The Official Can We leave the Pac-12 Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3goggles

The Official Can We leave the Pac-12 Thread

Post by 3goggles »

Let's go joing the Big 12(10) and make Kansas our bitch!!!
PieceOfMeat

Re: The Official Can We leave the Pac-12 Thread

Post by PieceOfMeat »

we could just join Gonzaga's conference and have an easy path to a high seed every year.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Plus Gonzaga swept their conference awards. At least those coaches don't have some petty grudge against the best team.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don't see why we'd leave one Mid-Major for another...cause without us, the PAC is a mid-major.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I honestly wish there was an alternative conference out there that we could at least threaten to bolt to. Alas, there is nothing...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bad idea on my fronts if serious.

The PAC 12 is good for Arizona. Sucks the coaches voted the way they did but it is all good for Arizona in the long run
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Eight of the Big 12 schools each will receive approximately $23 million.
TCU and West Virginia, which are about to start their third season as Big 12 members, received a 67 percent share in revenue distribution for the 2013-14
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle. ... =209513755
(Eleven schools made $19.8 million. Utah collected only $10.2 million, bringing the average down. The school doesn't get a full share until 2015.)
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... to-schools

Eventually money alone could determine this if they ever approached the school and offered a fair share.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yes. Big 12 could be a move, but we're not taking Arizona State with us.

And no, in basketball, quite the opposite is true: Arizona is good for the Pac-12. Quite the national prop, in fact.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Where does the sixth best conference drop without us? 8th, 9th? This is becoming the norm for this conference in basketball. It's a joke and been that way for a while now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Without us the Pac 11 would be fighting the mountain west and aac for relevance. Probably would be a 2 bid league every year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

I don't want to join the conference of truck stops, as Bill Walton would say.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

I wish someone like Jon Wilner, that pays attention to & understands the money flows in the Pac-12, would do some sort of analysis of "what if AZ left", or "what if AZ was an average Pac-12 team".

(Not Wilner himself, obviously, because he can't be objective about Arizona..)

By my cocktail napkin calculation, the "Arizona Effect" on our road games + our impact on the Pac 12 tourney is probably between 1 and 1.5 million in ticket sales & concessions.

Would be curious to see someone w/ access to all the numbers crunch them and see what our overall financial impact above replacement is, when you factor in TV, merchandising, NCAA tournament revenue, etc.

I have the feeling that while it might be a fair chunk, it would still be a drop in the bucket compared to overall (football) revenue.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

oh hell no

we may have our gripes, but the pac-12 is the best conference. long live the pac.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

So...23 million where 20% of the teams set to drag the average $$ down by 33% share each vs. 19.8 million with 8.33% of the teams to drag down the average revenue by presumably a similar percentage.

($23 mill X 8) + (2/3) $23 mill X 2) shared by 10 teams = roughly 19.93 Mill. for the big 12 with full shares.

Looking at about $19.4 mill per school in the P-12 with full shares?

Pretty damn close.

Then, is there a buyout? Increased travel? Pretty sure Dish just made the P-12 network part of The Top 150 = greater revenues.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.