The McKale Atmosphere

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bosy Billups

The McKale Atmosphere

Post by Bosy Billups »

Electric. The students look like The Show Lite (a good thing). Everyone was in it. No one left. The crowd came in when we needed them to.

What better arenas are there? There couldn't be 10.
gumby

Re: The McKale Atmosphere

Post by gumby »

Gonzaga's is up there. Just smaller scale. Students get better seats. A buddy texted me from game. Electric is the word he used.
Right where I want to be.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just got back home. What a game! So much fun.

My kids were going nuts!

Here is my youngest during OT

cats101

Post by cats101 »

The atmosphere was crazy. Pretty sure I won't have a voice when I wake up.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Great job to those that were at the game today! It sounded loud as hell on the radio feed.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Radio feed, you really are living in 1984 lol :)
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Bosy Billups wrote:Radio feed, you really are living in 1984 lol :)
Haha, tv muted while listening to the radio. I didn't really want to listen to the tv announcers. And from what everyone was posting, that was the right move.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

The best part was when we booed the refs during an entire timeout. They were at a special kind of suckatude today.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

The refs really sucked.

The crowd was awesome - major contributor to the victory.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I got to go. Was very loud and rocking from the start. I think we all wanted to let off some steam about yesterday's football game. Refs sucked. Some bad calls but the worse was the "foul" on PItts on the three FT choker near the end the OT.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

AZCatGirl wrote:The best part was when we booed the refs during an entire timeout. They were at a special kind of suckatude today.
Heard that loud and clear from my livingroom. Man did they deserve it. :evil: The number of bad calls against the cats leading all the way to those two non-calls for over-the-back moves was leading me to think the fix was in for this game
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Its been awhile since McKale had a noticeable visiting fan presence, but there was definitely a small but solid amount of Zags fans.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Unreal at Mckale yesterday. Unreal. Loudest I've heard since the 90's. Still though had 2 couples leave early--1 before end of regulation and the other couple early in OT.

I don't get that
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

Olsondogg wrote:Unreal at Mckale yesterday. Unreal. Loudest I've heard since the 90's. Still though had 2 couples leave early--1 before end of regulation and the other couple early in OT.

I don't get that
Saw and thought the same thing.

"Where are you going" is what popped in my head. Unreal.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:Its been awhile since McKale had a noticeable visiting fan presence, but there was definitely a small but solid amount of Zags fans.
I counted 2
gumby

Post by gumby »

84Cat wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:Radio feed, you really are living in 1984 lol :)
Haha, tv muted while listening to the radio. I didn't really want to listen to the tv announcers. And from what everyone was posting, that was the right move.
Isn't there a time lag? There was the last time I tried this.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I don't always listen with the tv muted, it depends on who the tv guys are. The delay is worth it to me because the radio guys break down the game so much better than most of the tv guys that call our games..
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Olsondogg wrote:Unreal at Mckale yesterday. Unreal. Loudest I've heard since the 90's. Still though had 2 couples leave early--1 before end of regulation and the other couple early in OT.

I don't get that
I saw a few leave at halftime, then a bunch leave at OT. I did a double take at the exits near me because I couldn't believe all the people leaving when OT was starting. If you have places to go I can sorta understand leaving at halftime, but why so many left when OT started is beyond me. You couldn't pay me to leave then.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I don't get that
McKale right now is hard to get out of because of the blocked exits and entrances. Some people (and I completely understand it) don't like fighting the crowds to leave. As an actual fan of the game, it is hard to understand anyone leaving early from that game. The person sitting next to me left just before end of regulation. I stayed and it was pretty difficult to get out and then I had to walk quite a ways out of my way to get headed east.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I understand it for midweek games.

Saturday games, ya got somewhere else to be? Your mundane life away from McKale Magic calls?

Seriously, wait until the end and leave with victorious, happy fans.

(The only time that backfired for me was in 1995 when Cal inexplicably had a whole section of fans in the upper level for a Thursday night upset led by Lamond Murray.

I had to spend five full minutes swimming through lameasses high-fiving each other after the OT loss wondering, "Were these people here just to root against Arizona?")
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Daryl Zero wrote:

I don't get that
McKale right now is hard to get out of because of the blocked exits and entrances. Some people (and I completely understand it) don't like fighting the crowds to leave. As an actual fan of the game, it is hard to understand anyone leaving early from that game. The person sitting next to me left just before end of regulation. I stayed and it was pretty difficult to get out and then I had to walk quite a ways out of my way to get headed east.

This traffic demon is really overrated for basketball games.

The VERY elderly (80+) that make up a good portion of McKale do not view basketball games in the same way we do. To most of them, its a nice thing to do and they get to wear their red clothing and they've been cheering for over 30 years. But its all routine, like going to Country Harvest Buffet in the Foothills on Sundays.

Parking and leaving after the game is never a big deal if you can walk. If you are willing to walk almost exactly 10 minutes from your parking spot to McKale you will never have any problems finding parking, often free. I suppose if you are 90 years old, 10 minutes of walking is a bear, and you must park nearby and deal with traffic. But even then you won't be in traffic for more than 10-15 minutes.

tl;dr "Old people habits" dominates lives, even when it doesn't make sense.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Sometimes people have to go. I'll explain when you guys get older.

Sometimes people have some place to be (job, whatever), and they were squeezing the game in. The game did run long (as my DVR can attest -- grr!), even in regulation.

It's not always beat the traffic ... or bad fan.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I get the excuses to leave, I really do...in a normal game. I had season tickets (both seasons when there was an A and B season back in the day) for 4 years at McKale in the mid to late 90's, when the program was at it's peak in the Olson days. The environment on Saturday was reminiscent, perhaps even better than those days.

I drove 1.5 hours to and from to go to the game with a pregnant wife who was "on call" for her job as an NP. We had a sitter for our son, and we were hoping to make it home in time for bedtime to avoid a nuclear meltdown (we did). We parked across campus to avoid the long traffic lines...and would never have thought to leave that game early.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I forgot to add this to my previous post:

#goodfan
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Oh I'm not saying you guys are #badfans. everyone has reasons to leave.

I was just pondering the thought process of those that leave ritualistically at 2 minutes, no matter what the circumstance. Which I find irrational. if you got kids and obligations and shit of course you leave. But why buy season tickets for 30 years only to always leave before the end OF EVERY GAME?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

#sadsies
gumby

Post by gumby »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:Oh I'm not saying you guys are #badfans. everyone has reasons to leave.

I was just pondering the thought process of those that leave ritualistically at 2 minutes, no matter what the circumstance. Which I find irrational. if you got kids and obligations and shit of course you leave. But why buy season tickets for 30 years only to always leave before the end OF EVERY GAME?
Grew up as Dodgers fans?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I don't get it either, but face it, if all fans were like us the population on these boards would be much higher. We're outliers, folks.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

On the radio tonight, Matt Santangelo, Zag announcer, was still raving about the "awesome" atmosphere at McKale.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Didn't That guy play for the zags a few years back?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azcat49 wrote:Didn't That guy play for the zags a few years back?
Yeah like 1999 when they made there first big Tourney run to the elite 8.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Correct. Santangelo at the point. Richie Frahm at the 2. Casey Cavalry on the boards. Beat No. 2 Stanford and No. 3 Florida. Lost to No. 1 UConn in a close one. Never been back. Monson went to Minnesota. Few took over.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

gumby wrote:Correct. Santangelo at the point. Richie Frahm at the 2. Casey Cavalry on the boards. Beat No. 2 Stanford and No. 3 Florida. Lost to No. 1 UConn in a close one. Never been back. Monson went to Minnesota. Few took over.
So Few wasnt the coach of the team that made it to the elite 8. I did not know that
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

There's a name from the past Casey Calvery. That was a good team.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

3goggles wrote:
gumby wrote:Correct. Santangelo at the point. Richie Frahm at the 2. Casey Cavalry on the boards. Beat No. 2 Stanford and No. 3 Florida. Lost to No. 1 UConn in a close one. Never been back. Monson went to Minnesota. Few took over.
So Few wasnt the coach of the team that made it to the elite 8. I did not know that
No he can't get past the S16.
gumby

Post by gumby »

cats101 wrote:
3goggles wrote:
No he can't get past the S16.
Had real meltdown against UCLA. Best chance since.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Props from Shulman, Bilas.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Was wondering, how was the crowd during the halftime football presentation? Radio guy indicated a fair amount of michigan fans were present for the game, so I'm curious as to if they tried to raise any boos and got drowned out or anything. Also, anyone have any discussions with michigan fans at the game regarding RR?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I was sitting in the upper ring where the yellow seats used to be and it isn't as loud up there as it is in the rest of the arena, but I didn't hear any boos from the Michigan fans. Not that you could have heard them over the Arizona fans anyhow...
cats101

Post by cats101 »

There were about 30ish of them there, not enough to be heard.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

cats101 wrote:There were about 30ish of them there, not enough to be heard.
The Daily Star commented that many Michigan fans gave RichRod applause
gumby

Post by gumby »

Had a guy at work, since retired, who said sarcastically, "enjoy RichRod" when he was hired.

Don't mind if I do.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Was wondering, how was the crowd during the halftime football presentation? Radio guy indicated a fair amount of michigan fans were present for the game, so I'm curious as to if they tried to raise any boos and got drowned out or anything. Also, anyone have any discussions with michigan fans at the game regarding RR?
You can see a couple Mich fans recording it with their phones:

:lol:

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

With the Gonzaga loss, Arizona now has the longest, active home winning streak at 36.