Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TatetheGreat

Re: Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Post by TatetheGreat »

I like how PJC has been attacking the basket lately, but we need him taking our threes late in games. Trier going 0/2 vs. PJC going 1/2 could mean a lot in the coming games.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

TatetheGreat wrote:I like how PJC has been attacking the basket lately, but we need him taking our threes late in games. Trier going 0/2 vs. PJC going 1/2 could mean a lot in the coming games.
Yep, I saw several times where he looked scared to shoot it from three....then again going 0-5 (overall) vs Wazzu probably made him lose confidence in his shot :-(. He was WIDE open a few times but chose to pass it off instead.

His offense was a glaring weakness at UW. Very disappointing road trip from our Senior PG.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Aaron Holiday is gonna have nightmares about PJC tonight.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

So... can PJC do that again?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:So... can PJC do that again?
Never underestimate the power of Seniors. If he keeps this up and Ristic does his thing...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
Never underestimate the power of Seniors. If he keeps this up and Ristic does his thing...
I want him to make me eat some of my words around here. When PJC is on, we are much better.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Extremely frustrating how disruptive PJC was to UCLA's (admittedly rather easy to disrupt) offense. Good performance.

Good game Arizona, let's do the rubber match in San Antonio. Ha.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Bruins01 wrote:Extremely frustrating how disruptive PJC was to UCLA's (admittedly rather easy to disrupt) offense. Good performance.

Good game Arizona, let's do the rubber match in San Antonio. Ha.
UCLA always plays ball to the wall against us. I see another Sweet 16 in your future. Too much talent to languish like you do against the mediocre PAC 12 teams. Thanks for stopping by after a loss.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
I want him to make me eat some of my words around here. When PJC is on, we are much better.
indeed
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Arguably his best game of the year.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just nails.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

PJC absolutely stunned me with his effort tonight. Best defensive game by far I've ever seen him play.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

You all make it sound as if this is the only game PJC has ever played clutch for us. He does it multiple games a season, despite having pedestrian stats. (the one that stands out in my mind is the Mich St comeback in Hawaii).

He is the best point guard (subcategory Game Manager) we've had in the post Lute-era. He takes care of the ball, good A:T, important threes and steals. And even when he misses, his shot selection never makes you want to scream. If only he was like 3 inches taller.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:You all make it sound as if this is the only game PJC has ever played clutch for us. He does it multiple games a season, despite having pedestrian stats. (the one that stands out in my mind is the Mich St comeback in Hawaii).

He is the best point guard (subcategory Game Manager) we've had in the post Lute-era. He takes care of the ball, good A:T, important threes and steals. And even when he misses, his shot selection never makes you want to scream. If only he was like 3 inches taller.
Ahem.

Have we forgotten about T. J. already? ;)
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

UAtrue wrote:
1stNGrant Frys wrote:You all make it sound as if this is the only game PJC has ever played clutch for us. He does it multiple games a season, despite having pedestrian stats. (the one that stands out in my mind is the Mich St comeback in Hawaii).

Ahem.

Have we forgotten about T. J. already? ;)
Not at all, I'd say TJ was more of pure passer/consistent defender rather than game manager. TJ's passes would literally WOW us, I can't recall one particularly good PJC pass.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If PJC is part of a national title team, he may actually make a case for himself as best PG of the post-Lute era. And yes, that includes TJ.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

PJC was a force to be reckoned with today...so damn proud of that little Dude!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

You make it sound like it's a bad thing to be excited about a hell of a game from our point guard.

Love what he brought last night and hoping he brings it at least a couple more times in the real tourney :)

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

From the second level of the arena, on defense PJC looked like he was channeling TJ. If he can do that for 7 more games look out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

In my book, PJC gets POG. Held Aaron Holiday to 5 for 20 and 3ast to 3Tos. Holiday came in averaging almost a triple double with around 30 points a game (78 points in his previous 2 in the tourney).

PJC doesnt play the defensive game of the year, we don't win that game even with Ayton going off.

Thomas Welch, the "Immortal Irishman" per Walton, gets POG otherwise with 17 and 17.

With all our starters near 40 minutes with the OT I hope we have enough gas in the tank for USC!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe gets some MVP chants tonight?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

He played awesome last night - hopefully he can keep it going...
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Keep up this level of play PJC.

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Playing like he doesn't want his college career to end!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PJC is ARIZONA GOOD!!!

Period.

End of story.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

pc in NM wrote:PJC is ARIZONA GOOD!!!

Period.

End of story.

I concur. Honestly, If we let down in the madness I don't think it'll be b/c PJC...it'll be a rawle or trier, or combination letdown. PJC is solid. I trust PJC going into the tourney.

And especially if he's got the open shot, compared to some of the other guys...I want PJC taking that shot. I've gotten to the point I expect him to make the open 3. He is solid.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

WildHolcs wrote:
pc in NM wrote:PJC is ARIZONA GOOD!!!

Period.

End of story.

I concur. Honestly, If we let down in the madness I don't think it'll be b/c PJC...it'll be a rawle or trier, or combination letdown. PJC is solid. I trust PJC going into the tourney.

And especially if he's got the open shot, compared to some of the other guys...I want PJC taking that shot. I've gotten to the point I expect him to make the open 3. He is solid.
Yeah the thing about about PJC is that he must be open and on-balance. He may be our best shooter in that scenario. But if he isn’t, there is no chance for it to go in. Other guys can make shots coming off screens or when challenged or off-balance. But he’s pretty good about knowing his limitations. He sometimes doesn’t know his limitations when it comes to driving inside and that shows in his poor 2 point percentage. But he seems to be getting himself under control lately.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Last night he was driving to the basket.... a scenario that we have seen time after time where he lays it up only to get it blocked by guys a foot taller.... but instead he dished it to Trier.... such an improved and smart move
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alieberman wrote:Last night he was driving to the basket.... a scenario that we have seen time after time where he lays it up only to get it blocked by guys a foot taller.... but instead he dished it to Trier.... such an improved and smart move
I loved that
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PJC had the second best tourny IMO. Two of the best point guards in the conference didnt do much and despite the energy required to play them like Parker did, he still went out and ran the offense, made multiple huge steals, knocked down his open shots, and never stopped hustling, all knowing he wasn't gonna get much of a breather all game. If we get this PJC in the NCAAs we have to really be liking our chances of cutting down the nets. His whole career he had to hear how he wasnt Arizona good and how his position was the one weakness in what could have been a legendary team. Probably has the biggest chip on his shoulder.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

His floater is 1000x better than Rawle's that's for sure.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

EastCoastCat wrote:His floater is 1000x better than Rawle's that's for sure.
Wait, a floater isnt supposed to go as high as the shot clock?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don't think Parker has ever taken an ill advised 3. Every time he shoots 1, it is the right choice.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TucsonClip wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:His floater is 1000x better than Rawle's that's for sure.
Wait, a floater isnt supposed to go as high as the shot clock?
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

You make it sound like it's a bad thing to be excited about a hell of a game from our point guard.

Love what he brought last night and hoping he brings it at least a couple more times in the real tourney :)
Nahh I'm glad we are all happy. To me it seems everytime PJC has a clutch game everyone seems to act as if it never happened before.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

“They punched us in the mouth from the beginning and even though we were down two at the half, it felt like we were down 15. They stole our pride from us today.”

i still have an open jaw listening and reading this comment

unreal
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Man 97...

I have no words. Especially after Vegas when I dreamt of rubbing shit all up in your face.

Now I’m feeling like an ass
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

97cats wrote:“They punched us in the mouth from the beginning and even though we were down two at the half, it felt like we were down 15. They stole our pride from us today.”

i still have an open jaw listening and reading this comment

unreal
He's just not a capable point guard at the level required to be successful. I can't hate on the kid because I don't know him. And he's never been in trouble or embarrassed himself or the program. People blast his personality and demeanor, but I think that's just who he is. And you can't have a guy who appears to get down on himself or lose confidence. Not at point guard. Not at Arizona. You need a guy with Kevin Parrom balls. A guy who takes a bullet in the leg and is back on the court. I guy who won't allow easy buckets. And Parker is not that guy by a long shot.

As the game unfolded it was clear what the problem was. My only hope was that we'd knock down a few outside shots and somehow have the mental awareness to get the ball inside to Ayton & Ristic on every possession. But it never materialized because our point guard is passive. And that's just the way it was his whole career.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Personality wise...as far as being on court leaders and having grit/toughness - there really can't be a worse backcourt around than PJC and Trier. They are softness personified. That being said sucks to see these guys go out like this.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Not since Chris Rodgers have I ever been so excited to see someone not wear an Arizona jersey again.

Guy just did not have the talent to be a starting PG at Arizona

And that post game interview was beyond embarrassing
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I didn't feel like we were down 15, if anything, with how good Buff plays in the first, and how not as good they are in the second and how we are slow to start and then pick it up, I thought we had the advantage. Well, oh well.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I didn't feel like we were down 15, if anything, with how good Buff plays in the first, and how not as good they are in the second and how we are slow to start and then pick it up, I thought we had the advantage. Well, oh well.
No shit, same here. We’ve been a second half team most of the year I was fairly confident we could make a run. He has that attitude then good riddance!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

No shit. I was talking multiple people off the ledge at halftime. "Second half team, we will wear them down and close them out late." I had minimal worry at halftime and unlike PJC, I had absolutely no control of what the team did. It felt like they were down 15 when the team started getting their shit pushed in
Schnebly

Post by Schnebly »

On that note, I think they should have circled the wagons and insisted they lost because the entire team was constipated. Maybe file a protest accusing the Bulls of bowel obstruction? There may be an angle here.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Not gonna lie. PJC might end up in the Mustafa Shakur tier of my least liked Zona players. Can't believe we started a PG who couldn't drive and make a layup. Smh
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I just want to say "thank you" for giving your all for 4 years. Although not blessed with the size and athletism of others you always did your best and we will always respect your effort and loyalty. Thanks Parker.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No hard feelings against PJC, until quitting at half time yesterday.

Don't think he was ever meant to be more than a backup.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:No shit. I was talking multiple people off the ledge at halftime. "Second half team, we will wear them down and close them out late." I had minimal worry at halftime and unlike PJC, I had absolutely no control of what the team did. It felt like they were down 15 when the team started getting their shit pushed in
I was thinking we needed to get our shit together on D, crank the effort up on the glass and we'd win by double digits. Hell, I still think we could have done that. We let a much smaller team outrebound us by 6 in the first half and got gashed on D. Hit the boards and play D and we're fine.

Instead, we played scared like PJC apparently was, let the seize the momentum and got punked. It's just frustrating the lack of a competitor's response. I was on teams that were down at the half and people were usually closer to fighting each other than quitting.