Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:We got swept and our Net rating went up. :lol:
Last edited by azgreg on Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

azgreg wrote:
[tweet]https://media.tenor.com/images/b801459c ... /tenor.gif[/tweet]
This is how I explained it to my 5 year old.

The algorithm used to calculate the net rankings takes many things into account to come up with a non predictive rating that the committee can use to "seed" teams. However there seems to be some predictive analytics quality to it.

Since the to games we lost were to teams that were decently regarded in the net and they were away games and they were not blow outs they did not count against us, and with the vast amount of other highly rated teams losing this weekend to inferior teams at home in some cases, it made our relative position in the metric appear to rise compared to the rest of the population.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
azgreg wrote:

The algorithm used to calculate the net rankings takes many things into account to come up with a non predictive rating that the committee can use to "seed" teams. However there seems to be some predictive analytics quality to it.

Since the to games we lost were to teams that were decently regarded in the net and they were away games and they were not blow outs they did not count against us, and with the vast amount of other highly rated teams losing this weekend to inferior teams at home in some cases, it made our relative position in the metric appear to rise compared to the rest of the population.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

azgreg wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Ha , that's what my five year old said too!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chevy was great - Arizona needs to rebound and win two at home.

if they do a middling seed is likely
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:Chevy was great - Arizona needs to rebound and win two at home.

If we don't sweep the Washington schools at home I'm done wasting my time watching this team play this year.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote:If we don't sweep the Washington schools at home I'm done wasting my time watching this team play this year.
ive felt your pain this year, my man - im gonna ask ya to hang in there with me.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman wrote:
97cats wrote:Chevy was great - Arizona needs to rebound and win two at home.

If we don't sweep the Washington schools at home I'm done wasting my time watching this team play this year.
The cats are going to sweep this weekend
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

97cats wrote:
Alieberman wrote:If we don't sweep the Washington schools at home I'm done wasting my time watching this team play this year.
ive felt your pain this year, my man - im gonna ask ya to hang in there with me.
yip.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm as confident that we'll go 2-0 this week as I was that we wouldn't last week.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:
I'm out. This team sucks. Miller has lost it. Losing on Senior night.... again.

Goodnight
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
97cats wrote:
I'm out. This team sucks. Miller has lost it. Losing on Senior night.... again.

Goodnight
To the last place team in the conference. Figured I'd point that out as well.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Boo hoo everyone...

...Go Cats
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I would be ok with this bracket, https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Irish27 wrote:I would be ok with this bracket, https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/" target="_blank
Ditto.

Only #1 seed to stay away from is Kansas. Although I really don't think it matters at this point. This team is what they are...and it isn't very good.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It’s possible I’m losing it, but I relish the possibility of facing a #1 seed in the second round, provided we can get out of the first (lol!). For all its warts, this team has actually performed well against Gonzaga, Baylor and Oregon. Maybe the pressure and high-stakes of facing a top seed is what this team needs to light a fire under its ass and play good basketball for two halves. Or maybe I’m still just sipping the Kool-Aid.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

No fans at either men's or women's tournament. Holy shit.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SabinoDrifter wrote:No fans at either men's or women's tournament. Holy shit.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So stupid. So the audio will be commentators and squeaky shoes for 2 hours?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Beachcat97 wrote:It’s possible I’m losing it, but I relish the possibility of facing a #1 seed in the second round, provided we can get out of the first (lol!). For all its warts, this team has actually performed well against Gonzaga, Baylor and Oregon. Maybe the pressure and high-stakes of facing a top seed is what this team needs to light a fire under its ass and play good basketball for two halves. Or maybe I’m still just sipping the Kool-Aid.
Wow, I applaud your fandom. Can't get past the flaming dumpster in my view.

Btw, that's piss with red dye number five, not Kool-aid. But keep on drinkin..
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Jefe wrote:So stupid. So the audio will be commentators and squeaky shoes for 2 hours?
Not sure how preventing disease spread is stupid
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:So stupid. So the audio will be commentators and squeaky shoes for 2 hours?
What I don't understand is why we're talking about "empty arenas." Why waste arenas on games with no fans? Why not put those NCAA tournament floors inside high-end, modern gyms? And why not take advantage of the absence of noise by letting us hear the voices of players and coaches and officials? It could actually be an interesting TV experience.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This will be interesting. Some if not most players at this level play better in front of a fired up crowd. It's going to take a strong mental game to play their best now.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Longhorned wrote:
What I don't understand is why we're talking about "empty arenas." Why waste arenas on games with no fans? Why not put those NCAA tournament floors inside high-end, modern gyms? And why not take advantage of the absence of noise by letting us hear the voices of players and coaches and officials? It could actually be an interesting TV experience.
This is a really good idea, and I wish they'd do this instead. It'd really get people talking and maybe encourage less commentating in the future.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:This will be interesting. Some if not most players at this level play better in front of a fired up crowd. It's going to take a strong mental game to play their best now.
Are the crowds ever fired up in these tourney games? Attendance is pretty low in the open rounds. In the Final Four, the crowd is largely neutral, and the distance of the fans from the courts sucks all the energy out of our TV's.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:This will be interesting. Some if not most players at this level play better in front of a fired up crowd. It's going to take a strong mental game to play their best now.
Are the crowds ever fired up in these tourney games? Attendance is pretty low in the open rounds. In the Final Four, the crowd is largely neutral, and the distance of the fans from the courts sucks all the energy out of our TV's.
Actually, most first week games only bring in the crowd when an upset starts happening.... That's been my experience when I've been in the arena....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Actually... this could be great for our Cats. These games are going to feel like practices and we always hear about how well we play / shoot in practice.

Final 4!!!!!!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Too bad barcello is at BYU. Hope we don't play them.
-Norlander.
eoe

Post by eoe »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Too bad barcello is at BYU. Hope we don't play them.
:lol:

He looked exactly like he did at UA in the game against Saint Mary’s

No mistakes, nothing of note, non factor on both sides of the ball except now he plays a ton of minutes. 4 year borderline role player

Back to the topic: Scheer mentioned early in the season that Mannion plays much better in big hyped up games, so if that’s the case, I’m worried what a dead arena will do to his already roller coaster game
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

eoe wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Too bad barcello is at BYU. Hope we don't play them.
:lol:

He looked exactly like he did at UA in the game against Saint Mary’s

No mistakes, nothing of note, non factor on both sides of the ball except now he plays a ton of minutes. 4 year borderline role player

Back to the topic: Scheer mentioned early in the season that Mannion plays much better in big hyped up games, so if that’s the case, I’m worried what a dead arena will do to his already roller coaster game
49% from 3 on the year.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

NBA suspended their season after a player tested positive for the covid 19
Wonder what the next step is for the NCAA
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:NBA suspended their season after a player tested positive for the covid 19
NCAA tourney has 68 teams. Much bigger. 2019-2020 is over.

Arizona finally won its last tourney game of the year. We're champions!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Longhorned wrote:Arizona finally won its last tourney game of the year. We're champions!
Well there's the ending no one saw coming. :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:NBA suspended their season after a player tested positive for the covid 19
There aren’t enough tests in enough places to test every kid, coach, and ref. Right now, tests are really only being done on people who exhibit severe symptoms AND traveled from an area where there is a severe outbreak or came into contact with someone who has it.

So, can you put all those people together not knowing if one, five, ten, or fifty of them have it?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If the tourney gets canceled, Piece of Meat should post the game times and game threads for every game Arizona is in for a virtual tourney. Of course, we should do 1997. Everyone can gather at the designated time in the game thread and watch every game unfold.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
There aren’t enough tests in enough places to test every kid, coach, and ref. Right now, tests are really only being done on people who exhibit severe symptoms AND traveled from an area where there is a severe outbreak or came into contact with someone who has it.

So, can you put all those people together not knowing if one, five, ten, or fifty of them have it?
Seriously they should just cancel it all at this point.
Longhorned wrote:If the tourney gets canceled, Piece of Meat should post the game times and game threads for every game Arizona is in for a virtual tourney. Of course, we should do 1997. Everyone can gather at the designated time in the game thread and watch every game unfold.
alright
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can't wait for the Selection Show on Sunday!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:Can't wait for the Selection Show on Sunday!

Has Lunardi been laid off yet?

How will he pay for his toupees?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'm gonna laugh so hard when the NCAA tries to "postpone" the tourney for "amateurs".

Cancel the season already, and this Creighton vs. St. Johns game, the final game of the season, is for the natty.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I kinda wish they would release the seedings online, just so we know what we would've been seeded and who we could've played.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

AZCatGirl wrote:I kinda wish they would release the seedings online, just so we know what we would've been seeded and who we could've played.
Those will not be accurate as they would want to seed to reduce travel anyway.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

and there it is.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:and there it is.
yeah the acc came out and cancelled everything

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketb ... ournament/" target="_blank

without the acc, there's no ncaa tourney
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Can a team of computer engineers quickly create virtual reality headsets with body sensors guiding the motion of inanimate dummies? So that every player will be alone on the court with nine dummies, and a video feed from a neutral perspective will be broadcast on TV? Just asking.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Well, it’s nice to know Duke is the first team officially out of the NCAA tourney.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

zonagrad wrote:
Well, it’s nice to know Duke is the first team officially out of the NCAA tourney.
lmfao :lol: :lol:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

zonagrad wrote:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Well, finally official

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Officially over. Not postponed. Finished.