Sean Miller or Rich Rod...

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Salty

Sean Miller or Rich Rod...

Post by Salty »

I have long considered the Final Four to be the basketball equivalent of a Rose Bowl.

So... To put it simply, will Sean Miller reach a Final Four first, or will Rich Rod reach a Rose Bowl first?

CSM has been on the cusp 3 times in his career. The 14/15 squad may take a step back though.

RR was a game away this year. And has all the tools necessary to win big again.
Machina

Re: Sean Miller or Rich Rod...

Post by Machina »

Rich Rod
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You're comparing a lexus to a buick.

Sean to the Final Four and it's really even close. That's not to say Rich Rod won't have success at Arizona every year, but we're talking totally different beasts here.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Miller to a Final Four.

The UA football head coaching gig is a much more daunting job. The football coach has to find 44 good players in order to compete.........basketball only has to find 5-6 good players to be relevant. Rich Rods path is much harder.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:Rich Rod
I wondered what would bring this troll out of her cave. Maybe she and BC97 can giggle like little girls in the corner.

Salty: Your classification of a Rose Bowl appearance with a Final 4 is random and not accurate. Regarding the "Rose Bowl"... The significance of that game has changed with the BCS lineup and now the playoff system. The equivalent of a Final 4 in FB is now a BCS playoff berth.

The equivalent of a Rose Bowl (in the old world) was an outright Conference Championship. Miller has 3 in 6 years.

One could argue that a Rose Bowl berth (when it was one of the Big 4) was the equivalent of an Elite 8. Winning that game was a Final 4 equivalent. By that measure also, Miller has already been to 3 Rose Bowls.

I LOVE RichRod and what he is doing with the program. But to answer the relevant question, Coach Miller will get to a Final 4 before Coach Rodriguez places us in a BCS playoff game under the current +1 format.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Um the same year!!! Haha most likely it will be CSM
Machina

Post by Machina »

ChooChooCat wrote:You're comparing a lexus to a buick.

Sean to the Final Four and it's really even close. That's not to say Rich Rod won't have success at Arizona every year, but we're talking totally different beasts here.
Miller total package for a coach is A. Recruiting is A plus and his ability to relate to players is A plus as well and to get them to buy in to what he wants. However X's and O's he is a B.

Rich Rod Recruiting is C but is A in his relationships and X's and O's.

Rich Rod can start recruiting better or coach up the 3 star guys a tad more to get to a rose bowl. Miller's recruiting may start to suffer soon if he does not his guys in the NBA to start being super stars or getting to a final four.

Thats my reasoning for choosing Rich Rod
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Miller easily
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agee with Mr. Specter as it relates to a BCS bowl(vs Rose Bowl) which RR got us too last year. The equivalent is the playoffs and I think Miller gets us too a FF sooner then we reach the playoffs.

As for Miller not beibg a top notch tactition, I strongly disagree. Why would someone say that, because Wisconsin it shot after shot, many of them bringing rain in a dwindling shot clock? We may have just lost to the national championship team
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Machina wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:You're comparing a lexus to a buick.

Miller total package for a coach is A. Recruiting is A plus and his ability to relate to players is A plus as well and to get them to buy in to what he wants. However X's and O's he is a B.

Rich Rod Recruiting is C but is A in his relationships and X's and O's.

Rich Rod can start recruiting better or coach up the 3 star guys a tad more to get to a rose bowl. Miller's recruiting may start to suffer soon if he does not his guys in the NBA to start being super stars or getting to a final four.

Thats my reasoning for choosing Rich Rod
LOL, don't even neat around the bush Machina.

Your choice is solely based on who treats the alumni association in Phoenix better.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How can you get a B on Xs and Os when your team is top twenty in both offense and defense for practically the entirety of the last two years and top ten in both this year, finishing 2nd overall in KenPom both years?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Um, what?

Winning the conference in basketball is equivalent to winning it in football. Miller 3, RichRod O.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last sole UA football conference championship was the 1940s Border Conference. No sole WAC or PAC championships.

UA going to the Rose Bowl as sole conference championship is not going to happen.

So very easy to say FF for Miller.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'll say RichRod... and not as a diss towards Miller at all. I think that Miller is going to have a bit of a transition year next year; still a conference champion team, but he's just not going to have quite the horses he's had these past two years. (This could change if we have 2 of the 4 that are expected out decide to stay, and I think at least one (Zeus) is staying.) RichRod, on the other hand, has his guys in place and he's ahead of schedule. He's got Solomon at QB for the next two years, he's got guys to push him, he's got a hell of a receiving corps, Wilson at RB and guys ready to step up there, and his defense has been more serviceable than expected. Looking at the '15 and '16 seasons, I don't see a drop off at all and I see the team being better than last year. I think this year and especially next he has the Cats in the hunt for the CFP. (One caveat for this season is 12 weeks with no bye.) Miller will get his, though, and while I don't expect him to get to the FF next season, I also wouldn't be surprised if he pulled that off.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:Last sole UA football conference championship was the 1940s Border Conference. No sole WAC or PAC championships.

UA going to the Rose Bowl as sole conference championship is not going to happen.

So very easy to say FF for Miller.
Never say never. But I'd still definitely vote Miller. I'll go on record and say Arizona wins a conference title game and plays in the rose bowl by 2022.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I want it to be RichRod, because of the fact that Arizona has never made it to that certain New Year's Day bowl game.
But if I had to put money on it, it would be on Coach Miller.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The comparison really should be playoff vs final four. If you can't compare one four team championship to another, what is this world coming too?

The real solution is for Miller to run the read option and RichRod the pack line.
ChattyPaddy

Post by ChattyPaddy »

We'll get to a Final Four before the CFP. We know AZ basketball will always be at the top of the conference with Miller as coach, especially with as bad as the Pac is in basketball. The football landscape of the Pac-12 is much much tougher so I would not expect to be in the hunt year after year, too many good teams.