Game 1 Impressions Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAGreg

Game 1 Impressions Thread

Post by UAGreg »

Finally the wait is over. Time to put Wisconsin behind us and get this thing going again. Figured I'd post some of the things I noticed tonight, seeing how it's Friday night and all I wanna do is sit here and talk Cats.

TJ - I know most here won't really like the comparison, but he really does have that Aaron Craft feel to his game. He's an absolute nightmare defensively. I think he had what, 4 steals tonight? Like seeing him look for his shot tonight, even if it wasn't falling. He's a good shooter and they'll fall eventually, but him being a threat to score really makes his job easier as a point guard.

BAsh - Think this kid really has PAC12 POY potential. There's not much this kid can't do at this point. He's back and better than ever. Great touch around the rim, rebounded well. His length is a real asset on defense. Icing on the cake was that 18 footer he hit off the dribble. In the post game the y made a comment about Josh Scott being the best front court player in the league, and I couldn't disagree more.

Zeus - One word to describe him tonight was steady. Team didn't really look for him much in the post, but he did work on the boards and I thought he defended really well. Announcers made a comment about his ball screen hedging, and I really think he's one of the best at it in college basketball. Really would like us to get him some more looks down low.

York - Scored 5 quick ones and then really cooled off. His shot just wasn't there tonight, but I thought he was pretty solid defensively. He's gonna have nights where the shot isn't falling, but I would have liked to see him be a bit more aggressive. He worked hard on his game this summer, let's see some mid range game.

Stanley - Really tried to force the issue tonight, which, honestly is fairly normal for a freshman with expectations like he has (Gordon was the exception, not the rule). The tendency is to overreact, but one of the many things I love about Miller is he's not afraid to sit him if he's not playing team basketball. I think we'll see a much more well rounded Stanley on Sunday. That bounce pass off the dribble to Zeus was a thing of beauty though.

Rondae - ESPN named him the best returning dunker in college for a reason. The kid is explosive and the motor gets him a lot of those easy looks. He's essentially getting the AG plays from last year. Would have liked to see him on the glass a little more, and that jumper still doesn't look great. Probably had 5 top 10 dunks tonight though, love the energy. He really sparked that run at the end of the half and got the crowd going. He's the X factor for this team.

PJC - Best freshman on the floor tonight. In fact, he didn't look like a freshman at all. Loved it when he posted up the 5'5" guard to MSM. I think Merkin said it in the game thread, but it'll be nice this year to not worry when the backup comes in. Sure there will be growing pains like with any freshman, but hopefully he gets some real burn this season. A few extra minutes of rest gives TJ the chance to really go all out on the defensive end.

Overall I thought there were some really good things, and some things that need work. MSM made some ridiculous shots, and we might as well have been shooting our free throws from half court. The defense will get better with time, and I don't really see free throws being an issue this year.

Looking forward to Sunday, let's keep this thing rolling. 46th straight game holding an opponent under 75 points.
Bosy Billups

Re: Game 1 Impressions Thread

Post by Bosy Billups »

SJ needs to defer being "the man" to his elders.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

When we hit perimter shots we are tough to bea. I was disappointed in York's shooting and defense at times. Just seemed to lose focus.

Loved Ashley and his return only made me think of what if. RHJ always exciting and Zuess is the proverbial aircraft carrier. Wore them down.

MSM hit some tough shots to stay in it but when we turned it up a notch they were in trouble. Loved PJC and hopes he continues that way. Just need York and Pitts to hit about 5 three's a game and we roll
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Tarc and Ashley----------------definite anchors down in the post this season.

I agree with what Miller said in the presser, "Tarc played a great game defensively tonight"
Me personally I see he will still at times bobble the ball on the entry or rebound but I believe Tarc will be a huge difference maker toward our quest for the championship this year. He's strong, in great shape, more competitive than ever and a leader out there.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Bosy Billups wrote:SJ needs to defer being "the man" to his elders.
I disagree. Want to see Stanley keep being aggressive in the half court game. Didn't mind his few iso play drives at all. We need at least 1 guy with a scoring focus. We haven't had a reliable go to scorer in years (Nick just couldn't cut it) and Stanley could develop into a decent late game threat, or at least get fouled bulling to the basket like Lebron. Stanley could become a Jimmy Butler-like type that the Bulls have.

Sure, when the numbers aren't there in transition Stanley can pass it up earlier, he can improve there; but in the half court game, give him his chances. We're gonna need that scoring in the later rounds of the tournament when the team ball concept falls apart for stretches (like it did against Ohio State and Wisconsin in the past 2 tourney exits where we had huge scoring droughts in the second half)

Stanley will keep getting better. Game 1. Freshman. Will be fun watching him get better. But TONS of potential.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This team is going to get so much better. That was my main takeaway.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Stanley's issue isn't his pressing. It's when. It'll happen. He's feeling out when and where his spots are, and developing instincts, reactions, and skills to push his agenda when it's best. I have no issue with his style. We need it. We just need it to be efficient.

Glad to see McConnell force the issue offensively early. It's didn't fall, but he needs to develop the habit now in these gimme games before we need it and he struggles to find it. He needs to attempt 8 shots a game. It'll be a benefit to Arizona if he is a threat. He doesn't need to look for it, but develop skills and instincts to take advantage when it's there, because it's there a lot.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:This team is going to get so much better. That was my main takeaway.
Mine too. So much talent and depth. If we can hit FTs and defend the three, can't see how we don't improve upon last season.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

#teamparker
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

JMarkJohns wrote:Stanley's issue isn't his pressing. It's when. It'll happen. He's feeling out when and where his spots are, and developing instincts, reactions, and skills to push his agenda when it's best. I have no issue with his style. We need it. We just need it to be efficient.

Glad to see McConnell force the issue offensively early. It's didn't fall, but he needs to develop the habit now in these gimme games before we need it and he struggles to find it. He needs to attempt 8 shots a game. It'll be a benefit to Arizona if he is a threat. He doesn't need to look for it, but develop skills and instincts to take advantage when it's there, because it's there a lot.
Agree on McConnell. He isn't bad terrible shooter, no matter how terrible his form is. Last year he just didn't shoot. If teams at least know he'll actually put up shots, then that will add to everyone else doing well.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PJC is straight stud.

Love that guy as 6th (7th?) man.

Doubtful, but maybe (hopefully) Miller creates a 40 minutes of hell pressing package.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UAGreg wrote:Finally the wait is over. Time to put Wisconsin behind us and get this thing going again. Figured I'd post some of the things I noticed tonight, seeing how it's Friday night and all I wanna do is sit here and talk Cats.

TJ - I know most here won't really like the comparison, but he really does have that Aaron Craft feel to his game. He's an absolute nightmare defensively. I think he had what, 4 steals tonight? Like seeing him look for his shot tonight, even if it wasn't falling. He's a good shooter and they'll fall eventually, but him being a threat to score really makes his job easier as a point guard.

BAsh - Think this kid really has PAC12 POY potential. There's not much this kid can't do at this point. He's back and better than ever. Great touch around the rim, rebounded well. His length is a real asset on defense. Icing on the cake was that 18 footer he hit off the dribble. In the post game the y made a comment about Josh Scott being the best front court player in the league, and I couldn't disagree more.

Zeus - One word to describe him tonight was steady. Team didn't really look for him much in the post, but he did work on the boards and I thought he defended really well. Announcers made a comment about his ball screen hedging, and I really think he's one of the best at it in college basketball. Really would like us to get him some more looks down low.

York - Scored 5 quick ones and then really cooled off. His shot just wasn't there tonight, but I thought he was pretty solid defensively. He's gonna have nights where the shot isn't falling, but I would have liked to see him be a bit more aggressive. He worked hard on his game this summer, let's see some mid range game.

Stanley - Really tried to force the issue tonight, which, honestly is fairly normal for a freshman with expectations like he has (Gordon was the exception, not the rule). The tendency is to overreact, but one of the many things I love about Miller is he's not afraid to sit him if he's not playing team basketball. I think we'll see a much more well rounded Stanley on Sunday. That bounce pass off the dribble to Zeus was a thing of beauty though.

Rondae - ESPN named him the best returning dunker in college for a reason. The kid is explosive and the motor gets him a lot of those easy looks. He's essentially getting the AG plays from last year. Would have liked to see him on the glass a little more, and that jumper still doesn't look great. Probably had 5 top 10 dunks tonight though, love the energy. He really sparked that run at the end of the half and got the crowd going. He's the X factor for this team.

PJC - Best freshman on the floor tonight. In fact, he didn't look like a freshman at all. Loved it when he posted up the 5'5" guard to MSM. I think Merkin said it in the game thread, but it'll be nice this year to not worry when the backup comes in. Sure there will be growing pains like with any freshman, but hopefully he gets some real burn this season. A few extra minutes of rest gives TJ the chance to really go all out on the defensive end.

Overall I thought there were some really good things, and some things that need work. MSM made some ridiculous shots, and we might as well have been shooting our free throws from half court. The defense will get better with time, and I don't really see free throws being an issue this year.

Looking forward to Sunday, let's keep this thing rolling. 46th straight game holding an opponent under 75 points.

Nice post.

A couple of quick hits per box score nos.

Zeus 9 reb 2 blks, Stanley 7 rebs.
Rondae was awesome 2 stls 2 blks 15 pts
TJ 8 asts...very cool.
Brandon is back! 8-9 19 pts, 2 stls, 5 rebs
PJC way to go kid.. 2 3's, 8 pts, 2 asts.. (that pass to Rondae on the slam ..wow!)

Box score:
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... a-wildcats

this box score has zues with 10 reb, sj 6

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400591790
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Official AZ box score has Tarc with 10 boards (Miller even referenced him having a double double in the post game) http://www.arizonawildcats.com/pdf9/297 ... M_ID=30700
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Sonora919

Post by Sonora919 »

Great OP. My thoughts...

The McC/Craft comparison is fair. I see TJ as being more assertive on offense and more expressive though, which is a huge benefit for us as a team.

I don't see us having the PAC 12 player of the year this year. Stan/Rondae/BAsh/Zeus... each will be the team's best player at least a handful of times. And that's a great thing. I feel we were too reliant of Nick to be the man last year. Its like a den of cobras this year... teams aren't going to know which one bit them until its too late.

Totally agree on York. I expect him to be streaky on O, but as long as he's steady on D we should be just fine. One of he or Pitts is going to have to be hot in the big games though... we'll need the floor spacing when the competition is stiff.

Love the other freshmen... all of them look like they'll be able to contribute sooner than later. Especially PJC. That's priceless come March.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:This team is going to get so much better. That was my main takeaway.
Mine too. So much talent and depth. If we can hit FTs and defend the three, can't see how we don't improve upon last season.
Hope that talent and depth at numbers 7,8,9 can give us 5-8 min a game against the great teams too. Like what I see from Pitts, PJC, and Rustic. Victor needs more time to develop his frame.

I mentioned this I think on another site or somewhere else but still amazed that a guy like Victor literally looked tiny next to our top 6. The era of Miller is upon us!

Fun to watch Pitts, York and PJC out there at the same time last night. PJC is quick.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

my thoughts:

-- 57.4% FG -- i like that
-- 20-24 combined from the floor for Tarc/Ashley/Jefferson while McConnell/Johnson/York were 7-24
-- 11 steals
-- 5 blks
-- 17 assists to 8 turnovers (south of 10) on 31 made FG's
-- 10 rebounds for Tarc (double double)
-- +7 on the glass as a team
-- no player +30 min(s) and 8 players +10 min(s)
-- 23 point win in the first game of the season = good start
-- Arizona has now won 22 straight games at McKale Center

**few notes**

Coach Miller had the team nondescript in the first 15 min(s) of the game on defense, applying a very vanilla and straight up concept on the perimeter. when AZ aborted that phylosophy and began to switch on EVERY screen their length, athleticism, and size took over the game and blew things open. as the season progresses look for Arizona to morph into a team that switches on every screen on the perimeter, especially when the biggest and best line-up starts to dominate the min(s) played.

if you miss practice during the week you will not start; clearly to me the best line-up NOW that also includes the highest ceiling/upside for AZ is its biggest line-up -- Jefferson should start from now on as long as he doesn't take himself out of work-outs.

once again this season, AZ's HUGE size is going to be its biggest weapon, i think the CATS had 10+ dunks at least -- on the flip side, gonna be awful hard for opponents to do EVERYTHING at the high level required/necessary for 40 min(s) to beat AZ. once again i see teams breaking down as the game wears on while i see Arizona starting methodically and taking the game by the throat as it develops.

what a great night for Brandon Ashley -- it was said by me many times that him being forced to watch from the sidelines last yr was the best tonic for his biggest weakness, being engaged consistently all the time. indications point to his mental make-up being strengthened by being displaced last season -- Ashley has all the skills of a pro, its seems now his focus and mature attitude has caught up with his natural ELITE level ability.

Arizona should be top 5 all season and should win 35+ games.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why did RHJ miss practice?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:Why did RHJ miss practice?
tweaked his shoulder..cautionary

RJ was on a mission last night. Slama jama
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Why did RHJ miss practice?
tweaked his shoulder..cautionary

RJ was on a mission last night. Slama jama
Thanks Hi.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

My biggest surprise I guess was how in command of his game PJC is. The dude is Webster sized but it doesn't faze him. How many PGs have we had come in and disappoint with their handles right away? He still has a ways to go to develop but you can see how good he can be already.
gumby

Post by gumby »

You dirty Cats. Better start making those free throws.
Well, Pilgrim, when yer biggest horses go 14-16, yer gonna win the rodeo.
Parker Jackson-Cartwright. Pretty good. Pretty, pretty good.
Leads are for closers. You can't make the free throws. You don't don't get the leads.
We'll always have 1997.
What's your Vector, Victor?
Help me, Rondae! Help, help me Rondae!
The other teams are gonna need a bigger boat.
Right where I want to be.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

RHJ should be starting - he is clearly the second best player on the team behind Bash. Pitts should be playing more than York. SJ needs to stop launching shots from 3-point range and let the game come to him - clearly he will be a monster slashing to the basket. PJC was very impressive - that kid needs significant minutes this year, sort of reminds one of Damon.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Nobody puts Rondae in the corner (unless he sits out a practice).
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

midnightx wrote:RHJ should be starting - he is clearly the second best player on the team behind Bash.
I thought it was interesting they announcers were stating that RHJ has the most pro-potential of any UA player.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Our leading foul shooter is at 66.7%. Rest of the team = Aaron Gordon.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Merkin wrote:
midnightx wrote:RHJ should be starting - he is clearly the second best player on the team behind Bash.
I thought it was interesting they announcers were stating that RHJ has the most pro-potential of any UA player.
I will be shocked if RHJ is not in the starting line-up in the next couple of weeks. I get that Miller possibly wants to recreate what AZ represented last year and have RHJ come off the bench as a way to keep the speed, defensive pressure, and size coming at opponents even when the first substitutions occur. It keeps the momentum going and maintains a supreme talent level in place. It also apparently helps York get going by not keeping him on the bench too long. Nevertheless, RHJ is a stud. He and Bash may be the two that set the offensive and defensive tone for this team -- they should be on the floor together at the start of every game. Granted, this was only the first game against inferior competition, but Stanley looked like a freshman and did not look nearly as comfortable and complete as RHJ. If Miller needs to keep Stanley in the starting line-up, then York needs to sit. If York comes out too cold by being a 6th man, then Pitts should get more minutes.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Starters will be tj, rhj, tarc and Ashley with York and Johnson going back and forth depending who we play

Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

The team will come together and play better as several have mentioned.
Even at this stage lots of good things.
Keep the other team at less than 40% FG%? check
Outrebound other team by double digits? check
Keep the other team under 60 pts? check
Hold your TOs down? check
If Arizona shoots anywhere near a decent FT%, they win by 30 and no one questions anything.
It isn't always pretty but I'm chill.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

midnightx wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I will be shocked if RHJ is not in the starting line-up in the next couple of weeks. I get that Miller possibly wants to recreate what AZ represented last year and have RHJ come off the bench as a way to keep the speed, defensive pressure, and size coming at opponents even when the first substitutions occur. It keeps the momentum going and maintains a supreme talent level in place. It also apparently helps York get going by not keeping him on the bench too long. Nevertheless, RHJ is a stud. He and Bash may be the two that set the offensive and defensive tone for this team -- they should be on the floor together at the start of every game. Granted, this was only the first game against inferior competition, but Stanley looked like a freshman and did not look nearly as comfortable and complete as RHJ. If Miller needs to keep Stanley in the starting line-up, then York needs to sit. If York comes out too cold by being a 6th man, then Pitts should get more minutes.
He missed a practice. Shoulder injury, said Miller.