Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Who's staying? Who's going?

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gumby wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Maybe it's to announce that somebody is staying.
I doubt anyone staying would announce. That would take away from the people declaring, who we should be celebrating. (From the AD perspective.) I'm guessing the only players present will be there to announce they are declaring.
They usually have a prominent players returning presser separately.
Just put out a press release and make the player available (to handle questions all at once).

Don't make it a drama.
Yeah that's what they did when Rondae/Ashley/Zeus returned all those years back and with Trier last year.
I'm old enough to remember when Loren Woods made it a drama. Grr ... but he made the right choice!
Right where I want to be.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

So is it confirmed Lauri is gone then???

Can't imagine a press conference w a lone Kobi up there declaring.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:So is it confirmed Lauri is gone then???

Can't imagine a press conference w a lone Kobi up there declaring.
Lauri staying would be a miracle. There's no time limit on miracles.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If only you believe like I believe, baby
We’d get by
If only you believe in miracles, baby
So would I.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How long to the point of no return? No retur-hurn?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

When is th press conference?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

I've already sacrificed a chicken. JoBoo is pleased
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Press conference tomorrow at 10 am, Trier just got a haircut, he's most likely gone...can't show up for a press conference needing a haircut...Brian Bowen waiting to see who goes b4 he picks a school...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Press conference tomorrow at 10 am, Trier just got a haircut, he's most likely gone...can't show up for a press conference needing a haircut...Brian Bowen waiting to see who goes b4 he picks a school...

He's the one who needs a haircut.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Press conference tomorrow at 10 am, Trier just got a haircut, he's most likely gone...can't show up for a press conference needing a haircut...Brian Bowen waiting to see who goes b4 he picks a school...
Dunno, some kids these days just like haircuts. We'll see tomorrow.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lol solid evidence. Here's what likely to happen: Trier declares for the draft and doesn't hire an agent and will come back if he doesn't like what he hears (which is likely IMO). Lauri and Kobi declaring and will hire agents. Rawle could very well likely declare and not hire an agent as well.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol solid evidence. Here's what likely to happen: Trier declares for the draft and doesn't hire an agent and will come back if he doesn't like what he hears (which is likely IMO). Lauri and Kobi declaring and will hire agents. Rawle could very well likely declare and not hire an agent as well.
If Trier declares without an agent how does that affect Bowen? Will he continue to wait to see if Trier comes back?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
If Trier declares without an agent how does that affect Bowen? Will he continue to wait to see if Trier comes back?
Your guess is as good as mine. Trier could decide to return as late as 10 days after the NBA combine which is in mid-May.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I am doing a 180 today, Markkanen is gone, Trier stays. Would Bowen still come here with Trier coming back?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Irish27 wrote:I am doing a 180 today, Markkanen is gone, Trier stays. Would Bowen still come here with Trier coming back?
I don't think so. Unless somehow Rawle leaves.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who is better, LM or Ayton?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azcat49 wrote:Who is better, LM or Ayton?
Ayton can protect the rim, block shots, rebound, score in the post, defend better. Lauri can shoot from the perimeter really well. Ayton is better. But that depends on how much effort he plays with. He looked like he got bored w the hs competition
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Who is better, LM or Ayton?
Ayton can protect the rim, block shots, rebound, score in the post, defend better. Lauri can shoot from the perimeter really well. Ayton is better. But that depends on how much effort he plays with. He looked like he got bored w the hs competition
Ayton has more diverse talent. Lauri has more motor and shooting. We'll see how Ayton steps his mental game up.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Apples and oranges. They're complementary players.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

Someone explain to me why we think Kobi is leaving? He has a ton of talent and could really be a great player with another year or two of experience.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

elriop20 wrote:Someone explain to me why we think Kobi is leaving? He has a ton of talent and could really be a great player with another year or two of experience.
A) It was his plan from the beginning to be 1-&-done
B) He's likely to come off the bench again next year
C) He and his camp likely see his game as better suited to the pros
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

elriop20 wrote:Someone explain to me why we think Kobi is leaving? He has a ton of talent and could really be a great player with another year or two of experience.
There have to be carefully weighed reasons to stay. Continued development isn't necessarily a good reason in itself, since that's what NBDL is for. In most cases, returning to college doesn't improve draft stock. But talented players who return have reasonable paths toward getting a guaranteed contract.

If I were Kobi, I'd return, but that's because I'm a fan who loved being in college and still loves Arizona Basketball, and therefore I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
A) It was his plan from the beginning to be 1-&-done
B) He's likely to come off the bench again next year
C) He and his camp likely see his game as better suited to the pros
Returning also has a double edged sword. It can help your stock if you address areas scouts are concerned about. Of course, you can also not improve in those areas and hurt your stock.

Too many people assume that returning will help. There are plenty of variables and for every player that helps themselves, there are new, talented freshmen to compete with in the next class and the possibility of stagnating.

This year would probably have made it clear to Kobi that he wasn't jumping Rawle or Allonzo in the rotation, so unless one of them leaves and Bowen doesn't come, he's locked into a backup role again.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Main Event wrote:There's a press conference tomorrow, if I had to guess probably some declarations.
Hopefully two, and those will stay the only two.
Seems pretty early. The date to declare by is still 4 weeks out.

With the new rules, you can declare and still come back by mid May.
Some (one?) of them plan to leave and waiting four more weeks will do nothing for them. Also, they may be being considerate of Sean; there are some potential pick-ups for next year still waiting to commit until they see who is leaving. Bowen is one of them I think.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Ignorant and whiny comment:

I don't like this new, NBA-centric world where recruits wait to see who declares before committing to program. Go to the best program, compete and learn, earn your way forward, and love the process and where you are.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAtrue wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Main Event wrote:There's a press conference tomorrow, if I had to guess probably some declarations.
Hopefully two, and those will stay the only two.
Seems pretty early. The date to declare by is still 4 weeks out.

With the new rules, you can declare and still come back by mid May.
Some (one?) of them plan to leave and waiting four more weeks will do nothing for them. Also, they may be being considerate of Sean; there are some potential pick-ups for next year still waiting to commit until they see who is leaving. Bowen is one of them I think.
True, Bowen for one is waiting for the Trier decision isn't he?

On Kobi, some people just don't like college. If you don't like the college experience, and just want to play basketball all the time, then the NBDL is perfect. Not saying that's his case, since I don't know, just a general statement.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

For now Kobi seems to be Jahii Carson but hope it works out better for Kobi
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin wrote:
But the player everyone in this class has been chasing is DeAndre Ayton, who, as a sophomore in 2015, was hailed by many observers as the best prospect in high school basketball, ahead of guys like Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown, Josh Jackson, and a healthy Harry Giles. Ayton grew up in the Bahamas and moved to Southern California in middle school, and he combines the skill set of the best international players with the über-athleticism of the top Americans. He can run and jump with the best guards in this class, while also possessing an impossibly smooth jumper. At last year’s Nike Hoop Summit, he measured at 7 feet tall and 243 pounds with a 7-foot-6 wingspan — absurd proportions for any basketball player at any level of the game. Ayton can be completely unstoppable when he wants to be.

“The Nike Peach Jam in South Carolina is the best event of the AAU season. Ayton was matched up with three of the best big men in the country in consecutive games — Wendell Carter, Mitchell Robinson, and Marvin Bagley [currently the top recruit in next year’s class] — and none of them could handle him,” said Scott Phillips, a national college basketball writer and recruiting analyst for NBC Sports. “Robinson is the best shot blocker in the class, and he got the better of Ayton in the first half. Ayton came out in the second and absolutely dominated him.

The concern most have with Ayton, and one I heard repeatedly over the last few days in Chicago, is that he’s content to coast on his natural ability; his effort level waxes and wanes. It’s as if someone combined the athleticism of Joel Embiid, the skill set of Karl-Anthony Towns, and the laissez-faire demeanor of Boris Diaw into one freakish and polarizing prospect. Ayton looked amazing in drills this week, but once the scrimmages began, it was easy to forget that he was even on the court. While part of the issue may have been the general lack of passing and playmaking from the guards on his team, Ayton did nothing to silence the whispers about his lack of effort that have been circling him.

Ayton has been in the spotlight since he was in middle school (one NBA scout told me he started tracking Ayton in eighth grade), and he has learned to embrace all of the media attention that comes with AAU stardom at such a young age. In the media session after the final day of practices, Ayton, who is committed to Arizona, was remarkably candid. He said one of the reasons for the Wildcats’ loss to Xavier in the Sweet 16 was that sophomore guard Allonzo Trier took too many shots. He also revealed that freshman Kobi Simmons is going to declare for the NBA draft, and freely admitted that he sometimes avoids challenging players at the rim if he thinks they can dunk on him.

“I think I need to work on my rim protection,” Ayton said. “Sometimes I’m like, ‘That dude can jump, I don’t know if I should jump with him.’ I second-guess it. I got to be like Mo Bamba — he swats everything.”

Playing for Sean Miller at Arizona next season should reveal a lot about how Ayton responds to coaching. Miller is one of the most demanding coaches in the country, often sweating through his shirts while barking at his players from the sidelines. The Wildcats will almost certainly lose freshman 7-footer Lauri Markkanen to the NBA draft, but they will still return enough frontcourt players that Miller can afford to bench Ayton if he’s not giving full effort.
All about effort for Ayton. He also desperately needs a PG to give him the ball.
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Is the press conference going to be online live anywhere?
gumby

Post by gumby »

More than effort. He could learn a lot about footwork, finishing over each shoulder and establishing position. Then there's hedging screens and help defense.

Free throws need work.

Gonna be spoiled after watching the skilled LM.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

jsbowl16 wrote:Is the press conference going to be online live anywhere?
PAC 12 Arizona already shows a press conference scheduled stream

http://pac-12.com/content/arizona-mens- ... conference" target="_blank
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

NYCat wrote:
jsbowl16 wrote:Is the press conference going to be online live anywhere?
PAC 12 Arizona already shows a press conference scheduled stream

http://pac-12.com/content/arizona-mens- ... conference" target="_blank
Thanks Ill take a look at that.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Props to Ayton for calling out Trier. Now, normally, I don't want a player to have their teammate's name in their mouth in any salty way, but Ayton is ABSOLUTELY ON THE MONEY in that take on Trier shooting too much vs X. Yeah, he eventually scored 15 points in a row...and he cooled the entire team. If you are gonna do that, you better keep making them, because you have eliminated your team flow. If you can go MJ and keep going, fine. But he stopped at 15 and then couldn't make anything.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Ignorant and whiny comment:

I don't like this new, NBA-centric world where recruits wait to see who declares before committing to program. Go to the best program, compete and learn, earn your way forward, and love the process and where you are.
Co-sign the whine.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Is it even new? I remember being a kid in the 1980's and 90's. I wanted to be like Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan, not the best player at my local university.

I really don't think it's new that young players grow up dreaming of the NBA instead of being system contributors in college. The fact that players make college choices to facilitate that dream, well, a lot of kids pick college on the strength of a program that facilitates their desired career. Does anyone rip a non-athlete who wants to be a journalist for trying to push his way into a school with a highly regarded Journalism degree program?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Is it even new? I remember being a kid in the 1980's and 90's. I wanted to be like Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan, not the best player at my local university.

I really don't think it's new that young players grow up dreaming of the NBA instead of being system contributors in college. The fact that players make college choices to facilitate that dream, well, a lot of kids pick college on the strength of a program that facilitates their desired career. Does anyone rip a non-athlete who wants to be a journalist for trying to push his way into a school with a highly regarded Journalism degree program?
I get the point, but the constant analysis of these guys on college basketball boards -- and during games by announcers -- pertaining to their NBAness just reinforces the steppingstone nature of the sport I love best.

Far more pronounced in basketball than any other sport. "Freshman Focus!"

So, yeah, I get it from the players' perspective, but it does call into question why this occurs on a college campus (as opposed to seeking a degree), rather than a professional minor league.

I know it's dampened my enthusiasm for college basketball vs. when Magic and Jordan were around.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Players have always gone where they can play. A Gilbert Arenas story is as rare as can be, and even that wasn't really a story...he was a scrub from the view of the guys who came to play the 2. Why would Gilbert Arenas concern them? Well, he did, but that was the exception that proves the rule, not normal.

In the olden days when everything was perfect, players just knew where openings would be because there was only one thing really happening to change rosters...graduation. Top level players considering top level programs in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's looked at the roster to see if they would fit in, and coaches threatened recruiting over them to get them to sign. They also knew they would be there for 4 years and not play as freshmen for many of those years, so they looked to openings 2 years from now. But they definitely still looked to see if there was another signed recruit or freshman or sophomore playing their position. If it was a junior or senior, they would still go and then get their chance. But it was still the same idea, under different "rules"...they were looking to make sure they were the man when it came their turn. The "turn" just comes as a freshmen these days.

The difference today is players also have to consider one-and-done or early entry or transfers when they look to where they want to go. Also, their process is covered with a microscope and possibly a colonscope by Scout and Rivals and a bunch of grown men jocking teenagers. So we hear why Bowen is waiting. In 1984, Bowen would see we had Trier and Alkins and Simmons and go "no...I am going to Michigan St, and I will sign early to stop them from getting another 2" or "Creighton has an opening" and would go. We wouldn't have heard about it, but the same exact process is in place.

Top level players look to where they fit. And because of one-and-done and early entry, there is no benefit to going to a power and sitting behind a star until you get your chance senior year. You have just taken 2 years of $4MM per out of your pocket if you are talented enough for early entry. How many of us would throw away $8MM? So they find where they fit.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That part isn't new. But how players used to realize their NBA dreams was by competing against upperclassmen to help them learn the system and develop and eventually earn their way into significant floor minutes. Leaving early for the NBA usually meant leaving after your junior year, like Michael Jordan did. I'm just whining, but I can see how former Arizona players from an earlier era with successful NBA careers sincerely miss their college years.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Main Event wrote:
The expected has happened, good luck to him. Hopefully he doesn't end up on an incompetent franchise like the Kings.

They would've poked holes at his game if he stayed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Main Event wrote:
Oh crap this is how those uniforms live on.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It is more common now and we also get to hear about it more because of the internet/social media/scouting coverage, but this isnt a new revelation and I dont blame them for wanting to do it. Take Kobi for example. Yes, he certainly played his way out of good minutes, but even if he played well, there wasnt enough for everyone and someone on the wing was getting in the teens. At one point Rawle was playing lights out and i was bitching about him only getting 40 minutes over two games. Now imagine if Smith hadnt gotten hurt.. and T ferg comes.

Sometimes you want to go to the great place where you are a supplemental piece, sometimes you go to the place where you can shine more on your own and know you will have a prominent role. I went through the same thing over 15 years ago. Left one college where i was going to be the number 1 or 2 starter to a school that was loaded w four outstanding pro prospects. Thought I wouldnt mind, but getting stuck behind those guys and not seeing the mound as much sucked. Having one of the 5 best ERAs in the conference but not getting enough innings to qualify for the leaderboards sucks. I still had two teams who were looking at drafting me in the late rounds before my labrum went bye bye, but w more PT would there have been more and a chance to move up a bit? Millions are at stake w these guys, in my case, my signing bonus would have been a plane ticket to my first assignment.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Good luck to Lauri. I hope he becomes Miller's first true perennial All-Star/superstar in the NBA (unless Aaron beats him to it). It'll be fun to watch him.

Kobi, Lauri, now we just need to know about Zo.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Figured that Lauri stuff was BS
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Only two chairs setup at the microphones.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Probably just the camera zoom at this point, but hopefully not
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That part isn't new. But how players used to realize their NBA dreams was by competing against upperclassmen to help them learn the system and develop and eventually earn their way into significant floor minutes. Leaving early for the NBA usually meant leaving after your junior year, like Michael Jordan did. I'm just whining, but I can see how former Arizona players from an earlier era with successful NBA careers sincerely miss their college years.
Yeah, but the NBA system used to be flawed in drafting with the assumption that college production would automatically translate into NBA success. The NBA has moved towards the projection of future development, and guys like Kobi, who have great athleticism and skill and lack maturity in their game, benefit.

The incentive to stay just isn't there, but it isn't a college issue. It's the NBA caring less about it.

All it really does is shed light on what has always been going on. Players in the past didn't necessarily care more about staying in school, they had to in order for the NBA to draft them. The modern world only pulls the curtain back on it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Right.

Elliott, Kerr, Cook, Stoudamire, Terry ... moved in and were seduced by the college experience. Have ownership.

Bayless, Jerrett, Stanimal, Lauri, Kobi ... looked for a place to flop until their ship came in.

Yeah, I know.

That's the way ... of the world ....
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Miller has to have a chair and talk about his players doesn't he?
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah, but the NBA system used to be flawed in drafting with the assumption that college production would automatically translate into NBA success. The NBA has moved towards the projection of future development, and guys like Kobi, who have great athleticism and skill and lack maturity in their game, benefit.

The incentive to stay just isn't there, but it isn't a college issue. It's the NBA caring less about it.

All it really does is shed light on what has always been going on. Players in the past didn't necessarily care more about staying in school, they had to in order for the NBA to draft them. The modern world only pulls the curtain back on it.
But which do you prefer? i liked the curtain not being pulled.