let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:I wonder if fear of NCAA sanctions at KU aided in his decision?

And if so...the irony is delicious.
Oh yeah. The Nnaji family was much more comfortable with where Arizona stood in regards to the FBI and Miller's explanations than they did with where KU stood in those regards and especially Self's explanations.
prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
prh wrote:Who thinks Josh Green will be OAD? Because if he's not, then we have the #1 class and no OADs, which is absolute best case scenario.
I sort of go either way with Green. He's a good athlete, but not the crazy athlete who gets drafted just on physical profile. He would have to show a skillset and overall game worthy of a pick to really solidify in the draft class.
ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:Who thinks Josh Green will be OAD? Because if he's not, then we have the #1 class and no OADs, which is absolute best case scenario.
Zeke himself really wants to be a OAD as well. Honestly if every thing goes to plan per team success and individual success then we'll be replacing our entire starting lineup the following year again.
Well I'm a big fan of that plan

But for Green, he'll be in a backcourt with BWill, Nico, Randolph (possibly), one of either Dylan or DD. We've seen that with guards, they really need production to be OAD, as opposed to the big guys. So while he looks great, I have a hard time seeing him squeeze enough production to do it.

But again, enough team success could possibly mean we're replacing everyone. I think we'd all be happy with that.
Last edited by prh on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Oh yeah. The Nnaji family was much more comfortable with where Arizona stood in regards to the FBI and Miller's explanations than they did with where KU stood in those regards and especially Self's explanations.
Sounds like a smart kid. :) Can't imagine he's a OAD tho...nothing in his tape gives me that impression, and he will need significant physical development if he's going to be an NBA face-up four.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I sort of go either way with Green. He's a good athlete, but not the crazy athlete who gets drafted just on physical profile. He would have to show a skillset and overall game worthy of a pick to really solidify in the draft class.
ChooChooCat wrote:
Zeke himself really wants to be a OAD as well. Honestly if every thing goes to plan per team success and individual success then we'll be replacing our entire starting lineup the following year again.

But for Green, he'll be in a backcourt with BWill, Nico, Randolph (possibly), one of either Dylan or DD. We've seen that with guards, they really need production to be OAD, as opposed to the big guys. So while he looks great, I have a hard time seeing him squeeze enough production to do it.

But again, enough team success could possibly mean we're replacing everyone. I think we'd all be happy with that.
Lol don't insult the rest of us by including Dylan possibly on next year's team.

You don't necessarily need huge production to be picked high enough. He has the athleticism and he's already advanced enough to the point where I see him as a Jr. year Nick Johnson with NBA size. We'll see how it goes, but like I said if every thing goes to plan mass roster turnover for the following season.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I just hope one of these guys is a Michigan State type bruising post presence. We used to get those guys, too (Michael Wright, Ben Davis). I actually think they are more impactful than 7 footers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

threenumberones wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Sounds like a smart kid. :) Can't imagine he's a OAD tho...nothing in his tape gives me that impression, and he will need significant physical development if he's going to be an NBA face-up four.
Nnaji reminds me of Brandon Ashley as a soph/jr with the more developed faceup game than Brandon as a freshman. My thoughts on the likelihood on OAD are similar. 6'8 stretch 4's are great in college, but not likely to be able to leave immediately for a high pick.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Lol don't insult the rest of us by including Dylan possibly on next year's team.

You don't necessarily need huge production to be picked high enough. He has the athleticism and he's already advanced enough to the point where I see him as a Jr. year Nick Johnson with NBA size. We'll see how it goes, but like I said if every thing goes to plan mass roster turnover for the following season.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I almost just said DD. I'm literally texting back and forth with a friend about how Dylan HAS to be gone at the end of this year. I don't see ANY way at all for him to be here next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Nnaji reminds me of Brandon Ashley as a soph/jr with the more developed faceup game than Brandon as a freshman. My thoughts on the likelihood on OAD are similar. 6'8 stretch 4's are great in college, but not likely to be able to leave immediately for a high pick.
He's 6'11...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I almost just said DD. I'm literally texting back and forth with a friend about how Dylan HAS to be gone at the end of this year. I don't see ANY way at all for him to be here next year.
Lol, look at the bench we have and you can see multiple guys probably not being on this roster next year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

He's 6'11...
Well, I don't know why I started to think he was 6'8. Maybe I looked at an old profile.

I like that better, and that's nice because he can easily be a 5 backing Jeter a little. That does also make me think if he transitions well to college, he has a better crack at getting drafted.

Sorry, I forget why I got stuck on him being 6'8.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Dylan leaving is for the best. I reached that thought a while back. He can get more pt, we can free room for the Akot, Green, Armstrong, Doutrives. If Randolph returns, we're almost too loaded down with Nico and BWill being capable of playing together.
loomer

Post by loomer »

It's essentially Final Four or bust next year, even if Randolph doesn't come back.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Awesome, I love seeing Espin fail at impacting our recruiting class.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

loomer wrote:It's essentially Final Four or bust next year, even if Randolph doesn't come back.
That is part of why I see this year as very important regardless of the result. The FF expectations blew up in our faces last year, and I think that had a lot to do with the culture issues. This year, we have guys who need to lead the culture of next year's team who can get used to setting that tone right now.

Jeter, Lee and Gettings need to set an aggressive, defensive tone to introduce Nnaji to, and demand he be on that train. BWill, Akot, Doutrive, Barcello and maybe Randolph have the same roles on the perimeter.

I hope this year is about showing the guys who will return next year what it takes to win at that high level.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I just hope one of these guys is a Michigan State type bruising post presence. We used to get those guys, too (Michael Wright, Ben Davis). I actually think they are more impactful than 7 footers.
Agree. It's not always the height that is significant. It's how you use your size and create space with your shoulders and strength. We are sorely weak in that department this season.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow. Just...wow.

I mean, Miller has had loaded rosters before, and the talent hasn’t materialized into FFs and NCs. But this never stops being exciting.

I love this group of players coming in.

Bear down!
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Next year is certainly a Final Four or bust team.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Of course that was said last season too.

Anyone know the scholarship counts?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Of course that was said last season too.

There will be plenty of room.
prh

Post by prh »

We have 5 recruits right now and graduate Luther and Coleman. Desjardins is scholie just this year, so we need two more (for now). Barcello and Smith transferring would be the most obvious, Barcello traditional and Smith as grad transfer. But we know that the most obvious/expected thing rarely seems to happen. There's the chance that Randolph goes, and who knows about anyone else getting pushed out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:

We have 5 recruits right now and graduate Luther and Coleman. Desjardins is scholie just this year, so we need two more (for now). Barcello and Smith transferring would be the most obvious, Barcello traditional and Smith as grad transfer. But we know that the most obvious/expected thing rarely seems to happen. There's the chance that Randolph goes, and who knows about anyone else getting pushed out.
I think you're counting Thielemans still, his scholie is free too. So only one guy will obviously have to be forced out, although very likely more than one guy goes at their own volition.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

84Cat wrote:Awesome, I love seeing Espin fail at impacting our recruiting class.
ESPN is failing in so many ways...

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn ... scal-2018/" target="_blank
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:

I think you're counting Thielemans still, his scholie is free too. So only one guy will obviously have to be forced out, although very likely more than one guy goes at their own volition.
Yep you are right. Plenty of space
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great pick up. Can he graduate in December and start for us in January LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Hmmmm...I’m gonna say we’re definitely losing two from this group: Barcello, Randolph, Williams, Akot, Smith.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Very cool! :D
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... zeke-nnaji

Interesting. Straight news, with no additional “context” commentary.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I bet Jim Basnight is losing his mind.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

UAEebs86 wrote:I bet Jim Basnight is losing his mind.
That ship sailed a long time ago.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

84Cat wrote:Awesome, I love seeing Espin fail at impacting our recruiting class.
Vital is going to have an aneurism.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

midnightx wrote:
Vital is going to have an aneurism.
I just hate how the smear campaign has affected the community. The teaching staff in my kid’s school was talking about what a “crook” our coach is. When I tried to stick to facts, a teacher patted me on the shoulder and told me I’m a “good fan.” What a euphemism. I’ve never seen someone look so sorry for me.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The recruiting success is wonderful, but the scandal garbage (coupled with the E8 losses) is gonna dog Miller until he cuts down the nets. He has leveraged the AZ brand and tradition in every way possible. We get elite players by the bunches. Time to take the next step.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Hmmmm...I’m gonna say we’re definitely losing two from this group: Barcello, Randolph, Williams, Akot, Smith.
Unless Randolph no longer wants to be in school and wants to continue working on his game in the G League, not sure why he would leave. He certainly won’t be drafted.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote:The recruiting success is wonderful, but the scandal garbage (coupled with the E8 losses) is gonna dog Miller until he cuts down the nets. He has leveraged the AZ brand and tradition in every way possible. We get elite players by the bunches. Time to take the next step.

^^^This^^^

I know we get fair weather fans. every program does, but we should just take a step back and be thankful, yea, even grateful for what Sean Miller has done against incredible odds...

I cannot think of another coach in college BB that has had to endure more bullshit, snake-bite, disloyalty among staff(looking at you asshole Book) and NBA sucking players away like a Hoover vacuum, that has managed to pull off what he has done...name one other coach that has had the refs make jokes about getting a trip paid for if they give him a tech...(fuck you Larry scott)

He did not simply go through a "rough period" he has the number one sports network in the world writing bullshit articles, calling for his firing, hiding behind lies and commentators who are dicks and here he delivers the #1 recruiting class for next year...now that might change since it is a fluid target, but still...think about it..to even be in the top five with all this shit going on is a testimony to his character.

Fuck ESPN, Fuck the Pac-12, Fuck Larry Scott, Fuck Duke and Kansas fuck them all and fuck Dickie V with a broken wine bottle...
prh

Post by prh »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:The recruiting success is wonderful, but the scandal garbage (coupled with the E8 losses) is gonna dog Miller until he cuts down the nets. He has leveraged the AZ brand and tradition in every way possible. We get elite players by the bunches. Time to take the next step.

^^^This^^^

I know we get fair weather fans. every program does, but we should just take a step back and be thankful, yea, even grateful for what Sean Miller has done against incredible odds...

I cannot think of another coach in college BB that has had to endure more bullshit, snake-bite, disloyalty among staff(looking at you asshole Book) and NBA sucking players away like a Hoover vacuum, that has managed to pull off what he has done...name one other coach that has had the refs make jokes about getting a trip paid for if they give him a tech...(fuck you Larry scott)

He did not simply go through a "rough period" he has the number one sports network in the world writing bullshit articles, calling for his firing, hiding behind lies and commentators who are dicks and here he delivers the #1 recruiting class for next year...now that might change since it is a fluid target, but still...think about it..to even be in the top five with all this shit going on is a testimony to his character.

Fuck ESPN, Fuck the Pac-12, Fuck Larry Scott, Fuck Duke and Kansas fuck them all and fuck Dickie V with a broken wine bottle...
I'm with this guy
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:Image
I agree. But if Self had kept some separation for at least a hint of plausible deniability, there wouldn’t be such a stink around him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

enfuego wrote:Image
Yep. Self no longer has the Adidas money or pull and is looking at forfeiting all games played by your ineligible player. What a way to loose the conf and NCAA streak. It will flip his wig.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatFanOneMil wrote:

^^^This^^^

On

I agree with what he’s been through and how he’s endured. And he’s the first to recognize what he could have done better. For me, the turning point for earning our devotion was when he stopped the clock for Kadeem Allen.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ChooChooCat wrote:

You talked to his family?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Longhorned wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

^^^This^^^

On

I agree with what he’s been through and how he’s endured. And he’s the first to recognize what he could have done better. For me, the turning point for earning our devotion was when he stopped the clock for Kadeem Allen.
Seriously? You talking cheating smack? Your Regents won't even give Miller a vote of confidence.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1721280/ ... -security/" target="_blank
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

enfuego wrote:
Seriously? You talking cheating smack? Your Regents won't even give Miller a vote of confidence.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1721280/ ... -security/" target="_blank
Once somebody under oath directly implicates Miller the way Self has been implicated you can come back here with that weak sauce. I’m not foolish enough to say it won’t happen. Maybe it will. In the meantime, Kansas is the program that ESPN should be smearing on a nightly basis. For now, Self has the actual black eye as opposed to the ESPN induced and characterized black eye. And it seems the recruits know what’s up.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

You have to give enfuego credit for one thing. No matter how many money shots he takes, he wipes his face off and comes back for more.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Personally I was quite surprised when Nnaji committed to the Cats today.

I am, however, not going to get too excited with our top ranked class until AFTER the Book trial and AFTER the entire class actually shows up on campus.
I have been hoping that the initial FBI scandal trials would implicate a large chunk of College basketball.......unfortunately, with the notable exception of Kansas (how could Self be so stupid to be caught sending text messages) only the initial half dozen or so schools are in serious danger. Also unfortunately, we are not Duke, so when the NCAA looks for a few scapegoats I'm sure the UA will be at or near the top of the list.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

dmjcat wrote:Personally I was quite surprised when Nnaji committed to the Cats today.

I am, however, not going to get too excited with our top ranked class until AFTER the Book trial and AFTER the entire class actually shows up on campus.
I have been hoping that the initial FBI scandal trials would implicate a large chunk of College basketball.......unfortunately, with the notable exception of Kansas (how could Self be so stupid to be caught sending text messages) only the initial half dozen or so schools are in serious danger. Also unfortunately, we are not Duke, so when the NCAA looks for a few scapegoats I'm sure the UA will be at or near the top of the list.
Certainly a fair point...especially since we seem to have been snakebitten over the years. However, I have to think these recruits and the people surrounding them did extensive homework about the FBI investigation and where Miller/AZ stand. If there was any decent chance of sanctions or proof that Miller/AZ did anything wrong than I don't believe these guys would have been so quick to commit. On the other side, as some posters have already mentioned, Kansas looks to be in more trouble and may have been a reason Nnaji ended up choosing us.This isn't a BWill and Shareef situation where everything is breaking AFTER they committed. 2019 recruits had plenty of time to do their research with true sources rather than the BS EsPN is feeding the public.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Longhorned wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

^^^This^^^

On

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. It was good to see UCLA get their just desserts while at the same time honoring Kadeem.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

dmjcat wrote:Personally I was quite surprised when Nnaji committed to the Cats today.

I think people give waaaay to much credit to the NCAA than is actually warranted...lets not forget it is a mismatched conglomerate of University Prez's/AD's/Professors and VP's and an occasional student representative thrown in for show...(currently, the Big East/ACC and Pac-12 have 2 committee members each for Div.1) there is a reason it takes them so long to decide on anything and half the time they decide to do nothing, it is really hard to find consensus with such a mismatch of members...I frankly do not expect the NCAA to do much if anything at all to the UofA because Miller has shown a willingness to cooperate and has a history of honoring them and there is no way in hell he could have known that Book was fucking him...once he found out Book was immediately terminated...if someone can show me anything Miller could have done to prevent this fiasco I'm all ears, but there is nothing he could have done legally.

There is not going to be "another shoe" to drop...unlike several other programs out there.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:

I think people give waaaay to much credit to the NCAA than is actually warranted...lets not forget it is a mismatched conglomerate of University Prez's/AD's/Professors and VP's and an occasional student representative thrown in for show...(currently, the Big East/ACC and Pac-12 have 2 committee members each for Div.1) there is a reason it takes them so long to decide on anything and half the time they decide to do nothing, it is really hard to find consensus with such a mismatch of members...I frankly do not expect the NCAA to do much if anything at all to the UofA because Miller has shown a willingness to cooperate and has a history of honoring them and there is no way in hell he could have known that Book was fucking him...once he found out Book was immediately terminated...if someone can show me anything Miller could have done to prevent this fiasco I'm all ears, but there is nothing he could have done legally.

There is not going to be "another shoe" to drop...unlike several other programs out there.

Miller might be as innocent and pure as the driven snow........it might not make any difference.

If Book knew about payoffs to players (and the tapes certainly suggest that), then that may well be all the NCAA enforcement committee need to throw the book (pun intended) at us. Book was a representative of the UA. Remember, this will not be decided in a court of law, it will be decided by an NCAA committee.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Longhorned wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

^^^This^^^

On

Totally...most badass moment in the last 10 years of ANY BB coach on the floor anywhere...not only did he "fuck you" to Alford, he gave Kadeem the credit he deserved...made it clear to players he would have their back if they stayed faithful and endured to the end...

Oh yeah Fuck UCLA and Alford with Dickie V's broken wine bottle...
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

Miller might be as innocent and pure as the driven snow........it might not make any difference.

If Book knew about payoffs to players (and the tapes certainly suggest that), then that may well be all the NCAA enforcement committee need to throw the book (pun intended) at us. Book was a representative of the UA. Remember, this will not be decided in a court of law, it will be decided by an NCAA committee.

It's not their job description to "throw the book" or even to make examples of university programs...their job is simple enforcement of the rules...they will make a determination if UA Basketball program itself broke the rules, not if Book did...they are not going after individual assistant coaches, they never have and never will, its not part of the job.

Book Richardson is NOT UA basketball.