Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EVCat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by EVCat »

Chicat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
EVCat wrote:I am not going to accept that because I, along with almost everyone, could see there was shady stuff going on in college basketball, we were all horrible people for watching.
Uh, WTF??

We weren't watching fucking dog fights. No one was abused. These kids got opportunities to get top notch instruction and training, a free education, and in at least some cases some money to help themselves and their families.

Please tell me why I should think of myself as a horrible person. This should be good...
Umm..i don't. Maybe read it again.

I was called a hypocrite for "knowing" And still watching and calling out other teams.

I am guessing you haven't read any of my posts :lol:
Posts are coming fast and furious .... which is why I'm guessing you missed my follow up. Your phrasing isn't at all clear.
Yup.

It is a bit wonky, but I said that i refuse to accept that just because we knew there was shady stuff and still watched, we are evil. I wrote some novels that say the polyannas who act like they didn't know there were questionable practices in college basketball, and this changes everything, were either ignorant or are overstating their disgust, and I don't think any of them are ignorant. So I was told I am a hypocrite for watching, knowing how the sausage was made, and ever saying other programs were dirty. Which I reject, because there is a difference between the coaching staff participating, and the boosters and shoe companies doing what they do behind the scenes to take care of families and coaches/handlers. I do not accept that those of us who knew what was happening are evil for watching and enjoying the game and still saying other programs are dirty.

I was getting killed by the supermoralists so that is why i was surprised you thought that was what i was saying. The words are correct in my statement if you read it again, but the tense is wonky. Your conclusion would just be a total 180 from my previous posts, and really my personality, whatever that may be on this board. I am, by nature, more empathetic and open minded than strict and hardline. So I was surprised by your response.

And, yeah...i missed your next response. I was sure I looked first, but I guess not.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Even I appreciate the info from 97cats...
this thread now truly has it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do what I can in my own special way.

You all are welcome. I tried to quit this fucking place. Fail
I'm glad your back Odogg, I learn so much about a program I love from you and many others here. Sorry for letting my emotions get the best of me during the Spain incident; it is one of my faults around here, I know.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:Explain T-Ferg and Josh Jackson...those both baffle me for different reasons.
T-Ferg never woulda never qualified, like Brandon Jennings -- Jackson just chose Kansas -- both AZ and KU offered and had set up the desired amount.

even with this info, paying the amount didn't guarantee the player, there is still other factors that make it attractive to the player, so when you have Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, UCLA all ponied up for a player it then becomes the intangibles that everyone is familiar with, playing time, fit, style, etc.

KU just had what Jackson's mom wanted more.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

NYCat wrote:Who tipped off Sean, is what I want to know

Cal?
the FBI
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
EVCat wrote:I am not going to accept that because I, along with almost everyone, could see there was shady stuff going on in college basketball, we were all horrible people for watching.
Uh, WTF??

We weren't watching fucking dog fights. No one was abused. These kids got opportunities to get top notch instruction and training, a free education, and in at least some cases some money to help themselves and their families.

Please tell me why I should think of myself as a horrible person. This should be good...

I was called a hypocrite for "knowing" And still watching and calling out other teams.

Posts are coming fast and furious .... which is why I'm guessing you missed my follow up. Your phrasing isn't at all clear.
Yup.

It is a bit wonky, but I said that i refuse to accept that just because we knew there was shady stuff and still watched, we are evil. I wrote some novels that say the polyannas who act like they didn't know there were questionable practices in college basketball, and this changes everything, were either ignorant or are overstating their disgust, and I don't think any of them are ignorant. So I was told I am a hypocrite for watching, knowing how the sausage was made, and ever saying other programs were dirty. Which I reject, because there is a difference between the coaching staff participating, and the boosters and shoe companies doing what they do behind the scenes to take care of families and coaches/handlers. I do not accept that those of us who knew what was happening are evil for watching and enjoying the game and still saying other programs are dirty.

I was getting killed by the supermoralists so that is why i was surprised you thought that was what i was saying. The words are correct in my statement if you read it again, but the tense is wonky. Your conclusion would just be a total 180 from my previous posts, and really my personality, whatever that may be on this board. I am, by nature, more empathetic and open minded than strict and hardline. So I was surprised by your response.

And, yeah...i missed your next response. I was sure I looked first, but I guess not.
Can we go back to the part where you wrote some novels?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So we didn't offer TFerg anything or Arizona did on condition he qualifies
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Explain T-Ferg and Josh Jackson...those both baffle me for different reasons.
T-Ferg never woulda never qualified, like Brandon Jennings -- Jackson just chose Kansas -- both AZ and KU offered and had set up the desired amount.

even with this info, paying the amount didn't guarantee the player, there is still other factors that make it attractive to the player, so when you have Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, UCLA all ponied up for a player it then becomes the intangibles that everyone is familiar with, playing time, fit, style, etc.

Our boy told it to me this way a few years ago. The guys that are considered great recruiters are legitimately great recruiters. Every school is offering the same dollar amounts. So they still have to be great recruiters to convince guys to choose their school and the same dollar amount the others are offering.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

97cats wrote:

Cal?
the FBI
Did he, did he tell book or was book that fucking stupid
97cats

Post by 97cats »

NYCat wrote:So we didn't offer TFerg anything or Arizona did on condition he qualifies
the later
97cats

Post by 97cats »

UofAlum05 wrote:
97cats wrote:

Our boy told it to me this way a few years ago. The guys that are considered great recruiters are legitimately great recruiters. Every school is offering the same dollar amounts. So they still have to be great recruiters to convince guys to choose their school and the same dollar amount the others are offering.
this is 100% correct
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

NYCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Cal?
the FBI
Book = Fredo. I honestly believe he is a fucking idiot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UofAlum05 wrote:
97cats wrote:

I 100% agree here.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

UofAlum05 wrote:As a Top-10 program and school that wants to compete for Final Fours and Titles there are only 2 spots we could be sitting in right now:

A) We could be one of the 100+ schools not named in the report yesterday that participate in this type of stuff daily. We could have kept our vaunted 2017-18 team in tact and reeled in a recruiting class for the ages for 2018-19. Our coaches could all breath a little sigh of relief, agree internally to clean it up, and reform with the NCAA (with all the other schools who weren't caught). Sure our name would come up in a few documents and there would be suspicions but hey we were one of 100 schools that might be guilty in someway but we are going to clean it up.

-Or-

B) Our assistant coach who everyone with any sort of insight into UofA has been begging Miller to fire for years takes the entire program down. He decides to meet up with a new set of guys with money to offer, team up with our nemesis Adidas who has screwed us in numerous recruiting battles, and pocket $5k for himself. He gets caught on tape. So instead of 1 of the 100 schools who does this crap without getting name he now provides recorded proof of our pay for play. We get nailed in the National press, our rivals (who cheat their asses off too) dance on our grave, and we lose any shot of a normal 2017--18 season and are wondering if we'll have enough players to field a team the next season.
Yes...Miller's loyalty to Book and desire to stand by a friend in his recovery was, in hindsight, a terrible choice.

The rest of it is just going to have to play itself out. But if our rivals think they are any different...that's message board stuff, not real life stuff
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

97cats wrote:Miller intentionally missed on Bowen and Walker cause at that time he was already contacted by the FBI and knew the prob and watch was on, he wanted to try and show that Arizona doesn't pay for its players and subsequently backed off and let the other programs (Miami and Louisville) pay and land their guy.
Wow, this makes it sound like Miller let Book hang himself. Quinerly was well after Bowen and Walker.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Even I appreciate the info from 97cats...
this thread now truly has it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do what I can in my own special way.

You all are welcome. I tried to quit this fucking place. Fail
I'm glad your back Odogg, I learn so much about a program I love from you and many others here. Sorry for letting my emotions get the best of me during the Spain incident; it is one of my faults around here, I know.
Thanks. I don’t hold hard feelings, and I don’t put any stock personally to what is said around here. I talk more shit than most.

With all that’s going on in my life and elsewhere I got tired of spending hours here.

Then Armageddon came.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

NYCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Cal?
the FBI
would you believe me if I told you he let him hang himself, cause he was holding the position that he didn't know what Book was doing with the scummy agents and idiot investors till he was notified by the FBI -- which I 100% believe.

such is life
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Pop McKale wrote:
97cats wrote:Miller intentionally missed on Bowen and Walker cause at that time he was already contacted by the FBI and knew the prob and watch was on, he wanted to try and show that Arizona doesn't pay for its players and subsequently backed off and let the other programs (Miami and Louisville) pay and land their guy.
Wow, this makes it sound like Miller let Book hang himself. Quinerly was well after Bowen and Walker.
jinx
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

97cats wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
jinx
Yup. Holy smokes.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

should I crack a beer? start an "I'm in the mood..." thread

just like the good ol days!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Heard a lot of personal issues with book. I know for fact several players love him. Current and past...

I heard tons of rumors that he isn’t bright, but miller is old school and he’s his guy and the “good cop” with some of the “raging control freak” stuff.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:
97cats wrote:

I 100% agree here.
It's like Lance & Bonds, almost everyone did it (level playing field) and yet they were still head and shoulders and shrunken testicles ahead of everyone else
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
NYCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Cal?
the FBI
would you believe me if I told you he let him hang himself, cause he was holding the position that he didn't know what Book was doing with the scummy agents and idiot investors till he was notified by the FBI -- which I 100% believe.

such is life
Who cares? No one had a gun to Book's head making him take bribes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:
NYCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Cal?
the FBI

such is life
Yes I believe that. It's consistent. Either that's true or none of this is true and you're a 600-pound woman lolling in ass milk. I have no idea what compelled me to type that.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Pop McKale wrote:
97cats wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
jinx
Yup. Holy smokes.
and..........what did Quinerly get -- 15k

not the standard amount

the plot thickens...........................
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Wasn't the story that family told itself in Godfather Part III is that Fredo died in a car accident?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This is going to make a great 30 For 30 segment one day.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Did book kill ace? Or was it Miller himself?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

"15K, not 150K. Quinerly, you in the 10% club."

(handcuffs click)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yes i totally would believe that.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Uh, WTF??

I still don't understand what you mean, EVCat. While I do think I'm a horrible person, it seems you think you and everyone else here is as well. Are you missing some punctuation and lettering, or is that what you mean?
Perhaps I should lose my job as a writer. I don't see it being that hard to grasp, but maybe that is because I wrote it.

I refuse to accept that (to say it is correct that), (comma) because I (me) and almost everyone else (almost everyone else) could see there was shady stuff going in in basketball (we knew things were shady...aau, etc), we (almost everyone and me) were horrible people for watching anyway (this is what i refuse to accept...that we were horrible for still watching while knowing shady things happened).

It is awkward...part of typing on a phone...but the words are correct. I refuse to accept that we are all horrible people for watching while knowing shady stuff was happening. We aren't we just knew there was shady stuff going in...and we still cheered for our team. No biggie
Last edited by EVCat on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dammit wife is calling me to dinner. Lol
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Could it be that book forgot to multiply by 10?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:
97cats wrote:

I 100% agree here.
It's like Lance & Bonds, almost everyone did it (level playing field) and yet they were still head and shoulders and shrunken testicles ahead of everyone else
Yeah. I feel absolutely confident that the determinative factor isn't money. A kid like Josh Jackson, it's not like there are only one or two schools willing to cross a line for him.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

97 so roughly speaking when (month/year) did Sean you think get contacted by the FBI?

I could be off on my timeline, but like 1-2 years ago Sean had a major health change and went from heavy to skinny, sweated alot, seemed off...maybe FBI contacted him around then? Would explain some things, but could be totally coincidental.
Last edited by TheGreatCatsby on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Could it be that book forgot to multiply by 10?
A large part of me thinks Book was just shaking them down for money for himself. By the time he did or didn't deliver, what could they do about it?

Plus, there are zero Arizona pro players with that agency...
97cats

Post by 97cats »

or that by that time Miller was already assisting the FEDS and the standard wasn't available -- also, Quin wasn't a 150k guy...book did this all on his own, and Miller let him.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat wrote:

Longhorned wrote:I still don't understand what you mean, EVCat. While I do think I'm a horrible person, it seems you think you and everyone else here is as well. Are you missing some punctuation and lettering, or is that what you mean?
EVcat wrote:Perhaps I should lose my job as a writer. I don't see it being that hard to grasp, but maybe that is because I wrote it.

I refuse to accept (to say it is correct) that, (comma) because I (me) and almost everyone else (almost everyone else) , could see there was shady stuff going in in basketball (we knew things were shady...aau, etc), we (almost everyone and me) were horrible people for watching anyway (this is what i refuse to accept...that we were horrible for still watching while knowing shady things happened).

It is awkward...part of typing on a phone...but the words are correct.
I see, it connects across clauses. Thanks.
Last edited by Longhorned on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
or that by that time Miller was already assisting the FEDS and the standard wasn't available -- also, Quin wasn't a 150k guy...book did this all on his own, and Miller let him.
Was a joke based on the stupidity of that sum...
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

True/False: Coach K was a hold out in this whole Pay for Play with one and done/AAU players originally. But it was our beat down of them in 2011 that made him realize he needed to have start talent and that was more important than 4-year development guys. Now Duke is worse than anyone.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UofAlum05 wrote:True/False: Coach K was a hold out in this whole Pay for Play with one and done/AAU players originally. But it was our beat down of them in 2011 that made him realize he needed to talent was more important than 4-year development guys. Now Duke is worse than anyone.
This seems so fucking true.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:97 so roughly speaking when (month/year) did Sean you think get contacted by the FBI?

I could be off on my timeline, but like 1-2 years ago Sean had a major health change and went from heavy to skinny, sweated alot, seemed off...maybe FBI contacted him around then? Would explain some things, but could be totally coincidental.
Book got surveillance on him in March, I'm not sure exactly when but it was post the meeting in NY where Richarsdson was first caught on audio agreeing to , yes, 5k a month,

lmmfao
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:
Was a joke based on the stupidity of that sum...
oh I know my man
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UofAlum05 wrote:True/False: Coach K was a hold out in this whole Pay for Play with one and done/AAU players originally. But it was our beat down of them in 2011 that made him realize he needed to talent was more important than 4-year development guys. Now Duke is worse than anyone.
I'll go with false because it's too good a story. K neither held out or went along, but Duke people have facilitated payments to Duke recruits for over two decades.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote:
TheGreatCatsby wrote:97 so roughly speaking when (month/year) did Sean you think get contacted by the FBI?

Book got surveillance on him in March, I'm not sure exactly when but it was post the meeting in NY where Richarsdson was first caught on audio agreeing to , yes, 5k a month,

lmmfao
Glad Book is gone then (though I feel empathy for him) - pretty fucking bummed we lost Quin in the process though. Like, I literally just typed up a fucking essay on him here yesterday!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Now that the sentence diagramming is done (I used to actually enjoy that exercise. I can recognize the third should have swapped for the 2nd to read "I refuse to accept that we are all bad people for still watching while knowing shady stuff was happening"), I can get back to writing novels about Polyannas and Sean's mastery when considering the competitive equality of the system 97Cats described :)
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

97cats wrote:
NYCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Cal?
the FBI

such is life
Good evening.

So wait... Are you saying the FBI told Miller they were investigating Book? Did I read something wrong? Because that definitely doesn't sound right. Why would they discuss an ongoing investigation with someone who at that point may even turn out to be an accomplice once the full investigation is over, especially considering that Book only comes into play this past spring. Doesn't seem like enough time to clear anyone associated with the Program.

Or maybe I'm just spinning all of this in my head too much.
prh

Post by prh »

Again, huge thanks for everything 97. Question answered above, posts come so quick
Last edited by prh on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

LBdCactus wrote:
97cats wrote:
NYCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Cal?
the FBI

such is life
Good evening.

So wait... Are you saying the FBI told Miller they were investigating Book? Did I read something wrong? Because that definitely doesn't sound right. Why would they discuss an ongoing investigation with someone who at that point may even turn out to be an accomplice once the full investigation is over, especially considering that Book only comes into play this past spring. Doesn't seem like enough time to clear anyone associated with the Program.

Or maybe I'm just spinning all of this in my head too much.
Wouldn't it be the other way around? That Miller/Arizona informed the FBI?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

UofAlum05 wrote:True/False: Coach K was a hold out in this whole Pay for Play with one and done/AAU players originally. But it was our beat down of them in 2011 that made him realize he needed to have start talent and that was more important than 4-year development guys. Now Duke is worse than anyone.
partly true -- Coach K never used to be involved. I mean, when Cory Magettee comes out of the hood of Chicago to Duke and qualifies, Coach K wasn't the one that authorized the pay, but you better be damn sure a booster helped.

as the years went on, to your point, the competitive balance changed and Duke began to be more like the others.