Ristic

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RockyRaccoon

Ristic

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Of course he is already one of the best players on the team. He was raised in Europe where they actually teach basketball as opposed to America where the game is bastardized by the AAU and the NBA Draft rules.

If Miller recruits more players like him, his average offensive coaching skills won't be so evident.

GET STEPEHEN ZIMMERMAN
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
UAEebs86

Re: Ristic

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's not coming here genius.
Pay attention to 97cats.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

UAEebs86 wrote:He's not coming here genius.
Pay attention to 97cats.
Honestly I don't pay attention to recruit at all until signing day. Is that true?

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yep, 0 chance. I even stopped following his mom's tweets, although they were interesting.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What is the reason he was benched the whole half?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

You're better at life than me, so you should know that.
-JB
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Merkin wrote:Yep, 0 chance. I even stopped following his mom's tweets, although they were interesting.
Fuck.

The guy seriously has "IT"

INB4 He is averaging 8 points and 5 rebounds two years from now.

But seriously that sucks.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ASUHATER! wrote:What is the reason he was benched the whole half?
I think it was his poor pick and roll defense. He didn't hedge nor step over in the lane
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

He missed a hedge off a ball screen for Alford, and apparently the result was him sitting the entire second half after that.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

CSM just said that keeping deuce in the game would've been too big of an ask of him as a player, esp with looney going on a scoring run.

*scratches head*
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Zeus the five star, NBA lottery pick wasn't having any of it.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Katzenfreund wrote:
dirtbags wrote:
CSM just said that keeping deuce in the game would've been too big of an ask of him as a player, esp with looney going on a scoring run.

*scratches head*
Yeah, we saw how that worked out. If Miller wants to make a Final Four in his lifetime, he better gets rid of his Mao-Tse-dong-like in-game dogmatism and rigidity. Stupid decisions like this would have cost us the game against better teams.

Miller knows way more than me...

but doesn't stop me from scratching my head and saying...damn would have loved to have seen Ristic way more second half. I mean how much better is it for our team to actually having a legit 7 footer we can throw the ball in to time and time again. Puts a lot of pressure on the other team. I'm not saying don't put Tarc in for the D. that's important. just saying to not play Ristic the second half at all????? Don't get it. I mean we want to make the Final Four no?????
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Miller said that the way Looney was scoring in the second half made playing Dusan on him very unfavorable for Dusan, they put RHJ on him and kept Zeus in the game. That's his answer.

Did we lose?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Yeah, that's his answer but it still makes no sense. RHJ can't guard Looney with Ristic in for Zeus? The whole point is why he didn't give more minutes to the one guy (aside from York) who was actually putting the ball in the basket when everyone else was having trouble merely dribbling, passing, and catching, nevermind missing the broadside over and over again. The refs had a greater hand in stopping Looney.

It's OK to say Miller had a bad night, too. It happens. Seemed baffled by Alford's changing defenses. Bench guys came to play. Doesn't seem unreasonable to say they deserved a few more minutes when the starters were, by and large, terrible.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Pop McKale wrote:Yeah, that's his answer but it still makes no sense. RHJ can't guard Looney with Ristic in for Zeus? The whole point is why he didn't give more minutes to the one guy (aside from York) who was actually putting the ball in the basket when everyone else was having trouble merely dribbling, passing, and catching, nevermind missing the broadside over and over again. The refs had a greater hand in stopping Looney.

It's OK to say Miller had a bad night, too. It happens. Seemed baffled by Alford's changing defenses. Bench guys came to play. Doesn't seem unreasonable to say they deserved a few more minutes when the starters were, by and large, terrible.
I was like you once friend-o. But words like that are not taken too kindly around these parts.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Post game, with a lot about Ristic. I don't buy it either, but what can he say?

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Ristic's earned more time. Tired of trying to light a fire under Zeus' butt. Got to ride the hot hand off your bench, unless Miller can't handle letting any of his starters know this late in the season that their jobs are not safe.

Even Calipari would have given Ristic more minutes by now. Quit coddling egos here.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Outstanding play by D R. Hats off. Miller answered my q why D didn't play more.
michcat

Post by michcat »

HiCat wrote:Outstanding play by D R. Hats off. Miller answered my q why D didn't play more.
He answered the question but I still don't agree with his decision to not play DR in the second half.

If I were dusan I would be wondering what I need to do to get more playing time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Who is Stepehan Zimmerman and where in Europe is he from?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Katzenfreund wrote:
dirtbags wrote:

*scratches head*
Yeah, we saw how that worked out. If Miller wants to make a Final Four in his lifetime, he better gets rid of his Mao-Tse-dong-like in-game dogmatism and rigidity. Stupid decisions like this would have cost us the game against better teams.
I've been saying this for the better part of three season and catch flack for not "root root rooting" for the home team.

Miller is a slave to KenPom and "the system"
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

catgrad97 wrote:Ristic's earned more time. Tired of trying to light a fire under Zeus' butt. Got to ride the hot hand off your bench, unless Miller can't handle letting any of his starters know this late in the season that their jobs are not safe.

Even Calipari would have given Ristic more minutes by now. Quit coddling egos here.
Agreed...otherwise we risk a transfer from Dus and a growing chorus of what Miller ball really means in recruiting circles.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We have athleticism and talent only second to UK and yet Miller makes the team play the offense of a system more typical of mid-major ball.

Love what Miller brings on Defense, but I wish he would be more flexible with this offensive schemes. We have the horses...turn them loose.

At least he's benching SJ when he starts playing boneheaded AAU allstarz ball, so thats saying something.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:Who is Stepehan Zimmerman and where in Europe is he from?
He's a mostly likely one-and-done player who could apparently solve all of Arizona's offensive deficiencies single-handedly.
-JB
Salty

Post by Salty »

Head scratching for sure!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Katzenfreund wrote:Miller's 'answer'...
Sean Miller wrote:The reason I didn’t play Dusan more in the second half -- and you can call me crazy – but when Kevon Looney went on his (eight) points in three minute run. The way (Looney) was scoring against our defense it wouldn’t have put Dusan in a favorable position of what we would have had to ask him to do.

So because of that we kept Rondae (Hollis-Jefferson) on Looney, kept Kaleb (Tarczewski) in the game more, and that took away from some extra opportunity that maybe we could have played Dusan with.

So, Looney and UCLA went on an 8-0 and 17-0 run, respectively, and that's why Tarczewski was the better choice over Ristić... mmkay. That's self-contradictory nonsense but no logic explanation. At least Miller is OK with the 'crazy' label from now on.
What he didn't say, probably because he didn't want to throw him under the bus, was that Ashley couldn't guard Looney and in order to put Rondae on Looney he needed Zeus as a space eater on defense to guard the rim and hedge effectively which Dusan cannot do as well yet.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Ristic had a good game and I love that he's gonna be a big part of the future. But people on this board are way too reactionary. Which is nothing new and will never change. Miller's paid to teach these kids how to be men, to handle their personalities, to guide them through a season....hopefully building to something great. He's not paid to act like a hindsight-dissecting keyboard warrior who knows dick about basketball. Or else we could hire Rocky Racoon or some other troll to make the decisions and save some cash up front.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

pokinmik wrote:Ristic had a good game and I love that he's gonna be a big part of the future. But people on this board are way too reactionary. Which is nothing new and will never change. Miller's paid to teach these kids how to be men, to handle their personalities, to guide them through a season....hopefully building to something great. He's not paid to act like a hindsight-dissecting keyboard warrior who knows dick about basketball. Or else we could hire Rocky Racoon or some other troll to make the decisions and save some cash up front.
+1

This and your other post are spot on.
-JB
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pokinmik wrote:Ristic had a good game and I love that he's gonna be a big part of the future. But people on this board are way too reactionary. Which is nothing new and will never change. Miller's paid to teach these kids how to be men, to handle their personalities, to guide them through a season....hopefully building to something great. He's not paid to act like a hindsight-dissecting keyboard warrior who knows dick about basketball. Or else we could hire Rocky Racoon or some other troll to make the decisions and save some cash up front.
He's actually paid to win games and sell tickets. That other stuff is extra.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Katzenfreund wrote:...a big clumsy piece of meat...
Hey, I resemble that remark!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ASUHATER! wrote:
He's actually paid to win games and sell tickets. That other stuff is extra.
That's included in 'guiding thru the season'. I forgot to mention talking to press, skipping alumni gatherings, and a bunch of other shit too but thanks for the input.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Katzenfreund wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Katzenfreund wrote:...a big clumsy piece of meat...
Hey, I resemble that remark!
I actually thought twice before typing that. But it was time to tell the world the truth about you, sorry POM.
Oh, it's ok, the world has seen my clumsiness far before you've pointed it out.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Katzenfreund wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Katzenfreund wrote:Miller's 'answer'...
Sean Miller wrote:The reason I didn’t play Dusan more in the second half -- and you can call me crazy – but when Kevon Looney went on his (eight) points in three minute run. The way (Looney) was scoring against our defense it wouldn’t have put Dusan in a favorable position of what we would have had to ask him to do.

So because of that we kept Rondae (Hollis-Jefferson) on Looney, kept Kaleb (Tarczewski) in the game more, and that took away from some extra opportunity that maybe we could have played Dusan with.

So, Looney and UCLA went on an 8-0 and 17-0 run, respectively, and that's why Tarczewski was the better choice over Ristić... mmkay. That's self-contradictory nonsense but no logic explanation. At least Miller is OK with the 'crazy' label from now on.
What he didn't say, probably because he didn't want to throw him under the bus, was that Ashley couldn't guard Looney and in order to put Rondae on Looney he needed Zeus as a space eater on defense to guard the rim and hedge effectively which Dusan cannot do as well yet.
Ashley played like doo-doo again and Miller avoided calling him out, that's correct. However, when a shitty opponent goes on a 17-0 scoring run while the best player rides the pine, the coach made the wrong decision. There's no way around that and Miller should have owned up to it. Tarczewski might be a 'space eater' but there's more to basketball post play than just being a big clumsy piece of meat on the defensive end of the paint.
Bingo.

I think Millers Freudian reaction to Ristic not playing in the 2nd half during the post game interview was quite telling.......I think he realized he screwed up.

The excuse that Ristic wasn't playing because of Looney doesn't hold water. Looney did quite well with Tarc in the game. After one gives up a 17-0 (or whatever it was) run you would think one might realize that defense wasn't the biggest issue. Hell, if Ristic gave up 3 pointers to Looney every single possession but managed to score a few points at the other end we would have still been better off.

I have to wonder if Miller is playing psychological games with Tarc trying to get him amped up before the tournament. It will be interesting to see how many minutes Dusan gets against Colorado on Thursday.

One things for sure, we are going to see a lot of 2-3 zones over the next several weeks.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Either:

1. Zeus' ego needs to be coddled and Miller didn't want to let that out
or
2. Miller had a KO moment and forgot Ristic was on his team

The Looney argument was just tossing something out there and it's not sticking.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:Either:

or

I think Chi's argument that it was actually about Ashley but Miller didn't want to throw him under the bus has some merit.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

LOL at calling Ristic our "best player". There are two ends of the court gentlemen and Ristic is not TJ McConnell.

or

If only life and basketball were truly this simple (read: simplistic).
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Ok, lets say Miller screwed up. He didn't play Ristic, and he should have.

Shame on him for a double digit win on the worst offensive night for his starters in the history of ever.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Katzenfreund wrote:Pulling an outstanding Ristić for the slightest lapse, only to allow our subpar junior center to gain confidence for the 20th time in a row at the expense of a possible loss, might just shatter the freshman's confidence in return. That way Miller could end up with a mediocre Stone Hands and a frustrated, insecure Dusan at the same time.
aka, angelo chol syndrome.

to be fair, there were a few times where it looked like DR had no idea where he was supposed to be in an offensive play. but the guy has great instincts and seems to put himself in the right place to open gaps and help us score down low.

anyone know if Dusan knows / plays the 4 at all during practice?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Chicat wrote:LOL at calling Ristic our "best player". There are two ends of the court gentlemen and Ristic is not TJ McConnell.

or

TJ got torched - Bryce put up 22 points on just 13 shots against 1 turnover. He's not the one you want to point to as having a good game defensively. He was basically the only guy who had a bad defensive game, including our usually defensively weak bench players.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

legallykenny wrote:
Chicat wrote:LOL at calling Ristic our "best player". There are two ends of the court gentlemen and Ristic is not TJ McConnell.

or

TJ got torched - Bryce put up 22 points on just 13 shots against 1 turnover. He's not the one you want to point to as having a good game defensively. He was basically the only guy who had a bad defensive game, including our usually defensively weak bench players.
He was off and on last night. There were stretches when he was completely blanketing Alford.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Off the top of my head there was the completely open three he drained because someone screwed up the switch and that baseline jumper where TJ played great D and Alford hit what was a tough shot. He also scored two on Pitts. Take away his five free throws and now you're at 10 points. That's not "torched". Especially since there were two possessions in the middle of the second half when Alford didn't even get the chance to touch the ball.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

If Miller is insisting on Playing Zeus and we are saying BA can't defend, why not put Ristic in for BA once in a while. He has some outside game. And the defense apparently would not lose much. Who is better offensively, BA or Ristic?

But what do I know.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think it's fair to say that no one (coaches included), except Ristic, had a very good game yesterday.

Our starters shot 9 of 36 against our biggest rival.

It doesn't matter that this isn't a typical ranked UCLA team, they always seem to play us tough, and we stank yesterday.

And yet we won by 10.

Move on people.
az91

Post by az91 »

Will Ristic ever be able to play defense well enough to play sustained minutes in the future on a Sean Miller coached team? Didn't Bejarano depart because he just could not defend up to Miller's standards?

It seems there are several possibilities why Miller did not play Ristic more in the second half:
  • Miller did not think Risctic could defend Looney.
    Miller was afraid of ruining Tarc's confidence.
    Miller forgot that Ristic was playing well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

psiclist23 wrote:If Miller is insisting on Playing Zeus and we are saying BA can't defend, why not put Ristic in for BA once in a while. He has some outside game. And the defense apparently would not lose much. Who is better offensively, BA or Ristic?

But what do I know.
If you play a front line of Zeus, Ristic, and RHJ and ask Rondae to check the hottest hand who happens to be a stretch 4, who ends up on the perimeter guarding the small forward?
az91 wrote:Will Ristic ever be able to play defense well enough to play sustained minutes in the future on a Sean Miller coached team? Didn't Bejarano depart because he just could not defend up to Miller's standards?
Ristic is already visibly better at defense than he was early in the season. If he can really work the agility drills in the offseason and can hedge out on guards effectively then he's just the type of center Miller needs for his system. Too bad he didn't grow up playing soccer. He might already be there.
az91 wrote:It seems there are several possibilities why Miller did not play Ristic more in the second half:
  • Miller did not think Risctic could defend Looney.
    Miller was afraid of ruining Tarc's confidence.
    Miller forgot that Ristic was playing well.
Only one of those really makes sense.