National Perception of AZ

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

psiclist23

National Perception of AZ

Post by psiclist23 »

Even after Charles Barkley and others who's names I don't remember pick AZ to win it all, I have to read this kind of bs. Still focusing on the 3 losses. Not noticing we slept through them and still barely lost. And Xaver and NCU are a "step up in weight class"? After the Pac, which we rolled through, is 7-1, and WI almost lost to OR, which we clobbered 3 times? :lol:

I'll say one thing, if WI or whoever believes this take, they are going to be in for a surprise. Maybe flying under the radar aint so bad. UK here we come. edit: changed kansas to kentucky (KU to UK)

http://tinyurl.com/pplvfna

No. 2 Arizona vs. No. 6 Xavier

Thursday, approx. 10:07 p.m. ET on TBS

Arizona Wildcats

How they got here: The Wildcats cruised to a 93-72 win over No. 15 Texas Southern, and then pulled away from Ohio State in the second half of its 73-58 Round of 32 victory.

Why they’ll make the Final Four: Only two teams in the country are in the top 10 in both adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency. One of them is Kentucky. The other is Arizona. This is a well-rounded team that can win in multiple ways, and that’s crucial for any team that makes a run to the Final Four. With wings Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, the Wildcats have two of the best players remaining in the tournament, as well as two potential first-round picks (Johnson will be a lottery pick) in June’s NBA draft. Arizona is very good inside the arc offensively, ranking 19th in the country in two-point percentage. Xavier, meanwhile, is 212th in two-point defense. The Wildcats should be able to control the pace in their Sweet 16 matchup with Xavier. No matter if they play Wisconsin or North Carolina, they’re going to be the best defensive team on the floor. They proved in their early-season win over Gonzaga that they can handle top-level offenses. Arizona has been one of the best teams in the country over the last two months. They could keep that rolling right into April.

Why they won’t make the Final Four: As good as this team is, it is still prone to scoring droughts. That would be bad news against either Wisconsin or North Carolina, and the Wildcats are going to have to go through one of those teams in make it to Indianapolis. If their offensive woes show up in that Elite Eight game, it won’t matter how well they play defensively. And while its 33 wins are impressive, Arizona's three losses—to non-tournament teams UNLV, Oregon State and Arizona State—remain concerning. They’ll be stepping up in weight class against both Xavier and the Wisconsin/North Carolina winner.
Last edited by psiclist23 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Re: National Perception of AZ

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

KU is done.

If you meant UK, retraction. If you were making a sarcastic comment about how much stronger we'd be if we had played for Bill Self in the almighty Big 12, applause.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Whoever wrote that and is dwelling on three losses from ages ago is an idiot.

Outside of that, the national perception of our team is pretty damn high. We seem to be the trendiest pick of a team not named kentucky to win it all. You have a few of your usual dickheads, but I would say most experts/analysts and fans think very highly of us and most consider us one of the 3 or 4 best teams.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:KU is done.

If you meant UK, retraction. If you were making a sarcastic comment about how much stronger we'd be if we had played for Bill Self in the almighty Big 12, applause.
whoops, I meant Kentucky. I guess that's UK.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

rgdeuce wrote:Whoever wrote that and is dwelling on three losses from ages ago is an idiot.

Outside of that, the national perception of our team is pretty damn high. We seem to be the trendiest pick of a team not named kentucky to win it all. You have a few of your usual dickheads, but I would say most experts/analysts and fans think very highly of us and most consider us one of the 3 or 4 best teams.
I didn't take it as dwelling on. Writers of these kinds of pieces are always looking for a "chink in the armor." Those 3 loses are ours and came at a time when I believe our young stars hit a bit of the wall. They have since recovered and have their eyes on the prize.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Whoever wrote that and is dwelling on three losses from ages ago is an idiot.

That blurb is the same reasoning I was talking about in the TxSo thread where they rated us off our play in losses.

Even UK, you can use that same reasoning. Well, they had issues with Ole Miss at home. If we do what Ole Miss does, we have more talent than Ole Miss, thus, we are a lock to beat Kentucky. You judge any team based off its worst games, it looks really beatable.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I know we have averaged 84 points over the last 7 games, most of them on a neutral court
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

My biggest beef with the National Media isn't that they have anything bad to say about Arizona.....its that they have nothing to say at all. I listen to College Sports Radio in my car every morning and afternoon. They will have experts, other coaches, players, and fans call and say "hey, this Arizona team is really freaking good." The guys running the show won't even acknowledge it and usually say, "hey lets talk about this NC State team."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:I know we have averaged 84 points over the last 7 games, most of them on a neutral court
I have some residual concern about the stagnancy against UCLA and OSU recently. The dry spells, even if we get it going like OSU, are obstacles you worry we can't overcome against a really high level team. It is nitpicky, because we are in much better shape than a year ago, but march tis the time to pick nits.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UofAlum05 wrote:My biggest beef with the National Media isn't that they have anything bad to say about Arizona.....its that they have nothing to say at all. I listen to College Sports Radio in my car every morning and afternoon. They will have experts, other coaches, players, and fans call and say "hey, this Arizona team is really freaking good." The guys running the show won't even acknowledge it and usually say, "hey lets talk about this NC State team."
I am happiest when they know nothing at all, or when what they do "know" is wrong.

So actually, I am very happy right now.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think what is missed is how many teams out there could survive 2 of there top players going 4-24 and having there starting 4 foul out with 5 to go and still beat a big 5 conference team by 15.

In Lute's years we were usually done at that point and I think if people looked at that Ohio St game they would see we won while not playing very well collectively
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat49 wrote:I think was is missed is how many teams out there could survive 2 of there top players going 4-24 and having there starting 4 foul out with 5 to go and still beat a big 5 conference team by 15.

In Lute's years we were usually done at that point and I think if people looked at that Ohio St game they would see we eon while not playing very well collectively
It's because of defense...you can always count on solid defense.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yep ODogg. 3 losses by 8 points.....on the road
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat49 wrote:Yep ODogg. 3 losses by 8 points.....on the road
9 points, but yes.
Machina

Post by Machina »

The five teams that were above Arizona (Kentucky, Nova, Duke, Wisconsin and Virginia) combined had one sub 100 RPI loss and that was the game Frank the Tank and another player did not play for Wisconsin. Arizona had three such losses.

It matters for seeding and national perception but does not matter on Thursday.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Once again, you've provided nothing of value. Well done.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Machina wrote:
The five teams that were above Arizona (Kentucky, Nova, Duke, Wisconsin and Virginia) combined had one sub 100 RPI loss and that was the game Frank the Tank and another player did not play for Wisconsin. Arizona had three such losses.

All of those teams sans Kentucky have also lost to really good to great teams. We haven't. It's a good thing there aren't any more shitty teams playing or id be worried. I think the experts should be looking at it from that angle for a change.

By quoting you I am not saying you are wrong or that I disagree with you. I get why we were a two, though I don't agree with it.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Machina wrote:

Duke had losses of 16, 12, and 10 points. Nova lost to Seton Hall and got blown out by 20 versus Gtown. Not any more or less disturbing than barely losing on the road like AZ did.

We deserved a 1 seed. The committee did a shit job, the left side of the bracket is so much stronger than the right side.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

pokinmik wrote:
Machina wrote:

Duke had losses of 16, 12, and 10 points. Nova lost to Seton Hall and got blown out by 20 versus Gtown. Not any more or less disturbing than barely losing on the road like AZ did.

We deserved a 1 seed. The committee did a shit job, the left side of the bracket is so much stronger than the right side.
This. But in a strange way it will probably help out west coast basketball...and maybe change the national perception for a moment...if things play out like I think they will.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Olsondogg wrote:
pokinmik wrote:
Machina wrote:

This. But in a strange way it will probably help out west coast basketball...and maybe change the national perception for a moment...if things play out like I think they will.
Yea same here...I am bitching but I'm not scared or anything, I'm looking forward to the challenge. This team can handle it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

pokinmik wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
pokinmik wrote:
Machina wrote:

Yea same here...I am bitching but I'm not scared or anything, I'm looking forward to the challenge. This team can handle it.
Just for the record, and feel free to call me a west coast homer, but I have Arizona and Gonzaga in the champ game. And I feel damn good about it right now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

pokinmik wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
pokinmik wrote:
Machina wrote:

Haha, great minds think a like. I have the same and I feel damn good about it. This is going to be a long week and Saturday will be very tense until the final buzzer but this is a much different team than last years squad
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote:Just for the record, and feel free to call me a west coast homer, but I have Arizona and Gonzaga in the champ game. And I feel damn good about it right now.
That would greatly piss off the basketball world.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Just for the record, and feel free to call me a west coast homer, but I have Arizona and Gonzaga in the champ game. And I feel damn good about it right now.
That would greatly piss off the basketball world.
Can you imagine how little it would be covered by ESPN?

It would be like Fox News covering this:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I had a Gonzaga Arizona title game as well from the jump. That would make heads explode
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

The East Coast media refers to Arizona akin to what Europeans thought of Asia in the Middle Ages. "oh yeah a lot of good stuff and riches are there, watch out" (so basically just repeating things overheard from others).

They use of "Zona" 100x more than your average UofA fan. I really only hear Zona used locally when referring to the student section, I have never heard a UofA fan seriously refer to the team as Zona.
Last edited by 1stNGrant Frys on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My FF is still intact.

Arizona, UK, Zags, and Mich St.

I really wanted a Duke Arizona rematch, but I just don't think their D is good enough against the Zags. So thats the way it played out for me.

Arizona v Zags in the National Chipper, even through I hate myself for going that way.

(I do two brackets, a what I want to happen bracket, and an analysis bracket using metrics and a lil ole eye test. I have the Arizona Zags in the second bracket).
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

psiclist23 wrote:Even after Charles Barkley and others who's names I don't remember pick AZ to win it all, I have to read this kind of bs. Still focusing on the 3 losses. Not noticing we slept through them and still barely lost. And Xaver and NCU are a "step up in weight class"? After the Pac, which we rolled through, is 7-1, and WI almost lost to OR, which we clobbered 3 times? :lol:

I'll say one thing, if WI or whoever believes this take, they are going to be in for a surprise. Maybe flying under the radar aint so bad. UK here we come. edit: changed kansas to kentucky (KU to UK)

http://tinyurl.com/pplvfna

No. 2 Arizona vs. No. 6 Xavier

Thursday, approx. 10:07 p.m. ET on TBS

Arizona Wildcats

How they got here: The Wildcats cruised to a 93-72 win over No. 15 Texas Southern, and then pulled away from Ohio State in the second half of its 73-58 Round of 32 victory.

Why they’ll make the Final Four: Only two teams in the country are in the top 10 in both adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency. One of them is Kentucky. The other is Arizona. This is a well-rounded team that can win in multiple ways, and that’s crucial for any team that makes a run to the Final Four. With wings Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, the Wildcats have two of the best players remaining in the tournament, as well as two potential first-round picks (Johnson will be a lottery pick) in June’s NBA draft. Arizona is very good inside the arc offensively, ranking 19th in the country in two-point percentage. Xavier, meanwhile, is 212th in two-point defense. The Wildcats should be able to control the pace in their Sweet 16 matchup with Xavier. No matter if they play Wisconsin or North Carolina, they’re going to be the best defensive team on the floor. They proved in their early-season win over Gonzaga that they can handle top-level offenses. Arizona has been one of the best teams in the country over the last two months. They could keep that rolling right into April.

Why they won’t make the Final Four: As good as this team is, it is still prone to scoring droughts. That would be bad news against either Wisconsin or North Carolina, and the Wildcats are going to have to go through one of those teams in make it to Indianapolis. If their offensive woes show up in that Elite Eight game, it won’t matter how well they play defensively. And while its 33 wins are impressive, Arizona's three losses—to non-tournament teams UNLV, Oregon State and Arizona State—remain concerning. They’ll be stepping up in weight class against both Xavier and the Wisconsin/North Carolina winner.

Huh? That is a point-counter point style write up where they give pro and con arguments for EVERY team left. Their "pro" assessment is about twice as long as the "con" assessment. And if one was assigned a "con" argument, I am not sure what else you could come up with. Unless people expect a "We cannot find any potential weaknesses for this Arizona team from this point forward".

There are indeed pockets where we still get dissed (especially TJ), but by and large we have gotten a lot more love than I expected. It seems to be a pretty even split between those picking either AZ or WI to come out of the West.

As expected, a vast majority of media types are picking UK to win at all. Aside from (I think) Len Elmore, who picked the Zags, everyone else I have seen who did NOT pick UK has picked us. Gottlieb, J-Will, Battier, Simon, Barkley, & a few others.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I know people talk about us. I feel like not enough take this team seriously considering just how good they have been. It's the little things like Jay Bilas talking about the West Region on SC last night, when he said that Wisconsin may be the best defensive rebounding team in the country, when Arizona, on the screen as his next topic, is statistically the the best defensive rebounding team of at least the last 18 seasons. I mean that kind of stuff gets under my skin.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I don't even care what our perception is anymore or how the media views us. Do what we do, keep winning, the rest will take care of itself.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

the article is written in the format of "best case/worst case" and has the "worst case" for every team remaining. It isn't an attack on us.

I have been just fine with the national reporting by basketball media. There are a lot of people picking us. And most have identified us as one of a very select group of teams that can end UK...and UK has earned their fawning over this year. There really isn't a chip on this shoulder...we are an elite team with some bad losses that we all think about from time to time when we are only up 1 on OSU or down 7 to UCLA in the 2nd half. We also know out team is strong mentally and gets even stronger for big games, which are all that remain. And much of the national media, even if they don't know those little particulars about us, know we are a real threat to win this thing. The linked article says something "bad" about every team.

If anything, the national media takes us for granted this year...overlooking what a great job our staff has done with the loss of two big pieces, the re-incorporation of a 3rd not quite to full health at season's start, and the molding of a super freshman into a defense first, accolades later program environment.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

you are correct. end rant.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

"the article is written in the format of "best case/worst case" and has the "worst case" for every team remaining. It isn't an attack on us.

I have been just fine with the national reporting by basketball media. There are a lot of people picking us. And most have identified us as one of a very select group of teams that can end UK...and UK has earned their fawning over this year. There really isn't a chip on this shoulder...we are an elite team with some bad losses that we all think about from time to time when we are only up 1 on OSU or down 7 to UCLA in the 2nd half. We also know out team is strong mentally and gets even stronger for big games, which are all that remain. And much of the national media, even if they don't know those little particulars about us, know we are a real threat to win this thing. The linked article says something "bad" about every team.

If anything, the national media takes us for granted this year...overlooking what a great job our staff has done with the loss of two big pieces, the re-incorporation of a 3rd not quite to full health at season's start, and the molding of a super freshman into a defense first, accolades later program environment."

you are correct. end rant.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

I'm -mildly- stunned. Seth Davis picked AZ over WI. He must have finally watched one or our games.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... igan-state
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It's very trendy this year. It's a solid pick and us being lower seeded than Wisky and an undefeated Kentucky team makes the risk/reward for an "I told you so" really good. I do think there are those who genuinely think highly of this team though
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

On the main rivals board they all think Arizona is one of the most overhyped and over reported on programs ever. I laughed.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Perceptions are like lips. Everybody has them and they sometimes chap.

(Yeah, I don't see that catching on)
Right where I want to be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

One game at a time boys. Enlightenment takes time.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Three best teams left in this tournament (in no order): UK, AZ, Wisconsin. It's total BS that two of them will likely meet in the Elite 8 instead of the FF. Duke has no business being a #1 seed; not sure Nova did either (no quality wins on their resume). So really, what it comes down to is which of these three can string together four near-perfect games this weekend and next. UK is beatable, but they'd have to go ice-cold offensively for extended periods of a game, while their opponent was red hot. I don't think it'll happen vs. West Virginia.

Predictions:

-we'll win a closer than expected game vs. Xaiver
-we'll win an ever closer game vs. Wisconsin, possibly going to OT again
-in the FF, we'll get out to a slim lead vs. UK (I expect them to beat the ND/Wichita winner), lose the lead for most of the game but keep it close. The big men on both teams will be in foul trouble. Booker will go for at least 15, almost all on threes. The Harrisons won't have good offensive games because they'll be bothered by our pressure. The game will be won on the boards and at the FT line. AZ shocks the world, winning by three when Booker's last second shot rims out.
-in the NC game, we'll face Gonzaga. Another back and forth game, just like December. The Zags get out to a 7 to 10 point lead, with early hot shooting. But their bigs get into foul trouble, and it allows Ashley to get some good looks. So we close the gap to 5 by half. We begin the second half with back to back threes by Gabe and TJ and get our first lead since the first minutes of the game. Zaga answers with a run of their own, taking a 5 point lead until the final minutes. Stanley starts breaking down their defense, getting to the line and hitting FTs. We manage to regain the lead with defense, foul shooting, and a couple timely threes, and we narrowly hold on for the win.

2015 National Champion AZ Wildcats
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Nah.

Arizona wins going away vs Xavier.Then handles a not-so focused UNC squad that is still riding on cloud nine after upsetting a FF favorite.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

LBdCactus wrote:Nah.

Arizona wins going away vs Xavier.Then handles a not-so focused UNC squad that is still riding on cloud nine after upsetting a FF favorite.
Meeks isn't even playing for UNC. Can't imagine Wisconsin losing that game. Face it: the rematch is fated.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I dont think we cover the 11 on X. We win but Miller won't Run it up
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:I dont think we cover the 11 on X. We win but Miller won't Run it up
Cats by 5 to 8 points.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

cats by 1-38 pts
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Meeks isn't even playing for UNC. Can't imagine Wisconsin losing that game. Face it: the rematch is fated.
Thanks for the heads-up, Nostradamus.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up, Nostradamus.
You're welcome.

Tonight's winners:

ND
UK
Wisconsin
AZ
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not so fast on ND. The shockers will continue their quest and will play a rematch with Kentucky
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:Not so fast on ND. The shockers will continue their quest and will play a rematch with Kentucky
I'd love to see it. But I think ND wins a close game.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

ND stands for No Defense. WSU plays on both sides of the ball. Look for the shockers to win by 9.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

WildcatStunner wrote:ND stands for No Defense. WSU plays on both sides of the ball. Look for the shockers to win by 9.
Do you think WSU is good enough to challenge UK?