of the better results Alford has had in Westwood. Miller is a top five coach nationally when you factor in age and expected longevity, maybe top three.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's true that getting rolled by UCLA and/or OR has little bearing on what happens in the tourney. We're playing like a S-16 team right now, and if AT comes back, well, we could do something truly special.

I'm going to assume that Diallo isn't happening. Not only is it getting awfully late in the season, but I also wonder how adding another guard helps this team.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Where are the Bruins on a year in year out basis?

Year in, year out, we are a top ten program. We class last year as a disappointment, but it's basically reflective of the better results Alford has had in Westwood. Miller is a top five coach nationally when you factor in age and expected longevity, maybe top three.
UCLA has higher highs and lower lows, when it comes to a comparison with AZ. They've gotten to three FFs since our last one, but they've also finished sub .500 and missed the tourney multiple times.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Never want to wish injury on a player, but for once, rather then the CATS, couldn't UCLA's dream season suffer a catastrophic season injury a'la BASH in 2014.

That was the year we were gonna cut nets.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

17 Arizona

Record: 13-2

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:17 Arizona

Record: 13-2

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll" target="_blank
Feels like we are underrated by 4-5 spots.
Bangkok Wildcat

CalStateTempe wrote:Never want to wish injury on a player, but for once, rather then the CATS, couldn't UCLA's dream season suffer a catastrophic season injury a'la BASH in 2014.

That was the year we were gonna cut nets.
No kidding CST! yet another reason I cringe every time we visit CAL.....that injury, their dbag fans rushing the floor and close losses make too many unhappy recent memories for me.

So glad we Bore Down and beat them this year......but still, this year has been way too hard on us injury-wise.....Damn, I really miss seeing what a healthy Ray Smith would have meant to this team.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:...Damn, I really miss seeing what a healthy Ray Smith would have meant to this team.
Yep. Or an eligible Trier.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:...Damn, I really miss seeing what a healthy Ray Smith would have meant to this team.
Yep. Or an eligible Trier.
Yeah, but I gotta believe that will happen soon....sadly, no Ray Smith ever :-(
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azcat49 wrote:What more do you need to know? UCLAis a definate FF team and even if we got beat by 20 it would not be an indicator of what we could do in March.
Their offense is killer, but I wouldnt be so sure about that until they show they can defend better.
CalStateTempe wrote:Question...If Alford get to the FF before Miller, how did he do it? and What does that say about the CATS/Miller?

That team fell into his lap. Most UCLA fans wanted him gone and it would have been 100 percent justified if he was canned. Ive been consistent in my opinion that UCLA is never going to die as a program. Between the perceived big stage (that no one watches) and the legacy, all it takes is a good coach or a shoe company dumping top 20s into your lap and theyre right back in business.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:
azcat49 wrote:What more do you need to know? UCLAis a definate FF team and even if we got beat by 20 it would not be an indicator of what we could do in March.
Their offense is killer, but I wouldnt be so sure about that until they show they can defend better.
UCLA is currently #79 AdjD. As shown by two recent teams coached by Bo Ryan and K, respectively, a team in the 50's in January could turn it around in time for March. But if Alford can better those two and turn around this team's inefficient defense in time to make a Final Four, I'll be pantless and airborne.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Heck, I'd argue we know more about this team every single game.

We have great potential when Trier returns. Big games (and UCLA is a big game) take a back seat to the process. Also, this team has responded to every challenge put in front of it. There's no reason to think we'll stop now.
Agree. The thing that excites me the most, recently and especially in the last couple of games, you got pretty much every guy exceeding expectations or filling in a very specific need that calls for a well balanced machine. With each game, the puzzle is being put together more and more and you can envision what this team is going to be in a couple months. The facilitator is back, and now its just a matter of time before the cold blooded scorer/another great outside shooter comes back. Then its just a matter of getting better on defense every day. The end result may not be a Kenpom top 10 in both O and D because of the first half speed bumps (or spike strips) but I think we will playing at those levels come march
gumby

Post by gumby »

Well, he isn't mediocre at either one of those things. That aside, Harrick, Frieder/Fisher got there before Lute. Didn’t make me think they were better.

It happens.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:

Well, he isn't mediocre at either one of those things. That aside, Harrick, Frieder/Fisher got there before Lute. Didn’t make me think they were better.

It happens.
Alford has been to the NCAA tourney 9 times in 22 years of coaching. He has a 9-9 record. Some of that is judged against expectations, but it's pretty mediocre. I think he's recruited above mediocre at UCLA.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I think he's recruited above mediocre at UCLA.
It doesn't matter who's at UCLA. Do you really think the Ball family looked at Alford and said, yep, that's the guy to make our sons into megastars? They could've played for K or Self or Roy or Izzo or Pitino. UCLA will always get top talent, regardless of how the program is actually performing, and regardless of who their coach is. The only thing that could change this is if other Pac programs got stronger. Obviously there's AZ, but OR and UW and Cal would need to truly "arrive" as elite programs. OR and UW have flirted with it, but neither has sustained it over a long period of time. Stanford got there in the 90s, but they haven't really gotten back. And even USC has had some nice years with Bibby and Floyd.

Who will replace Romar? Will Altman stay at OR when bigger name programs come calling? Who will replace Hurley at ASU? Can Cal make a better hire than Martin?

Most of the Pac remains trapped in 2nd/3rd tier status, which makes it easier for AZ and UCLA to sustain their dominance. Other power conferences are deeper than the Pac.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Can we quit talking about that program in this thread? There is one specifically crated for both uCla and Beach.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong