Mr. 'no rim'

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Mr. 'no rim'

Post by 97cats »

Allonzo Trier -- i pray to the gods that he and Thornton get one, just ONE, yr together.

i pray and pray and pray and pra… ……… ….. …..
Chicat

Re: Mr. 'no rim'

Post by Chicat »

I wholeheartedly endorse this thread.

:D
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So you're saying that zo will be a two year player and we will land Thornton? Yes please!!!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Wait, Thornton is next year's class I thought? I thought were were cooling on Thornton due to PJC and Simon? So many questions!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Oh man how cool would that be.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Hey '97-

Have you started your "Let's talk about '16" thread yet?

You're slackin!!!
loomer

Post by loomer »

So is 97 not high on PJC or is Thornton just that good?
friedrice

Post by friedrice »

loomer wrote:So is 97 not high on PJC or is Thornton just that good?
Likely the latter. 97 has said in the past that Thornton is his favorite recruit regardless of class. For that, I pick Bagley III. I figure we have a more realistic shot at landing his services.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Thornton, Thornton, Thornton....

That would be the top of the Santa recruiting list for me. Maybe even more than Rabb...maybe.

I love PJC, but I see a kid leading Findlay as a 1st year player last year, and I swear I watched him for an entire game before I could figure out what hand he was. No reason PJC and Thornton can't coexist...I could see Thornton scoring and weaving magic. We would def be a precise transition team with tons of options, just from our ball handlers.

Thornton would be my happiest get from that class. For his skills, for the continuation of the Findlay/Arizona relationship, for entertainment factor, to push PJC and vice versa....
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

84Cat wrote:
Damn I cant wait for Trier to be a Cat! I would love to get Thornton too!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

84Cat wrote:
These games in PHX please tell me that miller is there for these games recruiting!!! Oh Trier with another set of 3goggles!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Going to be nice to have a scorer on the team.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Our Saviour vs. Their Saviour.

How is he doing (stuck at work)
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:Our Saviour vs. Their Saviour.

9-13, 33 points, 5 rebounds
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Looks like Thornton to KY.

PJC!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:
gumby wrote:Our Saviour vs. Their Saviour.

9-13, 33 points, 5 rebounds
Missed four shots? Damn! Thought he was pure. :mrgreen:
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

EOCT wrote:Looks like Thornton to KY.

PJC!!
Where does that come from? There's an interview with Trier here: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /21217005/ in which he says he's talking to Thornton about coming to UA but trying not to press him.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm tired of PJC. Next!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

as many minutes as he can handle
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Stud.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The kid is silky smooth.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Well there is Mr. Trier. Completely dominant last night. Several of those crossovers were NBA stuff. And with the way that game was called, he easily could have dropped 30 plus, and he was only out there 23 minutes. The most impressive thing to me though was the free throws. 14-14 from the line for a freshman? Rest of the team was atrocious from the line, 21-38 (55%).
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gabe Marks, errrrr York, should be worried.

Although York did pick it up second half.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If we had a Smith, Stanley or Rondae at the 3, I would say maybe down the road. But shooters are going to have off nights, and if that was his off night at 4-9 and 2-5..... There's a spot for Trier at the 3 if Miller chooses, and still the ability for him to get 25 plus minutes a night if he comes off the bench.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

york wins floor time with CSM with defense and experience. though zo had a nice night on the glass, he's still a work in progress on the defensive side of things. dude completely loses his man and gives up a bucket the moment Miller subs him into the game. agree that trier would take the 3 spot from toll.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:The kid is silky smooth.
he has so much Chauncy Billups in him its alarming -- body, size, athletic ability, shooting ability, style, pace, vision, ball handling, etc.

kid is a pro
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He reminds me of pre-injuries Eric Gordon. I don't see him in the PG mold, but as a smaller SG who has a really good handle and ability to bull into the lane plus a smooth J.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

look at the majority of terrific NBA PG's over the last 10yrs -- they are that larger and solid player who traditionally would play SG in yrs past but now handles the ball.

Russell Westbrook is the perfect example and Chauncy Billups in college was very similar to Trier as a scorer who out of necessity played PG at Colorado.

my guess is Trier will play PG in the NBA --
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

He reminds me of Chauncy Billups or Derrick Rose. No doubt he will play pg at the next level. The only thing that alarms me about his game is over confidence. A couple of times he went 1 on 4 last night. When we start to play bigger teams, they will shut him down without fouling. Hopefully, he will be able to adjust to bigger competition.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:look at the majority of terrific NBA PG's over the last 10yrs -- they are that larger and solid player who traditionally would play SG in yrs past but now handles the ball.

Russell Westbrook is the perfect example and Chauncy Billups in college was very similar to Trier as a scorer who out of necessity played PG at Colorado.

my guess is Trier will play PG in the NBA --
I view it a different way. The NBA has become less enamored with needing a traditional PG. In the 90's, a guy like Steph Curry would have been forced to try to pass first. Now, teams are comfortable starting a scorer and varying the guy who initiates offense. GS probably had Draymond Green initiate just as much offense as Curry.

In the pro setting, that's where I think Trier would fit best, a situation where he can be an initiator of offense, but there are multiple other people who can do it.

The reason I would not classify him as a PG is because there are teams that utilize a more traditional setup, i.e., the Clips and Chris Paul. Not all teams have the many ballhandlers and initiators GS has. I think Trier would struggle in a Clips PG role, where he is the one the team looks to, but I could see him flourishing in the GS system. If that makes sense.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Trier is the quintessential NBA "guard."

He can create his own shot, gets to the rim, has the shot to make you pay for going under a screen, draws fouls, has a good handle.

Not sure I see him being able to defend PGs at the next level, at least based on his defense right now. Lots of work to do there. He's someone's CJ McCollum type (guard who can handle the ball, create and score) but not sure he can defend PGs.

Put him at the 2, off the ball, but in a system that emphasizes attacking guards.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:He reminds me of pre-injuries Eric Gordon. I don't see him in the PG mold, but as a smaller SG who has a really good handle and ability to bull into the lane plus a smooth J.
I like that comp. I was struggling to think of one earlier. Offensively, he reminds me of a D Wade type, but switch Wade's elite explosiveness with the craft and ball handling of James Harden. His shooting being in the middle of both those guys.

I guess I could have made it easy and said he's a poor man's combination of blending the two and him being right in the middle of what they bring